PDA

View Full Version : Where were you 30 years ago today ?

Venom
02-22-2010, 07:43 AM
Do you believe in miracles ???? 30 years ago today , Usa beat the Russians 4-3 in Lake Placid Ny . Great game and probably one of the greatest upset in sports history . :thumbsup:

stlrtruck
02-22-2010, 07:56 AM
I was sitting in front of my tv at the age of 9, half watching half not - 100% not aware of what was happening that night! But I do remember watching it.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-22-2010, 08:37 AM
I watched every second of the game. I remember that the background to the game was that we had Americans being held as hostages in Iran and the country was watching their economy being pulled down by double-digit inflation, unemployment, and a growing trade and budget deficit. Remember the gas lines? Remember coffee prices?

I think that my family was typical in that our Olympic Hockey Team gave us back a sense of patriotism at a point when we wanted to feel good about our country again.

Anyone remember the song that came out soon after the games? The lyrics say it all.

In America

Well the eagle's been flying slow and the flag's been flying low
And a lot of people are saying that America's fixing to fall
But speaking just for me and some people from Tennessee
We got a thing or two to tell you all
This lady may have stumbled but she ain't never fell
And if the Russians don't believe that they can all go straight to hell
We're gonna put her feet back on the path of righteousness
And then God bless America again

And you never did think that it ever would happen again
In America, did you?
You never did think that we'd ever get together again
Well we damn sure fooled you
We're walking real proud and we're talking real loud again in America
You never did think that it ever would happen again

From the sound up in Long Island out to San Francisco Bay
And ev'ry thing that's in between them is our home
And we may have done a little bit of fighting amongst ourselves
But you outside people best leave us alone
Cause we'll all stick together and you can take that to the bank
That's the cowboys and the hippies and the rebels and the yanks
You just go and lay your hand on a Pittsburgh Steeler fan
And I think you're gonna finally understand

And you never did think that it ever would happen again
In America, did you?
You never did think that we'd ever get together again
Well we damn sure fooled you
We're walking real proud and we're talking real loud again in America
You never did think that it ever would happen again

devilsdancefloor
02-22-2010, 09:42 AM
i was watching the game! it was great and LLT that is my favorite charlie daniels song!

Indo
02-22-2010, 12:52 PM
I was in 10th grade at the time and i remember watching every second of that game like it was yesterday!

I posted this in the "Olympic Hockey " thread but

Bob Costas remarked the other day that there apparently was a poll amongst sportswriters for the best Quote ever by an announcer and Al Michaels call of that game won when he said,

"Do You Believe in Miracles?!"

I still get chills when I hear that...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QTev5pSuYLk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QTev5pSuYLk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Indo
02-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Here's a longer clip

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aRALJyv86eY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aRALJyv86eY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

7SteelGal43
02-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Was in the 9th grade, living in Lamar, MS sittin on the multi colored linoleum of our living room watching the game on our old cabinet tv and lovin every minute of it. Last night was pretty damn cool too :thumbsup:

wow, watchin that still gives me chills

GO USA :usa:

7SteelGal43
02-22-2010, 01:33 PM
vwpTj_Z9v-c&NR=1

supa_fly_steeler
02-22-2010, 01:38 PM
30 years ago i was a sperm cell to be in the future :D

HometownGal
02-22-2010, 01:48 PM
I watched every second of the game. I remember that the background to the game was that we had Americans being held as hostages in Iran and the country was watching their economy being pulled down by double-digit inflation, unemployment, and a growing trade and budget deficit. Remember the gas lines? Remember coffee prices?

I think that my family was typical in that our Olympic Hockey Team gave us back a sense of patriotism at a point when we wanted to feel good about our country again.

Anyone remember the song that came out soon after the games? The lyrics say it all.

Thanks for the memories LLT - I loved that song! :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

I remember the USA/Russian series oh so well and the immense pride I felt after the USA took the Gold! :usa: :applaudit: Is a repeat of the USA's hockey team in order?

I SAY HELL YEAH! :hope: :usa:

HometownGal
02-22-2010, 01:49 PM
30 years ago i was a sperm cell to be in the future :D

A misguided one that got away, me thinks. :chuckle:

Indo
02-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the memories LLT - I loved that song! :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

I remember the USA/Russian series oh so well and the immense pride I felt after the USA took the Gold! :usa: :applaudit: Is a repeat of the USA's hockey team in order?
I SAY HELL YEAH! :hope: :usa:

They played with some Heart yesterday...right down to the effort to get the empty-netter

I think you may be right about the repeat :drink:

supa_fly_steeler
02-22-2010, 03:13 PM
A misguided one that got away, me thinks. :chuckle:

http://www.allemoticons.com/Avatars/crying3.gif

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/south-park/hanky.gif

OneForTheToe
02-22-2010, 04:04 PM
I was 12. It was an amazing thing to see. Remember the game was on tape delay, so word was spreading about what had happened. I don't think I knew the outcome (the game was only delayed 4 or five hours, I believe), but I remember knowing something special had happened, so I needed to watch.

It's funny, if you did a poll of Americans, I bet a large percentage would say that the game was for the gold medal. It is similar in the way that so many people think the Steelers won the Super Bowl the year of the Immaculate Reception. I remember how we almost lost the gold medal game to Finland. Apparently Herb Brooks told his players between periods that, "if you lose this game, you'll take it to your "f*cking graves." A great man he was. May he rest in peace.

Here is a perfect cover of SI. No words necessary. I just wish I would have saved a copy.:banging:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bd/Sports_Illustrated_Miracle_on_Ice_cover.jpg

SteelCityMan786
02-22-2010, 04:05 PM
I wasn't even alive for this day. Although I think my generation got to see it's own version of that last night.

Nadroj 20
02-22-2010, 06:03 PM
I wasn't even alive for this day. Although I think my generation got to see it's own version of that last night.

Either was i, but seeing highlights and hearing about it makes me think about how awesome it had to be. I know nothing would be the same as actually seeing it and experiencing those moments but boy is it interesting and even inspiring to watch highlights and hear stories about it.

supa_fly_steeler
02-22-2010, 06:16 PM
30 years ago we were reigning super bowl champions

7SteelGal43
02-23-2010, 02:53 AM

Except for one thing. 1980 was a bunch of wet behind the ears college players taking on the mighty Soviets. They weren't NHLers.

Galax Steeler
02-23-2010, 04:16 AM
I remember watching it with my parents what a game it was. Hopefully we will be up for a repeat this year.

steelpinstripe72
02-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Not here yet...although it should be noted that I'm from Lake Placid - my family's first house here was about 5 minutes from the jumping complex. I spent a lot of my childhood on that rink (which is now in pieces - they're renovating the Herb Brooks Arena). Flat on my butt, but I was there.