PDA

View Full Version : Will Rolando McClain Be too Hard to Pass Up?

nfldraft2010
02-22-2010, 11:15 AM
http://www.pressboxonline.com/blog.cfm?ID=2035

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-22-2010, 11:32 AM
I dont think McLain lasts to #18, but if he does..............the Steelers should take him.

7willBheaven
02-22-2010, 11:43 AM
If you have to ask this question...i feel sorry for you. IF and thats a big if...he falls that far...you gotta take him. I havent seen much of him (i dont follow college that much)...but what i have seen and heard...hes a stud and very pro ready too. He would fill a void for us for a number of years. Though I just dont see him falling past NYG who just cut their starting ILB recently...unless someone else falls into their laps they cant pass on he wont make it past them i dont think.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Clemson defensive coordinator Kevin Steele, who held that position at Alabama the previous two seasons, has coached linebackers on the major college level and in the NFL for more than two decades.

"He's got that gift of being able to analytically process information and react to it as fast as any guy I've ever been around," Steele said. "There are a lot of ways to teach players -- in the classroom, on the board, with video, practice reps. Some guys have to do it full speed. You can pass Rolando in the hall and say, 'In this formation, in this defense we need to do this,' and it's done.

"I've never coached but two like that," Steele said. "One of them was Sam Mills, who played 12 years in the NFL and was All-Pro several times. And Rolando."

Sitting at his desk on a recent hectic, game-planning Monday, Saban paused to explain what makes McClain's grasp of defense different from most players. If his defensive playbook were a math text, it would be calculus. McClain knows it like a Tuscaloosa first-grader knows that two plus two equals 3rd-and-6.

"Some guys understand their position," Saban said. "But I would venture to guess Ro knows what every player is supposed to do on every play on defense, and he knows like I know who didn't do right, and when he didn't do right, sometimes immediately."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=4619628

McLain is big, physical, fast............and that isnt even his best quality. He could be as much of a student of LB play as Peyton Manning is QB play.

jonslow
02-22-2010, 01:10 PM
I have to agree with all of that. McClain is a unique talent. He has a great mix of size, speed and intelligence. I don't see him falling out of the top 10 in any scenario. The need for ILBs is there, especially this year when more teams are switching to 3-4s and need the personnel. If you look at what Patrick Willis and Ray Lewis have done for their defenses, it's not hard to imagine why a Butkus Award Winner with his football smarts and physical tools will be in high demand this year.

Although this year's draft class has a myriad of excellent defensive talent, I think McClain still sits near the top of the board. ILBs are going to be a soft spot later on in the draft, so for any team in need of a great inside linebacker, McClain will present a terrific opportunity.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Giants, Dolphins, and Broncos would all be happy to grab McClain before we see him.

I think he might slip past the top 10 in certain scenarios...but highly unlikely to fall in to the lower half of the first round.

supa_fly_steeler
02-22-2010, 01:37 PM
I dont think McLain lasts to #18, but if he does..............the Steelers should take him.

Agreed. I think the Giants take him.

Aussie_steeler
02-22-2010, 01:51 PM
If McClain makes it past the top ten watch a boat load of teams try to trade up to get him.

And yes the steelers could be one of them ( very small chance) because Tomlin is on the record for expressing his mancrush for McClain

Chidi29
02-22-2010, 06:17 PM
I see a lot of Farrior in him in the sense that he's extremely smart, yet quie, and will flat out make plays. But I agree with you guys. He isn't falling that far. Should he even fall to around the top 15 mark, there will be a boatload of teams looking to move up for him.

Northside Jonny
02-22-2010, 08:16 PM
If he is there hell yeah take him!

supa_fly_steeler
02-22-2010, 08:36 PM
I see a lot of Farrior in him in the sense that he's extremely smart, yet quie, and will flat out make plays. But I agree with you guys. He isn't falling that far. Should he even fall to around the top 15 mark, there will be a boatload of teams looking to move up for him.

True but what look happened to Jon Beason, arguably a top 8 linebacker now. Better than Timmons yet selected 7 picks after