PDA

View Full Version : Donte Stallworth signs with Baltimore

Nadroj 20
02-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Ravens sign Stallworth to 1-year deal
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Wide receiver Donte' Stallworth has signed a one-year contract with the Baltimore Ravens, hoping to resurrect a career that was halted by a manslaughter conviction.

Stallworth was recently released by the Cleveland Browns after being reinstated by the NFL following a one-year suspension. He was suspended for violating the league's personal-conduct policy for a DUI vehicular manslaughter charge.

Stallworth served 30 days in a Miami jail for striking and killing a Miami construction worker with his car while driving under the influence of alcohol.

The Ravens announced the signing Wednesday.

The deal is worth $900,000 with an additional $300,000 in incentives.

"There was a time I felt the mistake I made was the end of the world for me," Stallworth said in a statement. "I will never get that morning back. It weighs on me every day and will for the rest of my life. What I can do is move forward, try to be a better person, try to convince others not to do what I did and warn others about the dangers of drinking and driving. I have to show otherwise that what happened doesn't reflect who I am.

"I have to prove that, and, hopefully, I'm on my way to doing that. I know my apology will never be strong enough for some, but I've made changes, and I'm trying to be a positive influence. It's an honor and privilege to play in the NFL, and I'm so thankful for this opportunity."

The 29-year-old Stallworth worked out for the Ravens on Tuesday.

"We've given a lot of thought to this and we've done extensive research into Donte' beyond football," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "He made a huge mistake. There's no doubt about that. He has paid a significant price for that and, as he has said, he carries a heavy weight. As [Ravens owner] Steve [Bisciotti] has said, we believe in second chances, and Donte' does deserve that.

"But, we've signed him because we want to get better, and we think he has a chance to help us. We worked him out and it's obvious he is working hard to be effective. We thought it was important to sign him now, because other teams were pursuing him and we want him in our offseason program, which starts next month."

Stallworth played just one season for the Browns after signing a seven-year, $35 million contract in 2008. That year he recorded 17 receptions for 170 yards and one touchdown in 11 games.

Stallworth has caught 296 career passes for 4,383 yards and 32 touchdowns. He has played for the Saints, Philadelphia Eagles, New England Patriots and the Browns. He had a career-high 70 catches and 945 yards in 2005.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4921333

Vincent
02-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Shame. This is the sort the bungholes dive on.

stlrtruck
02-17-2010, 02:36 PM
I felt that Donte had some talent and then when he went to Cleveland it seemed to have disappeared. I wonder if going to baltimore will help him restore his career or deepen his poor choices and behavior.

Nadroj 20
02-17-2010, 02:38 PM
I think he can do ok with the Ravens who imo needs a good WR.

Like stlrtruck said he has some talent.

43Hitman
02-17-2010, 03:23 PM
30 days for killing someone with his car. Real nice. What are the chances that we only get 30 days for killing someone while drunk?

Vincent
02-17-2010, 03:31 PM
I’m immersed in the rich irony that Donte Stallworth can run over a man and be given a 30 day sentence for DUI manslaughter, that Jamal Lewis can be arrested with 5 kilos of cocaine and sentenced to 4 months, that Ray Lewis can be arrested for a double homicide and get off with 12 months probation, that Leonard Little gets 90-days in a work house for killing a woman while drunk on his ass, that Michael Vick, well, no comment, and the list of crimes and murders goes on and on and on, and that poor Plax gets stiffed for 2 years in the pokey for shooting himself. Ain’t that ironic? No, the rich irony is that all these thugs have been reinstated by a league whose high standards prevent a man of “controversy” from owning a minority stake in a franchise.

steelerdude15
02-17-2010, 03:45 PM
I’m immersed in the rich irony that Donte Stallworth can run over a man and be given a 30 day sentence for DUI manslaughter, that Jamal Lewis can be arrested with 5 kilos of cocaine and sentenced to 4 months, that Ray Lewis can be arrested for a double homicide and get off with 12 months probation, that Leonard Little gets 90-days in a work house for killing a woman while drunk on his ass, that Michael Vick, well, no comment, and the list of crimes and murders goes on and on and on, and that poor Plax gets stiffed for 2 years in the pokey for shooting himself. Ain’t that ironic? No, the rich irony is that all these thugs have been reinstated by a league whose high standards prevent a man of “controversy” from owning a minority stake in a franchise.
Vincent! I agree with you bud. I honestly believed that Vick should have never been allowed to come back after what he did, but he's back. It never really bothered me or anything like that. I think Plax should be allowed back cause all he did was harm himself. :toofunny: The thing about the Stallworth case is that the guy ran out in front of him. I wonder how Cleveland fans feel about Stallworth being a Raven now...

steelreserve
02-17-2010, 04:21 PM
30 days for killing someone with his car. Real nice. What are the chances that we only get 30 days for killing someone while drunk?

About zero, unless we could pay off the family with a seven-figure settlement.

That's the part that really pissed me off about it -- they didn't even TRY to downplay the fact that he basically bought his way out of it. It was like, "Well, he gave a nice cash payment to the family, so they came to us and asked for lesser charges."

All I know is if I was the one who got run down by a drunk driver, and my wife and kids were that willing to trade my life for money, I'd be pretty pissed.

Psyychoward86
02-17-2010, 05:39 PM
In my opinion: We still need to worry about a Brandon Marshall or Anquan Boldin to Baltimore trade...

43Hitman
02-17-2010, 05:52 PM

That's the part that really pissed me off about it -- they didn't even TRY to downplay the fact that he basically bought his way out of it. It was like, "Well, he gave a nice cash payment to the family, so they came to us and asked for lesser charges."

All I know is if I was the one who got run down by a drunk driver, and my wife and kids were that willing to trade my life for money, I'd be pretty pissed.

Me too.

UltimateBengal
02-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Ravens sign Stallworth
February 17, 2010 04:15 PM EST
views: 9

The Baltimore Ravens just classed up their organization by signing Donte’ Stallworth. The former Brown was suspended from the NFL for one season after killing a pedestrian while driving drunk nearly a year ago. He served only a few days in prison for the incident.

Peter King reported the Ravens were “desperate” for wide receivers. That is why they went out and got Stallworth. If you ask me, they must have been pretty damn desperate to take a chance on the 30 year old receiver. Only in the NFL can a guy like Stallworth actually kill somebody and get new start, and Plaxico Burress can shoot himself in the leg and still be in prison. Funny how the justice system works, isn’t it?

Well, at least that's one criminal the Bengals won't sign this offseason!:thumbsup:I hear Ray Lewis will be Stallworth's "mentor"!:sofunny:

tony hipchest
02-17-2010, 07:08 PM
ray the knife wil rehab him and lead him to God.

is this the 1st time in league history a team has had 2 killers on its active roster?

between the ravens and bungles thugadashery (and the browns complete sucktitude) is there any way we can get traded to the afc south for the titans?

after all we are a finesse passing team now who should love domes, warm weather, and artificial turf. :hunch:

AllD
02-17-2010, 07:25 PM
In all fairness to Stallworth, the pedestrian ran out into traffic. Yes, his BA limit was above the legal limit and he did buy off the relatives for a much reduced sentence.

However, 30 year old receivers are much closer to the end of their careers than the beginning. Plus he was never really that good. Good luck Rats.

Nadroj 20
02-17-2010, 07:53 PM

I agree 100 percent with this.

It just seems odd to me the level of the punishments that everyone you mentioned got and then plax gets TWO years for a weapon possesion charge that noone would have known about if he didnt shoot himself.....in no way am i saying plax shouldnt have got punished it just seems harsher then what the other guys got and they killed people and did immoral things

Just confusing a little :noidea:

steeltheone
02-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Once a bum always a bum...He will self destruct in Baltimore like Plax. and.C. Henry did on their respective teams.

UltimateBengal
02-17-2010, 09:40 PM
In all fairness to Stallworth, the pedestrian ran out into traffic. Yes, his BA limit was above the legal limit and he did buy off the relatives for a much reduced sentence.

However, 30 year old receivers are much closer to the end of their careers than the beginning. Plus he was never really that good. Good luck Rats.

Seriously, if the Bengals had signed this guy, would you start out by saying "in all fairness" about Stallworth? I doubt it. You'd be ripping the Bengals for it! Just sayin!!:chuckle:

mesaSteeler
02-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Ravens plus Stallworth adds up – it's no answer
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-preston0217,0,7551862,print.column
Mike Preston

3:49 PM EST, February 17, 2010

As soon as the news spread that the Ravens had signed receiver Donte' Stallworth, some fans made flight plans and hotel reservations for the 2011 Super Bowl in Dallas.

Forget Brandon Marshall, Malcom Floyd and Terrell Owens. The Ravens had finally gotten a legitimate No. 1 receiver that was going to take them to The Show. It was a show stopping, news breaking event for those who didn't know any better.

But in reality, the signing of Stallworth was just a further indictment of the Ravens receivers from a year ago. Let's make this perfectly clear: Stallworth is not The Answer.

In fact, he is still part of the problem. Put aside all of this Ravens' public relations about giving Stallworth a second chance.

The Ravens-Stallworth marriage was made out of desperation. The Ravens were looking for a receiver with some speed, and Stallworth was looking for another opportunity in the NFL.

The chances of him succeeding are slim. Stallworth missed all of the 2009 season because of a league suspension after he pleaded guilty to fatally hitting a pedestrian while driving drunk.

In 2008 with the Cleveland Browns, Stallworth had 17 catches for 170 yards and one touchdown. You add it up. How many veterans who are already fading after a seventh year can make a successful comeback after missing an entire season?

I understand the Ravens situation. In fact, I would take the gamble myself because Stallworth only agreed to a one-year deal worth about $900,000.

But the underlying message tells you that if the Ravens didn't have veteran receiver Derrick Mason and tight end Todd Heap, they wouldn't have had even an average receiving corps. Besides Mason and running back Ray Rice, when was the last time a Ravens receiver made substantial yardage after the catch?

At least throughout his career, Stallworth averaged 14.8 yards on 296 catches with 32 touchdowns. He's no Marshall or Owens, but he still might have enough juice left in his legs to produce more than Mark Clayton, Kelley Washington and Demetrius Williams.

"We've given a lot of thought to this, and we've done extensive research into Donte' beyond football," said Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome in a prepared statement. "He made a huge mistake. There's no doubt about that. He has paid a significant price for that and, as he has said, he carries a heavy weight. As [Ravens owner] Steve [Bisciotti] said, we believe in second chances, and Donte' does deserve that.

"But, we've signed him because we want to get better, and we think he has a chance to help us," Newsome said. "We worked him out, and it's obvious he is working hard to be effective. We thought it was important to sign him now, because other teams were pursuing him, and we want him in our off season program, which starts next month."

Newsome had several Ravens' coaches, including head coach John Harbaugh, give favorable impressions of Stallworth when they coached him with other NFL teams.

Stallworth admitted Wednesday that he had made changes in his life.

According to one of Stallworth's former assistant coaches who is still in the league, Stallworth is a nice, decent person who just partied too much.

"I know my apology will never be strong enough for some, but I've made changes, and I'm trying to be a positive influence," Stallworth said. "It's an honor and privilege to play in the NFL, and I'm so thankful for this opportunity. I will make the best of it, and some people may listen to me because I will be playing. I hope I can do some good in delivering a message that could help someone or prevent someone from doing what I did."

In a perfect world, the Ravens would like to avoid the excess baggage that Stallworth is carrying around. But they can't. The Ravens and Stallworth need each other.

If Stallworth is successful as far as turning around his life and making the team, then it's a great story.

But he's not the go-to guy this team needs on the outside to make Joe Flacco a better quarterback or the receiver they need to improve an already strong running game and possibly push the Ravens into the Super Bowl.

Stallworth is a complementary player, the type that can help fill out a roster. He's basically what the Ravens already have, but faster and more proven.

But the announcement of his signing may have shown that the Ravens are more in the risk-taking business this offseason, if the risk means a shot at the Super Bowl.

Could a Marshall or Owens be next? Might Newsome be willing to trade for Floyd in San Diego?

"We will take each case one at a time, player by player," Newsome said. "If the information is consistent with the background information we have gathered, then we will sit down and make what we think is a good decision for the Baltimore Ravens."

Copyright © 2010, The Baltimore Sun

tony hipchest
02-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Seriously, if the Bengals had signed this guy, would you start out by saying "in all fairness" about Stallworth? I doubt it. You'd be ripping the Bengals for it! Just sayin!!:chuckle:totally agree UB. in all fairness the ravens are just as scumy as the bengals on this one. :applaudit:

(so how long until the bengals sign recently released jamal lewis to add to johnson and benson?)

Ravnet
02-18-2010, 01:26 AM
Once a bum always a bum...He will self destruct in Baltimore like Plax. and.C. Henry did on their respective teams.

What a stupid comment.

Anyway, this move is probably just the front office wanting the fans to shut up, but if Ozzie does bring in a real target, such as Boldin/Marshall, then the Ravens suddenly have a very deep corps in Mason/Stallworth/Washington/Boldin or Marshal or Bowe or whomever.

SteelersinCA
02-18-2010, 01:41 AM

Paying the family a large chunk of change has absolutely zero to with whether the state pursues charges against someone.

tony hipchest
02-18-2010, 02:02 AM
What a stupid comment.

Anyway, this move is probably just the front office wanting the fans to shut up, but if Ozzie does bring in a real target, such as Boldin/Marshall, then the Ravens suddenly have a very deep corps in Mason/Stallworth/Washington/Boldin or Marshal or Bowe or whomever....anything to mask the stink of that aging defense and the loss that turned out to be the jets gain. :sofunny:

Ravnet
02-18-2010, 03:47 AM
...anything to mask the stink of that aging defense

I think that line was played out five years ago when it first started surfacing; there is a system in place that makes players, not the other way around.

When Ray retires, we'll start having problems, but until then the fact that guys like Kelly Gregg, Trevor Pryce etc. are getting old is completely negligible.

and the loss that turned out to be the jets gain

This one was invalidated with the lack of a fall-off after the departures of Mike Singletary, Mike Smith, Mike Nolan, Jack del Rio, Marvin Lewis, etc. on the defensive side.

Now tell me that our front office is going to fall apart after Kokinis, Phil Savage etc. being given GM jobs elsewhere in the league :applaudit:

solardave
02-18-2010, 07:43 AM

It shows you can never have enough murderers on your team. In his defense, they know Stallworth can run people over. I didn't intend for this comment to be funny. I think letting him play is a disgrace. He should be doing life for his crime. With Lewis they never proved it!!! Just shows the lack of integrtity the Ravens have.

SteelMember
02-18-2010, 08:42 AM
In my opinion: We still need to worry about a Brandon Marshall or Anquan Boldin to Baltimore trade...

Or something like it...

This move will give them at least one "possible" target. Now, they just need about 2 more WR's. And Heap isn't getting any younger either.

I think they still need to go WR with their 1st round pick this year.

steeldawg
02-18-2010, 08:46 AM

Great point!!!! It is ridiculous El Rushbo could not have a minority stake in the rams because comments he made where controversial , yet the league is littered with convicted felons.

Larry
02-18-2010, 10:36 AM
It's a good move with a lot of upward potential and little risk. If they don't like how he's performing in camp they can just cut him, with little cost to the organization. On the other hand, if he works harder than ever and plays like he has something to prove, they gain a lot. They only signed him to a one year deal worth $900,000.

Some of you are just kidding yourselves. Where do you get off with this self-righteous BS? Some of you don't even know the details of what you're talking about. Ray Lewis was never going to be convicted for murder; he definitely obstructed justice, and that's it. That's certainly a bad thing to do in that kind of scenario, but it happens all the time. Every time someone doesn't call the police when they see a crime happening, when they know who committed a murder but they don't talk to police. Ever heard of "stop snitchin'?" I don't get it, but it makes sense to a lot of people, and I have trouble labeling them all "bad" people. From an early age, many of them were brought up in an environment where intense distrust of law enforcement was normal.

Stallworth isn't a bad person. He made a terrible mistake, and may not have paid an appropriate price in the opinions of some (although they really don't know the details). But you think he should be in jail for life? You think that he's now a disgrace to humanity, and shouldn't be allowed to work? You think the Ravens are immoral for giving him a chance, and that another team wouldn't have? Honestly, some of you focus only on things that support your predetermined conclusion, and it's sad. Should I look up a list of Steelers who don't have such squeaky clean records? This is the NFL, and the Ravens are no more "thuggy" than the other teams made up of egotistical, testosterone fueled millionaires.

steelerdude15
02-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Yeah that is true, but with Baltimore picking up Stallworth, that might make it a less chance they'll be picked up.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-18-2010, 01:05 PM
I guess they wanted to swoop in and get him before the Bengals did.

St33lersguy
02-18-2010, 06:57 PM
He will fit just fine there.

St33lersguy
02-18-2010, 06:58 PM

That's our injustice system in a nutshell, the same injustice system that coddles to child rapists

steelpride12
02-18-2010, 09:28 PM
It's a shame in so many ways. I know everyone is saying about the 30 days after killing someone and all, but it's truly sad that Goodell gives all these players second chances in the NFL truly sad.

mikegrimey
02-20-2010, 07:03 PM
This is a good pick up for Baltimore, very low risk and possibility of a high reward. Hell, they need at least one real deep threat for Flacco---Baltimore was having a hard time moving the chains through the air the second half of last year, except against weak secondarys.

mikegrimey
02-20-2010, 07:05 PM
As for my personal ideas about the nature of Stallworth's crime and the length of his punishment---I can't agree more that his 30 days in jail was a disgrace, especially when so many people were making a fuss over Vick, who spent x23's as long as jail for dogs that were killed on his property---but, Stallworth is out and getting a second chance so that's just how it is.

silver & black
02-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Does everyone that thinks the 30 days thing is some kind of travesty of justuice know, or care to remember that, the victim of this accident was not completely faultless in his own demise? The guy jumped a barrier on a 4 lane highway to take a shortcut. That is against the law.

I absolutely agree that Stallworth was at fault for driving under the influence. I also know that I, nor any of you would expect to see a pedestrian in the middle of a 4 lane highway. Like I said, I don't condone Stallworth's driving under the influence, but chances are very good he would have made it to his destination without incidence had this guy not been where he wasn't supposed to be.

The victim's family saw $$$ signs and didn't pursue the matter. Stallworth stepped up and acted like a man through the whole thing. He didn't run or or deflect blame. He was cooperative with the police. You may not like the outcome, but it was an unfortunate accident.. the State and the family seemed fine with the outcome of the sentence... it should be let alone now.

mikegrimey
02-20-2010, 10:45 PM
I think its a little presumptuous to think that everyone seemed "fine" with the outcome.

That being said, it is a travesty when compared to people who are getting much harsher sentences for crimes that don't result in the death of another human being.

We can talk all day about a guy jay walking, or we can face the fact that Stallworth's inebriated driving cost a man his life, thats something that you can't put back. 30 days in jail when Vick is there for almost two years for DOGS mind you, is a joke.
'
There's no telling how many times Stallworth was driving drunk and putting other people at risk---that's an extremely selfish act, I don't really see spending one month behind bars as a just punishment for permanently ending a man's life.

steel striker
02-21-2010, 09:38 AM
I don't think Stallworth is a #1 rec but, i guess he better than what they have.

LambertIsGod58
02-21-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm not a fan of Stallworth being back in the NFL. But I also think he was always more hype than anything else. Never materialized after coming out of Tennessee IMO. He may be better than what they have now, but his best days IMO are over.

silver & black
02-21-2010, 09:53 AM
I think its a little presumptuous to think that everyone seemed "fine" with the outcome.

That being said, it is a travesty when compared to people who are getting much harsher sentences for crimes that don't result in the death of another human being.

We can talk all day about a guy jay walking, or we can face the fact that Stallworth's inebriated driving cost a man his life, thats something that you can't put back. 30 days in jail when Vick is there for almost two years for DOGS mind you, is a joke.
'
There's no telling how many times Stallworth was driving drunk and putting other people at risk---that's an extremely selfish act, I don't really see spending one month behind bars as a just punishment for permanently ending a man's life.

Settle down man... I was just giving another side of the issue... because I've read way too many rants about this case on many other sites, without acknowledgeing the victims part in this. Yeah, he paid the ultimate price for his mistake. Why didn't his family seek justice? They could have had it, but they saw the flash of a lot of green in their eyes, and they settled for that instead.

This case can't be compared to Vick's case. Vick's case was a Federal issue. Stallworth's case was a State issue. Vick denied his involvement untill the very end, when the evidence against him showed denial was useless anymore. He lied to FEDERAL investigators. Bad move! Vick's case was a Federal crime, weather you or anyone else thinks dog fighting is trivial or not. Stallworth's case fell under State jurisdiction. You may not like it, but it's apples and oranges.

There's no telling how many times Stallworth was driving drunk and putting other people at risk---that's an extremely selfish act,
How many times have you done the same thing? Don't tell me never, because we both know that's not true. I've done it on occasion, and so has everyone else that I know. It isn't right, but that doesn't change the fact that it happens. How many of you "smoke up" and get behind the wheel? I'd guess a fair amount of you do.

It's easy to sit back and cast stones... It's a lot harder to admit that you are no different than Stallworth... just sayin'.

Nadroj 20
02-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Settle down man... I was just giving another side of the issue... because I've read way too many rants about this case on many other sites, without acknowledgeing the victims part in this. Yeah, he paid the ultimate price for his mistake. Why didn't his family seek justice? They could have had it, but they saw the flash of a lot of green in their eyes, and they settled for that instead.

This case can't be compared to Vick's case. Vick's case was a Federal issue. Stallworth's case was a State issue. Vick denied his involvement untill the very end, when the evidence against him showed denial was useless anymore. He lied to FEDERAL investigators. Bad move! Vick's case was a Federal crime, weather you or anyone else thinks dog fighting is trivial or not. Stallworth's case fell under State jurisdiction. You may not like it, but it's apples and oranges.

How many times have you done the same thing? Don't tell me never, because we both know that's not true. I've done it on occasion, and so has everyone else that I know. It isn't right, but that doesn't change the fact that it happens. How many of you "smoke up" and get behind the wheel? I'd guess a fair amount of you do.

It's easy to sit back and cast stones... It's a lot harder to admit that you are no different than Stallworth... just sayin'.

:doh:

You dont know him! Your sitting there claiming that he has done that when you have NO CLUE.

silver & black
02-21-2010, 10:08 AM
:doh:

You dont know him! Your sitting there claiming that he has done that when you have NO CLUE.

No, I don't know him... but I do know human nature. That last bit in my post wasn't directed at him only... it was directed at everyone.

Since you decided to respond, I'll ask you: how many times have you gotten behind the wheel when you know shouldn't have?

Nadroj 20
02-21-2010, 10:12 AM
No, I don't know him... but I do know human nature. That last bit in my post wasn't directed at him only... it was directed at everyone.

Since you decided to respond, I'll ask you: how many times have you gotten behind the wheel when you know shouldn't have?

Absolutely NEVER, i have never drank before in my life.

Being 18 im sure alot people find that hard to believe but its true its something i never wanted to be apart of even though i had many friends that did.

Back to what you said, its not fair to direct that to everyone on here either, just like with me you asked the question probably thinking that i had, sorry your wrong.

silver & black
02-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Absolutely NEVER, i have never drank before in my life.

Being 18 im sure alot people find that hard to believe but its true its something i never wanted to be apart of even though i had many friends that did.

Back to what you said, its not fair to direct that to everyone on here either, just like with me you asked the question probably thinking that i had, sorry your wrong.

A whole 18 years old huh? Get back to me when you have a few life miles under you belt.

Nadroj 20
02-21-2010, 10:19 AM
A whole 18 years old huh? Get back to me when you have a few life miles under you belt.

I know not to judge people you dont know them, stick up for Stallworth all you want....stop trying to justify what he did by trying to belittle everyone else :banging:

Also i find it hilarious that because im young you think my views are tarnished or something, whatever

silver & black
02-21-2010, 10:38 AM
I know not to judge people you dont know them, stick up for Stallworth all you want....stop trying to justify what he did by trying to belittle everyone else :banging:

Also i find it hilarious that because im young you think my views are tarnished or something, whatever

Your views aren't tarnished at all... they are just the views of a person that has basically experienced nothing out in the real world... yet.

Being that you are either still in school, or recently graduated, your reading comprehension should be a lot sharper than it appears to be. I don't recall saying that I think Stallworth was right, in fact, I believe I said just the opposite. Not once did I justify his actions. What I did do was present the other side of the issue, nothing more.

I'll make a bet with you. You set up a poll and ask that everyone on this site answer honestly if they have ever gotten behind the wheel of a vehicle after they have had an alcoholic beverage or two.. or three... or more... if they have ever done the same after smoking it up... if they have ever done the same after ingesting or snorting an illegal substance. I'll wager that at least 80% of the members of this site have done it.

I'll be the first to tell you that I've gotten behind the wheel on more than one occassion after having had a few alcoholic drinks. I probably will again in the future. It isn't right, but I know I will do it.

I'll wager that before your life is over, you will do it too.

Nadroj 20
02-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Your views aren't tarnished at all... they are just the views of a person that has basically experienced nothing out in the real world... yet.

Thanks i know im not experienced at all but it is good to know your still listening to my thoughts

Being that you are either still in school, or recently graduated, your reading comprehension should be a lot sharper than it appears to be. I don't recall saying that I think Stallworth was right, in fact, I believe I said just the opposite. Not once did I justify his actions. What I did do was present the other side of the issue, nothing more.

Im sorry i mistook that then, i took it as since you said almost everyone has choosen to drink and drive that it gave them no right to judge what stallworth did. I knew that you didnt agree with what he did thats not what im saying, i just thought that since you were giving the example of everyone else has probably done that, that they didnt have a right or something to make a judgement about stallworth choosing to do the same. When you said something along the lines of "that doesnt make you much different then Stallworth" is kinda what put me onto that thought....

I'll make a bet with you. You set up a poll and ask that everyone on this site answer honestly if they have ever gotten behind the wheel of a vehicle after they have had an alcoholic beverage or two.. or three... or more... if they have ever done the same after smoking it up... if they have ever done the same after ingesting or snorting an illegal substance. I'll wager that at least 80% of the members of this site have done it.

Quite frankly thats none of my business and really not yours either, so im not doing this.

I'll be the first to tell you that I've gotten behind the wheel on more than one occassion after having had a few alcoholic drinks. I probably will again in the future. It isn't right, but I know I will do it.

Your an honest man thats cool

I'll wager that before your life is over, you will do it too.

Better not wager alot because you would lose.

I never wanted to get into a arguement with you or anyone about this, i took alot of what your were saying wrong :thumbsup:

Newzfoxjr
02-21-2010, 10:52 AM

What the hell? What kind of arguement is that? Just because he is 18, he can't take place in this arguement?

First you try to say that everyone has gotten behind the wheel drunk/high, then when he says he hasn't, you tell a legal adult to come back when he has more years on him?

I'm missing the part of this that makes drunk driving OK.

It's still wrong. It's still stupid.

What if someone hopped a median on a busy freeway when you're driving and have had a couple drinks? What if it's dark and they are wearing dark clothing?

You talk about high school and youth, but your arguement seems pretty elementary itself. Just because other people do something, no matter how stupid, it doesn't make it any less wrong. And because nadroj never has, it has to become a question of when? Huh?

I'm STILL missing the part of this that makes drunk driving OK.

And I'm really missing out on why you turned this into a "Who hasn't gotten behind the wheel drunk?" discussion.

silver & black
02-21-2010, 11:14 AM
What the hell? What kind of arguement is that? Just because he is 18, he can't take place in this arguement?

First you try to say that everyone has gotten behind the wheel drunk/high, then when he says he hasn't, you tell a legal adult to come back when he has more years on him?

I'm missing the part of this that makes drunk driving OK.

It's still wrong. It's still stupid.

What if someone hopped a median on a busy freeway when you're driving and have had a couple drinks? What if it's dark and they are wearing dark clothing?

You talk about high school and youth, but your arguement seems pretty elementary itself. Just because other people do something, no matter how stupid, it doesn't make it any less wrong. And because nadroj never has, it has to become a question of when? Huh?

I'm STILL missing the part of this that makes drunk driving OK.

And I'm really missing out on why you turned this into a "Who hasn't gotten behind the wheel drunk?" discussion.

Never mind. I'm guessing you aren't much older than the last guy, and I don't have the desire to argue with another youngster... I do enough of that with my own teenage daughters. :grin:

I've said my piece about this issue... I'll just bow out now, and leave this to the "young and in touch" crowd. Do me a favor though... remeber this thread/conversation 10 years from now. :wink02:

Newzfoxjr
02-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Yeah, okay buddy. Your "piece" made literally NO sense, and when nadroj called you on it, you pull some act about how since you've been on earth longer that you are above everyone.

You are pretty good at "bowing out" after someone out-debates you. That's about it.

silver & black
02-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Yeah, okay buddy. Your "piece" made literally NO sense, and when nadroj called you on it, you pull some act about how since you've been on earth longer that you are above everyone.

You are pretty good at "bowing out" after someone out-debates you. That's about it.

Ok. :sofunny:

ps... like said to the last guy.......... reading comprehension... make sure you use it before hitting submit.

mikegrimey
02-21-2010, 03:18 PM

I'm perfectly calm. Not trying to fight just pointing out my ideas in this issue.

As for your question, i've drove drunk numerous times when I was 18-20, but I don't anymore, period. You can think i'm lying all you want but that was a conscious decision I made a few years back.
Had I been responsible for harming anybody or cost somebody something because of my selfish act I wouldn't have expected any leniency granted towards me.

You can point out the difference between the Federal Gov being involed as opposed to the state gov but i'm not talking about the legal process per say, just comparing two very different crimes in their severity and two very different punishments given out for them.

silver & black
02-21-2010, 03:48 PM
I'm perfectly calm. Not trying to fight just pointing out my ideas in this issue.

As for your question, i've drove drunk numerous times when I was 18-20, but I don't anymore, period. You can think i'm lying all you want but that was a conscious decision I made a few years back.
Had I been responsible for harming anybody or cost somebody something because of my selfish act I wouldn't have expected any leniency granted towards me.

You can point out the difference between the Federal Gov being involed as opposed to the state gov but i'm not talking about the legal process per say, just comparing two very different crimes in their severity and two very different punishments given out for them.

I understand what you're saying. I was just trying to shed some light as to why the different sentences were given. You can't blame Stallworth for the sentence the State handed down. I was looking at it from a practical point of view, not a judemental one. The judicial system is supposed to use facts to detrmine a person's innocence or guilt, not feelings and opinions.

I wasn't really implying that most people have or do drive drunk. I was just pointing out that the vast majority of people have had a beer or whatever, and got behind the wheel.

The whole driving under the influence thing is a huge crock of sh*t, IMO. It exists solely for the purpose of making money. I'm not saying there shouldn't be penalties to pay for driving drunk... on the other hand, bars and restaurants are allowed to serve alcohol, but they are not held accountable for patrons who cause accidents after drinking at their establishments. Police lay in wait at the closing of bars to catch "drunk' people. I find the whole business of DUI's to be very suspect. The whole system is just a legalized way to bust people for profit. If the "powers that be" really wanted to curb the problem of driving under the influence, they would have laws stating that any establishment where alcohol is sold to be drunk on the premises, has to provide any patron with a ride home. It won't ever happen... there is too much revenue to be lost.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I happen to agree that Stallworth got off too easy... I was just trying to point out that there were other things to consider in the case.

HometownGal
02-21-2010, 04:13 PM
I also believe Stallworth got off the hook far too easily. I can't stand drunks whether they're behind the wheel of a car, slobbering all over themselves (and me) at a bar or spilling their damned beer down my back at a sporting event. :mad: I guess I'm being a little judgmental here, as I am a smoker but I am a very courteous smoker and don't smoke in anyone's home or car who doesn't embibe in the tabacky. In addition, a person has the option of getting away from the offensive smoke - unfortunately, most victims of drunk drivers don't have that option.

s&b - I respect your opinion here though I disagree. :drink: Deal just one time with MADD and by the time they're done beating your narrow azz, you'll have a different opinion. :chuckle:

silver & black
02-21-2010, 05:15 PM
I also believe Stallworth got off the hook far too easily. I can't stand drunks whether they're behind the wheel of a car, slobbering all over themselves (and me) at a bar or spilling their damned beer down my back at a sporting event. :mad: I guess I'm being a little judgmental here, as I am a smoker but I am a very courteous smoker and don't smoke in anyone's home or car who doesn't embibe in the tabacky. In addition, a person has the option of getting away from the offensive smoke - unfortunately, most victims of drunk drivers don't have that option.

s&b - I respect your opinion here though I disagree. :drink: Deal just one time with MADD and by the time they're done beating your narrow azz, you'll have a different opinion. :chuckle:

I believe you!

I hope I haven't given the impression that I condone drinking and driving; I don't. I grew up in an alcoholic environment... my grandparents, aunts, uncle, and in the end, my father, were all alcoholics. My father pulled himself out of it with the help of my mother and us kids... thank God.

My issue with the drinking and driving thing is that, to me, the whole thing is a hypocritical mess. You can go to a bar and drink if you're of age... but don't try to go home. You're old enough at 18 to die for your country... but don't you dare take a drink. I don't have the answer to this "problem" but there has to be a better solution to the way it's dealt with.

I don't agree with busting someone because they had a beer after work with the boys, and then drove home. You and I both know that 99% of people aren't drunk after one beer, or even two, but I guarantee that you will be given a breathalyzer test and charged with DUI. If that's how it is... and it is... there shouldn't be any alcohol allowed to be purchased for consumption in any establishment that sells directly to the public.

Alcohol has been a problem one way or another since the days of prohibition... I suppose it always will be.