PDA

View Full Version : Brian Price

Northside Jonny
02-23-2010, 11:08 AM
I think this guy is flying under the radar a little but he very well could be a steeler come draft day sounds like a solid selection. Check out his profile tell me what you think. Sounds to me like a smart player with a solid character. DT UCLA 6'2" 300 LBS.
http://sidelinescouting.net/rankings/dt.shtml

jonslow
02-23-2010, 12:07 PM
I really like Price, but I don't know if I like him in the Pittsburgh system. He'd make a really solid 3-4 DE, but I'm not sure that's a huge priority at this point after having drafted Hood and groomed him all year. Granted, he's only 6'2", so that 300 lbs. gives him a little extra leverage than if he were taller. He's just not a fit to play NT. If he falls to 18, he wouldn't be a bad value pick. We have him getting drafted in the mock at #26 to the Cards, but I could definitely see him jumping up to a team needing a 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE. He's an interesting option for the Giants at #15.

Northside Jonny
02-23-2010, 03:01 PM
You don't think he is fit for the steelers because of his size or is it to much of a change from what he has done in the past?

jdthree
02-23-2010, 05:00 PM
If we were to move over to a 4-3, he'd make an awesome selection as he doesn't have the ideal body type for a 3-4 end, and doesn't quite have enough rear-end or anchor to be a top NT, IMHO.

Chidi29
02-23-2010, 05:25 PM
He doesn't have ideal strength to play NT. He'd be best suited at UT where he can take full advantage of his quick first step.

Northside Jonny
02-23-2010, 11:27 PM
He doesn't have ideal strength to play NT. He'd be best suited at UT where he can take full advantage of his quick first step.

Chidi all we have to do is buy the guy a keg of Iron City once a week and he will be plenty strong enough. LOL:drink: Besides whats to say Coach Tomlin doesn't start to implement some of his 4-3 cover 2 schemes?

Aussie_steeler
02-24-2010, 02:07 AM
6'2 300bs just doesnt fit the steeler 3-4 system

He is a great fit for Indy and at pick 31 he would be a steal.

Chidi29
02-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Chidi all we have to do is buy the guy a keg of Iron City once a week and he will be plenty strong enough. LOL:drink: Besides whats to say Coach Tomlin doesn't start to implement some of his 4-3 cover 2 schemes?

I've pondered the idea of us switching to the 4-3 for awhile now, but can't say for sure if it'll happen or not. Taking Price would probably signal that, especially after taking Hood last season.

I did think that we saw a little bit of the Tampa 2 in terms of dropping our ILB to the deep middle, but who knows what'll happen post-LeBeau.

supa_fly_steeler
02-24-2010, 08:35 PM
I Smell Dolphins...

Northside Jonny
02-24-2010, 08:48 PM
I Smell Dolphins...

HUH?????????????:grin:

Steely McSmash
02-25-2010, 01:06 PM
UCLA = Bruce Davis :doh: no repeats.

Cal - Tyson Alualu Higher motor 2 Ziggys are better than 1

ULCA != Bruce Davis. Don't be ridiculous. You can make that argument for any school if you dig deep enough.

I've poked around this Brian Price issue quite a bit. I honestly have a hard time buying that, for the most part, people could actually know the facts that are used to support him nbot being able to play NT.

Here's what I've heard:

First the only legitimate one:
-His game in college is based more on a first quick move as opposed to dominating power.

And here's the rest

- Not strong enough -- what's the basis for this? is he getting pushed around, can you cite a game or weight room figures for this? From some press I've read, he routinely handles doubleteams.

-Frame is maxed out -- again how so? did they measure the guy's skeleton? Stalking him?

- Doesn't like to be run at -- no idea on this one -- he does have the all time season stat for a UCLA lineman for TFL so I think he likes it.

- wrong size -- Although he's similar in size to Hoke and Pro Bowl NT Ratliff, and only 15 lb less than Hampton after college. In 8 years, if he's still 15 lb less than Hampton we'd be in good shape.

all in all, I think there's a lot of parroting going on here. Abosolutely no-doubt that he would make a great 4-3 UT. If he had 15 pounds of fat on his rear like Dan Williams, people would be pasting him onto their signature graphics already.

He is short and has a high motor and low center of gravity. Since Hampton is re-signed I think he's worth consideration. If he doesn't excel at Nose he could be a stout end.

If you had Price/Hood at end, your ends would be much heavier and shorter than Smith/Keisel. Not sure what this means in practice -- shorter arms to take on OT? More bulk so we can use a lighter NT? thoughts?

supa_fly_steeler
02-25-2010, 01:10 PM
HUH?????????????:grin:

Miami will select him probs :P

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Steely that was very well wrote . Thanks for the insight.

Northside Jonny
02-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Isn't this what you want on your D-Line? A guy who can't be blocked with one man!irQMYESMEaY

Chidi29
02-27-2010, 12:54 AM
Highlight videos aren't very useful.

Northside Jonny
02-27-2010, 12:56 AM

WHY ? THIS VID SHOWS GOOD AND BAD! YOU DIDN'T EVEN WATCH THE VIDEO DID YOU ?

Chidi29
02-27-2010, 03:44 PM
WHY ? THIS VID SHOWS GOOD AND BAD! YOU DIDN'T EVEN WATCH THE VIDEO DID YOU ?

I watched the video a couple days ago. It mostly shows a lot of the good plays as the others from prodraftparty do.

Chidi29
02-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Steely,

You make a lot of solid points. However,, it's not a point that he really can't, it's possible that he could, but you would be losing one of his best assets in his explosiveness and quick first step that would be a lot more useful in a 4-3.

Northside Jonny
02-27-2010, 03:53 PM

Film is one tool used by every team in the NFL to evaluate players. I wanted to put the video on for people who may not have see Pric yet.

Chidi29
02-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Film is one tool used by every team in the NFL to evaluate players. I wanted to put the video on for people who may not have see Pric yet.

I understand that and I try to do the same but highlight videos don't tell you everything about the player.

If I really wanted to, I could make Ryan Leaf look like Peyton Manning and Manning look like Leaf.

Northside Jonny
02-27-2010, 06:56 PM
:blah:I understand that and I try to do the same but highlight videos don't tell you everything about the player.

If I really wanted to, I could make Ryan Leaf look like Peyton Manning and Manning look like Leaf.

Steely McSmash
02-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Steely,

You make a lot of solid points. However,, it's not a point that he really can't, it's possible that he could, but you would be losing one of his best assets in his explosiveness and quick first step that would be a lot more useful in a 4-3.

From the Steelers perspective, who cares if he's better in a 4-3?

I could see that this means he should be picked by a 4-3 team before he's a compelling value at NT in the 3-4. Considering he might fit at DE, I'm intrigued.

Steely that was very well wrote . Thanks for the insight.

Thanks. I would go so far as saying it's insight though:chuckle: More of a healthy skepticism IMO.