PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Micco's sports chat transcript: 2.17.2010

mesaSteeler
02-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Jerry Micco's sports chat transcript: 2.17.2010
Wednesday, February 17, 2010

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10048/1036524-139.stm?cmpid=sports.xml

(Steeler/football questions only - mesa)
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Jim: Whenever there's a new CBA put in place will the NFL look more like major league baseball or will it remain a league where the small market teams can still win a championship?

Jerry Micco: I think in the long run, the NFL still will be a league where smaller markets can win titles. I think you'll see a salary cap in place that perhaps give players a bit more
flexibility, but not as much as they have in baseball.

Mr_Xiaoqi: Per Ed Bouchette's article .. .Do you think the Janikowski signing is going to throw a monkey wrench into getting Jeff Reed signed?

Jerry Micco: I don't think it'll throw a wrench into it because he'd like to stay and the Steelers would like to keep him. He won't get Janikowski's money, but he'll get a fair bump. The Steelers will not spend that kind of money on a kicker, albeit a very good one.

kibab1979: Hey Jerry, what are your thoughts on the Steelers meeting the Saints in the NFL Thursday Night opener? Saints home schedule isn't very appealing. They do play the Vikings at home, but with Favre maybe retiring that game loses some luster. The only other possible option I see is the Falcons since that would be a divisional game.

Jerry Micco: I thought they usually tried to do at least a conference matchup for that game rather than a non-conference game. Steelers-Saints would be a good draw, though.

praveen: I personally think the Steelers should cut Farrior, since there is no accelerated cap hit on the bonus, and if they really want him back, sign him for whatever his market value will be. I just can't see any team paying him much after the year he had.

Jerry Micco: It's not likely anyone would take Farrior, true, but I'm worried about their depth at LB. Keyaron Fox is a nice player, but when he has to play full time, he's a little exposed. It seemed Farrior had problems covering RBs in space, which he's not good at doing. They may have to scheme around him for this season. And that's why I say I would not mind seeing them take an LB on the first or second round. I think they need to get to work in that area.

praveen: Jankowski is a bargain for Oakland compared to the Jamarcus contract they are considering retaining. Even if Davis does not want to give up on him, I do not understand how any sane person would not ask him to take a pay cut. It's not like any other team would offer Russell anything more than the minimum salary.

Jerry Micco: A lot of people were happy they didn't have the issue of drafting Russell No. 1 a couple years back. He's not been able to adapt to the pro game and unless he has a Vince Young type of revelation, he's not worth a bigger investment.

Mr_Xiaoqi: What's your thoughts on Kevin Colbert? Will he sign an extension here soon?

Jerry Micco: I don't know if he'll sign one, but I hope he does. I think he's a very good personnel guy and knows the game. He and Tomlin seem to work together well, too.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10048/1036524-139.stm?cmpid=sports.xml#ixzz0fr26KFTH

Galax Steeler
02-18-2010, 04:44 AM
Jerry Micco's sports chat transcript: 2.17.2010
Wednesday, February 17, 2010

praveen: I personally think the Steelers should cut Farrior, since there is no accelerated cap hit on the bonus, and if they really want him back, sign him for whatever his market value will be. I just can't see any team paying him much after the year he had.

Jerry Micco: It's not likely anyone would take Farrior, true, but I'm worried about their depth at LB. Keyaron Fox is a nice player, but when he has to play full time, he's a little exposed. It seemed Farrior had problems covering RBs in space, which he's not good at doing. They may have to scheme around him for this season. And that's why I say I would not mind seeing them take an LB on the first or second round. I think they need to get to work in that area.

I don't think the Steelers will let Farrior go but I do see them getting one out of the draft this year for he replacement down the road.

solardave
02-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Maybe they ask him to take a cut so they can get Reed,Hampton and Clark signed. Take one for the team.

nikstar
02-21-2010, 04:19 PM
stay colbert!, steeler nation is COLBERT NATION

steelerdave1969
02-21-2010, 04:46 PM
I don't think the Steelers will let Farrior go but I do see them getting one out of the draft this year for he replacement down the road.

The Steelers would be crazy to cut Farrior in my opinion, unless they sign a big name replacement for him. I'm not up to date much on the possible free agents at his position they could replace him with, but I will check it out. I dont really think they would depend on drafting a replacement in this draft and expect the rookie to be the man calling the plays on defense do you?...