PDA

View Full Version : 2010 NFL Draft: Should the Steelers Trade Down from No. 18?

surcalifero
02-18-2010, 12:34 AM
Everyone knows that the Steelers draft experts are great at hitting home runs in the first round. If you take a look at how the Steelers have fared so far this millennium, you will see many Pro-Bowlers, and some potential Hall of Famers.

2000 - Plaxico Burress. Had he not shot himself in the leg, and gone to jail because of it, the Giants would have been a considerably better team. Other than his off field issues, Burress was a great player between the lines.

2001 - Casey Hampton. The Big Man in the middle ties up blockers so the line backers can make the plays. Hampton is a force, and it shows by his Pro Bowl appearances.

2002 - Kendall Simmons. Had Simmons not had the health and injury issues that have derailed his career, he could have been an anchor like Alan Faneca was.

2003 - Troy Polamalu. If I even need to explain how important he is, you need to stop reading Steelers articles. He could be the best to ever play the game at safety. The first person in the history of the Steelers that they ever traded up for.

2004 - Ben Roethlisberger. Luck was with the Steelers as Big Ben fell to them. He is the perfect fit for the Black and Gold, and holds many Steelers and NFL records already.

2005 - Heath Miller. The best tight end the Steelers have ever had. Drafting at the end of the first round, Miller fell to the Steelers, and has become one of the best in the business, going to his first Pro Bowl this year. Expect to see more out of him.

2006 - Santonio Holmes. Only the SECOND player the Steelers traded up for. He already has earned the Super Bowl MVP, and is becoming one of the top wide outs without an attitude in the NFL.

2007 - Lawrence Timmons. Pushed Larry Foote out the door with his play, and is becoming the first round stud the Steelers thought he would be when they drafted him. The first pick of the Mike Tomlin era is one of the hardest hitters in the NFL.

2008 - Rashard Mendenhall. Has earned the starters role. It took him two season, but has become the feature back, and is becoming worthy of the first round pick.

2009 - Evander "Ziggy" Hood. Showed at the end of his rookie season that he is understanding the system, and will be a force for the Steelers for years to come.

There is no question that the Steelers know how to draft in the first round. How many teams can say they have had the first round success that the Steelers have had? NONE.

This season is not like many other seasons. With the NFL CBA set to expire in less than a month, many of the college kids that were eligible to enter the NFL, are in fact doing so. Why?

1. Most people believe that if a new CBA is agreed to, there is going to be a rookie salary cap. They want to get in while they can still cash in.

2. If no CBA can be reached, players that enter the NFL next year, may be looking at a lock-out once they get drafted. That means that they will not be able to agree to a lower rookie deal as quick because of the league imposed lock-out.

Now, there is talk that the Steelers should trade up in the draft to select a Joe Hayden, or one of the top Offensive Tackle prospects. I disagree.

To trade up, would cost us at least our second round pick.

With the talent in this years draft, there will be first round talent in the second round, and second round talent in the third, and even third round talent in the fourth.

Trading up, would keep the Steelers from being able to stock up on quality players they need to further the depth on the team.

Here is my suggestion, trade DOWN.

Take our 18 pick, and trade back into the late 20's. We will still be able to pick up quality. Don't believe me? Of the people above, the only players the Steelers selected in the top half of the draft are Plaxico Burress (eight), Troy Polamalu (16), Ben Roethlisberger (11) and Lawrence Timmons (15).

On the contrary, the Steelers selected Kendall Simmons (30), Heath Miller (30), Santonio Holmes (25), Rashard Mendenhall (23) and Ziggy Hood (32) all late in the first round.

Why not trade back to get one of the players that will be available later in the first round, and pick up an additional second round pick?

To take things one step further, trade our 2011 first round pick to one of the teams in the top ten of the second round. This will give the Steelers a late first round pick, and three second round picks.

If the Steelers can pick up three, second round picks, even if they have the talent of what would normally be a late first to early second round talent, that would be a steal.

I know that the Steelers have never traded their first round pick away, but think about it. Players that are going to be in that draft are probably going to be missing out on any mini camps that they would normally attend due to the lock-out. And odds are, the Steelers first round draft pick next year is going to be in the later part of the round, hopefully 32.

That being said, we will get the same caliber player, a year earlier, for less money.

The question becomes, is someone like Joe Hayden worth the two other quality players the Steelers could draft? If we were to trade up, either or both of last years corners would become obsolete. Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett will both have the chance to compete for playing time, with Deshea Townsend probably done with the Steelers.

The plan for Lewis and Burnett was to move Lewis to the starting role opposite of Ike Taylor and Burnett would become the Nickel back.

This is a perfect opportunity for the Steelers to stock up on depth, get the quality players to learn the system, and save a bunch of money in the process.

supa_fly_steeler
02-18-2010, 07:20 AM
No Way trading down, when we pick at 18 were going to get a very good player. I would rather not risk losing players before trading down 2 spots. Once their gone their gone

Texasteel
02-18-2010, 07:40 AM
Trading from 18 to 28 would probably net us an early 3rd round pick. I am not totally apposed to that but want to wait till we see who is available at 18.

SteelMember
02-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Trading from 18 to 28 would probably net us an early 3rd round pick. I am not totally apposed to that but want to wait till we see who is available at 18.

I would also follow this strategy.

You NEVER want to tip your hand, but I'd work the phones early up until #17 to at least see what the 49ers do with their 2nd pick.

The biggest problem would be finding a likely candidate. Which, just glancing could be someone like the eagles. They have the #24 pick, but more importantly have 2 third rounders already to work with. In that scenario we could get their #24 and their #87. That would be within 5 on the trade value chart.

Not too bad for moving just 7 spots down. :noidea:

deweybeachde
02-18-2010, 08:54 AM
How about this Trade Down option. I would love to see Tampa take this deal.

Trade or 18th pick to Tampa Bay for their 35th, 67th and 102nd picks. This would be their 2nd 3rd & 4th which are at the top of each round.
On the Trade Value chart, it makes sense.
The 18th pick is worth 900 pts and Tampa's 3 picks are worth 897.

If what many believe that there is 1st round talent in the 2nd round, 2nd round talent in the 3rd, and 3rd round talent in the 4th, this should help us fill the depth that we need. 12 picks in total if we also get 3 comp picks for Nate Washington, McFadden, & Leftwich.

This is what a possible Mock would look like.....
Both O and D lines addressed .
A LB to groom behind Farrior
Skill positions of CB, S, RB, back up QB

2nd rd 35 and 52 (Weatherspoon (or Spikes) LB & McCourty CB)
3rd rd 67 and 82 (Cam Thomas NT & Saffold OT)
4th rd 102 and 117 (Myron Rolle S & Kam Chancellor S)
5th rd 159 (+ hopefully 2 comps) (Blount RB, Jeff Byers C, & CJ Wilson DE)
6th rd 198 (Skelton QB)
7th rd 221 (+ hopefully 1 comp) (Swenson K and Conner FB)

Texasteel
02-18-2010, 09:06 AM
I would also follow this strategy.

You NEVER want to tip your hand, but I'd work the phones early up until #17 to at least see what the 49ers do with their 2nd pick.

The biggest problem would be finding a likely candidate. Which, just glancing could be someone like the eagles. They have the #24 pick, but more importantly have 2 third rounders already to work with. In that scenario we could get their #24 and their #87. That would be within 5 on the trade value chart.

Not too bad for moving just 7 spots down. :noidea:

If we trade down, around 24 is where I would like to land. I think that would put us in the area for 3 or 4 players that we could really use.

mulldog24
02-18-2010, 10:11 AM
I like the ideal of trading down, especially if Earl Thomas isn't there. It would be nice to get Tampa's 2 2nd rd picks for our 18th pick.:wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-18-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm not saying it wont happen, but I dont want to.

All we did the past couple of years was complain that all the good talent would be gone by the time we drafted at the end of the 1st round. Now we have a shot at most of that talent and are advocating trading down??? Doesnt make sense to me.

I honestly think the Steelers wanted a C in Alex Mack or Eric Wood last year, but when they were gone they took Hood and in the 2nd there was a run on interior linemen, so they traded down. This is the year the Steelers can get QUALITY talent at #18 and #40....rather than #32 and #64. I say stay where we are.

SteelMember
02-18-2010, 12:59 PM

Trade or 18th pick to Tampa Bay for their 35th, 67th and 102nd picks. This would be their 2nd 3rd & 4th which are at the top of each round.

Interesting senerio, but I think Tampa has too many holes to give away that many picks in the early/middle rounds. You, yourself admitted there is value there. They should be looking to get more of those picks, not less. imo. You never know though.

All we did the past couple of years was complain that all the good talent would be gone by the time we drafted at the end of the 1st round. Now we have a shot at most of that talent and are advocating trading down??? Doesnt make sense to me.

I honestly think the Steelers wanted a C in Alex Mack or Eric Wood last year, but when they were gone they took Hood and in the 2nd there was a run on interior linemen, so they traded down. This is the year the Steelers can get QUALITY talent at #18 and #40....rather than #32 and #64. I say stay where we are.

I can understand that.

I was just looking to see what the possibility might be to get that extra 3rd rounder without losing too much going from 18 to 24.

7willBheaven
02-18-2010, 01:18 PM
As I've (and many of us) have said before....you have to wait and see who is available vs. what you want/need...and also who a trading partner could be. If trading back i wouldnt want to go but a few spots. As someone also pointed out...we've been picking in the late 1st for a while...and not often do we get to pick this high....so with that said i'd be happy where we are also.

Texasteel
02-18-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm not saying it wont happen, but I dint want to.

I can't say that I disagree. I think the conversation is probably pointless because I am sure that at lest of the guys they want will be there at 18, and I believe that it will be one of the 3 positions I want most.

Having said that, I am still having that nagging feeling about Weatherspoon. It's like indigestion, it won't go away.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-18-2010, 02:35 PM

Based on that thought. If the Steelers go with a CB or Safety in the first...I wonder if they would be interested in Pouncey in the 2nd round?

I believe that we will go OT in the first unless there is a run on them before we pick. If there is, I think we would take Earl Thomas with the first pick and play him as a CB, with the idea of using him as a Safety backup. Technically solidifying two positions with one pick.

So under that scenerio..and with us tacking Thomas...Would we consider Pouncy in the 2nd round?:huh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Based on that thought. If the Steelers go with a CB or Safety in the first...I wonder if they would be interested in Pouncey in the 2nd round?

I believe that we will go OT in the first unless there is a run on them before we pick. If there is, I think we would take Earl Thomas with the first pick and play him as a CB, with the idea of using him as a Safety backup. Technically solidifying two positions with one pick.

So under that scenerio..and with us tacking Thomas...Would we consider Pouncy in the 2nd round?:huh:

Personally, I dont buy into the thought that the Steelers will go interior line. They wanted to get 1, to compete at RG and eventually slide to center, but it didnt happen. So they took Urbik and despite the posters dumping on him......he, or Foster will be the RG of the future.

I can see the Steelers going with OT depth, even if its somebody like Kyle Calloway or Ciron Black for RT. I fully believe that the FO thinks they are OK at Guard with Kemo, Essex, Foster, Urbik...........while Hartwig and Legursky are fine at center.

So if we take Earl Thomas or a CB in the 1st....I can see a NT(Troup or Thomas), or OT (Calloway, Fox, ) in the 2nd round and then it becomes anybodys guess as to ILB, OLB, RB, etc in the 3rd.

Northside Jonny
02-18-2010, 08:12 PM
I can't say that I disagree. I think the conversation is probably pointless because I am sure that at lest of the guys they want will be there at 18, and I believe that it will be one of the 3 positions I want most.

Having said that, I am still having that nagging feeling about Weatherspoon. It's like indigestion, it won't go away.

Will you please explain what your problem is with weatherspoon. I love his swagger and ability I think he will make a fine leader for a D in the future.

Aussie_steeler
02-19-2010, 01:45 AM
Will you please explain what your problem is with weatherspoon. I love his swagger and ability I think he will make a fine leader for a D in the future.

I think Texasteel's feeling is that he is going to be the pick that the steelers make in round 1. Weatherspoon has a lot of real good qualities and the steelers have shown interest in him by having prelim talks with him at the post season workouts / games

Galax Steeler
02-19-2010, 05:22 AM

I have to agree. I hope we stay where we are at the talent level is high and we need to nab a player that can hopefully start from day one. I don't want to take a chance and trade down and loose a very good player.

Steeldude
02-19-2010, 10:33 AM
hampton, BR, polamalu and miller have lived up to there 1st round status. IMO, i expected more from holmes. that's not to say he has done poorly, but i just expected more from a 1st WR. i know everyone thinks his overrated catch in the SB means he is a great, but i want to see some consistency. i personally wanted mangold over holmes.

out of that list there are only 4 players that i felt didn't need to be chosen and those were simmons, burress, holmes and mendenhall. you know what they say about opinions :smile:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-19-2010, 11:43 AM
hampton, BR, polamalu and miller have lived up to there 1st round status. IMO, i expected more from holmes. that's not to say he has done poorly, but i just expected more from a 1st WR. i know everyone thinks his overrated catch in the SB means he is a great, but i want to see some consistency. i personally wanted mangold over holmes.

out of that list there are only 4 players that i felt didn't need to be chosen and those were simmons, burress, holmes and mendenhall. you know what they say about opinions :smile:

Somewhat true, but the Steelers painted themselves into a corner when Randle El left and they had to get Holmes or else wait and take Sinorice Moss or Chad Jackson in that draft. :doh:

As for the players you didnt think needed to be picked. I remember the debate of Burress vs. Pennington (I like the pick). Simmons was a top rated guard that played well until I think his diabetes caught up. Mendenhall was just the best athlete available and not a need, but I can see how you could have wanted some other position.

BTW, who would you have picked instead of Mendenhall in that draft year?? At that point I was hoping Philip Merling or Mike Jenkins.........but there were a lot pimping Kenny Philips, Chilo Rachal, James Hardy or Kentwan Balmer then.

tony hipchest
02-19-2010, 11:57 AM
BTW, who would you have picked instead of Mendenhall in that draft year?? At that point I was hoping Philip Merling or Mike Jenkins.........but there were a lot pimping Kenny Philips, Chilo Rachal, James Hardy or Kentwan Balmer then.

SWEEEED!!! :tt02:

between, plex and pennington i was hoping for urlacher, but then again i went to UNM and am a total NM homer (terence mathis).

i'd like to think if we drafted 18th last year, we would have michael oher. i am more intrigued with th 18th pick this year, than somebody at the bottom of the round plus the next, bruce davis, anthony smith, tony hills, orien harris, mcbean, etc... or current 3rd round "busts" lewis and urbick we currently have.

(oh and fwiw, i was not unhappy when the steelers passed on lobo qb, stoney case).

supa_fly_steeler
02-19-2010, 12:37 PM
If Mendenhall was not there i would of picked Felix Jones, Chirs Johnson or Mike Jenkins.

Preferrably Chris Johnson if he shut his mouth.

jollyrob68
02-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Weatherspoon can play both ILB & OLB and as Ed Bouchette or Gery Dulac said The Steelers have no quality backup for Woodley & Harrison. They have a backup for Timmons & Farrior in K. Fox.
Thats not to say if Rolando McClain was available or within reach at 10 or 11 they wouldnt go for it.
As for the 18th pick keep it and get a quality player. top 3 tackle( Davis Okung Bulaga) #1 guard Iupati or Center Pouncey, Top LB Graham,Weatherspoon or Spikes , NT Dan Williams or DE JAred Odrick.

Remember that the front 7 especially the LB's are the stars of The 34 and When Aaron Smith Goes down so does our playoff hopes. Last year didnt make it and 07 went one and done without him.

St33lersguy
02-19-2010, 03:46 PM
NO!!!!!!!!! With all the talent that year we still have the chance to get a great player. This is one of our highest draft picks this decade, why on earth waste it?

St33lersguy
02-19-2010, 03:47 PM

If what many believe that there is 1st round talent in the 2nd round, 2nd round talent in the 3rd, and 3rd round talent in the 4th, this should help us fill the depth that we need. 12 picks in total if we also get 3 comp picks for Nate Washington, McFadden, & Leftwich.

This is what a possible Mock would look like.....
Both O and D lines addressed .
A LB to groom behind Farrior
Skill positions of CB, S, RB, back up QB

2nd rd 35 and 52 (Weatherspoon (or Spikes) LB & McCourty CB)
3rd rd 67 and 82 (Cam Thomas NT & Saffold OT)
4th rd 102 and 117 (Myron Rolle S & Kam Chancellor S)
5th rd 159 (+ hopefully 2 comps) (Blount RB, Jeff Byers C, & CJ Wilson DE)
6th rd 198 (Skelton QB)
7th rd 221 (+ hopefully 1 comp) (Swenson K and Conner FB)

And trade OUT of the 1st round??

Texasteel
02-19-2010, 05:46 PM

Actually I have absolutely no problem with Weatherspoon. In fact I believe I was the first person to bring his name up months ago. Where as I don't thing that he would be the best choice for the Steelers in the 1st round, I do believe that he would make and excellent ILB, which you may have noted I have stated is one of our needs. I have just had this gut feeling for weeks now that when the Steelers send their card to the front that is will have his name on it, much the same feeling I had when we drafted Timmons.

I still maintain that our best bets for the 1st round would be Earl Thomas, then one of the OTs, I do believe one of them will be there, then Dan Williams. BUT if the pick turns out to be Weatherspoon you will not see a tear in my eye. I believe he is the 2nd best ILB in the draft and have said so before.

If on draft day you hear that the Steelers have traded their pick and dropped down 6 or 7 spots I would bet that it will be for Weatherspoon. He looks to be everything they love in a LB.

Aussie_steeler
02-19-2010, 05:54 PM
If on draft day you hear that the Steelers have traded their pick and dropped down 6 or 7 spots I would bet that it will be for Weatherspoon. He looks to be everything they love in a LB.

Dont forget the fact TEX that he would also walk into a backup spot at OLB.

Weatherspoon can and will handle both ILB and OLB duties if required.

If there is a trade down Weatherspoon will be the pick made.

supa_fly_steeler
02-19-2010, 05:59 PM
I still maintain that our best bets for the 1st round would be Earl Thomas

wnna hug?

Sean Weatherspoon is gonna be a great linebacker, if he has a good 40 time i could see the Giants seriously considering him.

:drink:

Texasteel
02-19-2010, 06:00 PM
Dont forget the fact TEX that he would also walk into a backup spot at OLB.

Weatherspoon can and will handle both ILB and OLB duties if required.

If there is a trade down Weatherspoon will be the pick made.

You are completely right Aussie. The kid is a versatile well rounded player.

Steely McSmash
02-20-2010, 02:44 AM
I really wouldn't want Weatherspoon outside. The guy weighs 240 lb soaking wet. He's a perfect 4-3 OLB and almost borderline too small to play 3-4 ILB.

My opinion is that trade down is a good option considering circumstance. The question of where do we get a trading partner I think might be answered by looking at the end of the round. Notice that it's packed with 3-4 teams. Maybe one of those guys will want to trade up for a DE or OLB prospect. Odrick or Kindle for example.

I think a trade down 8 spots gets a late second rounder. a trade down 4 gets a 3rd. Either could be huge for getting quality prospects at all 4 of NT, ILB, S, CB in the first 3 rounds.

This would be my draft board in the first

1. Rolondo MClain
2. Eric Berry
3 Joe Haden
4. Okung
5. Bulaga
6. Dan Williams
7. Earl Thomas
8. Trade Down
9. Anthony Davis
10. Brandon Graham
11. Iupati
12. Sergio Kindle

Steeldude
02-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Somewhat true, but the Steelers painted themselves into a corner when Randle El left and they had to get Holmes or else wait and take Sinorice Moss or Chad Jackson in that draft. :doh:

As for the players you didnt think needed to be picked. I remember the debate of Burress vs. Pennington (I like the pick). Simmons was a top rated guard that played well until I think his diabetes caught up. Mendenhall was just the best athlete available and not a need, but I can see how you could have wanted some other position.

i wanted the steelers to trade down. yes, merling, balmer, cason. i didn't see the need for a RB in the first. i actually preferred rice over mendenhall. my view on mendenhall was that he was a product of illinois' spread option offense.

IMO, the 2008 draft was a poor one overall.

i wanted urlacher over burress :thumbsup:

Steeldude
02-20-2010, 08:26 AM
I really wouldn't want Weatherspoon outside. The guy weighs 240 lb soaking wet. He's a perfect 4-3 OLB and almost borderline too small to play 3-4 ILB.

farrior played at 218lbs.

IMO, 240 is big enough to play ILB or OLB in the steelers' defense. lloyd was small for an OLB during his time. i think size is more important on the D-line and O-line. this is not say i want a 218 LB. size is important in football, but a lot depends on the position and/or the team's scheme.

some people sayearl thomas is too small to play FS in the NFL. 195 seems to be big enough to me.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-20-2010, 12:48 PM
i wanted the steelers to trade down. yes, merling, balmer, cason. i didn't see the need for a RB in the first. i actually preferred rice over mendenhall. my view on mendenhall was that he was a product of illinois' spread option offense.

IMO, the 2008 draft was a poor one overall.

i wanted urlacher over burress :thumbsup:

Yeah, but I guess in 2000 we thought LB was OK and again kind of got stuck drafting for need because of the Troy Edwards reach(and fail). I was screaming Jon Tait that year.

I think Mendenhall was a solid pick. I also thought Sweed was undervalued, but not necessary at the 2nd round. I kind of wanted somebody like Zuttah in the 2nd, but then wanted Anthony Collins or Carl Nicks.

I agree with you that we kind of botched 2000, especially with the Davis, Hills, Sweed picks. I think this is the year that Hills and Sweed either perform or get the Willie Reid/ Kris Farris treatment.