PDA

View Full Version : Deshea Townsend Q&A

mesaSteeler
02-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Deshea Townsend Q&A
February 15, 4:09 AMPittsburgh Steelers Examiner
Chris Adamski
http://www.examiner.com/x-37788-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Examiner~y2010m2d15-Deshea-Townsend-QA

With the Steelers offseason in a sort of ďdead periodĒ after all the season obituaries were written, the NFL season as a whole finally through and free agency and the draft still a bit in the future, some Examiner exclusive Q&Aís can fill that void.

Several players were gracious enough to spend a few minutes in light, non-threatening chat over the course of this past season, and who better to start this feature with than a player who very well might have played his final game as a Steeler.

According to the Post-Gazette, the team wonít be negotiating an extension with free agent cornerback Deshea Townsend. Thatís a shame in the sense that he is tied for the longest-tenured current Steeler along with Hines Ward. But it's also -- barring a bargain-basement price after the market shakes itself out -- the right move.

The rarity, these days, of playing for the same team for 12 seasons, like he has (did?) in Pittsburgh is among the things Townsend talked about during this December interview.

Examiner: When you first were drafted, signed and went to your first training camp, did you see yourself still playing 12 years later?
Deshea Townsend: Never envisioned that, but Iím very blessed. And thankful everyday, thankful that God has allowed me to do this, always, and for all the prayers that my mother gave and all kinds of people gave to give me the opportunity to do this. It takes hard work, but itís a blessing to be in this situation.

E: Even more extraordinary Ė and unusual Ė than merely lasting 12 years in the NFL is doing them all with one team. That doesnít happen very often at all.
DT: It doesnít, but I try to pride myself in doing the right things most of the time. Coming to work everyday, doing whatís required to be a professional. Itís helped me get to this point.

E: Being such a veteran now, do you take it upon yourself to be a leader and set an example for the younger players?
DT: As a rookie youíve got to learn to do the right thing. Hopefully they can look at me as an example of what to do and what not to do. Iím not saying Iíve always done it perfectly. But if you want to be successful in this league or be successful at anything, youíve got to apply yourself. Youíve got to be the right type of person to be successful.

E: What do you like to do with your free time?
DT: I try to do as much as possible. I love old cars, I play with old cars a lot. I have three kids and Iím married, so that takes up a lot of time right there. But anything that deals with helping kids, working with my foundation, I work with the Boys and Girls Club a lot, I have my own non-profit organization, Pay It Forward, so I try to keep busy as much as possible.

E: What types of events and charitable causes do you make it a point to participate in?
DT: I try to do as much as possible; anything any of my teammates are involved with, I try to get involved. James Farrior gave away Turkeys two nights before Thanksgiving, which was a great event, Max Starks gave away turkeys. We try to do a lot.

E: Why is that so important to you?
DT: It always means a lot to help. Youíre in a situation where you have to give back because when you ask a lot, you must give back. Weíre definitely very fortunate to be in the situation that weíre in. itís important to help others who are not.

E: You mentioned your love of old cars. Specifically, what are your favorites?
DT: I like classics. Mustangs, Camaros, Chevelles Ė any of those type of cars Ė muscle cars. Thatís just something Iíve always wanted. So right now Iím fortunate to play with those a little bit. Iíve been working on this í68 Camaro right now, me and my guys out there at Classic CollectorÖ and itís going to be amazing.

Galax Steeler
02-17-2010, 04:19 AM
That is probably going to be the last interview you will hear from him playing in Pittsburgh.

solardave
02-17-2010, 04:55 AM
He's been a standup player who proves good guys do win. I wish he'd retire a Steeler. I wish him the best in whatever happens.