PDA

View Full Version : Are The Steelers A Dynasty ?

SteelerEmpire
02-22-2010, 12:34 PM
Asking for input. LINK: http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/9563/thought-of-the-day-steelers-dynasty?utm_source=bleacherreport.com

steelerdude15
02-22-2010, 02:27 PM
If we did win the SB for the 2010 season, I doubt it would be considered a dynasty since we're in a new decade. The 2000's belonged to New England, but they haven't won since 2005 so...

steelreserve
02-22-2010, 03:15 PM
If we did win the SB for the 2010 season, I doubt it would be considered a dynasty since we're in a new decade. The 2000's belonged to New England, but they haven't won since 2005 so...

Crossing over some imaginary boundary of one decade to the next has nothing to do with anything. It's not like some reset button gets pressed every 10 years and every team starts over from zero with new players. The question is: Does winning three Super Bowls in six years count as a "dynasty?"

My answer: Maybe. I doubt people will consider it quite the same as the previous Steelers/49ers/Cowboys, because the difference is that besides winning back-to-back titles, they all stayed extremely competitive during the gaps. We've won a championship one year and let people walk all over us the next season.

Closest example I can think of in pro sports is the Spurs in the NBA. They won four titles in 10 years, but all spread out ... people don't really call them a "dynasty" for whatever reason. An almost-dynasty, maybe. That's about where we'll be if we win another one in the next year or two.

steelcity1974
02-22-2010, 04:21 PM
No, we are not. And I don't really care. All I know is with Big Ben we have an opportunity to get more SBs...we need to get at least two more with Ben because when he is gone you never know when you're going to get another franchise QB...just look how long it took between 4 and 5. A dynasty means the team was "dominant" during their era. There isn't one Steelers fan, let alone sports writer, that will dub the Steelers a dynasty simply becuase of our lack of dominance. In our 3 non-SB years, we missed the playoffs twice and were 1 and done the other year. If we are able to win 2010 AND 2011, then the 2008-2011 era is a dynasty and the 2009 season will do down as a fluke year due to key injuries.

DoubleYoi
02-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Asking for input. LINK: http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/9563/thought-of-the-day-steelers-dynasty?utm_source=bleacherreport.com

No. Must maintain some sort of consistency between SB championships. SB hangovers are not something that a dynasty experiences. Not saying you need a SB or AFC Championship appearance every year but making the playoffs would help this argument a lot.

Gnutella
02-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Since 2000, the Steelers haven't made the playoffs more than two seasons in a row. The answer is 'no.'

Northside Jonny
02-24-2010, 05:55 PM
The Franchise as a whole is a DYNASTY! Everybody count with me now 1,2,3,4,5,and 6 nuff said.

pete74
02-24-2010, 06:29 PM
No. Must maintain some sort of consistency between SB championships. SB hangovers are not something that a dynasty experiences. Not saying you need a SB or AFC Championship appearance every year but making the playoffs would help this argument a lot.

i agree 100%. the patriots were in the playoff race just about every year during there dynasty, they didnt miss them consistintly like us

fansince'76
02-24-2010, 11:19 PM
i agree 100%. the patriots were in the playoff race just about every year during there dynasty, they didnt miss them consistintly like us

Maybe we should've cheated.

scsteeler
02-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Maybe we should've cheated.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Indo
02-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Tell you what,

The Cowboys can be America's Team and

the Cheatrio----oops---Patriots can be the Dynasty of the Decade

I'm happy being the ONLY TEAM WITH SIX!

Kittyfish
02-27-2010, 08:13 AM
Agree with the above except I'll be even happier when we're the only team with seven! *g*

solardave
02-27-2010, 08:43 AM
The Franchise as a whole is a DYNASTY! Everybody count with me now 1,2,3,4,5,and 6 nuff said.

If you considered a shit team that cheats a dynasty than no, we're not and who would want to be like those dirtbags. If you take into account the way the team bounces back then in my heart WE ARE!!!

M.C. Smith
02-27-2010, 09:09 AM
If the Steelers would have repeated this past season, then they would have been considered a dynasty... winning three Super Bowls in five years. So with that being said, I would have to say the answer is no.

HughC
03-01-2010, 05:20 PM
It used to be the term dynasty applied to only one team in each sport, a team that excelled even when the best players changed over multiple decades: the Yankees in baseball, the Canadiens in hockey, the Celtics in basketball, and the Packers in football. Over the years the term seems to have evolved to best team of the decade, or best team during one star player's career - the Michael Jordan Chicago Bulls, the Joe Montana 49ers, the Aikman-Irvin-Emmitt Cowboys, etc.

I think at this point most everyone considers the Steelers to be the best team of the Super Bowl era. Even though the Packers have more championships, because they came before most NFL fans were born and because most people count Super Bowls rather than NFL championships, the Steelers are considered the NFL's dynasty in that old, original definition of dynasty. As for the newer version of the term dynasty, Brady's Patriots lead Ben's Steelers 3 to 2 but there's a whole lot of football left to be played before their careers are finished. It's like declaring somebody winner with ten minutes left to play in the first half.

One last thing, in comparing the current Steelers (or other teams) to teams from the 70's or 80's, it really can't be done; the only thing you can do is compare them to other teams of the same era. Those teams back then didn't have to cope with the double-edged sword of free agency and the salary cap. It's so much more difficult to keep a team intact, that winning two championships now is like winning four championships a generation ago.

Quasar
03-10-2010, 12:37 AM
1981-1989 49ers a dynasty? They missed the playoffs in 1982, and in the 1986 playoffs, the Giants beat them 49-3 (actually it was 49-3 by the end of the 3rd quarter even!). The Steelers never blew a playoff game that bad...

madtowndrunkard
03-10-2010, 07:00 AM
IMO you have to win 3 SB's in the same era to be a dynasty. So no not yet, but there is still time.