PDA

View Full Version : Tomlinson’s time in San Diego ends

supa_fly_steeler
02-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Tomlinson’s time in San Diego ends
Casey Pearce
Posted 1 hour ago
http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/Tomlinson%E2%80%99s-time-in-San-Diego-ends/4017d022-3cb2-4a9b-8ae0-9511599ef969

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson, the Chargers all-time leading rusher, was released today after nine remarkable seasons in San Diego.

Chargers President Dean Spanos met with Tomlinson today and informed his veteran running back that he is being released.

“This is a part of the business that I hate, and it’s particularly hard when you’re dealing with someone I consider a friend,” Spanos said. “Change involving great players is never easy. I respect LT as much or more than any player I’ve ever known. And no one appreciates his contributions to this organization more than I do. That is why this is such a difficult announcement for me to make.

“It has been a privilege to work with him and witness his entire career. I’m proud of him and grateful to him for the way he has carried himself both on and off the field.

“No matter where he chooses to continue his career, in my mind LT will always be a San Diego Charger. His legacy as one of the greatest running backs the game has ever seen will be as a Charger.”

Tomlinson owns or shares 28 team records, including career rushing yards, yards from scrimmage and touchdowns. During his nine seasons in San Diego, Tomlinson won two rushing titles (2006 and ’07), set an NFL single-season record for touchdowns in a season (31 in ’06) and racked up 12,490 rushing yards, the eighth-highest total in NFL history. He was the NFL’s Most Valuable Player in 2006 and earned Pro Bowl honors five times.

“I was fortunate to be the offensive coordinator here during LT’s rookie year in 2001 and it didn’t take long to realize that we were dealing with a special player and a special individual,” Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner said. “And when I returned to the Chargers in 2007, I was proud to be a part of his second NFL rushing title.

“LT is a true pro. He’s one of the greatest runners this game has ever seen and words can’t do justice to the things he’s accomplished on and off the field.”

In addition to his long list of achievements on the gridiron, Tomlinson’s tireless efforts in the community have benefitted thousands of individuals in San Diego as well as his native Texas. In 2006, LT received the NFL Man of the Year Award in recognition of his numerous philanthropic efforts.

“It’s fitting that LT’s and LaTorsha’s charity is called the ‘Touching Lives Foundation’ because that’s exactly what they’ve done,” Spanos said. “So many people have been positively affected by their generosity. Our community has been fortunate to have them.”

Tomlinson joined the Chargers in 2001 as the fifth overall selection in the NFL Draft. The Chargers originally held the top pick in the draft, but swung a trade with the Atlanta Falcons, who moved up to take quarterback Michael Vick. The Chargers nervously waited as Tomlinson fell to the fifth spot where they enthusiastically brought him into their fold.

“There were a lot of eyebrows raised when we made that trade, but LT proved to be everything we thought he’d be and more,” Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith said. “He’s a future Hall of Famer. My only regret is that he leaves San Diego without a Super Bowl ring.”

Tomlinson was one of 53 men recognized as the Greatest All-Time Chargers during the team’s 50th anniversary celebration last season and he was recently named to the NFL’s All-Decade Team for the 2000s. His 138 career rushing touchdowns are the second most in NFL history and his 153 total touchdowns ranks third in league annals.

“I look forward to the time when we’ll see his number retired and see him inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame,” Spanos said. “I can’t say enough about how much I’ve enjoyed being around LT and LaTorsha the last nine years.”

steelerdude15
02-22-2010, 03:25 PM
I wonder where he's off to now, this is going get interesting.

supa_fly_steeler
02-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Hopefully he retires.

Carolina Steelers
02-22-2010, 03:50 PM
I think LT can still play for someone. Willie Parker could end up in San Diego hes a few years younger

Psyychoward86
02-22-2010, 05:07 PM
a shame that he never has a probably never will get a ring

silver & black
02-22-2010, 05:10 PM
I hope he goes somewhere other than Denver or KC... I'm tired of watching him kick the Raiders' ass twice a year. :wave:

tony hipchest
02-22-2010, 05:16 PM
LT= patriot. they will dump faulk, taylor, and a. thomas, and save money and increase productivity by brining in LT and porter.

steelreserve
02-22-2010, 06:09 PM
LT= patriot. they will dump faulk, taylor, and a. thomas, and save money and increase productivity by brining in LT and porter.

I think Porter dislikes the Patriots enough that he won't wind up there. But I definitely see them bringing in LT or Westbrook, plus Foote and some other veteran, plus picking up two or three more first-day draft picks from the Raiders in the process, just because all of the above will piss everyone off.

Also, they'll probably let Plaxico Burress out of jail early so he can go play for New England for the league minimum, also just because it would piss me off.

Nadroj 20
02-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Hopefully he retires.

Why hopefully? I dont see it happening, but saying hopefully he retires just strikes me as not liking him and hoping he just leaves the game.

supa_fly_steeler
02-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Why hopefully? I dont see it happening, but saying hopefully he retires just strikes me as not liking him and hoping he just leaves the game.

Hopefully as in just seeing him as a Charger, it just sucks when face of franchises go take a 1 year shitty deal. He's a first ballot hall of famer.

Apparantley he was crying when he walked out of the charger facility.

silver & black
02-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Hopefully as in just seeing him as a Charger, it just sucks when face of franchises go take a 1 year shitty deal. He's a first ballot hall of famer.

Apparantley he was crying when he walked out of the charger facility.

Crying?... I'm shocked!...not! As good as he was/is, he's a crybaby. I loved when Danny Clark layed him out in 05, I think it was... he cried then, too. :sofunny:

supa_fly_steeler
02-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Crying?... I'm shocked!...not! As good as he was/is, he's a crybaby. I loved when Danny Clark layed him out in 05, I think it was... he cried then, too. :sofunny:

lol what about the patriots lights out when he called himself class man and he was crying at the podium :sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

silver & black
02-22-2010, 08:02 PM
lol what about the patriots lights out when he called himself class man and he was crying at the podium :sofunny::sofunny::sofunny::sofunny:

LOL... classic. LT always has that whiny look on his face.

supa_fly_steeler
02-22-2010, 08:34 PM
LOL... classic. LT always has that whiny look on his face.

He only wears a visor so u cant see the tears treckle down his face :drink:

EUEcK96R3rE

tRvm33Auv-8

2Yq7-b05XmU

SteelersinCA
02-22-2010, 10:55 PM
LT was the reason I bought season tickets to the chargers, at least I don't have to buy those anymore.

klick81
02-22-2010, 11:44 PM
LT was the reason I bought season tickets to the chargers, at least I don't have to buy those anymore.

How much were you paying for those?

steeltheone
02-23-2010, 02:19 AM
He wont retire...He thinks he still has it...Just average now.

supa_fly_steeler
02-23-2010, 05:15 AM
is it just me but in this pic he looks headless becuse he wears such dark visors to hide his tears from no super bowls

http://img.skysports.com/09/09/800x600/tomlinson_2362372.jpg

HometownGal
02-23-2010, 07:03 AM
I have the utmost respect for LT and wherever he ends up, I wish him only the best. :drink:

supa_fly_steeler
02-23-2010, 07:24 AM
I have the utmost respect for LT and wherever he ends up, I wish him only the best. :drink:

I have to agree although i like taking the piss out of him He was a great running back. It's a shame he ended up with no Super Bowl whilst those Charger fans call themselves "The Most Talented Roster" Not really if u can't beat us three times in a row we whoop yo ass. It's also a shame he ended up with the Chargers organisation.

I would laugh if the Raiders or Broncos signed L.T. and he ran all over them the next season lol.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-23-2010, 08:22 AM
That brings up an interesting problem for themin the upcoming draft. The Chargers now desperately need a RB and a NT. If they go with an RB in the first round...there is a chance that the best 4 NT's will be gone by the time they pick in the 2nd round.

There is a chance that they will have to trade up in the second to make sure they get a guy who can start immediately.

SteelersinCA
02-23-2010, 09:58 PM
How much were you paying for those?

I bought club level tickets. They were 2k a piece.

supa_fly_steeler
02-24-2010, 08:24 AM
I bought club level tickets. They were 2k a piece.

2000 $$$$ a game wow what did you get out of it .

klick81
02-24-2010, 10:09 AM
I think he meant $2k per ticket for the entire season. Not bad for good seats IMO.

SteelersinCA
02-24-2010, 03:38 PM
2k per ticket for the season.

mesaSteeler
02-25-2010, 06:18 AM
Tears flow as 'L.T.' says final goodbye
By MARCIA C. SMITH
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER
masmith@ocregister.com
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/tomlinson-236188-team-chargers.html

POWAY -- Cut by the only NFL club he ever called his home team, LaDainian Tomlinson could have carried hard feelings for the Chargers, who no longer need him to carry their football.
Instead, in his news conference Wednesday at the Maderas Golf Club, the former Charger expressed his gratitude to his city of fans who have chanted "L.T." and worn No. 21 jerseys, to his teammates, to his trainers who prepared him for 141 games, to his wife and to the team that drafted him nine seasons ago and now has let him go.

And then LaDainian Tomlinson broke into tears. He whimpered. He cried even though he told himself beforehand he wouldn't.

"I'm sorry ..." he told the gallery of about 50 media members and Chargers front office staff who wanted another goodbye. "I always have worn my emotions on my sleeve, and for that, I'm not sorry (for crying). I thank you."

For strength, he looked to his wife, LaTorsha, who sat to the right of the podium. This was one of the most emotional days of L.T.'s career, one of saddest days in San Diego sports and regrettably, one of the cruelest realities in modern professional sports.

"This isn't the end of the world at all," said Tomlinson, 30, the Chargers' all-time leading rusher. "I'm not retiring. I really believe that I'm going to have that opportunity to win that championship."

It just won't be behind the dark-visored helmet adorned with lightning bolts.

Tomlinson said he plans to play three or more seasons to chase the elusive Super Bowl ring. He wouldn't say which teams have contacted him, but he's confident he has more ground to gain and more young players to mentor.

Having seen former Chargers castoffs Rodney Harrison, Junior Seau and just this past season, Drew Brees move on to play in Super Bowls gives Tomlinson hope for his future with some team not called the Chargers.

Many times during his first public appearance since being released Monday, Tomlinson repeated he sought a chance, an opportunity and a roster spot on a team for which he didn't even need have to be the top back. It's a simple request, one the team to which he has always been loyal refused to give him.

To the Chargers, Tomlinson has been a faithful to a fault, signing a long-term deal with a struggling team when he was in his prime and renegotiating a paycut for 2009 to stay with the team his legs built into a contender.

He was once promised he would be a "Charger for life." But there are no such marriages in today's sports — only divorce, bitter and never sweet. And Tomlinson has handled this breakup as he has most setbacks: with dignity, respect and class.

When Chargers president Dean Spanos told Tomlinson of his release, Spanos offered no explanation. Tomlinson said Wednesday that he didn't need one, that he knows that "this is a tough business and sometimes a team needs to make a decision and do what's best for the ballclub."

Tomlinson didn't want to leave. Even if he knew he was aging. Even if there were younger, faster legs eager to take his place. Even if quarterback Philip Rivers had replaced him as the face of the franchise that Tomlinson had almost entirely lifted into being an AFC West champion team worth the world's attention.

So much for his loyalty. So much for his playing when he was hurt and hurting when he wasn't playing. It's a league in which the bottom line is winning and the only thing that matters is your last carry.

In Tomlinson's case, it was a 1-yard push into the cold, stone side of the New York Jets' defense in an AFC divisional playoff loss. That day the Qualcomm Stadium home crowd booed the man who owned or shared 28 Chargers records, who won the NFL rushing titles in 2006 and 2007 and five Pro Bowl honors and was the league's Most Valuable Player in 2006.

Perhaps the frustrated fans want those ungrateful boos back. Too bad Chargers president Dean Spanos had to tell one of the NFL's model players Monday that the team didn't want back L.T., the dedicated player who ran for 12,490 yards and 138 touchdowns.

Sadly, there's no football value placed in keeping the man who inspired tens of thousands to wear the No. 21 apparel, now discounted 50 percent at the Chargers Team Store.

There's no football reward for the contributions Tomlinson made to his hometown, for the 21 children he brought to every game, for the Christmases he saved for families or for the students he sent to college.

"We're still going to be a part of this community," he said. "It just won't be by playing football."

He said he will keep his home in San Diego. He and his wife are expecting their first child. "It's a boy," LaTorsha said, smiling.

LaDainian Tomlinson will always cherish his nine seasons here. He told Spanos that he would even like to retire as a Charger. Until then, Tomlinson will have his memories.

And in saying goodbye to this great Charger, everyone should shed a few tears.