PDA

View Full Version : Steelers post-season digest: Two backs who could end up in black and gold

Galax Steeler
02-17-2010, 04:09 AM
Like they do each season, the Steelers are going to try to re-sign most of the free-agents they have. One big question remains though, as to whether or not running back Willie Parker will be one of those.
If not here is a possible replacement via the draft, former Stanford back Toby Gerhart and he could be a viable option as sources say the team is very high on him.

Although Gerhart met with Steeler officials during the Senior Bowl, it is not believed he will last longer than the third round. The question now, would the Steelers be willing to use a pick that high on a running back.

So who is Gerhart? At 6-1, 235 pounds he is big and has a knack for finding the end zone from the red zone. Last year he compiled 1,736 yards on the ground and scored 26 touchdowns. Both led the country. He was also a reason Stanford finished second in the Pac-10 and got its first bowl bid in eight years.

Gerhart also won the Doak Walker Award, honoring the nation's best running back and was second in the Heisman race. In 2008, Gerhart rushed for 1,136 yards, breaking Tommy Vardell's school record of 1,084 yards. For his career, he had 44 touchdowns and 3, 522 yards rushing.

The Steelers also met with another running back during the Senior Bowl, his name LaGarrette Blount. If he name sounds familiar there is a reason. During the 2009 season he punched out Boise State’s Byron Hout and it made national headlines following the Sept. 3 game.

He was suspended, but reinstated for the final three games and played in the Rose Bowl. That incident also brought character issues into play since he was also suspended from the team in February after setting a school record with 17 touchdowns his junior year. The reason for that suspension was the fact he missed workouts.

Despite missing most of the 2009 season, he is still considered one of the best backs in the draft and drawing comparisons to Michael Bush. A 6=2, 240 pounds he is a bruiser. Considering the Steelers try to avoid players with character issues this will be a player to watch in the near future.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m2d16-Steelers-postseason-digest-Two-backs-who-could-end-up-in-black-and-gold

Aussie_steeler
02-17-2010, 04:14 AM
Suprised to hear that the steelers met with LaGarrette Blount.

Usually they stay well away from guys with prior issues ( although there have been some exceptions)

Chidi29
02-17-2010, 06:02 AM
Suprised to hear that the steelers met with LaGarrette Blount.

Usually they stay well away from guys with prior issues ( although there have been some exceptions)

I bet Blount will do fine in the interviews. He had to show a good amount of remorse and sincerity in admitting his wrong doings to get reinstated at Oregon. No reason he won't show the same at the Combine and his Pro Day.

RJ1670
02-17-2010, 09:13 AM
Cmon CJ Spillar at 18!

I want what you're smoking

Vincent
02-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Do we want to draft a running back that wears a knee brace?

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-17-2010, 10:05 AM
I bet Blount will do fine in the interviews. He had to show a good amount of remorse and sincerity in admitting his wrong doings to get reinstated at Oregon. No reason he won't show the same at the Combine and his Pro Day.

I agree. All Blount did IMO was punch a guy that started talking trash to him after a big loss. I actually like the fire in the guy. Chris Kemoeatu only kicked a couple guys and ended up in anger management courses ......and he's fine as a Steeler. I'd rather have Blount than Gerhardt.

Do we want to draft a running back that wears a knee brace?

Its not like its gonna hamper his breakaway speed. I seemed to remember Mike Alstott wearing a knee brace and it didnt hamper him.

supa_fly_steeler
02-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Cmon CJ Spillar at 18!

That would be the most retarded pick possible, Mendenhall just had a real good season imo he could of gone for at least 1300 yards if he started, possibly more.

I wouldn't mind Blount i think he would be a good pick.

He isn't that naughty.

After the opening game of the 2009 season, Blount was suspended again, after punching an opponent and angrily confronting fans immediately after the nationally televised season-opening loss

Meh he would learn not to do this. Holmes was smoking green and got caught and then had one of the best possible post season games u could possibly have.

Steely McSmash
02-17-2010, 12:04 PM
That would be the most retarded pick possible, .

That would make a good thread in itself

My vote is for Timmy Tebow

AllD
02-17-2010, 12:53 PM
The Steelers also met with another running back during the Senior Bowl, his name LaGarrette Blount. If he name sounds familiar there is a reason. During the 2009 season he punched out Boise State’s Byron Hout and it made national headlines following the Sept. 3 game.

He was suspended, but reinstated for the final three games and played in the Rose Bowl. That incident also brought character issues into play since he was also suspended from the team in February after setting a school record with 17 touchdowns his junior year. The reason for that suspension was the fact he missed workouts.

Despite missing most of the 2009 season, he is still considered one of the best backs in the draft and drawing comparisons to Michael Bush. A 6=2, 240 pounds he is a bruiser. Considering the Steelers try to avoid players with character issues this will be a player to watch in the near future.[/I
]
The Dolphins have a whole string of RB busts who had off the field problems. Several are still serving time. We even picked off the castoff U of M star who dropped a duece in somebody's apartment while he was robbing them.

Rule of thumb is to stay away from problem RBs. Wide receivers like T.O. are great individual performers, but never lifted up a team to win a championship. I don't even need to get started with the problem QBs with Ryan Leaf being the biggest draft bust in history.

MasterOfPuppets
02-17-2010, 02:29 PM
neither of those two have "suddeness" or "glide" ...pass...:coffee:

steelerdude15
02-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Gerhart sounds like a good player. He could probably make a good 3rd down back if Parker is let go, Mendy is the starter with Mewelde being the back up. I wouldn't even go after Blount with what he did last year. I say grab Gerhart if:
1. Parker is let go.
2. I wouldn't use a first round pick on him, maybe not even a second, if he's available in the third grab him. But if it seems that he might go... we might have to grab him in the second.
Let's see what he can do in the combine coming up.

jdthree
02-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Blount's main concerns to me are his lack of receiving and blocking skills, not his incident against Boise St.....

Although I watched that game and saw it live and it was unbelievable..... never saw an athlete so out of control since George Brett coming out of the dugout when he was called out because of the pine tar on his bat....

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Blount's main concerns to me are his lack of receiving and blocking skills, not his incident against Boise St.....

Although I watched that game and saw it live and it was unbelievable..... never saw an athlete so out of control since George Brett coming out of the dugout when he was called out because of the pine tar on his bat....

Blount handled his blocking well in the backs on backers drills at the Senior Bowl. Never saw him catching the ball, but he showed a burst and cutting ability along with a forward lean while running that was impressive.

Should be gone in the 3rd round or early 4th round. Looked kind of like Matt Forte without the nifty feet to me. Just a 1 cut guy and hit the hole hard.

tony hipchest
02-17-2010, 06:39 PM
neither of those two have "suddeness" or "glide" ...pass...:coffee:

:chuckle:

Gerhart also won the Doak Walker Award, honoring the nation's best running back and was second in the Heisman race. In 2008, Gerhart rushed for 1,136 yards, breaking Tommy Vardell's school record of 1,084 yards. For his career, he had 44 touchdowns and 3, 522 yards rushing.

damn. "touchdown tommy"..... theres a name i havent heard since harbaugh (now gerharts coach) was mcmahons replacement on the bears.

i cant believe it. the bungles are bringing in cokeheads and those who "make it rain". the ravens have added another killer that the browns just released. the browns also dump the coke dealer the ravens once had.

yet steelerfans are skeptical about a player because he punched somebody. :noidea:

Northside Jonny
02-17-2010, 07:27 PM

So lets Draft the guy if he is still there after the fourth, use him as the short yardage and goaline back. We already have a very good tandem with Mwelde and Mendy.

MasterOfPuppets
02-18-2010, 12:04 AM
:chuckle:

damn. "touchdown tommy"..... theres a name i havent heard since harbaugh (now gerharts coach) was mcmahons replacement on the bears.

i cant believe it. the bungles are bringing in cokeheads and those who "make it rain". the ravens have added another killer that the browns just released. the browns also dump the coke dealer the ravens once had.

yet steelerfans are skeptical about a player because he punched somebody. :noidea::chuckle:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=44509&highlight=tommy+vardell&page=2

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Keep in mind that 2010 is the final year of Mewelde Moore's contract in Pittsburgh. I can definately see the Steelers looking for depth if they dont want to pay him again.

jdthree
02-18-2010, 06:39 PM
So lets Draft the guy if he is still there after the fourth, use him as the short yardage and goaline back. We already have a very good tandem with Mwelde and Mendy.

I don't disagree with you at all on that. After the fourth and he's one of my main targets along with a few small school prospects. I just don't want him in the first four rounds if questions about his hands and blocking skills keep on coming up.

He could come in late in games and bring a nastiness and short yardage game that we haven't had since..... well you-know-who :wink02: