PDA

View Full Version : If Parker leaves...........

SteelerFanInATL
02-17-2010, 01:42 PM
.......Who will backup Mendy? Do we look for another RB in the draft or FA? This will be intersting to watch during the offseason.

Nadroj 20
02-17-2010, 01:45 PM
I am 100% ok with giving the backup role to Moore. He is pretty underrated IMO and was huge for us during are SB season. I would feel very comfortable with moore being our backup.

zulater
02-17-2010, 02:16 PM
I really don't think Parker's going anywhere. With Tomlinson, and possibly Westbrook to be UFA's as well, I just don't think he'll find much interest out on the open market. Basically who's going to offer him anything more in the way of playing time and money than the Steelers will?

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-17-2010, 02:35 PM
I really don't think Parker's going anywhere. With Tomlinson, and possibly Westbrook to be UFA's as well, I just don't think he'll find much interest out on the open market. Basically who's going to offer him anything more in the way of playing time and money than the Steelers will?

Parker will have more value on the FA market than LT will....

I have been pretty verbal about drafting a back in the 5th-7th round this year. I had wanted Joique Bell from Wayne St but he is now predicted to go in the 4th round....so maybe we can look at another small school sleeper like Pat Paschall of North Dakota State in the late 6th round.

steelerdude15
02-17-2010, 02:38 PM
I don't know, I'd like to see Willie stay, but he might be let go. We'll just have to see...

lionslicer
02-17-2010, 02:39 PM
Moore... he's solid, he's had good games rushing for us. For 3rd string we'll probably use one of the backs we have on the practice squad who showed a lot of promise, but we had 3 good backs already, so they couldn't come up, but they are on the offseason roster, and more than likely we'll go with one of them then waisting a pick in the draft.

supa_fly_steeler
02-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Id like to see Isaac Redman run and crushing peoples backs plowing into the endzone.

zulater
02-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Parker will have more value on the FA market than LT will....

I have been pretty verbal about drafting a back in the 5th-7th round this year. I had wanted Joique Bell from Wayne St but he is now predicted to go in the 4th round....so maybe we can look at another small school sleeper like Pat Paschall of North Dakota State in the late 6th round.

Why?

LT and Westbrook are both better catching the ball out of the backfield than FWP. Unless Parker's willing to take a little more than the veterans minimum I just don't see where he has great value on the open market coming off his two most recent seasons. .

steelreserve
02-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Why?

LT and Westbrook are both better catching the ball out of the backfield than FWP. Unless Parker's willing to take a little more than the veterans minimum I just don't see where he has great value on the open market coming off his two most recent seasons. .

For the last two or three years, every time I pointed out Parker's shortcomings, all I heard back was "He's a starting running back in the NFL. Pro coaches know what they're doing, and most teams would be glad to have someone like him." I pray that now, those same people think that those same NFL coaches would be glad to have him.

Hell, as long as ONE coach wants Parker on the team, and as long as it's not Tomlin, that's good enough for me.

As for a backup ... I'm fine with Moore in that role, and Summers and Redman can fight it out for the third spot, or maybe a new guy if we draft one or sign a mediocre FA.

mulldog24
02-17-2010, 04:06 PM
I would like to see Redman or Summers get a shot at the 3rd back. Redman has shown he can run hard and IMO Summers isn't a good fullback but could be a descent RB for us.

Psyychoward86
02-17-2010, 04:27 PM
there are teams that will go after LT and Westbrook like mad dogs. They arent the type of guys we can afford or really necessarily need. Moore is a poor man's Kevin Faulk, but he's quite good, just not really good enough to handle the job at RB if he has to start (yes, i know what he did in '08 dont remind me). I think unless we draft another RB in the mid to late rounds of the draft, we'll do either.....

1) Evaluate the development of Issac Redman

2) Pick up one of the more under-the-radar RB's in free agency. There aren't very many, almost all of the decent/good ones are restricted FA's. I think Kevin Faulk and Jason Snelling are good possibilities in this scenario. If the Steelers stretch out their wallets a little more, we could pickup Chester Taylor or Leon Washington, but a fat chance is a fat chance, and we dont really need those two guys. They'll probably be too much money, and we already have Moore in a "chester taylor type role" and Leon Washington does the same, except he's also a return man, which we also have.

I think when it comes down to it (Option #2), we just might pick up Jason Snelling. He was perhaps the most underrated runningback of last year. He came on strong and steady, sometimes MORE than strong and steady the 2nd half of the season when Michael Turner was getting plagued with injuries. Soft hands, tackle breaker, and he kept getting better and better as the season wore on. Mendenhall and Snelling would be a menacing dose of punishment. I think he's good enough to steal a lot of carries from Turner even when Turner is healthy.

EDIT: In some places im seeing that he's an RFA and other places that he's a UFA. If he's supposed to be an RFA then nvm about option #2 lol

OneForTheToe
02-17-2010, 04:32 PM
I believe John Kuhn's wife had a baby last year. Since we all know it only takes about 18 months for Kuhn to reach maturity, I'm thinking he will be ready for the draft next year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-17-2010, 04:40 PM
I think LT has shown he has lost his step and burst. He has a lot of carries on him and might end up suffering the same fate as Shaun Alexander in free agency. Tough for him to go somewhere as backup depth.

Oddly enough, I can see the Chargers looking at Parker to complement Sproles in the backfield.

Chidi29
02-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Tomlin has soured on Moore, openly criticizing his pass blocking in one of his press conferences. I like his downhill running ability, but he's probably going to get phased out. I'd like to see us bring in either another blocking back or a speedy/scat back type. Probably in the late rounds of the draft or bring in a UDFA.

steeltheone
02-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Parker wants more carries...This he wont get here..

zulater
02-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Parker wants more carries...This he wont get here..

He might not get them elsewhere either.

I'd say it's 50/50 that Parker's back in Pittsburgh in the same capacity he was filling at the end of the year.

Prok
02-17-2010, 05:37 PM
Tomlin has soured on Moore, openly criticizing his pass blocking in one of his press conferences. I like his downhill running ability, but he's probably going to get phased out. I'd like to see us bring in either another blocking back or a speedy/scat back type. Probably in the late rounds of the draft or bring in a UDFA.

I think Moore has too much versatility for us to phase him out yet. I'm not quite sold on Redman or any other RB developing either.

I agree with bringing in another RB. We'll probably spend an early to mid-round draft pick on a RB to compete with Moore. But ultimately i think Moore stays on the roster due to his ST's, 3rd down and backup versatility.

So i'm thinking our RB situation next year will consist of Mendy Moore and draftee/free agent.

Got your eyes on a specific RB that would fit the mold for us? Draft or FA.

Chidi29
02-17-2010, 08:10 PM
No, can't give you a good idea of who'd I'd want yet. Maybe Stafon Johnson? Upchurch from Alabama? Pro style of offense, lots of experience in pass protection. But I couldn't give you anything concrete at this point.

Galax Steeler
02-18-2010, 03:37 AM
I see no way Parker will be back in Pittsburgh he will go elswhere. Moore would be a short term solution if Mendenhall went down I don't think he would be able to fill the starting roll for a substantial amount of time. I can see us drafting a running back from this years draft I don't think it will be in the early rounds I would say anywhere from no.4 pick to the 7th round.

Steeldude
02-18-2010, 08:03 AM
.......Who will backup Mendy? Do we look for another RB in the draft or FA? This will be intersting to watch during the offseason.

a more consistent and more multi-talented RB named mewelde moore

Steeldude
02-18-2010, 08:05 AM
they have summers, vincent and redman to compete also.

Prok
02-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Problem I got is i'll see a highlight tape and automatically get enamored with <insert player here>. lol

Could only imagine how tough it is on a scout/coach.

they have summers, vincent and redman to compete also.

I honestly can't see any of those guys developing into a steady platoon type back yet. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Psyychoward86
02-18-2010, 04:13 PM
a more consistent and more multi-talented RB named mewelde moore

you're kidding right.

solardave
02-18-2010, 04:20 PM

You may be right but I think Willie is better than LT at this stage in their careers. Westbrook has had a lot of head trama as of late. I think Willie will get some offers but probably not what he wants.

SteelGhost
02-18-2010, 04:22 PM
If the pass-happy trend continues (I know, I know Artie wants to have a better running game) we'll need a RB that can catch the ball and Mewelde Moore can fill that role nicely. I expect a nice "battle" in training camp among Redman, Vincent and Summers for the third spot.

Steeldude
02-22-2010, 08:49 AM
you're kidding right.

no. are you suggesting parker has been consistent and is more multi-talented than moore? moore has actually been the most consistent RB when called on.

Nadroj 20
02-22-2010, 11:08 AM
no. are you suggesting parker has been consistent and is more multi-talented than moore? moore has actually been the most consistent RB when called on.

yea i agree, im not saying Moore is better then Parker, however recently he has been more consistent.

steelreserve
02-22-2010, 12:11 PM
yea i agree, im not saying Moore is better then Parker, however recently he has been more consistent.

To clarify: Moore is better than Parker in just about all aspects these days. Mendenhall is better than Parker in just about all aspects.

People who still say "What will we do without Parker" need to wake up and realize that they're worrying about the departure of a third-string running back who was getting paid $4.5 million. Only explanation I can think of for something that illogical is nostalgia, although nostalgia for what isn't terribly clear to me.

vrabinec
02-22-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm seeing a lot of mocks that have us picking Spiller in the 1st. I like Spiller a lot, but I'd throw up if we drafted him instead of a player at a real need position. I think we'll go in with Moore as the backup, with the guys we have now competing with a mid round pick and a couple UDFA's we sign for camp.

AllD
02-22-2010, 02:11 PM
You can never have too many RBs.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-22-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm seeing a lot of mocks that have us picking Spiller in the 1st. I like Spiller a lot, but I'd throw up if we drafted him instead of a player at a real need position. I think we'll go in with Moore as the backup, with the guys we have now competing with a mid round pick and a couple UDFA's we sign for camp.

I agree. Lots of RB's in the 3rd and beyond. Blount, Tate, Dixon, Bell, etc.

Most have to remember that this is the final contract year of Mewelde Moore. He may not be back for 2011 or beyond, so a RB is likely to be selected.

aclark99
02-22-2010, 03:00 PM
If Parker leaves which I think he will, I would like to see us draft a guy like Toby Gerhart. He is a bruising type of back with some speed.He kinds of reminds me of Merril Hoge. He would be that goal line back we have missed for the last several years. He could be taken in the 3rd or 4th round. Blount would also be a great back for us to take in the 3rd or 4th round.:helmet:

Psyychoward86
02-22-2010, 05:09 PM
If Parker leaves which I think he will, I would like to see us draft a guy like Toby Gerhart. He is a bruising type of back with some speed.He kinds of reminds me of Merril Hoge. He would be that goal line back we have missed for the last several years. He could be taken in the 3rd or 4th round. Blount would also be a great back for us to take in the 3rd or 4th round.:helmet:

Blount is a bengals type-of-guy thug

Nadroj 20
02-22-2010, 06:19 PM
To clarify: Moore is better than Parker in just about all aspects these days. Mendenhall is better than Parker in just about all aspects.

People who still say "What will we do without Parker" need to wake up and realize that they're worrying about the departure of a third-string running back who was getting paid $4.5 million. Only explanation I can think of for something that illogical is nostalgia, although nostalgia for what isn't terribly clear to me.

Yea thats a statement i agree with, sorry if i wasnt clear before :chuckle:

verks36
02-22-2010, 11:34 PM

there is no way we draft a running back in the first round. We will go Defense or O-line dont get me wrong i would love to have spiller but come one with the oline we have you could have CJ back their and he wouldnt be able to find any holes