PDA

View Full Version : Kickers' salary bar rises for Steelers' Reed

Galax Steeler
02-17-2010, 03:45 AM
Jeff Reed's agent walked off a Florida golf course to a sight more satisfying than any birdie putt: His cell phone chirped with the news that the Oakland Raiders had just made Sebastian Janikowski the most expensive kicker in NFL history.

"I don't know what to tell you," Don Henderson said Tuesday afternoon. "The ironic part is, if you take a look at field-goal kickers the last three years, Jeff Reed leads the league in field-goal percentage."

Henderson said Steelers negotiator Omar Kahn called him Monday, apparently to begin negotiations on a new contract for Reed, who will become an unrestricted free agent March 5 without one. The news one day later that Janikowski signed a four-year, $16 million deal with the Raiders that includes $9 million in guaranteed money could not have come at a better time for Reed.

"Omar on Monday asked my opinion, and I said all I can tell you is what the stats tell me: that Jeff is the field-goal percentage leader in the NFL," Henderson said.

Reed has made 88.5 percent of his field-goal tries the past three years, 77 of 87. He was 27 of 31 this past season as well as in 2008 and kicked two field goals in Super Bowl XLIII. Janikowski, a former first-round draft choice known for his booming leg, has been good on 80.2 percent of his field-goal tries the past three seasons (73 of 91), including 26 of 29 in 2009.

Reed also kicks in one of the toughest home stadiums and in perhaps the toughest division for kickers in the NFL.

Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations, said Friday that Reed, nose tackle Casey Hampton and free safety Ryan Clark are the team's three priorities to negotiate contract extensions before free agency starts. All would become unrestricted if they do not. Colbert said the team would wait until the end of this week to begin negotiations.

The Steelers offered a contract to Reed just before the 2009 season began that was rejected.

"We tried to get something done before season and it just didn't work out," said Henderson, who said the amount of Janikowski's new contract did not surprise him. "We want to be in Pittsburgh and they know we want to be there."

NOTES -- Two Steelers are recovering from shoulder surgeries. Starting center Justin Hartwig and safety Ryan Mundy both underwent procedures of unknown nature after the season and have been going through rehabilitation. ... Coach Mike Tomlin filled the final opening on his staff when he hired Scottie Montgomery to coach the Steelers' wide receivers. Montgomery, 31, coached the wide receivers at Duke the past four seasons. He played the position for the Denver Broncos from 2000-02 after finishing among the career leaders at Duke.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10048/1036378-66.stm

solardave
02-17-2010, 04:57 AM
Leave it to Al Davis. I wonder in Janakowski got any of that cheese that slipped off.

truesteelerfan
02-17-2010, 11:22 AM
That sucks for us....With Reed already turning down what I'm sure we thought was a fair offer before last season....I'm worried he'll expect more than the team can afford to pay..for a kicker...He's good and he's one of my 2 UFA I'd like to keep (with Clark), but not for a salary near the Raiders K got.

steeltheone
02-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Janikowski has 146 touchbacks to Reeds 44. Granted he has two more years. Reed is more accurate.

truesteelerfan
02-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Great point about kickoffs!!! Reed is only the best at 50% of his job...he's performing below average at the other half...Sounds like he's worthy of a middle of the road+ type of contract for kickers.

steelreserve
02-17-2010, 11:36 AM
That sucks for us....With Reed already turning down what I'm sure we thought was a fair offer before last season....I'm worried he'll expect more than the team can afford to pay..for a kicker...He's good and he's one of my 2 UFA I'd like to keep (with Clark), but not for a salary near the Raiders K got.

Reed already expected more than the team can afford to pay for a kicker, so this doesn't really change a thing.

Also, whatever idiotic contract Al Davis has to dangle in front of players to keep them from jumping off his sinking ship, shouldn't be allowed to have any bearing on the real world. If an agent came in to me saying "Well, the RAIDERS just overpaid their guy by about 70%, so naturally my guy should get that much too" ... the agent would end up suing me for the neck injury I caused by slapping him so hard with my penis.

supa_fly_steeler
02-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Al Davis is such a dick, i bet this was his plan so teams like Steelers can't resign their accuracte kickers.

Asswipe.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-17-2010, 12:06 PM
I hope we get a 4th round compensatory pick for Bryant McFadden and pick Leigh Tiffin at the end of the 4th.

Save that $$ and use it to extend Woodley or Holmes. Towel dispensers in Scottsdale, AZ......watch out!!

lionslicer
02-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Janikowski has 146 touchbacks to Reeds 44. Granted he has two more years. Reed is more accurate.

Janikowski has a huge leg, but he's inacurate as hell from long distance... 25-49 for 50+ yard field goals to Reed's 44-63. Thats 51% by Janikowski, and 69% by Reed.

OX1947
02-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Al Davis is a freakin moron and no one uses him as a baromater. Pay reed 2 mil a year for 3 years and if he turns it down, then that is the way it is. And he makes that only because he is a great kicker. He is almost equally on the other side of the spectrum with field positon. Kicking to the 10 does not help the team.

WeegiesWarriors
02-17-2010, 01:01 PM
I'd rather have Janikowski personally. This signing means little to me because I think Janikowski is the better overall kicker when you factor in kickoffs (something I despise of Reed). Janikowsiki also hit from 60 or 61 in Cleveland this year. Reed would shit himself if he had to attempt from that distance.

Maybe gets Reed a little more per year and a bit more of a signing bonus, but he's not going to surpass that contract. Nobody will give him that.

steelerchad
02-17-2010, 02:24 PM
This may be the year to franchise or transition tag Reed. We would have to give him the avg. of the top 5 kickers for next season which would be fair. I don't think he gets as disgruntled as Hampton will if we tag him. He's still young and could kick for another 7-10 years. So he would need to perform well again to maximize his next deal. Hampton on the other hand is 33 and out of shape, he could say screw you to the Steelers and come in fat and dog it next year and call it a career in which case top 5 money would have been wasted on him next season.

I kind of like the idea of tagging Reed or at least threatening the tag to get a 4-5 year deal done with him at a reasonable price.

Boy have things swung in Reed's favor the last few months. Mid season he had blown the Bears game for us, was coming off of conduct run ins with the police, and many were questioning whether the Steelers would even want him around in the future. Then he finishes the year strong with FG %, every kicker in the playoffs blows a bunch of makeable kicks to cost their teams, and the Raiders way overpay for their kicker. CHA- CHING.

steelerdude15
02-17-2010, 02:40 PM
No kicker needs to be making 9 million in this league IMO. I also like Reed better than Janikowski.

SMR
02-17-2010, 04:20 PM
I hope we get a 4th round compensatory pick for Bryant McFadden and pick Leigh Tiffin at the end of the 4th.

Save that $$ and use it to extend Woodley or Holmes. Towel dispensers in Scottsdale, AZ......watch out!!

:rofl: That last sentence made me lose it! :applaudit:

On a much more serious note, I just wanna STRANGLE Al Davis, but I know I got a long wait in line, sigh.... :mad:

Psyychoward86
02-17-2010, 04:29 PM
I'd rather have Janikowski personally. This signing means little to me because I think Janikowski is the better overall kicker when you factor in kickoffs (something I despise of Reed). Janikowsiki also hit from 60 or 61 in Cleveland this year. Reed would shit himself if he had to attempt from that distance.

Maybe gets Reed a little more per year and a bit more of a signing bonus, but he's not going to surpass that contract. Nobody will give him that.

lol

supa_fly_steeler
02-17-2010, 04:35 PM

On a much more serious note, I just wanna STRANGLE Al Davis, but I know I got a long wait in line, sigh.... :mad:

naw he will be dead before u get a chance lol gang banged in the back of the lockeroom by the guys thaat want the money

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-17-2010, 04:37 PM

:
I am glad that I amuse you. did you find that funny ha ha, or funny strange??? :m16:

I honestly think the Cardinals had kicking problems last year and once they clear off Warner's salary from the books, trade Boldin (Early Doucet replaces him), they will have money to outbid us for Reed's services.

HometownGal
02-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Al Davis is such a dick, i bet this was his plan so teams like Steelers can't resign their accuracte kickers.

Asswipe.

:nono:

http://eatmywords.typepad.com/eat_my_words_the_dish/images/2008/01/21/wash_mouth_out_soap_small.jpg

I've already made my feelings on keeping Skippy very well known, so no need to rehash on my part.

On second thought . . .

KEEP THE SKIPPY!

SteelerFanInStl
02-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Janikowski has a huge leg, but he's inacurate as hell from long distance... 25-49 for 50+ yard field goals to Reed's 44-63. Thats 51% by Janikowski, and 69% by Reed.

You copied the stats wrong. Reed is 44-63 from 40-49 yards for 69%. Janikowski from 40-49 yards is 66-94 for 70.2%. Reed is 6-13 from 50+ for 46.2%. Janikowski was 9-10 from 40-49 and 6-8 from 50+ last year with one of those misses being a 66 yard effort. Showing the correct stats disproves your point about Janikowski being inaccurate from distance.

GBMelBlount
02-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Reed already expected more than the team can afford to pay for a kicker, so this doesn't really change a thing.

He's an excellent field goal kicker but he's a head case and is poor on kickoffs.

Would love to keep him but not at a price near what he likely expects or will get.

Galax Steeler
02-18-2010, 03:48 AM

Accuracy mean alot and from them stats I would rather have Reed.

SteelerFanInStl
02-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Accuracy mean alot and from them stats I would rather have Reed.

:toofunny: Read my post above.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-18-2010, 09:36 AM
You copied the stats wrong. Reed is 44-63 from 40-49 yards for 69%. Janikowski from 40-49 yards is 66-94 for 70.2%. Reed is 6-13 from 50+ for 46.2%. Janikowski was 9-10 from 40-49 and 6-8 from 50+ last year with one of those misses being a 66 yard effort. Showing the correct stats disproves your point about Janikowski being inaccurate from distance.

So Janikowski is more accurate and has a stronger leg than Reed. :blah: He doesnt have better hair than Reed....so there. :flap:

Northside Jonny
02-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Man I sure wish Al Davis would croak so the NFL could get rid of its retarded cousin Raiders! What a disgrace. On the other hand I guess I'm not all that suprised by the dumbass move comin from a dumbass
franchise.

SteelerFanInStl
02-19-2010, 07:47 AM
So Janikowski is more accurate and has a stronger leg than Reed. :blah: He doesnt have better hair than Reed....so there. :flap:

No one has better hair than Skippy. :toofunny:

mesaSteeler
02-20-2010, 07:58 AM
Reed talks not helped by Oakland
http://pit.scout.com/2/947605.html
By The Sports Xchange

Posted Feb 19, 2010

The Steelers opened negotiations with kicker Jeff Reed, whose value may have been buoyed by the new contract the Oakland Raiders bestowed on kicker Sebastian Janikowski.

Reed is among the three "priorities" the Pittsburgh Steelers have identified to try to sign before they can become unrestricted free agents. The others are nose tackle Casey Hampton and free safety Ryan Clark. Reed is considered the most signable of the trio but that could change after Janikowski signed for $16 million over four years, including $9 million in guarantees.

"It doesn't surprise me," agent Don Henderson said of the Oakland deal. "It's just about what I thought he would do. The ironic part is, if you take look at field goal kickers the last three years, Jeff leads league in field goal percentage."

Reed made 77 of 87 field goal tries the past three seasons, good for 88.5 percent. Janikowski made 80.2 percent of his kicks during those seasons. The average of the top 10 punters/kickers in the NFL before Janikowski's contract was a little more than $2.8 million.

Reed has never made a Pro Bowl but he quietly has been among the most consistent kickers in the league and, considering where he kicks, among the best. Heinz Field has an open end and is notorious for its tricky winds and the AFC North Division includes four cold-weather teams with open stadiums.

Reed averaged about $1.5 million annually on his last contract with the Steelers and has made no bones that he wants to remain in Pittsburgh. The Steelers made him a low-ball offer just before the start of the 2009 season that was quickly rejected.

The Steelers offered a contract to Reed just before the 2009 season began that was rejected.

"We tried to get something done before season and it just didn't work out," said Henderson. "We want to be in Pittsburgh and they know we want to be there."

PLAYER/PERSONNEL NOTES

* Coach Mike Tomlin hired Scottie Montgomery, 31, as his wide receivers coach. Montgomery coached Duke University's wide receivers the past four seasons. He played at Duke and for three seasons with the Denver Broncos.

* The Steelers remain reluctant to talk about what happened to WR Limas Sweed, placed on injured reserve for an unknown "illness" late last season that was not physical.

* "That's something that will be addressed at the proper time and now's not the proper time," Kevin Colbert said.

* RB Willie Parker has been working out in Dallas in preparation for free agency. Colbert said he is among those Steelers veteran free agents who will not receive a contract offer before March 5.

* Colbert would not talk about his own contract, which has one year left.

"Anything to do with my personal status I would not talk about it at this point or at any point. That's really not for me to discuss. I'm totally happy in my position at this point, sure."

It long has been rumored that if Bill Cowher took another coaching job, Colbert would join him as GM.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "We will operate as we always have. We will operate as if we have a cap because you don't know what you're going to be dealing with." -- Colbert on the team's 2010 budget.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

The Steelers signed two more players to contracts, CB David Pittman and LB Renauld Williams. Pittman was a third-round draft pick of the Ravens in 2006 and has little experience. Williams played for the 49ers, Dolphins and the past three seasons in the CFL.

OFFSEASON STRATEGY

First up for the Steelers is to sign a couple of impending unrestricted free agents. The only UFAs they will try to sign before March 5 are Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton, starting free safety Ryan Clark and kicker Jeff Reed. Reed will be their first priority. If they cannot sign Hampton to a multiple-year deal, they could franchise him. Clark will not be franchised or transitioned and is unlikely to come to terms by March 5.

Two veterans will not get offers before March 5, although the team might be interested in them if they do not get good offers elsewhere. Halfback Willie Parker and cornerback Deshea Townsend have been important members of two Super Bowl champions but they no longer are starters and would have to return as backups.

Starting right tackle Willie Colon will stay a RFA if there is no new CBA and they will issue him a high tender, as they did last season when he first became a RFA.

TEAM NEEDS

1. Offensive line: One reason the Steelers cannot run when they want is the blocking. They get no push from their front line. They have to develop a tackle at the very least and need to find their future centers.

2. Defensive line: They addressed this last year with DE Ziggy Hood in the first round, but they need to restock a line that has grown old. Another end and nose tackle are a must.

3. Defensive backs: With FS Ryan Clark likely leaving as a free agent, they have no one to replace him. Their CBs are below average as well.

MEDICAL WATCH: Two Steelers have had shoulder surgeries since the end of the season. Starting center Justin Hartwig and reserve safety Ryan Mundy underwent the procedures, although no other details on the corrective measures were available.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

--QB Charlie Batch is a reliable, when healthy, backup and that is the issue because he missed all of 2008 and ended 2009 with a broken wrist. He wants to return.

--LB Rocky Boiman was a late edition to try to save their drowning special teams. He's not likely to return.

--SS Tyrone Carter won't get a contract from the Steelers again unless he finds nothing from anywhere else.

--FS Ryan Clark would like to return and the team wants him back, but they are not likely to settle on a price before free agency begins.

--DE Nick Eason, if he's willing to return at a minimum salary, could re-sign.

--WR Joey Galloway was a late signing after Limas Sweed was placed on injured reserve. He did not dress for either game and he is not likely to be invited back.

--NT Casey Hampton is a priority to keep one way or the other. They will try to negotiate a new deal but it's more likely they will have to put the franchise tag on him.

--DE Travis Kirschke, although he turns 36 this year, has been dependable and could re-sign if he does not go elsewhere, especially if they get nothing at the position in the draft.

--RB Willie Parker has seen his last days in Pittsburgh. They would love to have him back as a backup to Rashard Mendenhall but he wants more playing time than that.

--K Jeff Reed could be their next signing because he not only is a priority, he's the most signable of their free agents.

--CB Deshea Townsend thinks he can still start in the league and the Steelers have no plans for him to do that. If he finds nothing of his liking in free agency, they will offer him a contract to return.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS (*indicates restricted because of uncapped year)

--*OT Willie Colon will be tendered at the highest amount, as he was last season, his third as their starting right tackle.

--CB William Gay had a disappointing first season as a starter but not bad enough that they want to lose him.

--P Daniel Sepulveda was middle of the road and not likely to receive a high tender. He was drafted in the fourth round.

--RB Carey Davis is listed as their starting fullback but rarely played and may not receive a tender.

--TE Matt Spaeth is No. 2 behind Heath Miller. He plays a lot but rarely is used as a target and he's not a good blocker.

--OG Darnell Stapleton was their starting right guard until an injury put him on injured reserve. Could receive a lower tender.

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS

--LB Patrick Bailey was their rookie of the year for his special-teams play in 2008, but dropped off last season.

supa_fly_steeler
02-20-2010, 08:00 AM
we dont need offensive lineman, Im excited to see what Kugler can do...

AllD
02-20-2010, 09:43 AM
I would rather have Reed over Janikowski watch my back while I was taking a leak in the parking lot.

solardave
02-20-2010, 01:48 PM

Asswipe.

He used to know he was a Dick. Now he has Alheimers and he doesn't even know he's a Dick.

supa_fly_steeler
02-20-2010, 01:56 PM
He used to know he was a Dick. Now he has Alheimers and he doesn't even know he's a Dick.

I can now see why Raider fans want him dead a long time ago :toofunny: