View Full Version : Harris: Time is now for Steelers' Clark

mesaSteeler
02-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Harris: Time is now for Steelers' Clark
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_667484.html#
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, February 17, 2010

You're Ryan Clark, starting free safety with the Steelers the last four seasons. This is your story.

You're an unrestricted free agent who wants to finish your career in Pittsburgh. Of course you do.

Joining a new team would mean uprooting your family and learning yet another system your fourth in nine years.

You won a Super Bowl with the Steelers. But so did former free safety Chris Hope, who said all the right things about wanting to finish his career with the Steelers but left for more money with the Tennessee Titans.

You really have to hope the Steelers don't have someone in mind to replace you the way they knew how to replace Hope.

Remember who that was? You, of course.

You hope the Steelers aren't stuck on Ryan Mundy, who is working out at West Virginia with his college coach, Bill Stewart. You hope the Steelers prefer your experience and understanding of the defense to Mundy's relative youth and lack of prime-time experience.

You hope the Steelers' brass values your friendship with fellow starting safety Troy Polamalu.

You hope the Steelers are fixated on drafting nose tackles, linebackers, offensive linemen and cornerbacks. But not safeties.

You hope that USC safety Taylor Mays is off the board when the Steelers select at No. 18 in the first round. You hope the Steelers' brass continues to have selective amnesia if safeties Morgan Burnett of Georgia Tech and Myron Rolle of Florida State are available in later rounds.

Spending a high draft pick on a safety would make it difficult for the Steelers to bring you back.

Polamalu earned $6.495 million last season. The transition tag for the position is a little over $6 million, which is what it would take for the Steelers to retain you if they don't re-sign you to a long-term deal.

The chances of that happening are remote, no matter what your agent thinks.

''We can all conjecture they're not going to pay two safeties a lot of money. Well, why wouldn't you?'' your agent, Joel Turner asks. ''You pay two defensive linemen a lot of money. You pay two linebackers a lot of money. You can only afford to have one safety? You're not paying two free safeties. You're paying a strong safety and a free safety. You need one of each for the defense to work well.

''We're not asking for a fortune. We're just asking for a fair deal. If they're not fair, I'll be shocked.''

If the Steelers re-sign Clark and nose tackle Casey Hampton, I'll be shocked. Tagging both players for next season would run in excess of $13 million.

Good luck with that happening.

Remember, the Steelers could have re-signed Clark a year ago after winning Super Bowl XLIII. Instead, they re-signed tight end Heath Miller and defensive end Brett Keisel to long-term deals.

Still, the Steelers' loss could result in Clark's financial gain.

If Clark can wrap his mind around the idea of wearing a different uniform next season, the idea of 31 other potential employers in the NFL, it could ease the sting of not returning to the Steelers.

After all, a paycheck is a paycheck.

The NFL is all about timing, so this is a great time to be a free safety with free agency only a week away.

New Orleans likely will franchise Darren Sharper, taking the best free safety off the market and putting more potential free-agent dollars in Clark's pocket.

Last year, safeties Gibril Wilson (five years, $27.5 million) and Yeremiah Bell (four years, $20 million) were the big winners in free agency.

It's Clark's turn to cash in.

''If that's the money those guys are making, then Ryan's worth more,'' Turner says of Wilson and Bell. ''Ryan is the best free safety available in unrestricted free agency. There are some guys who are younger, but Ryan's it.''

Sure, Clark wants to finish what he started with the Steelers. Maybe he'll have the opportunity to do just that.

More likely, Clark will move on to another team, and the Steelers will repeat their familiar game plan of replacing a key starter with a younger, less expensive version.

It is a cold, calculating business model with little thought given to sentimentality, but it's what works for the Steelers.

Clark can console himself with fond memories and a larger paycheck.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

tony hipchest
02-17-2010, 09:23 PM
jerry jones will make him an offer he cant refuse and we cant match.

i guess we can scrape ken hamlin off of dallas's dung pile though (he's been stealing money since 06 and could sign for cheap).

*sigh*

Psyychoward86
02-17-2010, 10:10 PM
What have you guys seen out of Mundy's development at safety? I really havent paid attention to him, mostly he just seemed to pop up once in a while on special teams...

steelerdude15
02-17-2010, 11:38 PM
I really haven't noticed much of Mundy to be honest. I'm pretty sure he could be a good safety, but he is young and doesn't have the experience of Clark. Then again, sometimes Clark acts like he has less experience than he really does. I don't blame him for wanting to retire as a Steeler, but we'll just have to see...

Galax Steeler
02-18-2010, 04:54 AM
A quick fix for us if he leaves is Earl Thomas simple as that.

solardave
02-18-2010, 06:03 AM

Question is. Will he be around at 18?

supa_fly_steeler
02-18-2010, 06:15 AM

Agreed +1.

Even if he does resign with the steelers we should still draft safeties for depth and the future.

the upcoming class is loaded with talented safties from rnd 1-7

supa_fly_steeler
02-18-2010, 06:17 AM
Question is. Will he be around at 18?

He can be, i don't think the Giants will take safety, because of Pierce i think they will go Linebacker.

They got webster,ross, johnson and that other guy as a safety, the other guy got injured all year so c.c. brown covered in (cant cover brown) and he kept getting burned like tyrone carter.

groundhogday
02-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Harris mentions Taylor Mays. I don't see us taking him as there will be other BPAs available which will address needs (including Thomas over Mays), OL, DL, CB.

SteelerEmpire
02-18-2010, 09:14 AM
jerry jones will make him an offer he cant refuse and we cant match.

i guess we can scrape ken hamlin off of dallas's dung pile though (he's been stealing money since 06 and could sign for cheap).

*sigh*

Ha ha... would'ent be surprised... But I hope Clark gets to stay on. If he leaves I'm gonna miss the hardest hitting FS in the NFL.... kind of gave the Steelers D a little flavor...

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-18-2010, 09:39 AM
I guess if Clark goes, this could probably mean the signing of Ty Carter again :doh: and drafting a rookie. Man I have had enough of Tyrone Carter in the secondary already.

mulldog24
02-18-2010, 09:53 AM
I hope that we do resign Clark but at the same time if Earl Thomas falls to us in the draft we should still take him.

msafford
02-18-2010, 11:13 AM
I guess if Clark goes, this could probably mean the signing of Ty Carter again :doh: and drafting a rookie. Man I have had enough of Tyrone Carter in the secondary already.

Definitely understandable. Although, Carter did do quite well when he played free safety across from Troy in Denver last year. Granted, that was just one game though.

Dino 6 Rings
02-18-2010, 11:29 AM
After the Revis situation, I wouldn't "hope" anyone falls to us in the Draft, remember the Jets jumped over us to grab him last minute, we settled on Timmons. (I don't care what anyone says in the Pittsburgh Front Office about wanting Timmons over Revis, Revis was the guy on our board, no one can tell me otherwise)

Anyway, I like Clark, he really stepped up with Troy being down and was by far our best asset in the secondary while Troy wasn't playing. He hits hard, covers well enough and is a force back there, plus when combined with Troy, he gets forgotten and is able to make huge plays for us.

steelreserve
02-18-2010, 12:34 PM

You can say that again. Plus, it seems like he's ended up playing about three full seasons in the last four years because people are getting hurt, going to the hospital, falling off cliffs, having anvils land on their heads, etc. Rarely have I seen a backup be relied upon so heavily without either a) taking over a starting job because it turns out he's good enough, or b) being cut in favor of someone with more potential, because he's maxed out below what we'd like. Time to send him off to the Lions, or retirement.

Pentheon
02-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Anyway, I like Clark, he really stepped up with Troy being down and was by far our best asset in the secondary while Troy wasn't playing. He hits hard, covers well enough and is a force back there, plus when combined with Troy, he gets forgotten and is able to make huge plays for us.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I hope we get Clark back, I think hes the hardest hitting safety in the league. Call me biased or not.

:tt::tt04::tt02:

supa_fly_steeler
02-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself. I hope we get Clark back, I think hes the hardest hitting safety in the league. Call me biased or not.

:tt::tt04::tt02:

non bias just look what he did to mcgahee, he creamed him out, laid out wes welkers feeble body and also delivered a crunching blow to percy harvin.

:tt04: :tt04: :tt04: :tt04:

steelpride12
02-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Mundy must be ready to go though. Figure this. First off if Clark goes we have to be lucky enough to get Earl Thomas in the draft because there are a possible two other teams plus who could snatch him up before the 18th pick. Second how do we know Thomas will be the "answer" for the FS position and will fit in and play great at that position, throwing a rookie first round pick doesn't mean great success. Im just saying just in case situation having Mundy ready couldn't hurt.

tony hipchest
02-18-2010, 08:25 PM
i hate to be a downer or a bearer of bad news but i think clark is as good as gone.

there are only 2 starting safeties who are unrestricted free agents going into this uncapped season. ryan clark, and darren sharper (sb champions the past 2 years). that means if any team wants or needs a safety, the well is pretty much dry, other than the draft. it also means that if we lose clark we are pretty much screwed. atleast when we lost chris hope we were able to go out and get clark.

clark was washingtons cast off when we signed him. there simply will not be any cast offs like that, this year.

i was listening to peter king 2 days ago. he talked about what a great leader clark was while spending a day or 2 in latrobe on his last camp tour. while the entire secondary is a tight nit group, always joking and having fun, troy is the quiet one. clark is the vocal leader and a qb back there. he said, any team needing that type of leadership, and cohesiveness would be wise to sign him.

this is exactly the same situation chris hope was in. hope left the steelers, made the pro-bowl for the 1st time (and led all safeties in tackles) and then helped solidify a unit on a team that led the league in victories in 08.

i predict ryan clark will be a cowboy. jerry jones needs to be in the superbowl in his own stadium. i did some research and did not like finding the proof of what i initially thought. jones can actually spend no more than he currently is, and upgrade the position-

http://footballoutsiders.com/under-cap/2009/under-cap-top-ten-safeties

Under the Cap: Top Ten Safeties

This week we wrap up our look at the highest paid starting defenders in the league by analyzing the safety position. The two players who stand out to me as I look at the table below are Indianapolis' Bob Sanders and Pittsburgh's Troy Polamalu.

When the average person thinks of the Indianapolis Colts, the first thing that comes to mind is quarterback Peyton Manning. When a cap guy thinks of the Indianapolis Colts, many of them associate the club with overpaying core players and filling the rest of the roster out with draft picks and undrafted rookie free agents. Consider that Peyton Manning's 2004 contract paid him $34.5 million guaranteed, and five years later, in a more lucrative salary cap environment, his brother Eli Manning got $35 million guaranteed. This shows how astronomical Peyton's contract was at the time. In 2004, wide receiver Marvin Harrison received a contract that guaranteed him $23 million, well above the guarantee market for wide receivers at that time.

When one looks at the contract signed by tight end Dallas Clark in 2008 for $20 million guaranteed and $27 million over the first three years, they'll see that no other tight end in the game approached these numbers. As a matter of fact, over the first three years of their deals, Clark was going to make as much as New England's Randy Moss. The collateral beneficiary of Clark's contract was Tampa's Kellen Winslow, who signed a contract in 2009 also worth $20 million guaranteed, but with a three-year total that is nowhere near Clark's.

At defensive end, Minnesota's Jared Allen can thank the Colts and Dwight Freeney for setting the market for elite pass rushers at $30 million guaranteed, when no other defensive ends were making this type of guaranteed money. Freeney signed his contract in the summer of 2007. The following offseason, Allen was traded to Minnesota and signed a contract for just shy of $32 million guaranteed.

This trend of overpaying core players also applies to safety Bob Sanders, whose inability to stay healthy really makes one question whether the Colts are getting their money's worth. That aside, the Sanders contract, signed in late 2007, took the elite safety market to another level from both a guaranteed and three-year total perspective. Sanders' contract guaranteed him $20 million and paid him $24 million over the first three years when, at the time, elite safeties were getting paid in the neighborhood of $10 to $15 million guaranteed, with roughly $15 million over three years. Three months after the Sanders contract was executed, we then saw the Jets' Kerry Rhodes get a $20 million guarantee at safety.

As much as Sanders set the guarantee market for elite safeties, one cannot overlook the impact of the $17.5 million guarantee paid to Washington's LaRon Landry as the sixth overall pick in 2007. Surely, the Landry guarantee influenced the increase in the safety market.

The Polamalu contract is interesting in that the three-year total was a market-setting $24 million, as this deal was completed five months before the Sanders deal and his $24 million three-year total. The Polamalu contract, however, only guarantees $11 million. A contract with $11 million over four new years means a guarantee per year of $2.7 million. This was in line, at the time, with the $2.5 million for Baltimore's Ed Reed and $3 million for Oakland's Michael Huff. With the guarantee market for safeties jumping to $20-plus million just a few months later, however, it appears that one of the premier safeties in the game was slighted in his guarantee. As is so much in life, it's all about timing.

Currently, from an average per year perspective, Arizona's Adrian Wilson leads safeties at $7.9 million per year. The Wilson contract is a good deal for the player as it's a good combination of the positives of both the Polamalu and Sanders contracts. Wilson's $4 million guarantee per year is on par with Rhodes and Sanders, and, while Sanders is earning $24 million over three years on a five-year deal, Wilson is earning $24 million over three years on a four-year contract, which is equal to Polamalu's three-year total on his four-year deal.

Here are the top ten starting safety contracts in the league:

5. Hamlin, Ken 6yrs/ $15.0m guaranteed/ $39.0m total/ $6.5m avg per year

anyone think clark wont sign in dallas for 4 years/$24 mil, making him the 8th highest paid safety in the league?jones just released roy williams last year. anyone dont think he wouldnt do the same with hamlin? safety has been one of dallas' weakest positions for years (which is why jones reached for williams in the draft, and hamlin in free agency (he even used the franchise tag on him once he had him).

the steelers wont pay clark $6 mil/season. jones will actually save half a mil/year and upgrade while doing so.

:wave: bye clark.

the rooneys wont get into a bidding war to "keep up with the joneses".

supa_fly_steeler
02-19-2010, 07:04 AM
I dont think he will be a Cowboy.

If he does go unfortunatley i will cry but that gives us a bigger shot of selecting earl thomas

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-19-2010, 10:16 AM
If Clark does go, that means the Steelers will probably sign Tyrone Carter. Mundy IMO looks like a career backup at FS. But, they will have to use a pick in the 1st or 2nd round to get a FS. Somebody like Morgan Burnett could be the pick in the 2nd if they dont like what is left at pick #18.

supa_fly_steeler
02-19-2010, 10:27 AM
If Clark does go, that means the Steelers will probably sign Tyrone Carter. Mundy IMO looks like a career backup at FS. But, they will have to use a pick in the 1st or 2nd round to get a FS. Somebody like Morgan Burnett could be the pick in the 2nd if they dont like what is left at pick #18.

I don't thinky Mundy is the Steelers long term plan at FS.

Remember he was gonna get cut until he got that pick six against Carolina "It sealed his fate" Said Tomlin.

I don't think he should be our starter.

I like Mundy i would like to be a backup.

Nadroj 20
02-19-2010, 10:32 AM

Remember he was gonna get cut until he got that pick six against Carolina "It sealed his fate" Said Tomlin.

That is what gonzo said lol he thinks mundy looks like a career backup at FS

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-19-2010, 10:34 AM

Pretty much what I meant when I said "Mundy looks like a career backup".

I dont think the Steelers will part ways with both of their veteran safeties (Clark and Carter), so if Clark leaves, they will probably make an offer to Carter because Mundy shouldnt start.

supa_fly_steeler
02-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Pretty much what I meant when I said "Mundy looks like a career backup".

I dont think the Steelers will part ways with both of their veteran safeties (Clark and Carter), so if Clark leaves, they will probably make an offer to Carter because Mundy shouldnt start.

Yea i know, i just quoted your post because i couldn't be bothered to scroll down to click fast reply lol.

:toofunny:

steelreserve
02-19-2010, 11:36 AM

Problem with that is, Carter looks like a career backup at FS too. He's been passable in Clark's absence, but I wouldn't want him as the starter any more than I'd want Mundy. On the other hand, I wouldn't want a rookie either. This really seems like another one of those situations where it would help if we could try to address it in the draft and if we can't sign Clark long-term, at least keep him around for a year to buy time ... gee, if only there was some rule that let you keep a guy on the team with a 1-year contract if you really needed him. :scratchchin:

But rather than using one of the tags on him, I'd hope we could work something out that keeps him for two or three more years. I'm a lot more hopeful with that, since he and his agent seem to be taking a somewhat reasonable approach. As opposed to Hampton, whose approach is more like, "GIMME." That's one good way to get yourself tagged.

supa_fly_steeler
02-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Clark will never go down, he makes people go down see mcgayhee and wes welker for minor details

Nadroj 20
02-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Clark will never go down, he makes people go down see mcgayhee and wes welker for minor details

He has also layed there with the people he just drilled because he almost knocked himself out......

supa_fly_steeler
02-19-2010, 12:45 PM
He has also layed there with the people he just drilled because he almost knocked himself out......

He got back up and played a hell of a game though....

We needs the Clark. :tt04:

Nadroj 20
02-19-2010, 12:47 PM
He got back up and played a hell of a game though....

We needs the Clark. :tt04:

I like Clark thats not what im saying, and im not talking about just one game thats happened more then once

Im saying with his style of play he very well could go down... you said clark will never go down

supa_fly_steeler
02-19-2010, 01:36 PM
I like Clark thats not what im saying, and im not talking about just one game thats happened more then once

Im saying with his style of play he very well could go down... you said clark will never go down

Well yea hopefully he never gets injured. but what i mean he is indestructable nobody can kill him.

He is the Terminator who terminates wide recievers and running backs who gracefully go over the middle to prepare themselves as bait.:tt03: :tt03: