PDA

View Full Version : Reed wants Similar Deal to Raiders Kicker

supa_fly_steeler
02-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Jeff you are having a laugh go pack yo bags and go to Dallas or Washington you slimey scumbag asking for money you truly don't deserve who the hell do you think you are? Your ineffective on kickoffs you tackle worse than Cromartie and your accurate but that doesn't mean u get 9 million.

Al Davis when you fade away from the world not only Raider Nation will be happy

Reed is seeking a deal similar to what Sebastian Janikowski got from the Raiders — with $9 million guaranteed — and Hampton is one of four nose tackles very likely to be tagged by Thursday. On Monday, the Patriots placed the franchise tag on Vince Wilfork, and the 49ers did the same to Aubrayo Franklin on Wednesday. Both players were given the non-exclusive franchise tag, meaning they can be signed by another team, which would have to exchange two first-round draft picks in return.

This is the first year that teams can apply an extra tag, per the uncapped year. At this point, Pittsburgh appears to be the only team likely to use multiple tags.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/02/23/steelers-expected-to-tag-nt-hampton-k-reed/

SteelerFanInStl
02-24-2010, 09:09 AM
He won't get a Janikowski type deal from the Steelers. They'll tag him this year and then draft his replacement.

memphissteelergirl
02-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Like Santa Claus says in group therapy in that Diet Dr. Pepper commercial:

"Good luck with that one, Bub!!" :toofunny::rofl:

devilsdancefloor
02-24-2010, 09:31 AM
not gonna happen in the burgh buh bye jeff :wave:

AllD
02-24-2010, 10:00 AM
He needs to see Mr. Rourke on Fantasy Island for that deal.

supa_fly_steeler
02-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Reed can polish my shoes for extra cash that he does not need.

Maybe to pay off his fines

SteelMember
02-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Reed wants Similar Deal to Raiders Kicker...

:toofunny:

Ya, that's a good one... wow.

vrabinec
02-24-2010, 10:27 AM
I want a similar deal like that Bill Gates guy got. Hey, I work on computers too.

memphissteelergirl
02-24-2010, 11:11 AM
I don't want anyone to get me wrong here. I love Jeff, despite his frat boy antics. He's won a lot of games for us and has been a solid contributor. That said, there's is no way in h*** that the Rooneys are gonna pay out that kind of $$$$ for a kicker. Frankly I don't know of any NFL team that would, not counting that senile old fool in the Bay Area.

klick81
02-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Hahahaha!!! What IS he smoking???

SetTheTone10
02-24-2010, 11:44 AM
jeff reed can kick rocks... maybe he can go punch paper towel despensers somewhere else lol. i'll take a rookie kicker. it just will put more pressure on the offense to score touchdowns then relying on reeds leg lol

atlsteelers
02-24-2010, 11:49 AM
the steelers let a far better kicker than reed walk. gary anderson. i like reed and i think they should re up him but at the same time we signed reed midseason so many years ago and then he promptley beat jacksonville with his 4 kicks. who was that bum kicker he replaced after kris brown left town. some dude from kansas city. he stunk.

atlsteelers
02-24-2010, 11:50 AM
jeff reed can kick rocks... maybe he can go punch paper towel despensers somewhere else lol. i'll take a rookie kicker. it just will put more pressure on the offense to score touchdowns then relying on reeds leg lol

if we let reed walk we might not score any points with the redzone offense we had last year.

fansince'76
02-24-2010, 11:53 AM
who was that bum kicker he replaced after kris brown left town. some dude from kansas city. he stunk.

Todd Peterson and agreed, he sucked ass.

atlsteelers
02-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Todd Peterson and agreed, he sucked ass.

the nightmare of todd peterson is driving my desire to see the steelers resign reed.

AllD
02-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Dont we have his replacement set Piotr Czech!

Czech is not accurate beyond 40 yards. No way he can kick in the NFL. We would be better off drafting the best kicker available in the draft.

steelreserve
02-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Yeah, good luck getting that money from anyone, Jeff. Didn't anyone tell you that only the Raiders give out idiotic deals like that, and they already have a kicker?

Honestly, I don't even know if we need to tag him. We might as well, since it won't hurt the cap ... but really, we could always 1) Sign Shayne Graham for less money than that, 2) Draft that guy from Michigan State, or 3) Take our chances with Czech. But seriously, I'm perfectly comfortable with any of those -- no matter how good your kicker was, if he turns into an unhappy diva headcase, that's just as much of a roll of the dice as any of the other options.

If there's anyone left who's seriously thinking about the no-holds-barred, break-the-bank approach to hold on to him, they really need to get over this Reed-or-nothing paranoia.

- No, the next kicker is not likely to be the next Kris Brown or Todd Peterson.
- No, not everyone other than Reed is a choke artist waiting to happen.
- No, a sample size of perhaps 20 kicks from this year's playoffs matters for exactly dick in that respect.
- Yes, other people are capable of kicking in bad weather.
- Yes, other people can learn how to kick at Heinz Field.
- No, you do not keep Reed while you "break in" someone else. It's a clean break. Unlike other positions, you do not use two roster spots on the goddamn kicker.

supa_fly_steeler
02-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Yeah, good luck getting that money from anyone, Jeff. Didn't anyone tell you that only the Raiders give out idiotic deals like that, and they already have a kicker?

Honestly, I don't even know if we need to tag him. We might as well, since it won't hurt the cap ... but really, we could always 1) Sign Shayne Graham for less money than that, 2) Draft that guy from Michigan State, or 3) Take our chances with Czech. But seriously, I'm perfectly comfortable with any of those -- no matter how good your kicker was, if he turns into an unhappy diva headcase, that's just as much of a roll of the dice as any of the other options.

If there's anyone left who's seriously thinking about the no-holds-barred, break-the-bank approach to hold on to him, they really need to get over this Reed-or-nothing paranoia.

- No, the next kicker is not likely to be the next Kris Brown or Todd Peterson.
- No, not everyone other than Reed is a choke artist waiting to happen.
- No, a sample size of perhaps 20 kicks from this year's playoffs matters for exactly dick in that respect.
- Yes, other people are capable of kicking in bad weather.
- Yes, other people can learn how to kick at Heinz Field.
- No, you do not keep Reed while you "break in" someone else. It's a clean break. Unlike other positions, you do not use two roster spots on the goddamn kicker.

whos the michigan state kicker.

Sign the Cheatriots kicker or Vinaterri for a season if they hit da market

SteelerFanInStl
02-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Dallas would probably give Reed that kind of a contract and they already have someone to kick off. Reed would be money kicking there.

MasterOfPuppets
02-24-2010, 01:34 PM
they should tell reed when his kicking overall matches janikowski's, then he can ask for janikowski money. reed was at the bottom of the league when it came to kickoff distance and touchbacks... averaging a measily 59.8 in KO's ( Janikowski 65.8 ) with 3.7 % TB's.( Janikowski 29.3 )
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=KICKING&season=2009&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go

50+
JANIKOWSKI 6 / 8 ....LONG 61 YDS
REED .............0 / 2 ...LONG 46 YDS

Nadroj 20
02-24-2010, 02:10 PM

Sign the Cheatriots kicker or Vinaterri for a season if they hit da market

Brett Swenson

Here are is career totals: http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=190570

steelreserve
02-24-2010, 02:22 PM

That's exactly the guy I was thinking of, and apparently the front office has already been scouting him. Wouldn't mind it if we used a fifth-round pick on him instead of some random practice-squad-if-we're-lucky guy.

Otherwise, out of FAs, I'm pretty sure Graham is available for less than Reed wants, and despite all the OMG :willy: going around about him because of the one bad game, I really don't think that indicates anything about how good he is.

Northside Jonny
02-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Dont blame Jeffro for wanting more money. Blame that stupid ass living corpse Al Davis for overpaying and raising the salary for kickers. Jeff is just being a smart businessman. Why ask for less when you've got two rings on your hand and another guy who really hasn't done anything is getting more Jack($$).

steelreserve
02-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Dont blame Jeffro for wanting more money. Blame that stupid ass living corpse Al Davis for overpaying and raising the salary for kickers. Jeff is just being a smart businessman. Why ask for less when you've got two rings on your hand and another guy who really hasn't done anything is getting more Jack($$).

A smart businessman would realize that Al Davis lives in his own separate reality, and what he does has no bearing on what constitutes fair market value. Only the Raiders hand out contracts like that.

Asking a non-idiot team to hand out an idiot contract is asking for the transition tag, or for them to release you and say "good luck with that." Smart business sense indeed. More like being too pushy because you got excited and forgot that you did NOT have the leverage you wished you did.

Northside Jonny
02-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Brett Swenson

Here are is career totals: http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=190570

Swenson is good, but IMO Hunter Lawrence from Texas has a kicking stlye that is much more condusive to the pro game. Swenson kicks the ball lower to the D line , Lawrence has much more pop to his kicks and gets the ball up over the line higher. I also think Lawrence has a stronger leg wich will solve all this short kickoff stuff. Check out this clutch kick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33y0dd0XDgw

Northside Jonny
02-24-2010, 03:43 PM
A smart businessman would realize that Al Davis lives in his own separate reality, and what he does has no bearing on what constitutes fair market value. Only the Raiders hand out contracts like that.

Asking a non-idiot team to hand out an idiot contract is asking for the transition tag, or for them to release you and say "good luck with that." Smart business sense indeed. More like being too pushy because you got excited and forgot that you did NOT have the leverage you wished you did.

So your saying you would do the same job as someone else whom you are better than and ask for less $ than that person? My friend that is just idiotic! I never said the steelers should give him more than Seabass I was stating that it would be really stupid to ask for less $$$ when you have better credentials than the other guy.

supa_fly_steeler
02-24-2010, 04:26 PM
i dont care who we get as long as isn't such a twat like Jeff Reed is and demands the type of money that casues Dan Rooney to have brain farts

steelreserve
02-24-2010, 04:44 PM
So your saying you would do the same job as someone else whom you are better than and ask for less $ than that person? My friend that is just idiotic! I never said the steelers should give him more than Seabass I was stating that it would be really stupid to ask for less $$$ when you have better credentials than the other guy.

Let's just say that if I was doing the same job as another person ... but that other person happened to work for Google and I worked at U.S. Steel, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that my counterpart got a $100,000 bonus for no reason and I didn't. I also know that if I went to my boss and said, "Well, the guy doing my job at Google just got a huge raise, so therefore you should double my salary too," he'd probably tell me to GTFO.

Maybe Google isn't the best example, since they have money to spend because they're successful, whereas the Raiders spend a lot because they're out-and-out stupid. But the point is, if Reed is comparing his own situation to an insane Raider contract, it's apples and oranges, and if you're in his situation, you CANNOT play dumb and pretend you don't know that. It's insulting everyone's intelligence to do so, and if he gets told to take a hike, I'd say it's completely justified.

Plus, I don't even think Reed is worth top-five money if you ignored the Janikowski contract. He's a more accurate kicker than most, but he definitely has his shortcomings (e.g. kickoffs, long field goals) that I'd be glad to see an upgrade over. This nonsense is based on him thinking he has us over a barrel when he really doesn't.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Dont think so... NO WAY NO HOW

steelerdude15
02-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Sorry Jeff, but theres no way your going to get as much money as Janikowski. He's been a great kicker for the Steelers, but he can't kick the ball as long as he used to and he hasn't even tried to make some tackles... Plus, he's gotten into league trouble. If you do leave, hopefully you'll do good where ever you go!

HometownGal
02-24-2010, 05:09 PM
[B]Jeff you are having a laugh go pack yo bags and go to Dallas or Washington you slimey scumbag asking for money you truly don't deserve who the hell do you think you are?

Who the hell does he think he is? One of the best FG and clutch kickers in the league that's who. So - Reed is now a "slimey scumbag" because he wants paid as much as a K who couldn't wipe Reed's hiney? While I agree that no PK should make that kind of cash, Jeff Reed is more than entitled to a decent raise over what he is currently being paid by the Steelers. I don't blame him one bit for trying to get the most he can get in light of the contract and guaranteed cash a PK who is far, far inferior to Reed got.

Your ineffective on kickoffs

It wouldn't be all that noticeable if we had a ST's unit that could actually make and/or finish a tackle. There isn't a PK in the entire NFL who consistently kicks the pigskin into the EZ on kickoffs. :banging:

you tackle worse than Cromartie

He's not paid to tackle.

and your accurate but that doesn't mean u get 9 million.

No - it means he gets paid for what he does better than just about any PK in the league - put 3 points on the board when they are needed - especially in clutch situations and the playoffs.

I say if the two sides can't reach an agreement - tag him and keep working on a mutually agreeable number. I'd hate to lose him, as there isn't any other PK out there I'd want wearing the B & G.

Psyychoward86
02-24-2010, 05:40 PM
Go to hell Al!

LVSteelersfan
02-24-2010, 06:03 PM
Al Davis is an idiot and Jeff Reed is not worth being paid one of the higher salaries on the Steelers team. I don't think he is worth the $3mil he wanted last year so certainly he is not worth $9mil. That is ludicrous and he will not be getting it. Thanks to Al they have to factor in the Seabass salary into the top 5 highest paid kickers in the league so a franchise tag pays Reed more than he is worth as well. I have said all along I am ambivalent about a kicker who gives us absolutely horrid field position because the returners get a running start running out to the 10 or 15 yard line to catch his pathetic kicks. There is no way the ST players can get down there in position fast enough to keep the returner inside the 30 yard line. If they franchise him for a year, so be it. But if they let him go, I could care less. He is going to have to be replaced eventually.

steelreserve
02-24-2010, 06:16 PM
It wouldn't be all that noticeable if we had a ST's unit that could actually make and/or finish a tackle. There isn't a PK in the entire NFL who consistently kicks the pigskin into the EZ on kickoffs. :banging:

On the flip side, I don't think there's a PK in the entire NFL whose kickoffs land on the wrong side of the 10-yard line as consistently as Reed.

No - it means he gets paid for what he does better than just about any PK in the league - put 3 points on the board when they are needed - especially in clutch situations and the playoffs.

Would've bought that a year ago, but after the Chicago game ... meh. No, that's not throwing him under the bus based on one game. That's just a wake-up call that yes, Reed is capable of messing up just like every other kicker, and you don't need to treat him like he's in some special "super-kicker" category where you ignore his screw-ups and ignore his weaknesses just because he's not Kris Brown.

I mean ... Janikowski is a kicker who "couldn't wipe Reed's hiney?" Seriously? Do you know how much of a homer statement that sounds like? If you were being realistic about it, you'd see it as a sideways move, just like it'd be to hire any of about a dozen other kickers.

Add into the mix that if we re-sign Reed, we now have a diva kicker in a position that's 90% mental, and I'm inclined to just move on if he can't be reasonable. It is not worth this amount of trouble over the goddamn kicker.

Basically, I'll see your :banging: and raise you a
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f370/capt_taco/kool-aid.jpg

Northside Jonny
02-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Let's just say that if I was doing the same job as another person ... but that other person happened to work for Google and I worked at U.S. Steel, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that my counterpart got a $100,000 bonus for no reason and I didn't. I also know that if I went to my boss and said, "Well, the guy doing my job at Google just got a huge raise, so therefore you should double my salary too," he'd probably tell me to GTFO.

Maybe Google isn't the best example, since they have money to spend because they're successful, whereas the Raiders spend a lot because they're out-and-out stupid. But the point is, if Reed is comparing his own situation to an insane Raider contract, it's apples and oranges, and if you're in his situation, you CANNOT play dumb and pretend you don't know that. It's insulting everyone's intelligence to do so, and if he gets told to take a hike, I'd say it's completely justified.

Plus, I don't even think Reed is worth top-five money if you ignored the Janikowski contract. He's a more accurate kicker than most, but he definitely has his shortcomings (e.g. kickoffs, long field goals) that I'd be glad to see an upgrade over. This nonsense is based on him thinking he has us over a barrel when he really doesn't.

Well then I guess I would go and apply at Google! LOL :chuckle: But regardless of stats I still believe that Reed has better cridentials than Seabass. Like it or not two championship rings is a pretty strong bargaining chip.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Swenson is good, but IMO Hunter Lawrence from Texas has a kicking stlye that is much more condusive to the pro game. Swenson kicks the ball lower to the D line , Lawrence has much more pop to his kicks and gets the ball up over the line higher. I also think Lawrence has a stronger leg wich will solve all this short kickoff stuff. Check out this clutch kick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33y0dd0XDgw

I agree. The knock on Swenson is that he doesnt have a strong leg on kickoffs.

What about Leigh Tiffin from Bama?? Either way, if Reed gets tagged....do we really want an unhappy kicker on the team any more than an unhappy NT. You just know he is gonna avoid getting inured and not tackle anybody. :rofl:

43Hitman
02-24-2010, 06:55 PM
I agree. The knock on Swenson is that he doesnt have a strong leg on kickoffs.

What about Leigh Tiffin from Bama?? Either way, if Reed gets tagged....do we really want an unhappy kicker on the team any more than an unhappy NT. You just know he is gonna avoid getting inured and not tackle anybody. :rofl:

Please no. I watched a lot of Bama games this year and saw him miss a number of makable FG's and XP's.

steelreserve
02-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Well then I guess I would go and apply at Google! LOL :chuckle: But regardless of stats I still believe that Reed has better cridentials than Seabass. Like it or not two championship rings is a pretty strong bargaining chip.

By that logic, pretty much everyone on our entire team should be getting paid top-five money, which as you know, isn't possible.

Anyway, my point is, Reed wants an insane Raider contract, he should go apply with the Raiders. He wants what he's worth, he should apply at any of the other 31 teams. If one of them is dumb enough to give him that much, well, good for him.

Notice that after the Raiders gave Nnamdi Asafasfsafdaasfsafasdfdsafa $15 million a year, other cornerbacks didn't suddenly start demanding that. Other punters aren't demanding $3 million a year. Reed cannot seriously think everyone else is so naive that he can put one over on us based on what the Raiders do. It's a pretty shameless tactic, in fact.

Northside Jonny
02-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Please no. I watched a lot of Bama games this year and saw him miss a number of makable FG's and XP's.

Agreed I would take Swenson over Tiffin. But the best PK in the draft IMO is by far Hunter Lawrence of Texas.

HometownGal
02-24-2010, 07:02 PM
On the flip side, I don't think there's a PK in the entire NFL whose kickoffs land on the wrong side of the 10-yard line as consistently as Reed.

Would've bought that a year ago, but after the Chicago game ... meh. No, that's not throwing him under the bus based on one game. That's just a wake-up call that yes, Reed is capable of messing up just like every other kicker, and you don't need to treat him like he's in some special "super-kicker" category where you ignore his screw-ups and ignore his weaknesses just because he's not Kris Brown.

I mean ... Janikowski is a kicker who "couldn't wipe Reed's hiney?" Seriously? Do you know how much of a homer statement that sounds like? If you were being realistic about it, you'd see it as a sideways move, just like it'd be to hire any of about a dozen other kickers.

Add into the mix that if we re-sign Reed, we now have a diva kicker in a position that's 90% mental, and I'm inclined to just move on if he can't be reasonable. It is not worth this amount of trouble over the goddamn kicker.

SR - I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you about this. You have your opinion and I have mine and neither of us is going to alter our stances which is A-OK. :drink: I don't give a rat's patoot if I come across sounding like a homer - the proof of Jeff Reed's abilities and overall successes as the Steelers PK is in the puddin'.

I'll see your pitcher of Kool Aid and raise you a . . . . . . ummmm . . . . nevermind. :chuckle:

pancake
02-24-2010, 07:10 PM
We put up with his off the field crap, so he should meet us in the middle somewhere...

With that said I hope we lock him up for a long time.

pete74
02-24-2010, 07:27 PM
reed is a decent kicker and thats hard to find at our field but he is definatly not worth big bucks. i would take raiders kicker as well as at least 5 others over reed anyday. his leg strength is a major liability in my mind

Northside Jonny
02-24-2010, 07:28 PM
We put up with his off the field crap, so he should meet us in the middle somewhere...

With that said I hope we lock him up for a long time.

I could care less about the off the field crap! It's not like he killed someone! All I want is a guy who is a good teamate and shows up sundays! Especially when the game is on the line, like Mr. Reed usually does.

Chidi29
02-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Using other contracts as a starting point for another players deal is an extremely common business move, especially when it comes to figuring out rookie contracts.

Should a long-term deal get done, Reed won't get Janikowski money. I'm sure he and his agent realize that. But it doesn't mean you shouldn't start high and work your way down.

Northside Jonny
02-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Using other contracts as a starting point for another players deal is an extremely common business move, especially when it comes to figuring out rookie contracts.

Should a long-term deal get done, Reed won't get Janikowski money. I'm sure he and his agent realize that. But it doesn't mean you shouldn't start high and work your way down.

Thank you Chidi I couldn't have said it better if I wanted to.

X-Terminator
02-24-2010, 08:33 PM

There are PKs who don't kick off at all because they don't get the distance on kickoffs that teams want, so they use a roster spot that could go to another position player on another kicker just to kick off. And besides, why the hell should it matter how far the kickoffs go? Isn't it the job of the rest of the ST unit to make the tackle? Seems that gets lost every time this conversation comes up. I didn't see anyone bitching about Reed's kickoffs in 2008 when they allowed the fewest yards per return in the league.

Yeah, someone who would rather keep Reed rather than bring in another kicker who may not be anywhere near as good at kicking at Heinz Field is seen as a "homer" and a "Kool-Aid drinker." Nice. It's also amazing that no one had ONE word to say about Reed when he was making clutch kicks, and now all of a sudden, after one bad game and a couple of missed tackles, he should be run out of town on a rail. I know some of you don't like to hear this, but it's the typical "what have you done for me lately" fan mentality on display.

I don't know why you and so many others think that you can just plug any kicker in and he'll automatically be as good as Reed has been, especially after going through so many kickers after Gary Anderson left town before finally and literally picking him up off the farm. We have a guy who has mastered Heinz. We have a guy who has been clutch throughout his career, especially when it has counted the most. Is he worth a $9 million signing bonus? Probably not, but that doesn't mean everything shouldn't be done to try to keep him here. It absolutely should. I'd rather go with the known commodity over the unknown in a position that can lose you games.

Galax Steeler
02-25-2010, 04:36 AM
Agreed I would take Swenson over Tiffin. But the best PK in the draft IMO is by far Hunter Lawrence of Texas.

So if we decide to go this route what round would we be looking at getting him.

steelreserve
02-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Yeah, someone who would rather keep Reed rather than bring in another kicker who may not be anywhere near as good at kicking at Heinz Field is seen as a "homer" and a "Kool-Aid drinker." Nice. It's also amazing that no one had ONE word to say about Reed when he was making clutch kicks, and now all of a sudden, after one bad game and a couple of missed tackles, he should be run out of town on a rail. I know some of you don't like to hear this, but it's the typical "what have you done for me lately" fan mentality on display.

I'm not saying it's a "homer" or "Kool-Aid drinker" mentality to want to keep Reed. I'm saying it's a homer or Kool-Aid drinker mentality to want to keep no matter what the cost. I am rapidly approaching the point where the cost and benefit are evening out.

I don't know why you and so many others think that you can just plug any kicker in and he'll automatically be as good as Reed has been, especially after going through so many kickers after Gary Anderson left town before finally and literally picking him up off the farm. We have a guy who has mastered Heinz. We have a guy who has been clutch throughout his career, especially when it has counted the most. Is he worth a $9 million signing bonus? Probably not, but that doesn't mean everything shouldn't be done to try to keep him here. It absolutely should. I'd rather go with the known commodity over the unknown in a position that can lose you games.

You don't need to be as good as Reed. Just pretty good. There are plenty of kickers out there who are good enough, and plenty of other NFL teams have no trouble finding ones who are adequate, so I see no reason why we can't, other than we're still hiding in fear over Kris Brown. Time to get over that; Reed can't hold our hand forever.

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 10:27 PM
So if we decide to go this route what round would we be looking at getting him.

I would not take a kicker any earlier than the 5th round ,any later for a kicker of Lawrence's ability would be awsome. Here is a link http://sidelinescouting.net/rankings/k.shtml Looks to me like he is the most accurate of the kickers listed.

X-Terminator
02-27-2010, 12:30 AM
I'm not saying it's a "homer" or "Kool-Aid drinker" mentality to want to keep Reed. I'm saying it's a homer or Kool-Aid drinker mentality to want to keep no matter what the cost. I am rapidly approaching the point where the cost and benefit are evening out.

You don't need to be as good as Reed. Just pretty good. There are plenty of kickers out there who are good enough, and plenty of other NFL teams have no trouble finding ones who are adequate, so I see no reason why we can't, other than we're still hiding in fear over Kris Brown. Time to get over that; Reed can't hold our hand forever.

Of course eventually they are going to need another kicker. Reed can't kick forever. The point I and others are trying to make is why do they need to find another one right now, when they already have a reliable kicker on the roster? Let's cross that road when they come to it. I don't think it's necessary right now.

As for the cost, hey, that's Al Davis' fault, not Jeff Reed's. The Steelers may have been able to sign him for a little less than $3 million per season, but because Crazy Al has lost his mind and gave Janikowski that ridiculous contract and signing bonus, it's now going to take more than that to keep him long-term. And I still think they should pay it. Reed is one of the best in the business at what he does, and if you want one of the best, you have to pay for it, plain and simple.

BlockMonsta
02-27-2010, 01:07 AM
No.

steelreserve
02-27-2010, 02:53 AM
Of course eventually they are going to need another kicker. Reed can't kick forever. The point I and others are trying to make is why do they need to find another one right now, when they already have a reliable kicker on the roster? Let's cross that road when they come to it. I don't think it's necessary right now.

As for the cost, hey, that's Al Davis' fault, not Jeff Reed's. The Steelers may have been able to sign him for a little less than $3 million per season, but because Crazy Al has lost his mind and gave Janikowski that ridiculous contract and signing bonus, it's now going to take more than that to keep him long-term. And I still think they should pay it. Reed is one of the best in the business at what he does, and if you want one of the best, you have to pay for it, plain and simple.

All good points. ANd for the record, I'm not in any particular hurry to get Reed out the door either; I'm glad we have him for at least this coming year. The uncapped part helps a lot with that. But what I do not want is:

1) Kicker contract drama
2) Kicker drama turning him into a headcase
3) Paying the kicker so much that you lose a guy like Holmes or Woodley when they do reinstate the salary cap

If we can figure out a way around all three of those things -- like we did with Hampton -- then I could not be happier. But I really see it headed that way, and if we cannot get ourselves out of a messy situation, I think we need to be ready to make that decision. Some folks just can't handle the idea of cutting the cord if it came down to it. That's about all. We're good.

steel striker
02-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Well I don't see the steelers give Reed the big bucks like davis gave SJ. Normally Reed is a very solid kicker and, some of you have forgot that kick at Hines field is not a walk in the park. Just ask Kris Brown I'll never forget those kicks he missed vs the rats. This year Reed had one bad game and, most of you lost your mind. I hope we are able to work something out with Reed.

chonba
02-28-2010, 10:26 PM
Itís insanity that they are paying these kickers this much money.

HometownGal
03-01-2010, 08:04 AM
It’s insanity that they are paying these kickers this much money.

Why? Kickers are just as valuable to the team as any other positional players and are often called upon to kick a game winning FG.

pete74
03-01-2010, 08:16 AM
true kickers are just as important and they win or lose alot of games every year but there still alot different then an offensive or defensive player. there not getting hammered 20-30 times a game and dont have to worry about getting a hard hit every week that could end your carear. i agree they definatly are important but in a much different aspect. rb's are training there ass off 6 days a week so they can go out there on sundays and destroy there bodies but still get up and walk away. they know every game could possibly be there last and by the time they hit 30 there body will be so worn down that there carears will be virtually over

HometownGal
03-01-2010, 12:22 PM
true kickers are just as important and they win or lose alot of games every year but there still alot different then an offensive or defensive player. there not getting hammered 20-30 times a game and dont have to worry about getting a hard hit every week that could end your carear. i agree they definatly are important but in a much different aspect.

Sure there's a difference as far as physical contact goes, but PK's and P's, are, imho, as much of a key element to a team. I'm not saying they should be paid gazillions as other members of the team are, but they should be compensated much better than they currently are across the board (with the ludicrous contract Janikowski was given being the exception).

rb's are training there ass off 6 days a week so they can go out there on sundays and destroy there bodies but still get up and walk away. they know every game could possibly be there last and by the time they hit 30 there body will be so worn down that there carears will be virtually over

You don't think PK's and P's train their asses off too? Ever see Skippy and DSep shirtless or the muscle marathons going on in their legs and thighs? :jawdrop: While players in those positions aren't as much at risk for injury because of NFL rules, they certainly aren't immune from season or career ending injury. Hell - some around here think PK's should launch themselves like torpedos (risking injury to their legs) at opposing teams' return men that the rest of the players on ST's have failed to grab. :banging: :chuckle:

43Hitman
03-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Well imo if you want to be considered a football player, then you need to play with reckless abandon just like the rest of the team.

HometownGal
03-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Well imo if you want to be considered a football player, then you need to play with reckless abandon just like the rest of the team.

I agree a tad, but when a player (or in this case a unit whose job it is to tackle a returner) isn't doing his job, he shouldn't rely on someone else to do it for him (them).

43Hitman
03-01-2010, 02:40 PM
I agree a tad, but when a player (or in this case a unit whose job it is to tackle a returner) isn't doing his job, he shouldn't rely on someone else to do it for him (them).

I agree that you shouldn't have to rely on someone else to do your job for you. As long as there is effort to help the guy or unit out when it's needed. By the way, I'm not implying the effort wasn't there sometimes. Because to some extent I feel it was. It is/was just unnerving to watch those returns week after week.

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Jeff could of done better on the tackling though, i except the percy harvin thing because he would of never caught him but he cornered bernard scott on the sideline and just let him past.

pete74
03-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Jeff could of done better on the tackling though, i except the percy harvin thing because he would of never caught him but he cornered bernard scott on the sideline and just let him past.

yea that one had me really pissed. he is a football player and should do whatever necessary to help your team win. he could of just held him for a second until someone got there if he didnt want to get dirty. LOL

HometownGal
03-01-2010, 03:00 PM
I agree that you shouldn't have to rely on someone else to do your job for you. As long as there is effort to help the guy or unit out when it's needed. By the way, I'm not implying the effort wasn't there sometimes. Because to some extent I feel it was. It is/was just unnerving to watch those returns week after week.

Oh I totally agree - it was very frustrating, but my point here is that if the other 10 guys on the unit do what they are paid to do (as Reed is primarly paid to put PAT's and 3 points on the board when needed), Reed never encounters the return man. :drink:

I'm really hoping Everest can shake up and shape up that unit this season. :hope:

43Hitman
03-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Oh I totally agree - it was very frustrating, but my point here is that if the other 10 guys on the unit do what they are paid to do (as Reed is primarly paid to put PAT's and 3 points on the board when needed), Reed never encounters the return man. :drink:
True

I'm really hoping Everest can shake up and shape up that unit this season. :hope:

Me too.

Northside Jonny
03-01-2010, 04:10 PM

Would you agree that everyone on ST was a little to relaxed this year?

43Hitman
03-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Would you agree that everyone on ST was a little to relaxed this year?

To me it just seemed they took for granted all the head way they made the previous year. While that year it wasn't stop the presses good, but it was an improvement over the previous years. They just looked undisciplined a lot of the time. Hopefully, like HTG said, Everest can fix all of that this year.