PDA

View Full Version : More rule changes?

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
02-19-2010, 10:04 PM
NFL considers rules changes to combat concussions
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/19/AR2010021902973.html?referrer=emailarticle

Leaders of the NFL and the players' union are studying the possibilities of curtailing teams' offseason practices and placing restrictions on the amount of hitting allowed between players during training camp and the regular season, officials said.

The measures would be aimed at curbing the rate and severity of concussions suffered by players and could be in place by next season. Thom Mayer, the medical director of the NFL Players Association, said he could foresee a reduction by 20 to 25 percent in the number of practices with collisions between players being permitted.

"Anything less, and you might not make enough of a difference," Mayer said.

The measures are to be discussed by members of the NFL competition committee and union representatives at the NFL scouting combine next week in Indianapolis.

"The doctors will have input. The players will have input," said Atlanta Falcons President Rich McKay, co-chairman of the competition committee.

Other possible rules changes include a ban on helmet-to-helmet hits on all ball carriers, in addition to the existing bans on such hits on quarterbacks and receivers; roster exemptions for players recovering from concussions; and the elimination of the three-point stance used by players at the line of scrimmage.

A decision on eliminating the three-point stance, as mentioned by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell during a televised interview on CBS on Super Bowl Sunday, is unlikely this offseason, league and union officials said.
ad_icon

It is uncertain how quickly the league would act on other possible rules modifications.

"A lot of these issues will be part of our long-range discussions," McKay said in a telephone interview. "In the short term, I think our focus will be to extend the protections we have for defenseless players, and emphasize the rules we have. In the bigger picture, some of those discussions take longer."

Mayer said he thinks significant rule changes could be made in time for next season. "I think all of them, except for the three-point stance, could be implemented right away," Mayer said.

The league is studying the practice-related issues through discussions with the union and via the work of the NFL's medical committees and a coaches' committee headed by former coach and broadcaster John Madden.

One official said it's possible but not certain that practice-related measures will be enacted by Goodell himself this offseason. Goodell already modified concussion-related procedures during the just-completed NFL season, enacting measures that included barring a player who demonstrates any concussion-related symptoms from re-entering a game or practice and requiring a player who suffers a concussion to be cleared by an independent neurologist before practicing or playing in a game again.

The measures were enacted after a congressional hearing in late October about the rate and severity of concussions being suffered by players and the possible link between concussions and memory-related disease later in life.

The proposed restriction on hitting in some practices during training camp and the season possibly could lead to players not wearing helmets in some non-contact practices.

"It's not just the number of workouts. It's the number of full-contact workouts," Mayer said. "If you reduce the frequency of the contact, you'll have a much better chance of reducing the frequency and severity of concussions. It's a start. It's a good start."

One concern that has been raised about no-helmet practices, however, is the possibility that they could produce an increase in other injuries, including facial lacerations and injuries to players' eyes, teeth and jaws, officials said.

"There is no singular magic bullet that's going to make the game safer," said George Atallah, the union's assistant executive director of external affairs. "There needs to be better rules, better equipment, better training, better coaching, better independent medical treatment. All of that needs to be taken together."

lionslicer
02-19-2010, 10:26 PM
I understand wanting saftey of players, but this is rediculous, not allowed players to hit each other during practice... C'mon... This gives Coaches less to work with when evaluating players.

If they remove the 3 point stance, I don't think I can ever watch football again... I can't imagine what the game would be like without it, flag football?

Before you know it, teams wont be allowed to blitz more than 5 players. Hitting a player with the ball from behind will be illegal. Tackling below the waste will be illegal. Ball carriors wont be allowed to lower their head to break a tackle. Tackling shoulder first will be illegal... etc...

devilsdancefloor
02-19-2010, 11:18 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/b6t5ja.jpg

Meet the new DL coach

fansince'76
02-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Wreck that league! Wreck that league! Wreck that league! :cheer:

silver & black
02-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Wreck that league! Wreck that league! Wreck that league! :cheer:

In a few more years, I won't even care how bad the Raiders are... I won't care about the NFL at all.

Nadroj 20
02-21-2010, 10:56 AM
This truly is stupid, its not football if there isnt CONTACT.....ugh roger what are you doing to this league?

X-Terminator
02-21-2010, 11:05 AM
And the owners just gave Goodell a 5-year extension??? Were they all drunk or something? Maybe when ratings start tanking and hard-core fans stop going to games, they'll wake up from their comas and fire this jackass before he completely ruins the league.

supa_fly_steeler
02-21-2010, 11:07 AM
roger goddell needs to be shot

NEPAsteeler
02-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Maintaining safety is one thing, but COME ON :doh:

Where's the game of football we all grew up with? Oh, that's right... it started going down the drain the moment the Commish took over.

Nadroj 20
02-21-2010, 11:13 AM
See fansince76's signature and thats all it is.

silver & black
02-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Maintaining safety is one thing, but COME ON :doh:

Where's the game of football we all grew up with? Oh, that's right... it started going down the drain the moment the Commish took over.

Nah, it started way before that.... but Goodell sure is hastening it along!

smokin3000gt
02-21-2010, 12:40 PM
I think it's time to pick a rugby team. That is a real sport. No wonder they laugh at us.

AllD
02-21-2010, 05:01 PM
The NFL is considering giving Brady and Manning their own yellow flags to throw on the opposing defense in case they get too close. This will help speed up the game and remove any doubt linked to a judgement call.

steelerdude15
02-21-2010, 09:44 PM
:pillowfight:

supa_fly_steeler
02-21-2010, 10:20 PM
:pillowfight:

-z-aexBlYU4

Galax Steeler
02-22-2010, 03:51 AM
Come on let the boys play this is football. What a waste Goodell is he needs to just fall off the face of the planet.

CanadianSteel
02-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Wow what a joke.... no 3 point stance WTF...... I can see them looking to reduce the number of helmet to helmet collisions but c,mon its football for bloody sakes big men flying around trying to hit each other.

Seems like the way the above was written is its all on the defence as well. I dont see how come receivers, tight ends and RB's can use their head as a weapon when being taclked. For the most part I dont think players head hunt as much nowdays, but things happen when tackles are made as people make contact.

supa_fly_steeler
02-22-2010, 10:01 AM
Come on let the boys play this is football. What a waste Goodell is he needs to just fall off the face of the planet.

id rather kick him off the planet so his face goes smacking into mars

steelreserve
02-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Yeah, this crap where they try to mess with things that are just unavoidably part of the game has got to stop. Might as well ban the jump shot in basketball, or impose a 70 mph speed limit on MLB pitchers.

While I don't really agree with that douchebag from the Vikings who was whining about "OMG, I have a family to support and I can't do it on a measly $2.5 million a year," he was right about one thing: Goodell is getting paid almost $10 million for THIS? Seriously, WTF. You could bring in some Bozo off the street for $50K a year, and while he might not improve things, it would be almost impossible to F them up as bad as Goodell.

Indo
02-22-2010, 01:16 PM
The pussification of the Greatest Game on The Planet is getting almost intolerable. If this continues I'll have to give up the NFL Sunday Ticket and switch to the NHL Hockey package. Now that's a sport I've also loved for many years (despite the fact I can't skate for shyyyte). Just go watch Ovechkin jack up Jagr yesterday....I have no love for the caveman whatsoever, but you gotta respect a decent hit, no matter where it came from

P.S. watch the whole video

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F7nfSW6kRUU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F7nfSW6kRUU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

lionslicer
02-23-2010, 03:06 PM
The pussification of the Greatest Game on The Planet is getting almost intolerable. If this continues I'll have to give up the NFL Sunday Ticket and switch to the NHL Hockey package. Now that's a sport I've also loved for many years (despite the fact I can't skate for shyyyte). Just go watch Ovechkin jack up Jagr yesterday....I have no love for the caveman whatsoever, but you gotta respect a decent hit, no matter where it came from

P.S. watch the whole video

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F7nfSW6kRUU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F7nfSW6kRUU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

P.S. Video failed

Indo
02-23-2010, 04:05 PM
They pulled the other video from youtube----

Here is another with an interview with Jagr---they show the hit in it
watch his head! Goodell would be lookin' for somebody to fine!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_3kwLVQdErE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_3kwLVQdErE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

WH
03-03-2010, 10:51 AM
The less contact they allow in Football the more Americans start watching Soccer.

Indo
03-03-2010, 04:14 PM
The less contact they allow in Football the more Americans start watching Soccer.

...and Curling

WH
03-03-2010, 06:59 PM
...and Curling

Was it just the people I have on Facebook or was everyone in the US actually watching Curling during these Olympics.