PDA

View Full Version : Steelers might not be able to afford safety Ryan Clark

supa_fly_steeler
02-24-2010, 07:47 AM
Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports safety Ryan Clark wants to stay. The Steelers want to re-sign him.

So, what could be the problem?

Money. It always comes down to money. Often when a player leaves a team as a free agent, it is not because he wanted to leave or the team did not want him back, the sides just could not agree on the money.

First, let us get Clark’s intentions up front. He wants to come back and play for the Steelers in 2010, rejoining Pro Bowl strong safety Troy Polamalu.

“Yeah, I do. I do,” Clark said. “It’s a great place to play. I think the Rooney family runs the team the way an organization should be run. I want to come back and make it right too. I want to come back and play with Troy, get all our guys back and make another run at it.”

How much value do the Steelers place on Ryan Clark as their free safety vs. what Clark and his agent want? The average annual compensation for the top 10 safeties (both free and strong) a year ago was $5.13 million. No. 2 on that list was Polamalu at $6.82 million. Clark counted $2.4 million on the salary cap last year.

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription.aspx?EntryId=2771

BWT this is old news so i checked if already posted button and no search results came up.

SteelerFanInStl
02-24-2010, 07:58 AM
How much value do the Steelers place on Ryan Clark as their free safety vs. what Clark and his agent want? The average annual compensation for the top 10 safeties (both free and strong) a year ago was $5.13 million. No. 2 on that list was Polamalu at $6.82 million. Clark counted $2.4 million on the salary cap last year.

Well, here's the issue. Clark is NOT a top 10 safety. Not even close. If he and his agent think that he should get paid like one then see ya later. If he's willing to sign for a reasonable amount then yea, I'd like to have him back.

steelpride12
02-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Clark is gone. This team will not pay him like the best FS in the league by a long shot and with the team eyeing up Thomas as their first round pick it becomes ever harder for Clark to think he will stay a Steeler. I just worry that either Thomas gets snagged by another team and Mundy does not turn into anything productive, then what?

SteelerFanInStl
02-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Clark is gone. This team will not pay him like the best FS in the league by a long shot and with the team eyeing up Thomas as their first round pick it becomes ever harder for Clark to think he will stay a Steeler. I just worry that either Thomas gets snagged by another team and Mundy does not turn into anything productive, then what?

Unfortunately the Steelers don't have anyone that can step in and be a productive starter. If they don't sign Clark, they'll have to sign a FA safety.

supa_fly_steeler
02-24-2010, 08:21 AM
I will cry if Clark goes but i will get over it.

I will forever remember what he did tho Welker lolz

Clark to Dallas anybody? Back to the New York Giants?

KJSteeler77
02-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Yea Clark was a fun player to watch with all his big hits and i would love to see him come back. But if he will take nothing less then a "top ten salary" i don't think the Steelers or may other teams will give it to him.

supa_fly_steeler
02-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Unfortunately the Steelers don't have anyone that can step in and be a productive starter. If they don't sign Clark, they'll have to sign a FA safety.

There isn't any safeties available in the free agency there all shit or all timers.

This Free Agency Class blows.

steelreserve
02-24-2010, 11:29 AM

... which is exactly what we did when Chris Hope left. Clark WAS the guy we signed.

If there's no one out there that we think can fill the gap ... can someone tell me why we'd use the transition tag on the idiot kicker instead of this guy? You can invariably draft the best college kicker in the nation with like a 6th-round pick, or sign an OK kicker off the garbage heap for close to the league minimum.

SteelMember
02-24-2010, 11:42 AM
There isn't any safeties available in the free agency there all shit or all timers.

I don't know. I think guys like Antoine Bethea or Roman Harper could be interesting.

Although they are both restricted FA's.

supa_fly_steeler
02-24-2010, 11:47 AM
I don't know. I think guys like Antoine Bethea or Roman Harper could be interesting.

Although they are both restricted FA's.

Harper will be back with Saints cus Sharper leaving probs. But i wouldn't close the door on that he's a cool good player.

Bethea is garbage, the most overrated piece of crap. He lets pass plays all over the place. Yea he had 4 int's but just look how lost he was against Brees. He had 95 tackles due to tackling alot inside the box and outside. I would pass and i think the Colts to resign him. He's just another Taylor Mays to be 1 good year and 4 shitty other ones.

Dino 6 Rings
02-24-2010, 11:49 AM
I thought Clark should have been our top priority over Reed, Hampton, and Parker. Clark showed he was the best guy in the secondary last season when Troy went down. He really complimented Troy and picked up as much slack as he could when Troy went down. Plus he hits like a beast.

I am sure we could find someone to replace him, like we did with Hope as SteelReserve points out. Still, I'd hate to have a Rookie back there with Troy, then Troy might get to feeling he has to do Everything instead of just playing his game.

I still think Anthony Smith had potential and that stupid Gaurentee game totally blew his karma and his self confidence. Dumb Kid should have just played straight up,he had some skills. Now he's shaky at best.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-24-2010, 11:50 AM

Which is why I hope that the 49ers grab Clark and wont need to draft a Safety before us at #18.

Alot of people here have been saying that we need to draft two safeties this year. If Clark moves on...that is almost a certainty.

SteelerFanInStl
02-24-2010, 11:51 AM

With Troy healthy, we could get away with an old timer back there for a year.

supa_fly_steeler
02-24-2010, 11:52 AM
With Troy healthy, we could get away with an old timer back there for a year.

No we couldn't we don't Know how healthy he can stay or the old guy back there. Id rather get alot younger in that area. All of our starting secondary players were 30+ by the time the season ends.

SteelerFanInStl
02-24-2010, 11:58 AM
No we couldn't we don't Know how healthy he can stay or the old guy back there. Id rather get alot younger in that area. All of our starting secondary players were 30+ by the time the season ends.

We could, provided that Troy is 100% healthy, but we would also need to draft Clark's replacement in the first or second round this year. I'm only talking about a temporary fix until the young guy gets a little experience.

7willBheaven
02-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Yea Clark was a fun player to watch with all his big hits and i would love to see him come back. But if he will take nothing less then a "top ten salary" i don't think the Steelers or may other teams will give it to him.

It doesnt say anywhere in there about him demanding top 10 salary. It was just showing what the salaries were and where they ranked last year. I'm sure he'll want a little more than he made last year but still...doesnt say hes demanding anything.

I for one hope we can get something worked out with him...like 3 year deal or so...i've always liked Ryan on and off the field...he'll be missed if he goes.

truesteelerfan
02-24-2010, 12:08 PM
I think the value of Clark is his relationship with Troy. When playing together, Clark knows where Troy is going to be when he's floating around the entire field....A newcomer playing Clark's position will be in trouble...Troy will either have to take lots of extra time to work with the newbie to let him know where he's going to be playing in every situation, or limit his freestyling and play more of a typical role, which IMO would limit his effectiveness. I look at Troy being able to be as great as he is, because of Clark's ability to know where Troy will be. I think this is a must sign, Top-10 may be tough to swallow, but our team is worse off if Troy can't be Troy.

SteelerFanInStl
02-24-2010, 12:17 PM
I think the value of Clark is his relationship with Troy. When playing together, Clark knows where Troy is going to be when he's floating around the entire field....A newcomer playing Clark's position will be in trouble...Troy will either have to take lots of extra time to work with the newbie to let him know where he's going to be playing in every situation, or limit his freestyling and play more of a typical role, which IMO would limit his effectiveness. I look at Troy being able to be as great as he is, because of Clark's ability to know where Troy will be. I think this is a must sign, Top-10 may be tough to swallow, but our team is worse off if Troy can't be Troy.

Troy was great before Clark came to the Steelers and he'll still be great if Clark leaves.

SteelMember
02-24-2010, 01:23 PM

Not that your wrong, but people said the same thing when Chris Hope left via FA.

surcalifero
02-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Which is why I hope that the 49ers grab Clark and wont need to draft a Safety before us at #18.

Alot of people here have been saying that we need to draft two safeties this year. If Clark moves on...that is almost a certainty.

If Carter leaves as well then we might as well pick up three safeties in the draft.

surcalifero
02-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Ryan Clark wants Top Ten safety money
Casey Hampton will probably want more money compare to his last contract.
Jeff Reed wants Janikowski money
Willie Parker wants the starting role

Its looks to me like we will be losing a lot of experience

aclark99
02-24-2010, 04:00 PM
Let Clark and Hampton go.....Clark is not a great safety. He was only good because of Polamalu. Who wouldn't be good playing next to him. For Hampton, I can not see giving a 33 year old NT 7Mil a year. Our defense can plug in just about anybody in the middle with size and be successful. Face it our defense is getting old and we need some youth. Thomas or Mays in the 1st and then a NT or ILB in the second. I think signing Colon is more important.

steelerdude15
02-24-2010, 04:11 PM
We should draft Earl then if he leaves and yes, I agree, Clark isn't in the top ten FS.

Northside Jonny
02-24-2010, 05:38 PM
I don't see Ryan being as greedy as a lot of other players. I bet we can get him back on the field for 3 mil. Just gonna have to make it a contract full of performance bonuses.

xbroughneck
02-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Obviously we'll lose something initially, but really, with Troy back there Ryan Mundy won't be much worse than Clark.

Draft either Thomas or Mays as an immediate safety backup to Troy and Mundy, and I'm good.

Chidi29
02-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Seems like a lot of people are putting their eggs in the Earl Thomas basket.

xbroughneck
02-25-2010, 04:54 PM

As a backup safety/eventual starter I'll take Mundy or Taylor Mays over what we currently have for a high price tag.

Ryan Clark went from being undrafted to making lots of money.

Ryan Mundy may have better physical tools than him, and I think both Earl Thomas and Taylor Mays will eventually have better tools than him. I appreciate what he did, but he's expendable IMHO.

Psyychoward86
02-25-2010, 05:37 PM

at least now this is all we have to worry about. The 2nd one, not so much

Psyychoward86
02-25-2010, 05:38 PM

that's where im putting my eggs, even if Clark stays

pete74
02-25-2010, 06:39 PM
ryan clark does not deserve top 10 money, period. we can draft a saftey in the 5th round that can probably play at the same level as him. he is definatly decent against the run but couldnt cover a center going out for a pass. i say let him walk if he wont sign for a reasonable amount because he is not top 10

Prok
02-25-2010, 09:12 PM

I've been debating in my mind over and over (i know, chance of short circuit). If i'm Colbert and Tomlin I place higher value on CB than S.

Troy automatically makes the S's we have better just by being next to them. What Troy cannot help improve is a DC scared to put the CB up in press coverage instead of playing him off 8 - 10 yards, giving easy yardage every time they throw it there.

Ok i'll settle for the DT/DE that can defeat 2 blockers and get to QB in under 2 seconds.

:wink02:

devilsdancefloor
02-25-2010, 09:29 PM
I've been debating in my mind over and over (i know, chance of short circuit). If i'm Colbert and Tomlin I place higher value on CB than S.

Troy automatically makes the S's we have better just by being next to them. What Troy cannot help improve is a DC scared to put the CB up in press coverage instead of playing him off 8 - 10 yards, giving easy yardage every time they throw it there.

Ok i'll settle for the DT/DE that can defeat 2 blockers and get to QB in under 2 seconds.

:wink02:

Our DC is a freaking genius! we had a "horrible" year as a deensive squad and we STILL where ranked top 5 man we are freaking spoiled. He is proven that his scheme works year in and out. We do not have the CB's to press. plus he puts the player in the right places to make plays.

xbroughneck
02-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Uhm, what are they doing with Tyrone Carter? He's the replaceable guy that I'm hoping a draft pick will fill the spot.

I mean come on people, Troy has a history of injury. Odds are he's going to miss a few games again next year.

I DO NOT WANT TYRONE CARTER AS HIS BACKUP.

tony hipchest
02-26-2010, 12:30 AM
Casey Hampton will probably want more money compare to his last contract.
Jeff Reed wants Janikowski money

Its looks to me like we will be losing a lot of experience

wrong... :coffee:

Let Clark and Hampton go.....Clark is not a great safety. He was only good because of Polamalu. Who wouldn't be good playing next to him. For Hampton, I can not see giving a 33 year old NT 7Mil a year. Our defense can plug in just about anybody in the middle with size and be successful. Face it our defense is getting old and we need some youth. Thomas or Mays in the 1st and then a NT or ILB in the second. I think signing Colon is more important.

wrong... :popcorn:

I don't see Ryan being as greedy as a lot of other players. I bet we can get him back on the field for 3 mil. Just gonna have to make it a contract full of performance bonuses.

:sofunny: ....even more wrong

ryan clark does not deserve top 10 money, period. we can draft a saftey in the 5th round that can probably play at the same level as him. he is definatly decent against the run but couldnt cover a center going out for a pass. i say let him walk if he wont sign for a reasonable amount because he is not top 10

possibly the most wrong... :hatsoff:

(keep in mind, the market isnt set by one fans opinion on a messageboard)

there is absolutely no 5th round rookie safety who will step in and deliver the same impact as ryan clark. thats a pipe dream.

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 12:57 AM
How the hell you figure I'm more wrong than a jackass who says let Snack and Clark walk. Besides if they got casey to settle for 21mil. Why wouldn't they be able to get Ryan back for 3mil. a season ? They will just have to provide a large signing bonus vetran players understand the importance of guarenteed money, because they know their time is limited.

supa_fly_steeler
02-26-2010, 01:00 AM
Oh Tony be quiet you know nothing what Clark wants you go around prancing on these forums as if you are the negotiations jesus of them all.

You are Most Wrong because hell we might get a fifth round safety that could turn into a hall of famer. Doesn't matter if he starts or not first season. What round was Hines Ward selected to replace our Receivers?????????? Wasn't it the fifth.

nikstar
02-26-2010, 03:25 AM
He's a hard hitting veteran safety,
Offer him a quality mid-sized deal, with bonuses...He's worth it

Galax Steeler
02-26-2010, 04:17 AM
that's where im putting my eggs, even if Clark stays

I am putting mine there as well.:thumbsup:

pete74
02-26-2010, 04:31 AM
wrong... :coffee:

wrong... :popcorn:

:sofunny: ....even more wrong

possibly the most wrong... :hatsoff:

(keep in mind, the market isnt set by one fans opinion on a messageboard)

there is absolutely no 5th round rookie safety who will step in and deliver the same impact as ryan clark. thats a pipe dream.

now that is an opinion of a fan. how do you know what a rookie is capable of? did you think the 6th round tom brady would turn into one of the best QB's of all time? doubtful. im guessing on my statement and you certainly are to

pete74
02-26-2010, 04:33 AM
[QUOTE=pete74;776517]now that is an opinion of a fan. how do you know what a rookie is capable of? did you think the 6th round tom brady would turn into one of the best QB's of all time? doubtful. im guessing on my statement and you certainly are to. you assume that no safty drafted in the 5th round can possibly be as good as the great Ryan Clark but lets face it, you have no clue nor do i.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-26-2010, 08:04 AM
If we draft a FS in the 1st mundy he better not be a Mundy back up as he should be much closer to the talent of Revis in the draft. Mundy has impressed me at all.
A first round pick should be able to step in, especially with troy back there with him.

steeldawg
02-26-2010, 08:36 AM
whos playing cb for us this year

Chidi29
02-26-2010, 10:53 AM
I am putting mine there as well.:thumbsup:

The issue with the draft is that since it takes so many different turns and no one knows how it'll play out, things that you hope happen rarely do. A lot of people, including myself, figured Alex Mack would be there at 32 last season. That proved not to be the case.

solardave
02-26-2010, 11:02 AM
I was at the AFC championship game and watched Clark knock McGayhee out but I still don't think he merits top money. What scares me is Mundy as the answer could be like Gay was last year. That could be a serious step backwards. After saying this I 'm pretty sure the FO knows what they're doing. With the exception of Rod Woodsen they rarely let someone go to soon. Iknow some of you might comment on B-Mac but look at the year he had. Not much of a loss IMHO. They found Clark to replace Hope and I believe they are already know who could replace Clark.

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 12:44 PM
whos playing cb for us this year

Ike and Nnamdi Asamough!