Fire Haley
02-16-2010, 01:21 PM
who you going to root for?

http://ss.sport-express.ru/userfiles/press/0/3956/main_original.jpg

schedule

http://www.nhl.com/ice/scheduleolympics.htm?season=20092010

steelpride12
02-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Well of course rooting for USA in this tournament. Switzerland coming up against the US in about 6 minutes so excited and can't wait to see Orpik.

steelpride12
02-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Just saw Orpik on his first appearance today and the fans rooting USA USA is great!

steelpride12
02-16-2010, 02:31 PM
USA up 1 to 0 end of the first with a goal from Bobby Ryan! Scoring on his own teammate how weird that must be

Borski
02-16-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm rooting for USA and Slovakia

steelpride12
02-16-2010, 02:58 PM
2 to 0 USA in the second after a great save from Miller and David Backes takes it down the ice for a goal!

HometownGal
02-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Ryan Malone scores for Team USA to make it 3-zip! :banana:

steelpride12
02-16-2010, 03:03 PM
3 to 0 USA goal coming from Ryan Malone our Pittsburgh native on the PP putting a loose puck into the net that Hiller didn't secure.

Shea
02-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Both USA and Canada with wins today. :thumbsup:

Not sure if Russia won, would look it up but the game is supposed to be coming on here after the Finland/China game. I'm curious to watch and see how Gonch and Geno did, hoping of course to not have to see much of Ovechkin. :thmbdown: I hope our Pens will find a way to be teammates with him and yet not touch him during these Olympics. Not to sound childish, but I still believe in cooties!

Why Slovakia, Borski? Ancestry perhaps?

Borski
02-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Why Slovakia, Borski? Ancestry perhaps?

Yup!

steelerdude15
02-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Congrads for the USA! :usa:

OneForTheToe
02-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Good start for the Team USA. I know a medal is a long shot, but beating the teams we are supposed is step ahead of the last few Olympic performances.

Shea
02-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Yup!

Just for you, I will now hope that they will get the bronze. :drink:

I just want USA and Canada in the top two.

Gotta admit I had no idea where Slovakia was and had to look at my huge world poster I have up in one of the rooms in my house to find out. Geography isn't my strong suit.
Olympics - entertaining yet educational ...... :banana: :chuckle:

X-Terminator
02-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Just for you, I will now hope that they will get the bronze. :drink:

I just want USA and Canada in the top two.

Gotta admit I had no idea where Slovakia was and had to look at my huge world poster I have up in one of the rooms in my house to find out. Geography isn't my strong suit.
Olympics - entertaining yet educational ...... :banana: :chuckle:

It was much easier to find when it was all one country (Czechoslovakia) :wink02:

Anyway, Sid looked real good with Nash and Iggy tonight - that passing play on Canada's 5th goal was just sick. Ah, if only Sid had an Iggy or a Nash playing on his line here in the Burgh...

Russia's up 2-0 and no points yet from Geno, Gonch or Capt. Ug.

tony hipchest
02-16-2010, 11:46 PM

dont feel bad. im rooting for poland.

(after usa and canada of course ::wink02: )

Shea
02-17-2010, 12:04 AM
Anyway, Sid looked real good with Nash and Iggy tonight - that passing play on Canada's 5th goal was just sick. Ah, if only Sid had an Iggy or a Nash playing on his line here in the Burgh...

It almost has the power of deflating you watching when you imagine what could be, doesn't it? :dang:

Shea
02-17-2010, 12:39 AM
Geno just scored! :banana:

dont feel bad. im rooting for poland.

(after usa and canada of course ::wink02: )

Poland ..... :sofunny:

And don't you dare knock Canada and USA. :mad:

These games have nothing to do with the polls - Poland - around here. :wink02:

Get with it, and Supa if you dare come in here and talk up shit about your polls(:sofunny:) - whether I understand it or not (which I probably won't) - then I'll seriously have to light your ass up with my keyboard.

X-Terminator
02-17-2010, 02:37 AM
Russia wins 8-2 - Geno gets a goal and assist, no points for Gonch. Interestingly, Malkin is playing with Afinogenov and Kovalchuk, and Captain Ug is playing with Fedorov and Semin. I thought for sure they'd put Malkin, Kovalchuk and Ug on the same line. Then again, both Ug and Kovalchuk are LW, so it makes sense to split them up.

So today's stat lines for the Pens: Sid 3 A, Geno 1+1, Gonch and Brooks no points, and Fleury DNP (and probably won't see any action at all with Luongo and Brodeur on the team).

Today, the hated Jaromir Jagr and the Czech Republic will take on the equally hated Marian Hossa and Slovakia. Here's hoping they both break a leg. HTG will get to see her favorite player Zdeno Chara in action, too, for the Slovakian team :wink02: :chuckle:

Fire Haley
02-17-2010, 12:00 PM
So far..

Russia pounded Latvia 8-2 and Canada shutout Norway 8-0.

The US of A squeaked by the Swiss - 3-1.

steelpride12
02-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Great start so far. Of course Im rooting for USA first even though their chances are not that good they will medal, but a win is a win.
Second I'm rooting for is Poland, which is where my family is all from, but of course I won't even hear about them so third of course Canada with Sid there and It would be hard to want Russia to win because I don't want Caveman winning the gold over Sid.

But hey im not complaining Sid has a cup!

HometownGal
02-18-2010, 03:03 PM
USA men's team is up on the Nords 3-0 early in the 2nd. :applaudit: :banana:

If anyone is interested, it is being televised on the USA Channel.

HometownGal
02-18-2010, 03:09 PM
Today, the hated Jaromir Jagr and the Czech Republic will take on the equally hated Marian Hossa and Slovakia. Here's hoping they both break a leg. HTG will get to see her favorite player Zdeno Chara in action, too, for the Slovakian team :wink02: :chuckle:

Looks like Fatsho has trimmed down a bit since leaving the Rags - guess they don't have Krispy Kreme in his neck of the woods. :pig: :chuckle:

You know how I just luuuuuuuuuv Chara. Herman Munster on skates. :yuck: :puke:

HometownGal
02-18-2010, 03:09 PM
Norway just scored on Miller - cuts USA's lead to 2.

GO USA! :usa:

supa_fly_steeler
02-18-2010, 03:16 PM
which games are on.

steelpride12
02-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Woot GO USA! 3 to 1 in the third. And Supa It's USA and Norway now. Russia and Slovakia tonight and Canada and Switzerland later as well.

HometownGal
02-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Bugsy just scores to make it 4-1 USA with a little more than 5 minutes remaining! :banana:

HometownGal
02-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Rafalski just scores to make it 5-1 USA! :banana: :applaudit: :thumbsup:

HometownGal
02-18-2010, 04:15 PM
USA wins 6-1 over Norway. Outstanding effort by our guys in red, white & blue! :applaudit:

steelpride12
02-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Woot great win for the USA! Great game between Canada and the Swiz if anyone is watching. It's 2 to 2 after the second period and I think Sid is very overdue for a goal!

supa_fly_steeler
02-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Woot GO USA! 3 to 1 in the third. And Supa It's USA and Norway now. Russia and Slovakia tonight and Canada and Switzerland later as well.

thanks.

steelpride12
02-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Ohh Big scare. Sid went down after a face off win, but got up and just had a nice shot.

steelpride12
02-18-2010, 09:01 PM
WOOOO! Sid Scores the only shootout goal to win it for Canada 3 to 2! Great job Sid so proud of you woooo!

OneForTheToe
02-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Sunday, Sunday, Sunday ... USA vs Canada. I can't wait, I hope that Crosby guy who plays for Canada doesn't get all the calls or starts flopping.:wink02:

X-Terminator
02-18-2010, 11:45 PM
The Canadians win, but the Canadian fans are NOT happy. The Swiss played hard and out-hit them most of the game, while the Canadians thought it was the All-Star game and thought they'd win on skill alone. If they play like that against the USA on Sunday, they're going to lose, because unlike the Swiss, the Americans have guys who can finish while playing just as physical. I think Canada will be ready, though - this game was a bit of a wake-up call for them.

steelpride12
02-19-2010, 01:36 AM
WOW a Huge win for Slovakia over Russia that went into 6 rounds of a shootout!

Fire Haley
02-19-2010, 09:30 AM
I watched both shoot-out games, they were awesome. I want to see Sid do well, but Canada lose.

Prelims really heating up.

Canada barely squeaks out a win in the shoot-out over the Swiss.
Sid with the winning goal.
Their fanboys must be having a conniption.

Shea
02-20-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm excited about tomorrows match-ups.

Russia plays and then it will be the big game with USA against Canada.

I don't believe either will suffer due to a loss (I'm not quite sure how the Olympic system works) but it should be a fun and intense game.

Can't wait! :banana:

supa_fly_steeler
02-20-2010, 09:56 PM
go canada but im gonna go support canada because they got crosby.

Shea
02-20-2010, 10:07 PM
go canada but im gonna go support canada because they got crosby.

Yeah, I hope Sid does well during these games. He has a ton of pressure on him not only because it's the gold metal they covet the most in his country, but because that gold would come during the games being in Canada.

I'm torn between USA or Canada winning the whole enchilada because of it.

Shoes
02-20-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm pulling for the Swedes, since I've been married to one for 30 years :chuckle:

X-Terminator
02-20-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm excited about tomorrows match-ups.

Russia plays and then it will be the big game with USA against Canada.

I don't believe either will suffer due to a loss (I'm not quite sure how the Olympic system works) but it should be a fun and intense game.

Can't wait! :banana:

A loss by either team would hurt because 4 teams get an automatic berth into the quarterfinal (Pool A, B, C winners + 2nd place team with the best record), and they would be one of the remaining 8 teams who would have to play their way into the quarterfinal. So say the U.S. beats Canada...they would win Pool A and get a bye. Canada can still get a bye if they lose in OT AND if the Czech Republic beats Russia AND either Sweden or Finland wins in regulation. Same scenario is true if Canada beats the U.S.

Shea
02-20-2010, 10:37 PM
A loss by either team would hurt because 4 teams get an automatic berth into the quarterfinal (Pool A, B, C winners + 2nd place team with the best record), and they would be one of the remaining 8 teams who would have to play their way into the quarterfinal. So say the U.S. beats Canada...they would win Pool A and get a bye. Canada can still get a bye if they lose in OT AND if the Czech Republic beats Russia AND either Sweden or Finland wins in regulation. Same scenario is true if Canada beats the U.S.

That helps alot and now I understand. Thanks XT. :drink:

Although, I might have to read that again a few more times in the next day or two. :chuckle:

Me ------> :dizzy: :sofunny:

Funny, when I was typing how I didn't know how it all worked out I knew you would know.

steelpride12
02-21-2010, 03:52 PM
WOOOO Malkin has two goals in the Russia Czech game and they have a 3 to 1 lead with with 13:00 left!!!

tony hipchest
02-21-2010, 04:10 PM
WOOOO Malkin has two goals in the Russia Czech game and they have a 3 to 1 lead with with 13:00 left!!!see... its still 1-1 in the 2nd here in MST.

are you getting the canada/usa game on nbc later? if so what time (in EST). all my direct tv listings say it will be nothing but skiing and ice skating in prime time. :banging:

OneForTheToe
02-21-2010, 04:17 PM
see... its still 1-1 in the 2nd here in MST.

are you getting the canada/usa game on nbc later? if so what time (in EST). all my direct tv listings say it will be nothing but skiing and ice skating in prime time. :banging:

It is on MSNBC at 7:00

X-Terminator
02-21-2010, 04:34 PM
It is on MSNBC at 7:00

7:40, actually. I'm pissed though, because I do not get MSNBC in HD - thanks Comcrap! :banging:

Nice to see Geno upstage Captain Ug with those 2 goals, including the game-winner. What's weird though is seeing Aleksey Morozov, who was a major bust with the Pens, with the C on his chest. The guy clearly had talent, but didn't do much of anything. He goes to Russia, and he's now a superstar. Go figure.

Russia's win makes the USA-Canada game that much more important. Canada pretty much is in a must-win situation, while USA just has to get a point to have a shot at a bye.

SteelCityMom
02-21-2010, 04:41 PM
I guess it depends on your cable provider cause it's on at 7pm on MSNBC for me as well.

Even though he let 3 past, Vokoun is such a beast in goal, as is Nabokov (sp?). They are definitely both teams to watch out for in the semi-finals, as are the Slovaks.

OneForTheToe
02-21-2010, 04:44 PM
I guess it depends on your cable provider cause it's on at 7pm on MSNBC for me as well.

Even though he let 3 past, Vokoun is such a beast in goal, as is Nabokov (sp?). They are definitely both teams to watch out for in the semi-finals, as are the Slovaks.

I think the coverage starts a 7:00. Who knows when they finally drop the puck.

SteelCityMom
02-21-2010, 04:45 PM
7:40, actually. I'm pissed though, because I do not get MSNBC in HD - thanks Comcrap! :banging:

Nice to see Geno upstage Captain Ug with those 2 goals, including the game-winner. What's weird though is seeing Aleksey Morozov, who was a major bust with the Pens, with the C on his chest. The guy clearly had talent, but didn't do much of anything. He goes to Russia, and he's now a superstar. Go figure.

Russia's win makes the USA-Canada game that much more important. Canada pretty much is in a must-win situation, while USA just has to get a point to have a shot at a bye.

About Morozov...it could have just been the system he was playing under in Pittsburgh that kind of took away from his abilities. Edzo was the coach then, so it doesn't surprise me too much that he found more success elsewhere lol.

Was so happy to see Geno get 2 goals and an assist tonight. Ovi did have a very nice hit on Jagr though. As much as I hate the caveman, that put a bit of a smile on my face.

X-Terminator
02-21-2010, 05:11 PM
About Morozov...it could have just been the system he was playing under in Pittsburgh that kind of took away from his abilities. Edzo was the coach then, so it doesn't surprise me too much that he found more success elsewhere lol.

Was so happy to see Geno get 2 goals and an assist tonight. Ovi did have a very nice hit on Jagr though. As much as I hate the caveman, that put a bit of a smile on my face.

Possibly, but he didn't do much under Ed Johnston/Craig Patrick either. It could have been the quality of talent he played with in his final years as well, which as we know was not very good. In Russia, he got to be THE guy, and his game has flourished - I think that's what he needed. He wants to come back to the NHL, but no team wants to pay him the $3-4 million per season that he's asked for.

The Canada-USA game, BTW, is at 7:45, according to NHL.com.

SteelCityMom
02-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Possibly, but he didn't do much under Ed Johnston/Craig Patrick either. It could have been the quality of talent he played with in his final years as well, which as we know was not very good. In Russia, he got to be THE guy, and his game has flourished - I think that's what he needed. He wants to come back to the NHL, but no team wants to pay him the $3-4 million per season that he's asked for.

The Canada-USA game, BTW, is at 7:45, according to NHL.com.

Yeah, I guess we'll find out soon enough. Both TVGuide.Com for my area and the NBC schedule page for my zip and cable provider are showing 7pm to 10pm with Olympics updates coming on at 10pm. This wouldn't be the first time that the start times differed between cable providers from what I can tell.

supa_fly_steeler
02-21-2010, 06:46 PM
oh dear how bad canada doing idiots come on crosby show us ur magic stick

tony hipchest
02-21-2010, 06:49 PM
damn, a minute in and sid scores. thanks sid! (be glad youre not a south american soccer player)

supa_fly_steeler
02-21-2010, 07:22 PM
lets go canada u can do it beat em 5-2

Preacher
02-21-2010, 08:11 PM
This is the single best hockey game I have seen in at least 15 years. Maybe even better than the game 7 Rangers/Canucks game Stanley Cup game.

supa_fly_steeler
02-21-2010, 08:14 PM
This is the single best hockey game I have seen in at least 15 years. Maybe even better than the game 7 Rangers/Canucks game Stanley Cup game.

Canada are playing poor imo, brodeur is playing :blah:

SteelCityMom
02-21-2010, 08:57 PM
damn, a minute in and sid scores. thanks sid! (be glad youre not a south american soccer player)

Hey, at least he finally got one past Brodeur this year. :chuckle:

Excellent game though, and insane that it's just a preliminary game. I can only imagine the intensity if it was a medal game. Miller was just insane in the net though...kudos to him.

supa_fly_steeler
02-21-2010, 08:59 PM
martin brodeur was the fault of this loss, unexcuseable for his incompetence he should be benched.

steelpride12
02-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Wow what just an awesome game to watch. Great win for the USA!!! Lets get this gold this season boys. Miller is doing his part, he made 42 saves tonight which is huge against Canada and an overall great from the back end D as well with a few goals and assists with Broduer play Ehh great Win!

Shea
02-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Great game tonight, that was fun!

Looks like Canada might be in a bit of trouble now. Thought I understand how this round works, but the broadcasters stated that Canada will play Germany on Tuesday - Germany?? They haven't won a game yet - so I assumed it would be a game to determine who deserves to move on?? I'm also assuming that since the preliminary round is now over that all losers of games to come will be done and heading home??

I don't know why I haven't caught onto how this all works.......

Nice to see Geno upstage Captain Ug with those 2 goals, including the game-winner.

Yep. But you wouldn't know it from watching the game highlights. It's all CU. :rolleyes:

Hey, at least he finally got one past Brodeur this year. :chuckle:

No kidding. :chuckle:

Why can't the Pens put up four against Brodeur, or hell even one? :noidea:

Ovi did have a very nice hit on Jagr though. As much as I hate the caveman, that put a bit of a smile on my face.

That was pretty good, wasn't it? :chuckle:

X-Terminator
02-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Great game to watch, and a HUGE win for the USA! Miller played out of his mind all night long. If he keeps putting up efforts like that, we have a legitimate shot at walking away with the gold.

As for Canada, this has to be extremely disappointing for them. They are playing on their turf and have the weight of an entire country on their shoulders, and so far, they are not handling it very well. Yes, they outplayed the US, but the bottom line is that they didn't get the job done.

Oh well, this tourney is FAR from over. Depending on what happens with Sweden and Finland tonight, the US will be either the 1 or 2 seed in the quarterfinal. Canada will play Germany Tuesday and will slaughter them, so they'll be right back in the hunt. I still think they will medal, and that they will be playing for the Gold come Saturday night.

Fire Haley
02-21-2010, 09:46 PM
USA! USA!

tremendously tremendous!

OLE OLE OLE OLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Dear Canada - Have fun with Germany and Russia

Shea
02-21-2010, 11:13 PM
Great game tonight, that was fun!

Looks like Canada might be in a bit of trouble now. Thought I understand how this round works, but the broadcasters stated that Canada will play Germany on Tuesday - Germany?? They haven't won a game yet - so I assumed it would be a game to determine who deserves to move on?? I'm also assuming that since the preliminary round is now over that all losers of games to come will be done and heading home??

I don't know why I haven't caught onto how this all works.......

Yep. But you wouldn't know it from watching the game highlights. It's all CU. :rolleyes:

No kidding. :chuckle:

Why can't the Pens put up four against Brodeur, or hell even one? :noidea:

That was pretty good, wasn't it? :chuckle:

Gonna quote my own post hoping XT is online and will answer my questions and confusion.

What the hell ........ Canada and Germany???

Shea
02-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Perhaps someone can also come along to educate me in quoting not only myself but the people I've quoted within a personal previous post that I've chose to re-quote. :chuckle:

Flippen quotage.

X-Terminator
02-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Gonna quote my own post hoping XT is online and will answer my questions and confusion.

What the hell ........ Canada and Germany???

The top 4 seeds get byes, as I mentioned earlier. The remaining 8 teams play a qualifying round, and the winners advance to the quarterfinals. Canada is the #6 seed, so they will play #11 seed Germany in the qualifying round. If Canada wins, and I have no doubt that they will, they will play #3 Russia in the quarterfinal round.

Shea
02-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Brooks and Sid competing - it's so weird to see that.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01KNfm6eJnaaF/610x.jpg

And Sid's penalty for the whack with his stick to Orpik, although not intentional, was strange to see.

Love the Pens so it's hard to see them going up against each other.

Shea
02-22-2010, 12:24 AM
The top 4 seeds get byes, as I mentioned earlier. The remaining 8 teams play a qualifying round, and the winners advance to the quarterfinals. Canada is the #6 seed, so they will play #11 seed Germany in the qualifying round. If Canada wins, and I have no doubt that they will, they will play #3 Russia in the quarterfinal round.

Sid and Canada playing against Geno, Gonch, and CU - that would be something. Wish it wouldn't come in the quarterfinals though. That's an intense match-up and game that I'd wish for a later round.

Maybe it doesn't mean as much for Canada, as it would our team, going up against Russia. Different political pasts perhaps??

But I'm getting that from here on out, that whoever losses from here forward is out. Right?

OneForTheToe
02-22-2010, 12:34 AM
Great game to watch, and a HUGE win for the USA! Miller played out of his mind all night long. If he keeps putting up efforts like that, we have a legitimate shot at walking away with the gold.

As for Canada, this has to be extremely disappointing for them. They are playing on their turf and have the weight of an entire country on their shoulders, and so far, they are not handling it very well. Yes, they outplayed the US, but the bottom line is that they didn't get the job done.

Oh well, this tourney is FAR from over. Depending on what happens with Sweden and Finland tonight, the US will be either the 1 or 2 seed in the quarterfinal. Canada will play Germany Tuesday and will slaughter them, so they'll be right back in the hunt. I still think they will medal, and that they will be playing for the Gold come Saturday night.

My prediction:

Canada 52

Germany 1

If they were to lose to Germany, someone needs to get our guys out of Canada quickly because the country would implode. Great, very intense game. Amazing effort by Ryan Kesler on the empty net. Pure effort.

We got a shot at the loot. Who thought that going into these games?

HometownGal
02-22-2010, 06:37 AM
Gosh - I was so proud of our guys in the R, W & B last night! :applaudit: :hatsoff: :usa:

Shea - I have to agree with you - it is really tough watching our Pens players playing opposite of each other. What I'm really having a hard time with, though, is watching my beloved Serg playing on the same team with Ug - the same cheap shot artist who took out his knee in the playoffs last year. :mad:

Fire Haley
02-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Canada or Russia?

Due to the seedings now one of these teams will be eliminated before the semis and will not get a medal.

Getting outshot 45-23? Only Miller standing on his head saved the game.

First time in 50 years Canada loses to US, since 1960 (they didn't play each other in 1980) - I don't want to spoil that so...... Go Russia!

Fire Haley
02-22-2010, 08:52 AM
This is the single best hockey game I have seen in at least 15 years. .

No doubt - you'd think NBC would have the decency to broadcast it in HD.

Or take off the stupid ice dancing and play it in primetime .

CanadianSteel
02-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Canadian chimming in here ....... good solid (road type) game played by ther USA who took advantage of there chances and full credit to Miller for the victory. Sets up an easier road to the medal games for USA and tougher one for us playing Russia (assuming we beat Germany).

You will still have a tough match in the semis versus the likes of Sweeden, Czech, or Finland but goaltending can take you a long way in this tourney. Dont overlook Belarus is the quarters either if you draw them...

I think Canada may go back to Loungo in net for Germany and maybe Russia....
Canada has the biggest baddest team in the tournament, and have outplayed our opponenets, but we are not getting the results.... I think extra pressure at home may have something to do with it.
Scary because Russia with all that skill might be our toughest match up and if we loose and dont medal there could be a National revolt up here.....
Good luck and hope to see you guys again in the Finals..

supa_fly_steeler
02-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Gosh - I was so proud of our guys in the R, W & B last night! :applaudit: :hatsoff: :usa:

Shea - I have to agree with you - it is really tough watching our Pens players playing opposite of each other. What I'm really having a hard time with, though, is watching my beloved Serg playing on the same team with Ug - the same cheap shot artist who took out his knee in the playoffs last year. :mad:

ovechkin is a scumbag.

i watch this countless times

HwCq9gd4hGI

X-Terminator
02-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Canadian chimming in here ....... good solid (road type) game played by ther USA who took advantage of there chances and full credit to Miller for the victory. Sets up an easier road to the medal games for USA and tougher one for us playing Russia (assuming we beat Germany).

You will still have a tough match in the semis versus the likes of Sweeden, Czech, or Finland but goaltending can take you a long way in this tourney. Dont overlook Belarus is the quarters either if you draw them...

I think Canada may go back to Loungo in net for Germany and maybe Russia....
Canada has the biggest baddest team in the tournament, and have outplayed our opponenets, but we are not getting the results.... I think extra pressure at home may have something to do with it.
Scary because Russia with all that skill might be our toughest match up and if we loose and dont medal there could be a National revolt up here.....
Good luck and hope to see you guys again in the Finals..

For me, if they don't win another game, it's already a successful Olympics. They have exceeded my expectations, because I thought we wouldn't have a chance in hell against Canada, Russia or Sweden. But it looks like Burke wanted a roster that could play well as a TEAM, plus get great goaltending from Miller, because that's the only chance they had since they were short on talent compared to the other teams. It's obviously worked well for them.

As for Canada, if they don't go to Luongo now, I'd seriously have to question Babc0ck's decision-making. Brodeur didn't look all that great against Switzerland and was very shaky last night. Luongo was solid in his only start, albeit against Norway. He should get the ball and run with it. Plus, I don't think the team has any chemistry right now with so many star players needing ice time and not having clearly defined roles. Babc0ck juggling his lines so much isn't helping the situation either. Anyway, I still think we'll see Canada medal or even compete for the gold - they have too much talent not to.

X-Terminator
02-22-2010, 10:31 AM

Yeah, that seems odd to me too. I'm still hoping Gonchar "accidentally on purpose" slips Ug a suicide pass and he gets obliterated on an open-ice check. That way, Gonch can claim plausible deniability if someone questions him about it. :chuckle:

Indo
02-22-2010, 11:12 AM
ovechkin is a scumbag.

i watch this countless times

HwCq9gd4hGI

The Beauty of Malkin's hit on the douche was that he was the one with the puck! And the caveman was just pummeled!

I wonder how they are doing as teammates this year?!

Miller played a stellar game...
Rafalski didn't look too shabby, either

Personally, I would rather see Flowers in there instead of Luongo if I was Canadian----but that's just me, a Penguins Homer at heart (thinking of Game 7 of Sir Stanley's Cup series)

Indo
02-22-2010, 11:14 AM
BTW, it's about time to re-watch "Miracle"

Someone (Costas, I think) said that Al Michaels' call of the game and his
"Do You Believe In Miracles?!" was voted as the all-time best quote by an announcer ever, in any sport.

I have to agree...

X-Terminator
02-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Sid and Canada playing against Geno, Gonch, and CU - that would be something. Wish it wouldn't come in the quarterfinals though. That's an intense match-up and game that I'd wish for a later round.

Maybe it doesn't mean as much for Canada, as it would our team, going up against Russia. Different political pasts perhaps??

But I'm getting that from here on out, that whoever losses from here forward is out. Right?

Correct.

And there is a LOT of history between Canada and Russia in international play. From the 1972 Summit Series, to RendezVous '87, the huge bench-clearing brawl in the '87 World Junior Championship, all of the matchups in the Olympics, the World Cup, and others. So there will be a LOT of emotion and intensity in this game, especially since the loser goes home with nothing but disappointment and shame. That game is already set for Wednesday night should Canada beat Germany on Tuesday, and it will be must-see TV for sure.

SteelCityMom
02-22-2010, 12:25 PM
The Beauty of Malkin's hit on the douche was that he was the one with the puck! And the caveman was just pummeled!

I wonder how they are doing as teammates this year?!

Miller played a stellar game...
Rafalski didn't look too shabby, either

Personally, I would rather see Flowers in there instead of Luongo if I was Canadian----but that's just me, a Penguins Homer at heart (thinking of Game 7 of Sir Stanley's Cup series)

It seems to me that they are doing well as teammates. They've played together before as well...either at Worlds or Juniors, can't remember. And of course everyone remembers that they seemed to have fun together during the All Star games skills competition. Both are fierce competitors, but I honestly think they complement each other well when playing together.

I'd love to see Flower get the start as well. He plays great in big games for the most part. I doubt he'll see any ice time at all this year. In 4 years he's almost a sure thing to be the starting goalie though.

Indo
02-22-2010, 12:44 PM
It seems to me that they are doing well as teammates. They've played together before as well...either at Worlds or Juniors, can't remember. And of course everyone remembers that they seemed to have fun together during the All Star games skills competition. Both are fierce competitors, but I honestly think they complement each other well when playing together.

I'd love to see Flower get the start as well. He plays great in big games for the most part. I doubt he'll see any ice time at all this year. In 4 years he's almost a sure thing to be the starting goalie though.

I think you're right about Flowers---he probably won't see any ice team this year. But he's young and he just keeps getting better and will be in the net in 2014 (provided, of course, that the world doesn't end in 2012, as predicted!)

7SteelGal43
02-22-2010, 01:26 PM
this is just too awesome for words

2CdJTfGiRCI

Indo
02-22-2010, 04:49 PM
this is just too awesome for words

2CdJTfGiRCI

The coolest thing about it is when the camera pans to the signed photo on the wall at the end

HometownGal
02-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Yeah, that seems odd to me too. I'm still hoping Gonchar "accidentally on purpose" slips Ug a suicide pass and he gets obliterated on an open-ice check. That way, Gonch can claim plausible deniability if someone questions him about it. :chuckle:

Don't get me wrong - I don't want to see that pickle face hurt, but I'd love to see Serg "remind" him of the cheap shot Ug laid on him. BUT - Serg is too much of a gentleman on the ice so I don't see that happening.

I read an article on AOL this morning that said the Canadian fans in attendance at the game yesterday were yelling "**** USA" towards the end of the game. Bunch of sore losers. :jerkit:

OneForTheToe
02-22-2010, 09:17 PM

I read an article on AOL this morning that said the Canadian fans in attendance at the game yesterday were yelling "**** USA" towards the end of the game. Bunch of sore losers. :jerkit:

Been skimming through the Canadian Boards and Blogs a little. Most of the venom seems directed at Brodeur, Niedermayer and Pronger. Of course, Brodeur gets the most. He didn't play great, but the Canadian team has other issues. I just read that Luongo will get the start against Germany for what it is worth. There seems to be a number of people calling for Flower. That is surprising considering all I have read from Canadian sites the past few years was how Flower wasn't an elite goalie. I guess his performance in the SCF last year finally cut through the Molson Stupor. I sure as hell hope they don't go with Flower. It's hard enough to see Sid playing for the other team, but to have to root for Flower to get beat ..... :doh:

Of course, a few morons blaming Sid. Yea, well without Sid, you'll would be no better than 1 - 2 right now. Unbelievable.

X-Terminator
02-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Been skimming through the Canadian Boards and Blogs a little. Most of the venom seems directed at Brodeur, Niedermayer and Pronger. Of course, Brodeur gets the most. He didn't play great, but the Canadian team has other issues. I just read that Luongo will get the start against Germany for what it is worth. There seems to be a number of people calling for Flower. That is surprising considering all I have read from Canadian sites the past few years was how Flower wasn't an elite goalie. I guess his performance in the SCF last year finally cut through the Molson Stupor. I sure as hell hope they don't go with Flower. It's hard enough to see Sid playing for the other team, but to have to root for Flower to get beat ..... :doh:

Of course, a few morons blaming Sid. Yea, well without Sid, you'll would be no better than 1 - 2 right now. Unbelievable.

Sid is still some fans' favorite whipping boy because of his antics during his rookie season (as if a player can't grow up - he was 18 for God's sake) and because of all of the attention he gets, which admittedly is excessive. Or, in the case of jealous Flyers and Caps fans, because he owns their team/has won a Cup. Boring!

Anyway, I've read the same things from Canadian fans. Many felt Luongo should have been the guy from day one, and I, too, was taken aback by all of the calls for Flower to start. He has been the best big-game goalie in the league the past 2 seasons, after all. He won't get a start unless Luongo really tanks, though, and I'm really glad they won't. The last thing I want to see is his confidence shattered should he lay an egg, because the Pens need him to be at his best down the stretch. Niedermayer and Pronger haven't been all that great all season (though Pronger had been better lately) and most Canadians felt they shouldn't have been on the team in the first place. They're both too old and slow, and couldn't handle the speed that the Americans had.

steelpride12
02-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Canadian fans I really respect for all their loyalty for the Canadian hockey team, but saying "F$&# USA" at the end of the game as HTG stated is just disrespectful. Gave me memories of Flyer fans hehe! It's funny that the fans just expect so much success(I can't blame them) and when they don't get positive results they attack the wronger doers, Broduer.

I think it came down to the fact that the USA did a great job from the defense stand point and with two goals and a few assists coming from the back end always helps. The biggest factor for the win and the entire series is that Miller has to be the best on the ice and with 42 saves he stood on his head all night, and with Broduer and the Canadians D struggle it came back to bite them hard.

memphissteelergirl
02-23-2010, 11:56 AM
If all the media reports are to be believed, I think they'll be riots in the streets if Canada doesn['t get the gold medal (probably exaggerating a tad there, but that's just how passionate they feel about it).

7SteelGal43
02-23-2010, 12:32 PM
I've been hearing reports that the NHL may not let players participate in the Olympics past 2010.

steelpride12
02-23-2010, 01:32 PM
I've been hearing reports that the NHL may not let players participate in the Olympics past 2010.

Yes that has been talked about since the start of the Olympics. No money or revenue coming in for these players and the league when there is a large break like this in the NHL.

Fire Haley
02-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Go Germany!

OneForTheToe
02-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Go Germany!

Not me. I want to see a Canada/Russia showdown

Indo
02-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Yes that has been talked about since the start of the Olympics. No money or revenue coming in for these players and the league when there is a large break like this in the NHL.

They had the NHL Commisioner in an interview on Sunday before the USA game).

He made a lot of good points about the 2 week break that is required during the Olympics---that the players love to go and represent their countries, ect. but he also made good points about the owner's loss of revenues during the Olympics and that it apparently strains some franchises.
Another good point was the possibility of injuries to players during the Olympics and how it could potentially hurt an NHL team's run for the Cup if a key player gets injured, not to mention the fact that these organizations are paying fairly big bucks and perhaps that is not fair to them if one of their players possibly has a season-ending injury during the Olympics.

He actually made a lot of sense and seems to be looking at the issue from all sides-
I actually wish he was the Comissioner for the NFL!

Shea
02-23-2010, 09:29 PM
7Steel, that little boy is beyond cute.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow. USA vs. Switzerland and Canada vs. Russia.

I'm disappointed that the Can/Russ match-up is so soon - wish it would have made it to the medal rounds. But it's still going to be a fun and intense game to watch, to say the least.

Wonder if Bab**** will stick with Luongo or go back to Brodeur?

As for the next Olympic games and whether NHL players will be able to participate, I hope so. I enjoy seeing them in the games and plus Geno and CU have already said they will be going whether they are allowed to or not - it will be in Russia afterall.

Me too. I can't even stand watching them touch that idiot. Cootie transfer is highly possible and not something they should take lightly. :chuckle:

Geno scoring on the PP, and then watching CU jump into his arms sucked all the joy out of seeing Evgeni getting that goal.

X-Terminator
02-23-2010, 10:15 PM
They had the NHL Commisioner in an interview on Sunday before the USA game).

He made a lot of good points about the 2 week break that is required during the Olympics---that the players love to go and represent their countries, ect. but he also made good points about the owner's loss of revenues during the Olympics and that it apparently strains some franchises.
Another good point was the possibility of injuries to players during the Olympics and how it could potentially hurt an NHL team's run for the Cup if a key player gets injured, not to mention the fact that these organizations are paying fairly big bucks and perhaps that is not fair to them if one of their players possibly has a season-ending injury during the Olympics.

He actually made a lot of sense and seems to be looking at the issue from all sides-
I actually wish he was the Comissioner for the NFL!

Trust me, you don't. Bettman is every bit as bad as Goodell is. This is the man who has presided over not one, but TWO lockouts, 4 teams relocating, the wildly unsuccessful Southern expansion into hockey hotbeds such as Atlanta, Miami and Nashville, the pussification of the game on the ice, ridiculous rules changes, inconsistent and unfair discipline...and the "glowing puck." There's a reason why the man gets booed everywhere he goes.

That said, I also understand the points he has made about the problems the teams are facing during the Olympics. This will be something that will be discussed in the next CBA, and there's a pretty good chance that you'll see amateurs in the Olympics again. The Russians might not be too thrilled about that, though, considering the next Winter Games are in St. Petersburg.

Shea
02-23-2010, 10:22 PM
I don't want to see the NHL players not being allowed to participate in the Olympics, just my own personal view.

But I'm beginning to clearly see that I could do a better job, hell anyone could, than Bettman has shown and done. I wonder when his contract will be up, and if there is any chance for someone replacing him in the near future??

Shea
02-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Uh-oh .......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Quiet_Riot_Girl/MYJERSEY.jpg

Papa and Mama Malkin are in Vancouver. They're Geno's little lucky charms. This could be a bad sign for Canada. :chuckle:

BTW, Mama Malkin is adorable!

steelpride12
02-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Wooo great games today Im so excited. Surely all will be on TV so im not worried about that and the USA game is on at 3 EST! USA USA USA!!!

SteelMember
02-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Uh-oh .......

Papa and Mama Malkin are in Vancouver. They're Geno's little lucky charms. This could be a bad sign for Canada. :chuckle:

BTW, Mama Malkin is adorable!

Actually, didn't Malkin keep his folks away during the finals because he was slumping with them in attendence? :huh: :noidea:

Canada vs. Russia was touted as the gold medal match-up early on.
Oh well, no medal, but it should still be a great one.

U..S..A.. U..S..A...!

steelpride12
02-24-2010, 11:05 AM
As for the Canada/Russia game I have to root for Canada. I want Malkin and Sarge to win of course, but I would much rather see Sid win over Capt. Caveman anyday!

7SteelGal43
02-24-2010, 11:42 AM
7Steel, that little boy is beyond cute.

I know, right ? they say that's his fave movie and he loves giving the locker room speech. WELL DONE :chuckle:

steelpride12
02-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Woo what a first period. All USA their late shots have to be lopsided for sure, but still 0 to 0!

supa_fly_steeler
02-24-2010, 03:19 PM
lets go switzerland and canada need easy competition for the finals lolz

steelpride12
02-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Wooot! USA Wins 2 to 0 against these pesky Swiz! Semi-Finals here we comes boys! Now let's go Sid show up capt. caveman please!

Indo
02-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Trust me, you don't. Bettman is every bit as bad as Goodell is. This is the man who has presided over not one, but TWO lockouts, 4 teams relocating, the wildly unsuccessful Southern expansion into hockey hotbeds such as Atlanta, Miami and Nashville, the pussification of the game on the ice, ridiculous rules changes, inconsistent and unfair discipline...and the "glowing puck." There's a reason why the man gets booed everywhere he goes.

That said, I also understand the points he has made about the problems the teams are facing during the Olympics. This will be something that will be discussed in the next CBA, and there's a pretty good chance that you'll see amateurs in the Olympics again. The Russians might not be too thrilled about that, though, considering the next Winter Games are in St. Petersburg.

I forgot about that whole glowing puck thing! How stupid. And I know what you mean about the Southern expansion-----I lived in New Orleans for almost 20 years and they didn't even report hockey news during the Stanley Cup series---now I'm in Alabama and most of the people here would rather watch Bass Masters Pro Series than sit down and try to watch a Hockey game. There is no market here and there never will be.
We shall see what happens, but I think you're right about the league pulling the pros out of the Olympics

Fire Haley
02-24-2010, 09:03 PM
I am so glad.

I would love to see the USA kick some diving Canadian ass

Shea
02-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Loved the games today. USA and Canada both win. :thumbsup:

Was surprised that the Can/Rus game wasn't ever close. The Canadians kicked ass. Feel bad for Gonch and Geno though. The next games will really be important for them and hope they atleast medal then.

Looking forward to the USA playing Canada for the gold tomorrow - should be a good game.

supa_fly_steeler
02-24-2010, 09:27 PM
lolz canada is on fire to beat the USA

5-3.

Shea
02-24-2010, 09:47 PM
When things got chippy at the end of the game, I realized that I haven't seen any fights during the Olympics??

I'm assuming that fighting isn't allowed in international play, maybe?

I also like that it's mandatory that every player wear a visor unless they were born before 1975 (I think that's the rule) and wish the NHL would adopt the same policy. It's such a dangerous sport and the player's faces are the most vulnerably unprotected areas on their bodies and an area where a catastrophic injury can occur. I want to see them all wearing visors.

Also, I'm not sure about how I feel about the rule of being able to decide who takes the penalty shot? That was strange to see the other night, yet it is a bit more exciting to see your best player in that situation.

Thoughts?? Anyone?...........

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-24-2010, 11:52 PM
USA vs Finland and Canada vs (Sweden in the semi's probably) . Its just crazy how many really good countries there are in hockey. Could be a rematch of Salt Lake.

Shea
02-25-2010, 12:56 AM
Actually, didn't Malkin keep his folks away during the finals because he was slumping with them in attendence? :huh: :noidea:

I don't know - don't recall that being the case, could be wrong though, but I don't think I am. I remember him kicking ass with his parents being constantly in the stands and loved the camera going to Mama Malkin and her adorable reactions whenever Geno scored.

The success of Evgeni during those playoffs translated into Mama Malkin becoming a local celebrity on camera in Pittsburgh which translated into recipes printed in local papers that suggested her home cooking might have played a part (and other cute entries from the internet world) but who knows - who cares? He kicked ass during that playoff run and his parents just happened to be in the stands.

He did win the Conn Smythe, where within that is an overall slump? :huh: :noidea:

Borski
02-25-2010, 01:18 AM
Whooo Slovakia Wins!

Shea
02-25-2010, 01:22 AM
Finland versus US and Canada versus Slovakia to get to the gold medal round.

Borski, Slovakia just might get you a medal that you're routing for, but I'm hoping it's just a bronze. I want Canada and the States taking silver and gold.

Borski
02-25-2010, 01:32 AM
Finland versus US and Canada versus Slovakia to get to the gold medal round.

Borski, Slovakia just might get you a medal that you're routing for, but I'm hoping it's just a bronze. I want Canada and the States taking silver and gold.

I'd be happy either either Gold or Silver with USA getting the other one. :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
02-25-2010, 07:29 AM
When things got chippy at the end of the game, I realized that I haven't seen any fights during the Olympics??

I also like that it's mandatory that every player wear a visor unless they were born before 1975 (I think that's the rule) and wish the NHL would adopt the same policy. It's such a dangerous sport and the player's faces are the most vulnerably unprotected areas on their bodies and an area where a catastrophic injury can occur. I want to see them all wearing visors.

Also, I'm not sure about how I feel about the rule of being able to decide who takes the penalty shot? That was strange to see the other night, yet it is a bit more exciting to see your best player in that situation.

Thoughts?? Anyone?...........

Fighting is not allowed in international play. You get a major + game misconduct and an automatic one-game suspension. As important as this tournament is, nobody can afford to lose a player for even a game. If this were an NHL game, there would have been several fights, guaranteed.

As for visors, I'd rather keep it optional at the NHL level. They know the risks involved, and if they don't want to wear one, they should have that choice. I also think that if you wear a visor and you fight, you should take your helmet off. Having a visor on in a fight gives you an unfair advantage over someone who doesn't. Besides, if fighting is part of your game, you probably shouldn't be wearing a visor anyway.

I didn't see the penalty shot thing, but I heard that Nash didn't take it even though he was the one who drew it. I thought it was automatic that Nash would get it, but then again, I don't know all of the international rules.

Whooo Slovakia Wins!

Pretty big upset there! Canada's road to the gold medal game just got easier, because I think Canada will easily handle Slovakia. Sorry Borski!

SteelMember
02-25-2010, 07:54 AM
Loved the games today. USA and Canada both win. :thumbsup:

Was surprised that the Can/Rus game wasn't ever close. The Canadians kicked ass. Feel bad for Gonch and Geno though. The next games will really be important for them and hope they atleast medal then.

Looking forward to the USA playing Canada for the gold tomorrow - should be a good game.

Didn't get to see the US game, but obviously pretty happy with the result. Watched the highlights.
The Canadian game wasn't what I expected. It looked like an NHL all-star game with all the scoring. The Russian goalie was horrible. I didn't want them to win anyway because of cap'n caveman, but I expected a much better (closer) game.

Funny when the announcer said the Russians were never in it, and that they brought their "Euro-trash game". :chuckle:

I believe the Russians are out of it now. I believe the bronze medal game will be the two losers of the upcoming semi-final.

No fighting. Suspendable offense. That's why you saw Boyle slewfoot Semin. I'm sure he wanted to fight him after the shot he took prior, but he would have been unavailable to play in the next game.

He did win the Conn Smythe, where within that is an overall slump? :huh: :noidea:

Yeah, I got that. Maybe I'm thinking of the 08-09 playoffs. :noidea: I just remember them showing them every game, then they were somehow missing the next.

superstitious players. :laughing:

CanadianSteel
02-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Real Canadian team showed up last night and put a whoopin on the skill boys from Russia.
Russian Golaie and defence were weak though will conceed, but that was a highly skilled team.
The loss to the USA may have turned out to be a good thing after all, let us pick the right Goalie (IMO) for the medal games in Luongo, Gave us an extra game versus Germany to get lines straightened out and get some needed confidence and scoring.

Still beware the one game wonder from a Goalie, who can absolutley steal a game and gold medal.
Here to a USA Canada Final . Watch out for Miikka Kiprusof Fins Golaie as he is a good one and should be a great game between USA and Fins.

Indo
02-25-2010, 04:44 PM
UH, Shea, I just realized this----

You gotta change your avatar for the Olympics!
Those boys are THE ENEMY right now (especially the one on the left)

(and then change it right back After the Olympics)

Shea
02-25-2010, 11:16 PM
As for visors, I'd rather keep it optional at the NHL level. They know the risks involved, and if they don't want to wear one, they should have that choice. I also think that if you wear a visor and you fight, you should take your helmet off. Having a visor on in a fight gives you an unfair advantage over someone who doesn't. Besides, if fighting is part of your game, you probably shouldn't be wearing a visor anyway.

Fighting. :shake01:

I get that it's needed to police the players but it still makes me cringe. Taking off the helmets of those who have visors during a fight is more dangerous though because they sometimes fall when pounding each other and come dangerously close to cracking their noggins wide open on the ice.

I guess me loving the fact that the women wear full face protection wouldn't fly either? :chuckle:

Funny when the announcer said the Russians were never in it, and that they brought their "Euro-trash game". :chuckle:

Milbury is catching alot of heat for that comment, not sure he cares though.

I just wish he and Roenick would get back to annoying each other to the point that when watching you'd think they'd start hitting each other, like it was in the beginning. :chuckle:

UH, Shea, I just realized this----

You gotta change your avatar for the Olympics!
Those boys are THE ENEMY right now (especially the one on the left)

(and then change it right back After the Olympics)

Since the games are in Canada, I'm kinda rootin' for that guy on the left ......... :couch:

Shea
02-25-2010, 11:47 PM
Quote from Brooks:

Orpik, on whether U.S. can give hockey a boost back home: “Yeah, if we can get onto NBC instead of MSNBC"

:chuckle:

SteelMember
02-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Quote from Brooks:

Orpik, on whether U.S. can give hockey a boost back home: “Yeah, if we can get onto NBC instead of MSNBC"

:chuckle:

:laughing:

or at least CNBC, so it would be in HD.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2010, 10:49 AM
A couple of things. First, taking off the helmet(with visor) is the noble thing to do and honorable by the game. If you are gonna fight, dont hide behind the visor.

Second, its tough to blame Khabibulin for the goals he got pelted with by the Canadians. Maybe 2 of the 8 he had a shot at, but for the most part, they had over 20 shots on him in the 1st period and his defense were road pylons.

Gonna be interesting today. Should be all over the aged and "experienced" Finns, but Kipprusoff was standing on his head against the Czech's.

X-Terminator
02-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Fighting. :shake01:

I get that it's needed to police the players but it still makes me cringe. Taking off the helmets of those who have visors during a fight is more dangerous though because they sometimes fall when pounding each other and come dangerously close to cracking their noggins wide open on the ice.

I guess me loving the fact that the women wear full face protection wouldn't fly either? :chuckle:

Yes, fighting. I really don't understand why some people hate it so much. More players are injured each year from body checks than from fighting, and it's not even close. Look at that Slovakian player against Norway who got hit so hard his helmet flew off and he banged his unprotected head off the ice, leaving it in a pool of blood. There was another NHL player who just received a 5-game suspension for checking another player in the head, giving him a concussion. I don't see anyone calling for hitting to be banned, do you? But yet, all I hear is how fighting is so dangerous, even though far, FAR fewer players have been seriously injured in a fight compared to body checks or even just fighting for a puck in the corner. Now the Ontario Hockey League requires its players to keep their helmets and visors on when they fight (the so-called Don Sanderson rule - the kid who died from hitting his head on the ice during a fight), but we're talking about 17-18-19 year old kids, so I can sorta understand that. But if you're in the NHL and you have a visor on, do the honorable thing and take it off when you fight.

Milbury is catching alot of heat for that comment, not sure he cares though.

I just wish he and Roenick would get back to annoying each other to the point that when watching you'd think they'd start hitting each other, like it was in the beginning. :chuckle:

He's right though. Europeans historically do not play a gritty and tough enough style to win when they play against physical teams like Canada or the USA. It's the way they were brought up to play the game. Why do you think it took until 2008 before the first European captain won the Stanley Cup, and Geno was the first Russian to win the Conn Smythe Trophy?

SteelCityMom
02-26-2010, 11:24 AM
A couple of things. First, taking off the helmet(with visor) is the noble thing to do and honorable by the game. If you are gonna fight, dont hide behind the visor.

Second, its tough to blame Khabibulin for the goals he got pelted with by the Canadians. Maybe 2 of the 8 he had a shot at, but for the most part, they had over 20 shots on him in the 1st period and his defense were road pylons.

Gonna be interesting today. Should be all over the aged and "experienced" Finns, but Kipprusoff was standing on his head against the Czech's.

Agreed on all points (except it was Nabokov in goal...who is usually very, very capable in the net). The Russian defense played an absolutely horrid game IMO. I'm glad caveman isn't getting a medal, but I feel especially bad for Nabokov...he always puts on a good show in San Jose and deserved more than what his team gave him.

Can't wait until 3! Hopefully the strong US defense can hold off Koivu and Selanne and it's probably going to take a bit of luck to get more than 2 past Kipprusoff...but I think they can get it done. The Finns had kind of an easy time with the Czechs considering that Jagr was pretty banged up going into the game and didn't play as much as he normally does, and he was given a line that isn't heavy on scoring.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2010, 12:27 PM
My bad mom.....Nabokov, Khabibulin, Jakinoff, Upyourski.......I am not good with Russian names.

SteelCityMom
02-26-2010, 12:59 PM
My bad mom.....Nabokov, Khabibulin, Jakinoff, Upyourski.......I am not good with Russian names.

LOL....Upyourski. :sofunny:

I would have liked to have seen Khabibulin as a back up to Nabokov though, he's pretty good in his own right.

X-Terminator
02-26-2010, 01:45 PM
LOL....Upyourski. :sofunny:

I would have liked to have seen Khabibulin as a back up to Nabokov though, he's pretty good in his own right.

He is injured and out for the season, otherwise he'd have been one of the goalies. His backup, Ilya Bryzgalov, isn't exactly chopped liver in his own right - he's been very good for the Coyotes this season.

OneForTheToe
02-26-2010, 02:18 PM
USA on fire so far. 2 -0. They are flying around the ice. Another PP. It seems our young-guns have showed more composure than the veteran finish team.

OneForTheToe
02-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Goooooooooaaaaaaaal 3- 0. Wow, the fins are looked completely outgunned. Time for a goalie change for Finland probably.

OneForTheToe
02-26-2010, 02:24 PM
4 - 0

Kippersoff just pulled himself from the game. I have never seen that before.

X-Terminator
02-26-2010, 02:43 PM
6-0 lead for the USA after 1.

:jawdrop:

Canucks fans everywhere are laughing at the guy they call "Kiprusuck" :chuckle:

SteelCityMom
02-26-2010, 02:54 PM
He is injured and out for the season, otherwise he'd have been one of the goalies. His backup, Ilya Bryzgalov, isn't exactly chopped liver in his own right - he's been very good for the Coyotes this season.

Ahhh ok...that makes sense then. Probably wouldn't have mattered too much anyway since the Russian defense decided to take a nap for most of the game lol.

Shea
02-26-2010, 10:00 PM
One more period and we have the perfect match-up of USA and Canada battling it out for the gold. :thumbsup:

SteelCityMom
02-26-2010, 10:48 PM
Wow, the Slovaks really took it to the Canadians at the end there! I wouldn't be surprised to see them take the bronze. Even though I dislike Hossa, that team has worked really hard.

I'm not sure the Canadians are going to be able to hold off the US...they are on fire. Can't wait for Sunday though!

Shea
02-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Sunday is gonna be fun!

Yes, fighting. I really don't understand why some people hate it so much. More players are injured each year from body checks than from fighting, and it's not even close. Look at that Slovakian player against Norway who got hit so hard his helmet flew off and he banged his unprotected head off the ice, leaving it in a pool of blood. There was another NHL player who just received a 5-game suspension for checking another player in the head, giving him a concussion. I don't see anyone calling for hitting to be banned, do you? But yet, all I hear is how fighting is so dangerous, even though far, FAR fewer players have been seriously injured in a fight compared to body checks or even just fighting for a puck in the corner. Now the Ontario Hockey League requires its players to keep their helmets and visors on when they fight (the so-called Don Sanderson rule - the kid who died from hitting his head on the ice during a fight), but we're talking about 17-18-19 year old kids, so I can sorta understand that. But if you're in the NHL and you have a visor on, do the honorable thing and take it off when you fight.

I completely get your point of view on this issue and you'll get no argument from me.

It's just hard for me to sometimes watch people hitting each other, yet hypocritically I love seeing when a Pens' player kicks ass during a fight. I'm up and cheering loudly and loving when that happens. What does that say about me? :noidea:

I'm more on the fence when it comes to the issue of banning fighting, then flat-out wanting it gone.

It also seems more often then not, that when I'm watching a game, that a little boy, who is my nephew that spends quite a bit of time with me, is often in the room and instantly catches on when a fight occurs and I don't like that and the questions that it brings.

X-Terminator
02-26-2010, 11:19 PM
Wow, the Slovaks really took it to the Canadians at the end there! I wouldn't be surprised to see them take the bronze. Even though I dislike Hossa, that team has worked really hard.

I'm not sure the Canadians are going to be able to hold off the US...they are on fire. Can't wait for Sunday though!

No matter what happens, I'll be so proud of our boys. No one - not even I - gave them a chance when the Olympics began, and here they are playing for the gold. It should be a great game!

I completely get your point of view on this issue and you'll get no argument from me.

It's just hard for me to sometimes watch people hitting each other, yet hypocritically I love seeing when a Pens' player kicks ass during a fight. I'm up and cheering loudly and loving when that happens. What does that say about me? :noidea:

I'm more on the fence when it comes to the issue of banning fighting, then flat-out wanting it gone.

It also seems more often then not, that when I'm watching a game, that a little boy, who is my nephew that spends quite a bit of time with me, is often in the room and instantly catches on when a fight occurs and I don't like that and the questions that it brings.

Ask yourself this - would you rather have the little boy ask questions about why 2 guys are fighting in a hockey game, or ask about why kids are killing other kids in school, or about an "adult situation" he saw on TV? I think that is a no-brainer.

Seriously, with so much more stuff going on in the world and with so much questionable material available to kids on TV, in video games or on the internet...is 2 guys fighting on a sheet of ice REALLY that bad?

And it's obvious that you enjoy fighting as entertainment, otherwise you wouldn't stand and cheer even when it's a Penguin doing it. Other than the reasons why it's needed in the game, that's the biggest reason why I like the fights - because it's entertaining to watch.

Shea
02-26-2010, 11:57 PM
Ask yourself this - would you rather have the little boy ask questions about why 2 guys are fighting in a hockey game, or ask about why kids are killing other kids in school, or about an "adult situation" he saw on TV? I think that is a no-brainer.

Seriously, with so much more stuff going on in the world and with so much questionable material available to kids on TV, in video games or on the internet...is 2 guys fighting on a sheet of ice REALLY that bad?

Well, bringing into this simple little hockey thread about the Olympics has turned into a broader matter beyond fighting in the hockey world, and somehow has brought about other troubling matters within this world.

One matter at a time, and I believe this a hockey thread, right? :noidea: I just don't like how a little boy is sometimes transfixed and instantly tuned into the television during a fight!

I don't like any of the crap the world always seems to offer up, but this situation of fighting has come up more than once and his questions and reactions bother me.

The rest of what happens in this world is to be dealt with seperately when it comes up and occurs. This is a hockey thread, therefore that's a subject that I'm referring to and other issues within our world shouldn't be brought up here.

I love him - don't like his confusion and fascination when seeing a fight. Get that?

And it's obvious that you enjoy fighting as entertainment, otherwise you wouldn't stand and cheer even when it's a Penguin doing it. Other than the reasons why it's needed in the game, that's the biggest reason why I like the fights - because it's entertaining to watch.

Like I stated above - yes sometimes I like it. And like I also stated, I'm conflicted on this subject. I also stated that I'm on the fence on this whole issue.

I'm just trying to simply state that I don't like seeing people hit each other, nor for seeing a child seeing the same and being conflicted because we always have told him that hitting is unacceptable.

Galax Steeler
02-27-2010, 06:25 AM
I can't wait hopefully USA will bring home the Gold. Keep playing the way they are and it should be no problem.

X-Terminator
02-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Well, bringing into this simple little hockey thread about the Olympics has turned into a broader matter beyond fighting in the hockey world, and somehow has brought about other troubling matters within this world.

One matter at a time, and I believe this a hockey thread, right? :noidea: I just don't like how a little boy is sometimes transfixed and instantly tuned into the television during a fight!

I don't like any of the crap the world always seems to offer up, but this situation of fighting has come up more than once and his questions and reactions bother me.

The rest of what happens in this world is to be dealt with seperately when it comes up and occurs. This is a hockey thread, therefore that's a subject that I'm referring to and other issues within our world shouldn't be brought up here.

I love him - don't like his confusion and fascination when seeing a fight. Get that?

Like I stated above - yes sometimes I like it. And like I also stated, I'm conflicted on this subject. I also stated that I'm on the fence on this whole issue.

I'm just trying to simply state that I don't like seeing people hit each other, nor for seeing a child seeing the same and being conflicted because we always have told him that hitting is unacceptable.

OK, fine. By your tone I see I've touched a nerve here and I'm not going to discuss this any further. I could answer this post, but you wouldn't like what I have to say and eventually the conversation would get much more heated. It's happened every time I've had this discussion with others who are anti-fighting. I've made my feelings known, so that's that.

Let's move on.

SMR
02-27-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm having a real hard time trying to find the RIGHT channel that will broadcast the entire USA vs Canada gold game - without the annoying mix of other events in between. Anyone know? Is this gonna happen?

X-Terminator
02-27-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm having a real hard time trying to find the RIGHT channel that will broadcast the entire USA vs Canada gold game - without the annoying mix of other events in between. Anyone know? Is this gonna happen?

It's on NBC tomorrow at 3:00, and it will be shown in its entirety.

SMR
02-27-2010, 09:06 PM
It's on NBC tomorrow at 3:00, and it will be shown in its entirety.

Thanks man, I will be sure to join in that game- go USA!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Shea
02-27-2010, 09:18 PM
OK, fine. By your tone I see I've touched a nerve here and I'm not going to discuss this any further. I could answer this post, but you wouldn't like what I have to say and eventually the conversation would get much more heated. It's happened every time I've had this discussion with others who are anti-fighting. I've made my feelings known, so that's that.

Let's move on.

Sorry XT, definitely didn't mean to come across with a tone or being testy.

And like I said, I really do get your perspective on this and understand your arguments. They make sense.

I need to figure out, once and for all, whether to accept fighting or wish for it to go away. I'm just not sure yet.

Shea
02-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Finland gets the bronze.

Sorry Borski. And congrats to anyone rooting for the Fins, if there were any??

Borski
02-27-2010, 11:42 PM
Finland gets the bronze.

Sorry Borski. And congrats to anyone rooting for the Fins, if there were any??

Yeah, that sucked, oh well, Penguins hockey comes back soon.

SteelCityMom
02-27-2010, 11:47 PM

Yeah, I was rooting for Slovkia to win...they've made for a lot of exciting games.

I'm excited about Pens hockey coming back soon too, but it's been real nice not getting stressed about it these past couple of weeks while enjoying some good hockey. I'm going to kind of miss it lol.

Shea
02-27-2010, 11:48 PM

Yes, it does. Can't wait to see the team playing again - it's right around the corner. :danceshout:

But tomorrow is gonna be fun. I'm really looking forward to this game that will determine who gets the gold.

Shea
02-28-2010, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I was rooting for Slovkia to win...they've made for a lot of exciting games.

I'm excited about Pens hockey coming back soon too, but it's been real nice not getting stressed about it these past couple of weeks while enjoying some good hockey. I'm going to kind of miss it lol.

I'm going to kind of miss it too.

I've loved the hockey and even watched quite a bit of the women's games as well, although the majority of them were clunkers.

And I actually loved watching all of the events and different sports during these Olympics. Usually, I don't follow it much but this year has been fun.

And it has been nice not stressing over the Pens for a bit, but damn if I don't miss those boys. I'm already dreading the offseason. What the hell will I do with myself when they aren't playing? :noidea:

steelpride12
02-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Its been awhile since my heart attacks over our Pens, but im so excited for the season to get back on track. No link sorry, but on the official site looks like Talbot is improving, but no 100% and Fedotenko left early from practice, but hey our boys will never be fully healthy that's a miracle.

Time for USA to take it to Canada and win the Gold and be the underdog champs! USA USA USA!

SMR
02-28-2010, 12:57 PM
...And it has been nice not stressing over the Pens for a bit, but damn if I don't miss those boys. I'm already dreading the offseason. What the hell will I do with myself when they aren't playing? :noidea:

If you're not married, you can always nab one of dem Penguin "boys" lol

supa_fly_steeler
02-28-2010, 04:28 PM
LOL GOING TO OVERTIMEEEEEEEEEEE

OneForTheToe
02-28-2010, 04:38 PM
What a game. I thought it was over when Sid got that breakaway. Great hustle by the USA player (can't remember at the momentwho).

SMR
02-28-2010, 04:38 PM
oh man! can't handle this much excitement!

steelerdude15
02-28-2010, 04:41 PM
USA ALL THE WAY :usa:

tony hipchest
02-28-2010, 04:44 PM
win or lose, this game has been everything advertized.

great day for hockey (and especially for the 2 best teams left in the tourney).

canada and usa should both be proud, although canadians will shit a curling rock if they let this one get away.

SMR
02-28-2010, 04:46 PM
USA! USA! USA!

SMR
02-28-2010, 04:50 PM
win or lose, this game has been everything advertized.

great day for hockey (and especially for the 2 best teams left in the tourney).

canada and usa should both be proud, although canadians will shit a curling rock if they let this one get away.

But USA has been fantastic throughout this Olympics and the Canadians can give us a bit of credit.
:applaudit:

OneForTheToe
02-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Sid. go figure.

tony hipchest
02-28-2010, 04:55 PM
sid = clutch.

singlehandedly wins it in OT.

bummer for miller. he looks disgusted and beside himself.

steelerdude15
02-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Sidney I love you, but these were one of the times I didn't want you to score.

supa_fly_steeler
02-28-2010, 04:56 PM
crosby just owned all of the usa hockey team in that goal.

SMR
02-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Sidney I love you, but these were one of the times I didn't want you to score.

I second that. I have his Penguins jersey and I just don't feel like wearing it right now, lol. Anyhow, congrats to Canada- they deserved it, so did the USA but didn't go that way. GREAT game!

:hatsoff:

memphissteelergirl
02-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Man! This is hard! I am happy that Sid got the winning goal, but I wish it wasn't against the U.S.

At any rate, this was an incredible match. :thumbsup:

Congrats to Team USA for a great effort. :usa:

7SteelGal43
02-28-2010, 05:06 PM
:crying03:

Polamalu Princess
02-28-2010, 05:07 PM
What a game. If we had to lose to Canada, at least it was to a Sid score!!!

SMR
02-28-2010, 05:08 PM
:crying03:

hey don't cry, lol. hold yer head high. kudos to the US for a valiant, valiant effort!

:tt03:

OneForTheToe
02-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Well, maybe now Sid will get the respect he deserves in his own country.

Ryan Miller named MVP of tournament? Did I hear that right? He deserves it. Kid was tough. Now, sid i hope you saved a little for the rest of the season.

SMR
02-28-2010, 05:12 PM

No less.

tony hipchest
02-28-2010, 05:17 PM

Ryan Miller named MVP of tournament? Did I hear that right? He deserves it. Kid was tough. Now, sid i hope you saved a little for the rest of the season.you heard correct. how bittersweet that must be. its not like he gets a gold mvp medal or a cadillac escalade.

he definitely played balls to the wall, and atleast we didnt lose to russia or anyone else.

theyre interviewing him now.

jjpro11
02-28-2010, 05:43 PM
bummed we lost, but happy for Sid. he is just too clutch.

X-Terminator
02-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Well, it was a valiant effort, but our boys gave it everything they had. They should walk away with their heads held high, because no one gave them a chance of medaling at all, much less winning the Silver.

Congrats to Canada for their win, and to Sid for once again showing everyone the winner that he is. Just wish it wasn't against us.

Gnutella
02-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Don't worry, Sidney. I ain't mad at cha.

CanadianSteel
02-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Wow what a game - hats off to the USA as they had us on our heels most of the 3rd period but in the end the new Mr Hockey in Canada Sidney Crosby has placed his name in Canadian hockey lore....
- Henderson in 72 versus the Russians
- Mario Lemieux in 87 versus the russians from the Great one to win Canada cup
- Sidney from Iginla to win the one of the best Gold Medal games I have ever seen

All of Canada is celebrating right now.....also with a sigh of relief

P.S - With the mens hockey Gold Canada has just set a new olympic record for most gold medals in any winter Olympic games - by ANY country.....

Cheers.... :drink:

OneForTheToe
02-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Don't worry, Sidney. I ain't mad at cha.

Well, I am not mad, but I might boo you for 1/1000000 of a second .... Naaah, not even that long once I see that 87 in true black and gold.

One thing. If Canada would have lost, some of the more fickle north of the border fans would have blamed Sid for not scoring on the breakaway.

X-Terminator
02-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Wow what a game - hats off to the USA as they had us on our heels most of the 3rd period but in the end the new Mr Hockey in Canada Sidney Crosby has placed his name in Canadian hockey lore....
- Sidney from Iginla to win the one of the best Gold Medal games I have ever seen

P.S - With the mens hockey Gold Canada has just set a new olympic record for most gold medals in any winter Olympic games - by ANY country.....

That's a pretty impressive feat, more so since I believe 8 of those golds were won in the last 3 or 4 days.

Congratulations - your boys did a great job. And as far as Sid goes, they'll love him until he scores the next goal against their favorite team, and then he'll go back to being the most hated player in the league again.

Cheers! :drink:

Fire Haley
02-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Way to go Sid.

Tons of hockey fans from other teams hate Crosby - especially Habs fans - now they have to swallow it.
He'll be the Picture of Hockey for the rest of their lives.

7SteelGal43
02-28-2010, 08:03 PM

and the United States has just set a new olympic record for most OVERALL medals in any winter Olympic games - by ANY country....37 :drink:

:usa:

St33lersguy
02-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Great, now Orpik won't speak to Sid for a week:chuckle:.

This was probably the best way possible the U.S. could lose this game. Atleast it wasn't a flyer who scored the winning goal.

Petesburgh66
02-28-2010, 08:16 PM

Well stated. Our Canadian anthem was played for the 14th glorious time thanks to Sid the Kid. This was a epic game. It will go down in Canadian hockey history. It will go down in Canadian Olympic history. I am still on cloud nine.

What a great Olympics for Canada and the States.

Now I hope some of the magic Burke and Wilson used for Team USA will one day rub off on the Maple Leafs.

Petesburgh66
02-28-2010, 08:22 PM
and the United States has just set a new olympic record for most OVERALL medals in any winter Olympic games - by ANY country....37 :drink:

:usa:

Well for us Canadians, we wouldn't be good hosts if we didn't get out the silverware for their guests. But we wanted to keep more of the gold.

supa_fly_steeler
02-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Well for us Canadians, we wouldn't be good hosts if we didn't get out the silverware for their guests. But we wanted to keep more of the gold.

lolz :tt03:

7SteelGal43
02-28-2010, 10:15 PM

:coffee:

X-Terminator
02-28-2010, 10:25 PM

14 gold medals is damn impressive, I admit, but winning 37 total medals is nothing to dismiss off-hand. And within those 37 medals are several that the US won for the very first time, and another that we hadn't won a medal in over 60 years. We would have had several more had Apolo Ohno not been DQed in the 500m and had Lindsey Vonn brought her A game to the slopes, rather than crashing in 3 of 5 races. Overall, it was a very, very successful Winter Games for the USA.

Petesburgh66
02-28-2010, 11:49 PM
I am not going dismiss the USA total medal count. I didn't expect them to medal this high. But at the end of the day, silver and bronze are just medals for not finishing first.

As for Vonn, man you Americans are really tough on her. Isn't winning two medals enough? I think you have been spoiled by Phelps and Lewis performances in the past, expecting to clean house. The ski courses up in Whistler were tough for all the skiers, mostly due to the weather. So her DQs are not a surprise. But I will be glad to never hear this drama queen's name ever again.

tony hipchest
03-01-2010, 12:07 AM
I am not going dismiss the USA total medal count. I didn't expect them to medal this high. But at the end of the day, silver and bronze are just medals for not finishing first.

As for Vonn, man you Americans are really tough on her. Isn't winning two medals enough? I think you have been spoiled by Phelps and Lewis performances in the past, expecting to clean house. The ski courses up in Whistler were tough for all the skiers, mostly due to the weather. So her DQs are not a surprise. But I will be glad to never hear this drama queen's name ever again.i didnt think anyone was dismissing usa's total medal count. i think the 37 was just thrown in the face of a few proud canadian steelerfans we have on this board. but you are right. a wise man once said "if you aint first, youre last".

bragging about bronze is akin to steelerfans bragging about the afcc games they lost in the past 20 years (granted im proud to get there, but to not even come away with the l. hunt trophy sucks).

apollo ono was lucky to come away with his silver, and vonn admitted she was happy with her single gold. it was a great feat for USA to even take the canadians into OT in hockey.

the US got what they deserved, and canada got what they earned. i was happy to root for the northern neighbors (and especially crosby and the old bear) if the americans werent gonna win it.

oh, and vonn is really hot, which means she should win more. right now, i think she mailed it in and almost choked, but when things are put into perspective, she won what she was supposed to win at. its not like the lugers are also skiing, doing the bobsled, and the skeleton.

props to her even entering so many events (same with yoko ono). :chuckle:

OneForTheToe
03-01-2010, 12:07 AM

Not to start a argument. The Olympics were wonderful. Further, Canada had a great Olympics. Congradulations for a job well done.

However, the Canadian Olympic committee set the goal with their "own the podium" program (and through it out there for everyone to hear), to win the most medals. It would be hypocritical now to say that winning the most golds is all that matters.

The point is every country should measure their success by their own standards. Some countries (the majority) measure success by gold medals. A few measure success by total medals (USA, Canada until today probably). Geez, in an article the other day the the British Olympic committee was quoted as setting a goal of top of top 5 finishes. There is no wrong answer. The IOC has no official listing of who "won" the Olympics.

I enjoyed the games this year and look forward to London.

OneForTheToe
03-01-2010, 12:16 AM
i didnt think anyone was dismissing usa's total medal count. i think the 37 was just thrown in the face of a few proud canadian steelerfans we have on this board. but you are right. a wise man once said "if you aint first, youre last".

bragging about bronze is akin to steelerfans bragging about the afcc games they lost in the past 20 years (granted im proud to get there, but to not even come away with the l. hunt trophy sucks).

apollo ono was lucky to come away with his silver, and vonn admitted she was happy with her single gold. it was a great feat for USA to even take the canadians into OT in hockey.

the US got what they deserved, and canada got what they earned. i was happy to root for the northern neighbors (and especially crosby and the old bear) if the americans werent gonna win it.

oh, and vonn is really hot, which means she should win more. right now, i think she mailed it in and almost choked, but when things are put into perspective, she won what she was supposed to win at. its not like the lugers are also skiing, doing the bobsled, and the skeleton.

props to her even entering so many events (same with yoko ono). :chuckle:

I am not sure that analogy holds up to me. These are mostly individual athletes competing against sometimes hundreds of other athletes to get on that podium. They may have one chance in their life to compete at the Olympics. Sure there are some that are back a few more times. Still, that makes a bronze medal worth more than a Conference championship win or loss, imo.

The USA measures total medals because the USOC has stated depth and competitiveness across a broad range of sports as a goal. Don't see what is wrong with that.

Petesburgh66
03-01-2010, 01:17 AM
However, the Canadian Olympic committee set the goal with their "own the podium" program (and through it out there for everyone to hear), to win the most medals. It would be hypocritical now to say that winning the most golds is all that matters.

The podiums were built in Canada. So yes, we owned them. lol But seriously, what do you want Canada to say? Let's not own the podium. Let's finish last and say sorry to everybody that tramples us in winter events.

The whole goal of Own the Podium, which was started three years ago, was to get corporate sponsors and the government to help out for once to fund our athletes so they can do there best in Vancouver. So yes, the end goal was to get the most amount medals possible, since the games were on our soil. So why not set goals high?

Although Canada did not met COC medal goals, I would say that the Own the Podium is a success and a positive experience. Not because of the record gold haul and getting a new record for total medals, but for the new level of Canadian patriotism generated that has swepted across the nation. I have never expereince this before, even on Canada day. Hopefully, this will get today's fat and lazy generation of kids motivated to play sports and be inspired to be future athletes.

So if London wants to place top 5 in 2012, then go for it. Russia is going to their best for 2014 as the Vancouver 2010 games had to have been a huge disappointment for them.

I am already having Olympic withdrawl.

OneForTheToe
03-01-2010, 01:26 AM
The podiums were built in Canada. So yes, we owned them. lol But seriously, what do you want Canada to say? Let's not own the podium. Let's finish last and say sorry to everybody that tramples us in winter events.

The whole goal of Own the Podium, which was started three years ago, was to get corporate sponsors and the government to help out for once to fund our athletes so they can do there best in Vancouver. So yes, the end goal was to get the most amount medals possible, since the games were on our soil. So why not set goals high?

Although Canada did not met COC medal goals, I would say that the Own the Podium is a success and a positive experience. Not because of the record gold haul and getting a new record for total medals, but for the new level of Canadian patriotism generated that has swepted across the nation. I have never expereince this before, even on Canada day. Hopefully, this will get today's fat and lazy generation of kids motivated to play sports and be inspired to be future athletes.

So if London wants to place top 5 in 2012, then go for it. Russia is going to their best for 2014 as the Vancouver 2010 games had to have been a huge disappointment for them.

I am already having Olympic withdrawl.

Agreed... I have no problem (as if it is my business) with the own the podium program. Every country wants to do well, particularly when the games are held in their own country. I was just pointing out that when you set a goal for most medals and don't reach it, it would be hypocritical to downplay the US winning the most medals, even though the 14 golds is an amazing accomplishment by Canada. I find it not a bit surprising that after the COC came out and stated that they wouldn't meet the goal of winning the most medals, Canadian athletes started to mine gold like an 1849er. Seems the COC may have added too much pressure and then relieved it for some Canadian athletes.

The Brits will do fine in London. They are not bad in the summer games. Also, I would expect Putin to spend millions and millions on the Russian Winter Olympic Program.

As for the USA, it seems to me we will have to reload. We won a lot of Medals because we had a lot of athletes that had been there done that. In Sochi, we will probably be without Shaun White, Bode, maybe Lindsey Vaughn, and more than a few others who had had previous Olympic experience.

P.S. Now go have fun celebrating a wonderful Olympics Canada. However, we want Sid back tomorrow.

HometownGal
03-01-2010, 06:33 AM
I'm extremely proud of our hockey team and the accomplishments they made. They had Team Canada shittin' their pants when they scored the tying goal in the waning seconds of the last period to force the game into OT. This was a group of guys who weren't even supposed to medal, much less make it into the Gold Medal game. :applaudit: :hatsoff: :usa:

Now you Canadians can go back to hatin' on Sid when the Pens play your teams. :chuckle:

You're welcome for us letting you borrow him for a few weeks - now he's back to being OURS. :drink:

Fire Haley
03-01-2010, 07:12 AM
Great game - great game for hockey.

http://media.modbee.com/smedia/2010/02/28/21/68-383Vancouver_Olympics_Ice_Hockey.sff.standalone.pr od_affiliate.11.jpg

Nice gold medal story for Canada and all but, now, back to real hockey...Let's Go Pens!

Petesburgh66
03-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Agreed... I have no problem (as if it is my business) with the own the podium program. Every country wants to do well, particularly when the games are held in their own country. I was just pointing out that when you set a goal for most medals and don't reach it, it would be hypocritical to downplay the US winning the most medals, even though the 14 golds is an amazing accomplishment by Canada. I find it not a bit surprising that after the COC came out and stated that they wouldn't meet the goal of winning the most medals, Canadian athletes started to mine gold like an 1849er. Seems the COC may have added too much pressure and then relieved it for some Canadian athletes.

If you asked me before the Winter Olympics, I would have said that winning any type of medal would have great for Canada. However, after hearing our anthem sung fourteen times for fourteen gold medal wins, I wouldn’t trade in those all those gold for all the silver and bronze out there. New sense of Canadian pride was born during the past 17 days, almost American like. From the singing of oh Canada, the sea of red etc., this will be the legacy of the Vancouver 2010 games for us. The pride was always there. Now it's our coming out party.

Yes, the pressure was there as the games were on home soil. There was at least 5 events were Canadians were favoured but didn’t get the gold (women’s curling, women’s skeleton, men’s 1000 m short track, men’s 2-man bobsled and men’s ski cross). In four of those events, Canadian athletes failed to get a medal. So expectations by the COC were realistic. What was also expected that Canada would do well toward the end of the games, which also came to fruition. The biggest pressure was on the men’s hockey team. They were playing for our game, our pride as a nation. Hockey isn’t treated a joke in our country. It was gold or bust for them, including the ladies.

This four minute video essay sums it how most of us Canadians feel today:
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/video/index.html?assetid=16afced6-f953-42f8-88ce-46c9493947e9

If Vonn reacted the same way that Hollingsworth reacted (47 seconds into the video), maybe you guys would have been less hard on her. She was favoured to win gold for women’s skeleton but one mistake cost her. She didn’t let Canada down. We are proud that she represented us.

And London better do well in 2012 as there will be Canadian media ready to return the negative press they gave us at the start of the games. Asses.

The biggest let down after watching this great hockey is have to go back to watching the Maple Leafs. I will still root the Penguins to win it this year. Don't worry, Sid will be coming back. None of men's team Canada players were around for the closing ceremonies.

Gary Buttman better use the Olympics to start promoting some of the game younger talent in the States.

memphissteelergirl
03-01-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm extremely proud of our hockey team and the accomplishments they made. They had Team Canada shittin' their pants when they scored the tying goal in the waning seconds of the last period to force the game into OT. This was a group of guys who weren't even supposed to medal, much less make it into the Gold Medal game. :applaudit: :hatsoff: :usa:

I think a lot of people tend to forget that point, HTG! They were pretty much an afterthought...that is until the first round game when they beat Canada. :chuckle: They set off widespread panic among our northern neighbors. :wink02:

Again, it was a heartbreaker to watch our boys in the red, white, and blue come so close only to fall short. But d*** it was an exciting game to watch. Congrats to Sid for being the hero that got your country the gold....now get your butt back down to Pittsburgh and get the Pens in the playoffs! :chuckle:

Indo
03-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Loved watching the games this year

Enough has already been said about the Gold count vs the total count-----I think that both arguments are valid

As for hockey
for me, the ONLY acceptable way for the USA to lose was for Sid the Kid to beat us. I was hoping that he didn't---but if we were gonna lose, that would be the only way acceptable for me
He is the best player in the NHL. Period. And I think that he deserves a Ring and a (Gold) Medal.

sidenotes:
Miller played a hell of a series
didn't know Malone is from the Burgh

7SteelGal43
03-01-2010, 11:33 AM
I am not sure that analogy holds up to me. These are mostly individual athletes competing against sometimes hundreds of other athletes to get on that podium. They may have one chance in their life to compete at the Olympics. Sure there are some that are back a few more times. Still, that makes a bronze medal worth more than a Conference championship win or loss, imo.

Espcially considering in many cases 2 tenths of a second can be the only thing seperating GOLD and SILVER, or even GOLD and BRONZE.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2010, 11:46 AM
http://media.modbee.com/smedia/2010/02/28/21/68-383Vancouver_Olympics_Ice_Hockey.sff.standalone.pr od_affiliate.11.jpg

Nice gold medal story for Canada and all but, now, back to real hockey...Let's Go Pens!

Nice pic. As for the thought that the US should not have been there.....dont tell me you guys bought into that Ron Wilson and Brian Burke manufactured Underdog crap. Canada, Russia, USA are probably the top 3 teams in the world.

The Russians can score, but have weak defense. The US and Canada have a balance of both. It wasnt that surprising that it was a rematch of 2002.

X-Terminator
03-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Nice pic. As for the thought that the US should not have been there.....dont tell me you guys bought into that Ron Wilson and Brian Burke manufactured Underdog crap. Canada, Russia, USA are probably the top 3 teams in the world.

The Russians can score, but have weak defense. The US and Canada have a balance of both. It wasnt that surprising that it was a rematch of 2002.

The US did not have the talent that Russia, Canada and even Sweden had. They had one legit superstar in Ryan Miller, a lesser star in Zach Parise, and a bunch of lunch pail guys with some skill and speed. Hardly the type of talent the Canadians and Russians can put out there. The only chance they had going in was to do exactly what they ended up doing - play a solid team game and get world-class goaltending from Miller. Anything other than that, and they'd have been done after the quarterfinal round.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2010, 12:53 PM
The US did not have the talent that Russia, Canada and even Sweden had. They had one legit superstar in Ryan Miller, a lesser star in Zach Parise, and a bunch of lunch pail guys with some skill and speed. Hardly the type of talent the Canadians and Russians can put out there. The only chance they had going in was to do exactly what they ended up doing - play a solid team game and get world-class goaltending from Miller. Anything other than that, and they'd have been done after the quarterfinal round.

Maybe not equivalent talent as Russia or Canada, but the youth movement with guys like Kane, Stastny, Kessel, Kessler, Parise, Ryan, Johnson, Suter....along with some solid veteran leadership and great goaltending was gonna beat the old Finns, the soft Swedes.

I still maintain they were top 3 and you are right that Miller stood on his head. The whole "we are the underdog" theme that Wilson was preaching was about as credible as the Steelers wearing white jerseys in SBXL because they were the "road team". Still a great tournament and fun 2 weeks of olympics.

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 01:31 PM
the best thing is that crosby finished the tournament off.

one more world cup then he rightfully is a far more big time player than dirty ovechkin who tries to injure his own team mates

HometownGal
03-01-2010, 02:03 PM
the best thing is that crosby finished the tournament off.

one more world cup then he rightfully is a far more big time player than dirty ovechkin who tries to injure his own team mates

Don't think Sid needs another World Cup to single him out as the best all-around player in the NHL right now. He's more than proven his salt.

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Don't think Sid needs another World Cup to single him out as the best all-around player in the NHL right now. He's more than proven his salt.

I know but it would shut up the Caps for eternity.

That golden moment when he took the puck off Ovie and scored to make it 5-0 lol.... still trying to find it on utuube :(

Shea
03-01-2010, 09:53 PM
This gold medal game was great!

What's also great is how much attention this game, and all the Olympic hockey, has brought to the sport. Today, everyone was talking about hockey and it was covered on all sports shows, which is hardly the case ever. This AWESOME sport needs this type of recognition and hopefully will lead to a better television company picking up the rights to cover it instead of some obscure channel I can no longer get on my dish. :shake01:

I was sad though to see the players on team USA looking so dejected during the medal ceremony. They have nothing to hang their heads on and played one hell of a tournament. I'm very proud of them.

I was glad to see Sid being the one that got to be the hero though. He looked so happy and looked, for once, like the weight of the world had been lifted from his shoulders.

http://i45.tinypic.com/211uphh.jpg

Congrats Sid, you've earned to have that moment of glory! :thumbsup: