PDA

View Full Version : Grading the NFL qb's.

zulater
02-18-2010, 12:47 PM
These are my grades, shooting mostly from the hip, going division by division. I'm not grading the season they just had, I'm evaluating where I think they are going into next season.

NFC East

Donavan McNabb. B. Very good numbers but generally sucks in the 4th quarter of close games against better competition.

Tony Romo B. Very good regular season numbers, but doesn't have a good enough post season resume to warrant better than this.

Eli Manning. B Solid but rarely spectacular.

Jason Cambell. C- Not terrible, but not the sort of player you want to build a franchise around either.

AFC East.
Tom Brady A+ I can't stand the guy, but he's a first ballot HOF'er and he's in his prime, so what choice do i have?

Mark Sanchez. C+ I really liked how he came around in the playoffs. Could easily jump up to a B next year.

Chad Henne C another up and comer imo. I think he'll be solid for years to come.

Trent Edwards D. Might have a future as a back-up, but if he's your starter you're in trouble.

Ryan Fitzpatrick. D. Same as above.

supa_fly_steeler
02-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Brady isn't in his prime he's 31. That dynasty is just about finished.

Eli Manning is not solid. He as a QB rating of 79.2. That's like Saying Vick is sold at 75.9

Other picks are good. I do think Jason Campbell can be good but he's always getting fooled around by the owner and the any co-ordinators

zulater
02-18-2010, 01:01 PM
NFC South

Drew Brees A+ Arguably the current numero uno.

Matt Ryan. B- A little bit of a let down from his rookie season, but I expect him to rebound to up near the top tier this season.

Josh Freeman. D+ A lot of improvement needed, but the talent seems to be there. I could easily see him going up a full grade by seasons end.

Jake Delhomme. D+ At his best he's adequete, at his worst he destroys you. The Panthers clearly need a new starting qb.

AFC South

Peyton Manning A+ still the best imo

Matt Shaub B+. Coming off a career year, but can he sustain it?

David Garrard. C+ With good surrounding talent might be able to advance a team all the way.

Vince Young. C . Rallied nicely to save his career last year. But I'm still not sold that you can build a perrenial contender around him.

zulater
02-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Brady isn't in his prime he's 31. That dynasty is just about finished.

He's still elite.

Eli Manning is not solid. He as a QB rating of 79.2. That's like Saying Vick is sold at 75.9

He won a SB two years back and he had his team as the number one seed in the playoffs the following year. It's not always about numbers, sometimes it's about the results. Eli is a winner imo.

Other picks are good. I do think Jason Campbell can be good but he's always getting fooled around by the owner and the any co-ordinators

Can't argue that. and thanks for the input. :drink:

zulater
02-18-2010, 01:14 PM
NFC North.

Brett Favre. A-. Assuming he's coming back, hard to argue with the season he just had.

Aaron Rogers. A- Just a step below the best in the game.

Jay Cutler D+ A year ago this would have been a B-. I could see cutler going either way.

Matt Stafford. D+ It's hard to evaluate a young qb on such a crappy team.

AFC North.

Ben Roethlisberger. A+ Homer grade? Perhaps, but you tell me who could play behind that o-line and do nearly as well?

Joe Flacco C+ An enigma wrapped in a riddle for the time being. lol Another player who could go either way. I like much of what I see, but until the consistency arrives this is the best i can give him

Carson Palmer. C+ Most overrated qb in the game. Vince Young has more meaningfull victories under his belt than Carson.

Derrick Anderson. D- The Browns blew it two years ago when they could have traded this chump for decent return.

Brady Quinn D-. Pop Warner caliber arm, and that's his best attribute. lol

zulater
02-18-2010, 01:31 PM
NFC West

Alex Smith C. Actually put up respectfull numbers once he he got the job back. Could go either way, I wouldn't feel particualry secure with him as my qb, but i wouldn't go in without hope either.

Matt Hasselback C- Washed up and injury prone.

Matt Leinart D. Great weapons around him, they've tried every way they can in the past to make it work. It's hard to think it will be any different this time.

Marc Bulger. Perhaps he could revive his career on the right team? ( you listening Cardinals?) But off his last few years it seems as if retirement could be beckoning.

AFC West

Phillip Rivers A+ If you can look that good with an idiot like Norv as your HC you must be great.

Kyle Orton C-. Does nothing to excite you, but he can hold down the fort respectfully enough on the right team.

Matt Cassel C- Cassell defines mediocre.

Jamarcus Russell. F The laughingstock of the league. Nuff said.

supa_fly_steeler
02-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Can't argue that. and thanks for the input. :drink:

Yea Eli's a winner but he's quite strange. He has a better passer rating away from home

I couldn't agree more that Carson Palmer is the most overrated Quarterback in the league.

When u had weapons like Housh, Johnson and Henry and that criminal offensive line you should throw for alot of touchdowns.

zulater
02-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Now here's 1-15 in order.

1.Peyton Manning. Reigning MVP, SB failure or not, the guy is on the Mount Rushmore of qb's

2. Drew Brees. Precision passer deluxe.

3. Ben Roethlisberger. That's right, I didn't stutter. Ben's got two SB's since Tom Brady won his last one, and will match him on the 3rd soon enough.

4. Tom Brady. It's amazing someone who hates contact so much can be that great in such a violent game.

5. Phillip Rivers. If they ever fire Norv, Rivers might start winning SB's.

6. Bret Favre. So close, but oh so far in his quest for Lombardi number 2.

7. Aaron Rogers. The NFC North figures to be a helluva race if Brett returns.

8. Matt Shaub. The Texans finally will make the playoffs!

9. Donavan McNabb. Maybe a change of scenery will help Donavan get over the top?

10. Tony Romo. One of these years?

11. Eli Manning. Mediocre numbers, but often gets results.

12. Matt Ryan. Needs to take that next step.

13. Joe Flacco. Is he the real deal or a pretender? We might find out this year?

14. Mark Sanchez. The playoffs sold me on this kid.

15. Carson Palmer. A good one, but he's not great.

supa_fly_steeler
02-18-2010, 02:12 PM
I would of put Favre above Roethlisberger... Both are hall of famers but favre got the worse quarterback rating when ben wins his third or in two years i will place him above favre.

carson sucks.

steeltheone
02-18-2010, 03:29 PM

1.Peyton Manning. Reigning MVP, SB failure or not, the guy is on the Mount Rushmore of qb's

3. Ben Roethlisberger. That's right, I didn't stutter. Ben's got two SB's since Tom Brady won his last one, and will match him on the 3rd soon enough.

4. Tom Brady. It's amazing someone who hates contact so much can be that great in such a violent game.

9. Donavan McNabb. Maybe a change of scenery will help Donavan get over the top?

13. Joe Flacco. Is he the real deal or a pretender? We might find out this year?

Can't rank Romo above eli, till he wins something.

HometownGal
02-18-2010, 03:40 PM

I pretty much agree with your rankins, Zu, but I'd have to put Favre, Rogers and McNabb all above Boo Boo Rivers. I think they are all much more talented QB's overall than Crybaby Phil. I put Romo in the same boat as Rivers - highly overrated. If Joe Flacco had better targets, I think this guy would be simply amazing.

silver & black
02-18-2010, 03:55 PM
JaMarcus Russell

F-

HometownGal
02-18-2010, 04:04 PM
JaMarcus Russell

F-

Bwa ha ha ha! :rofl::rofl:

supa_fly_steeler
02-18-2010, 04:07 PM
JaMarcus Russell

F-

I would say G-

silver & black
02-18-2010, 04:10 PM
I would say G-

:thumbsup:

supa_fly_steeler
02-18-2010, 04:11 PM
:thumbsup:

How about ingradeabe so it's like left blank. :hatsoff:

Indo
02-18-2010, 04:18 PM
I think I would give Sanchez a B-
and, hate to admit it, but Flacco, too

and I agree with HTG about Rivers

Vincent
02-18-2010, 04:36 PM
JaMarcus Russell

F-

Wonder how many JaMarcus McFarlanes they sold. And they did 2 of them. What were they thinking?

steelreserve
02-18-2010, 04:52 PM
At the local Babies R Us, they actually sell JaMarcus Russell baby onesies and T-shirts. About halfway through the season, they were in the discount aisle. A couple weeks later, they were in the clearance 70% off rack. Most of them were still there last I went up there about a week ago.

Seriously, if my choices were starting Russell at QB or taking a meteor to the head, I'd choose the meteor.

silver & black
02-18-2010, 08:26 PM
How about ingradeabe so it's like left blank. :hatsoff:

You mean kind of like his mind? :noidea:

silver & black
02-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Wonder how many JaMarcus McFarlanes they sold. And they did 2 of them. What were they thinking?

The same thing Al Davis thinks; "JaMahcus is a great playah... get ovah it!" :banging:

supa_fly_steeler
02-18-2010, 08:37 PM
You mean kind of like his mind? :noidea:

Did he leave school early for the NFL? He looks like a dumbass lmao

silver & black
02-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Did he leave school early for the NFL? He looks like a dumbass lmao

He sounds like one too.

supa_fly_steeler
02-18-2010, 09:04 PM
He sounds like one too.

http://www.bay-area-sports-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/jamarcus-russell.jpg

he looks like he skived off english and snorted cocaine at the back of the school.

HometownGal
02-18-2010, 09:13 PM
Word of the day......irony.

http://www.timewarptoys.com/mortimer.jpg

lionslicer
02-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Can't rank Romo above eli, till he wins something.

He's pretty much talking about quarterback performances recently, Eli won the superbowl 2 years ago, and really hasn't had a great year since...

Galax Steeler
02-19-2010, 04:37 AM

That is funny:rofl:

CantStop85
02-19-2010, 09:00 AM

:chuckle:

XxKnightxX
02-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Yea Eli's a winner but he's quite strange. He has a better passer rating away from home
I couldn't agree more that Carson Palmer is the most overrated Quarterback in the league.

When u had weapons like Housh, Johnson and Henry and that criminal offensive line you should throw for alot of touchdowns.

Thats because of the "Swirling Winds" of the meadowlands, and he still hasnt adjusted to that. As odd as it sounds the winds play a huge factor inside that stadium.

I worked there doing secuirty and one night after a preseason game we decided to fool around and test the theory out. And sometimes the winds are so unpredictable, that wherever u see the winds blow, you basically have to kick or throw Opposite or away from the side where your intended to. Yeah odd but Jeff Feagles is one of the few thats mastered the winds down there.

zulater
02-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Thats because of the "Swirling Winds" of the meadowlands, and he still hasnt adjusted to that. As odd as it sounds the winds play a huge factor inside that stadium.

I worked there doing secuirty and one night after a preseason game we decided to fool around and test the theory out. And sometimes the winds are so unpredictable, that wherever u see the winds blow, you basically have to kick or throw Opposite or away from the side where your intended to. Yeah odd but Jeff Feagles is one of the few thats mastered the winds down there.

If he had Bruce Arians as his OC he wouldn't have that problem as BA would have him throwing so much more that he'd have those cross winds mastered by now.

:chuckle::wink02:

supa_fly_steeler
02-19-2010, 07:16 PM
If he had Bruce Arians as his OC he wouldn't have that problem as BA would have him throwing so much more that he'd have those cross winds mastered by now.

:chuckle::wink02:

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Wow never really knew about this swirling winds

Gnutella
02-20-2010, 03:31 AM
Top 12 NFL QBs

1. Drew Brees - His career in New Orleans reads like a sports fairy tale.

2. Tom Brady - He can stat-pile with the best, and he's a proven commodity in big games.

3. Peyton Manning - He's arguably the smartest QB in NFL history, but he's a bit too robotic at times.

4. Ben Roethlisberger - His improvisational skills and performance under pressure are better than anybody.

5. Brett Favre - He's still an asset even in old age, but he still has reckless tendencies in critical moments.

6. Philip Rivers - He's the most polished passer in the league aside from Peyton Manning, but he's disappointed in big games.

7. Aaron Rodgers - He's like a younger, less experienced Roethlisberger.

8. Donovan McNabb - He's been a very steady performer, but he's helpless when the Eagles don't have the lead.

9. Carson Palmer - He has tremendous physical skills, but I question whether or not he has "it."

10. Tony Romo - He has improved since becoming the starter in Dallas, but he still needs to prove himself in big games.

11. Eli Manning - The more I look at his body of work, the more convinced I am that his 2007 post-season performance was a fluke.

12. Matt Schaub - His numbers look pretty, but in spite of that, he hasn't been a very "memorable" QB.

X-Terminator
02-20-2010, 10:55 AM

Well they're moving into the new Giants Mega-Stadium next year that's right next door to ...wonder if it'll have the same effect? Personally, I think Eli just sucks and Plex made him look better than he really is.