PDA

View Full Version : Are Steelers recession proof..........

nicoleandfrankie
02-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Even with the popularty of the STeelers, will the economy and missing the playoffs force fans to give up their Season seats and could the steelers possibly face tv blackouts in the near future. I dont think any business is totally recession proof and missing the playoffs I dont think will help either. Your thoughts......

Gnutella
02-17-2010, 11:47 PM
The good news is, Pittsburgh is surviving this recession better than most other large cities, so I don't think their bottom line will be impacted as severely.

X-Terminator
02-18-2010, 07:27 AM
The waiting list is 15 years long. So even if some people do give up their season tickets, there will be someone right there to swoop in and pick them up.

I don't think anyone has anything to worry about.

supa_fly_steeler
02-18-2010, 07:35 AM
The waiting list is 15 years long. So even if some people do give up their season tickets, there will be someone right there to swoop in and pick them up.

I don't think anyone has anything to worry about.

I will have a good time with The G.I. Joe Hot Girl baddie before the Steelers have a blackout.

WeegiesWarriors
02-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Ha... I've been on the wait list since 1998. I'd gladly take somebody's season tickets. If it takes a recession to make it happen so be it. I'm heartless.

SteelerEmpire
02-18-2010, 09:28 AM
I Seriously doubt it... I think the worse thing to happen to the Pittsburgh area is when the Steel industry collapsed... The Steelers home games sold out through it all...

fansince'76
02-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Even with the popularty of the STeelers, will the economy and missing the playoffs force fans to give up their Season seats and could the steelers possibly face tv blackouts in the near future. I dont think any business is totally recession proof and missing the playoffs I dont think will help either. Your thoughts......

Unless the TV money dries up, I doubt that the financial stability of the team will be seriously affected. Stadium revenues aren't nearly as important to the league as what the league rakes in, and in turn, individual teams rake in as far as TV revenue is concerned, and Steelers fans are everywhere.

steelerdude15
02-18-2010, 10:41 AM
The waiting list is 15 years long.
I thought it was six years... Anyways, they've sold out every home game since 1972, I doubt they'll lose anything.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-18-2010, 11:53 AM
They sold out through the collapse of the Steel industry, which to Pittsburgh was worse than the recession we are in.

The Steelers will NEVER be blacked out as long as the Rooneys own the team.

Merchant
02-18-2010, 12:00 PM
I've read the waiting list is 50 years long, with 60,000 people on the list :S

steelerchad
02-18-2010, 12:06 PM
I thought it was six years... Anyways, they've sold out every home game since 1972, I doubt they'll lose anything.

It's neither a 6 year wait or a 15 year wait. It's a lifetime wait. There were 38,000 names before mine when I got on the list in 2001. ( The year Heinz Field was built)
Today, there is still approximately 38,000 names on the list in front of me. This is because when Heinz was built they instituted something called a PSL. PSL's can be sold or passed to a family member or friend instead of being turned in to the next person on the waiting list. When you can sell the PSL you bought for $250 per seat, for $5,000 per seat why would someone turn it back in for nothing.

I gave up on the waiting list this past fall and bought my PSL's on the secondary market, and no, I'll never turn them in to the waiting list either. They will either go to my kids, or be sold for market value if I ever need the money.

steeltheone
02-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Ive been on since 1997...

Cinnjerm
02-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Is this a serious question. I mean, the city itself hasn't even been effected anywhere near as bad as others since the financial meltdown was mostly due to the housing sector and that surge in the housing market never really took off like it did elsewhere. It helps Hollywood has been pumping money into a slue of recent projects shot there as well. I think the city raked in like a couple hundred million just last year alone. Put another way, Pittsburgh is a city on it's way up despite what anyone else might have to say on the matter, and (as always) the same can be said for the Steelers.:tt02: God, September couldn't get here any sooner.

steelerchad
02-18-2010, 09:31 PM

Like I said the waiting list is a lifetime wait. You can get on when you're born and at the current pace of turnover you will be in the ground before your name ever gets to the top.

If there's 60K on the list and it's only a 50 year wait, then 1200 seats would get turned in every year. Trust me, this doesn't happen. I doubt they get 12 seats per year, let alone 1200. Back in the 3 Rivers days, maybe a couple of hundred got turned in each year. With PSL's, nothing gets turned in.

Only way anyone on the list is getting them is if they add a bunch of seats or the Steelers go on a 15 year losing string. Neither is likely in my opinion.

JackHammer
02-19-2010, 12:52 AM

I wish it was six. I've been on it since 2000.

steelerdude15
02-19-2010, 01:03 AM
Is this a serious question. I mean, the city itself hasn't even been effected anywhere near as bad as others since the financial meltdown was mostly due to the housing sector and that surge in the housing market never really took off like it did elsewhere. It helps Hollywood has been pumping money into a slue of recent projects shot there as well. I think the city raked in like a couple hundred million just last year alone. Put another way, Pittsburgh is a city on it's way up despite what anyone else might have to say on the matter, and (as always) the same can be said for the Steelers. God, September couldn't get here any sooner.
Past two of out three years, the Burgh has been voted the most livable city...

EmDiggy
02-19-2010, 01:06 PM
The season ticket waiting list would make you think so! LOL

Gnutella
02-21-2010, 08:17 PM
After last season, those who joined the waiting list in April 1995 got season tickets.

Bluedust
02-21-2010, 11:14 PM
It's neither a 6 year wait or a 15 year wait. It's a lifetime wait. There were 38,000 names before mine when I got on the list in 2001. ( The year Heinz Field was built)
Today, there is still approximately 38,000 names on the list in front of me. This is because when Heinz was built they instituted something called a PSL. PSL's can be sold or passed to a family member or friend instead of being turned in to the next person on the waiting list. When you can sell the PSL you bought for $250 per seat, for $5,000 per seat why would someone turn it back in for nothing.

I gave up on the waiting list this past fall and bought my PSL's on the secondary market, and no, I'll never turn them in to the waiting list either. They will either go to my kids, or be sold for market value if I ever need the money.

Ahh the beautiful **** You, Got Mine American, *salute* fellow patriot.

I've been bulking up for the coming civil war, I hope you have too, I'll watch your back if you watch mine, you have no idea the kind of rocket power I've been hoarding.

steelpride12
02-21-2010, 11:54 PM

It all depends every season. My family has been on the list since 94'

HughC
02-23-2010, 05:44 PM
An unfortunate side affect of selling PSL's is that being on the waiting list for season tickets is nearly meaningless. In hindsight perhaps the contract for the PSL should have stated they could first be given to an immediate family member, and next offered to somebody on the waiting list for original purchase price, or that price plus x% per year (perhaps tied to the prime rate.) Then if nobody from the waiting list agreed to purchase the PSL, they could be sold on the open market at any price. While you can't force those conditions on current PSL holders, perhaps that would be something that should be incorporated into the contract going forward.

steelerchad
02-24-2010, 02:27 PM
An unfortunate side affect of selling PSL's is that being on the waiting list for season tickets is nearly meaningless. In hindsight perhaps the contract for the PSL should have stated they could first be given to an immediate family member, and next offered to somebody on the waiting list for original purchase price, or that price plus x% per year (perhaps tied to the prime rate.) Then if nobody from the waiting list agreed to purchase the PSL, they could be sold on the open market at any price. While you can't force those conditions on current PSL holders, perhaps that would be something that should be incorporated into the contract going forward.

I did forget one thing. The upper endzone seats are non PSL seats. Meaning, fans own the rights to the seats but never own the actual PSL. With no PSL to sell, they must either continue buying the season tickets or turn it in to the waiting. Any slight movement on the waiting list would come from those seats.