PDA

View Full Version : If the skins release ARE

BigBen'sSwagger
02-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Heard a rumor on ESPN that they are expecting ARE to be released.If they do how do ya'll feel about us picking him up again?

He could be our returner/reciever/slash once again and he would be an upgrade at returner and could be our #4 reciever. We could cut Sweed and Stephan Logan.

I know he left for a bigger paycheck, but I feel in his heart he was still a Steeler, and if you look back at his interviews in the last Superbowl he was beaming just as much as our own players.

supa_fly_steeler
02-24-2010, 09:40 AM
no he turned his back to us and asked for more money.

asshole can go trembling to Dallas.

Godfather
02-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Our money would be better spent elsewhere. We have a lot more short and long term needs on defense.

BigBen'sSwagger
02-24-2010, 10:16 AM
I guess my point was we could cut two positions Sweed and Logan and replace them with ARE freeing up more money and improving both our return game and our receiving game. ARE as #4.

SteelMember
02-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Our money would be better spent elsewhere. We have a lot more short and long term needs on defense.
:thumbsup:

Problem was, Twan wanted #1 WR money to be the #3 slot man. The skins overpaid and found that out for themselves. No suprise there. That's what they do.

He was a very good as the #3, but I don't recall his return skills being that great. :hunch:

...but for the vet minimum :scratchchin: :chuckle:

I'd take him over the aged Joey Galloway.

Shoes
02-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Logan made KR's exciting again and he will play a part in O this year. He's going nowhere IMO.

steelpride12
02-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Logan was actually a success at the return position and I see him to be used just as much this season, he was not far off from taking one to the house.

KJSteeler77
02-24-2010, 11:11 AM
I would like to see him come back... he is very versatile and i would not mind seeing him as our #4 WR

memphissteelergirl
02-24-2010, 11:20 AM

Problem was, Twan wanted #1 WR money to be the #3 slot man. The skins overpaid and found that out for themselves. No suprise there. That's what they do.

He was a very good as the #3, but I don't recall his return skills being that great. :hunch:

This. :drink:

atlsteelers
02-24-2010, 11:54 AM
i would take him back. as rooney told randle when he left once your a steeler your always a steeler. can not fault randle for going after the big check. I would imagine that somebody else will pick him up to make him a number 3 wr.

fansince'76
02-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Problem was, Twan wanted #1 WR money to be the #3 slot man. The skins grossly overpaid and found that out for themselves. No suprise there. That's what they do, and it's one of the main reasons they've sucked ass more years than not during the Dan Snyder Era.

Fixed that for ya. :thumbsup:

SteelMember
02-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Fixed that for ya. :thumbsup:

:laughing: very true.

If someone wanted to pay me 3-4x for the same job I do now...

I'd sign the papers in a heartbeat. And run before they changed their mind.

Dino 6 Rings
02-24-2010, 12:21 PM
I have a question, how often do we bring back real Vets that left for more money?

I know we bring back the guy we cut in the off season, or put on the practice squad, and bring that type of player back when we have an injury or something, but when is the last time a Steeler Player actually left for more money somewhere, then came back to the Steelers later on to finish out their carreer? Did Chad Brown do that? Did we sign him a couple years back like 2006? Think we might have when he was on the way down in his career, anyway, I don't see the Steelers doing that, I see them "Moving On" and Staying Moved On.

steelreserve
02-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Somehow, I don't think he'd be interested in taking a demotion and a pay cut at the same time. The #4 receiver hardly plays in our system. Most systems, in fact. Which is also why I don't think we'd be interested in offering him much. We also don't exactly have a need for him.

My personal bet is that he goes to Miami with some half-assed plan to involve him in all that Wildcat shit.

SteelMember
02-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Dino, I think you're right about Chad.

Although, I think we brought him in mid season because of injuries and he ended up going to the *cheats the following year... then retiring. I think he only played a couple games there.

Dino 6 Rings
02-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure once a player decides to "divorce" the Steelers, we don't bring them back. We could have tried with Rod after his single year in San Fran before he went to Baltimore, but we didn't.

OneForTheToe
02-24-2010, 12:37 PM
I always like ARE. Still, at this point, he is not a better receiver than Mike Wallace and probably not a better returner than Logan. To me we don't need him. Also, he is not going to be playing for the league minimum, so he will probably want more money than Logan and Sweed combined, neither of whom are making that much.

SteelerFanInStl
02-24-2010, 01:10 PM
He wouldn't be anything more than the #4 WR for the Steelers and I like Logan better in the return game. There's no room for him.

BigBen'sSwagger
02-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Could be wrong but wasn't Eason on our team left for leaveland and came back? Forgot about Chad but yeah he was a bandaid when we needed him. Willie Williams came back about the same time as Chad. We also brought back James Harrison even though he didn't leave for greener pastures. I know these are only a few names but we have done it.

I agree he aint better than Wallace and Holmes but doesn't Santonio have a contract coming up? Not saying we won't resign Santonio but if we can't would be good to have someone in reserve.

Besides everyone who has his Jersey could wear it again. LOL

it is interesting to think about the possibilities.

mulldog24
02-24-2010, 02:40 PM
I really liked ARE while he was here and would very much welcome him back as a Steeler. I'll allways remember that big SB XL touchdown pass to Hines! I like ARE's versitility in that there are alot of things he can still do to help a team.

Northside Jonny
02-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Sorry but it would just be money wasted. Arains already has no idea how to utilize the talent he has. Adding Twan would cost to much and just give dumbass Bruce one more player to under utilize.

Gnutella
02-24-2010, 05:19 PM
I was never a fan of Antwaan Randle El to begin with. For every big punt return he had, he had five where he'd catch the ball at the 25-yard line, and then get tackled at the 12-yard line after trying to outrun everybody to the other side of the field. He's too much of a hot dog too. Remember when he caught that long pass against the Patriots in 2005, and then he blindly lateraled it to Hines Ward inside the New England 20-yard line, even though Ward was trying to block somebody at the time? Yeah, he gave the ball back to the Patriots instead, and we lost that game by three.

steelerdude15
02-24-2010, 05:26 PM
He wouldn't be anything more than the #4 WR for the Steelers and I like Logan better in the return game. There's no room for him.
:iagree:

NJarhead
02-24-2010, 05:26 PM
As much as I loved Randel El, he's a few years older now and as someone else said, "our money could be better spent elsewhere."

Chidi29
02-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Could be wrong but wasn't Eason on our team left for leaveland and came back? Forgot about Chad but yeah he was a bandaid when we needed him. Willie Williams came back about the same time as Chad. We also brought back James Harrison even though he didn't leave for greener pastures. I know these are only a few names but we have done it.

I thought it was Orpheus Roye.

devilsdancefloor
02-24-2010, 07:31 PM
i still have flashes of ARE trying to lateral to hines like on the 5 yard line against the pats and hines wasnt looking for the ball & the pats recovered the ball. We brought back roye & eason was a donkeys draft pick, but only played a year there before moving to the stains

86WARD
02-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Randle El is on the downside of his career...if he came dirt cheap maybe but he'd be a #4 receiver at best. He's not passing Holmes, Ward or Wallace on the depth chart...ever.

BigBen'sSwagger
02-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Yeah you are right it was Roye my bust.

Totally agree that he would not pass up any of our current set of top 3 recievers and wouldn't trade any of em so only at a cheap price and only as #4. Would be nice to have him as insurance.

Cinnjerm
02-24-2010, 10:12 PM
I always like ARE. Still, at this point, he is not a better receiver than Mike Wallace and probably not a better returner than Logan. To me we don't need him. Also, he is not going to be playing for the league minimum, so he will probably want more money than Logan and Sweed combined, neither of whom are making that much.

Co-sign and /thread.

lionslicer
02-25-2010, 12:28 AM

I've seen Joey play in Tampa Bay, and he looked faster, quicker, and overrall waaayyyy better than Twan is or ever was... who hasn't had a big return since 2006.

SteelersMongol
02-25-2010, 02:12 AM
Looks like 2009 wasn't good year 4 him. So maybe yeah, he's on his downside. Do V want him? Yes, but do V need him? NO. So it's basically up 2 him whether he wants 2 play couple years with us 4 fewer bucks & retire as B&G or just go somewhere else. He did make his money while he was in Washington so he could really come.

It would B so much fun 2 have Joey & ARE coming back 4 small check & retire as Steelers player.

Borski
02-25-2010, 02:51 AM
Heard a rumor on ESPN that they are expecting ARE to be released.If they do how do ya'll feel about us picking him up again?

He could be our returner/reciever/slash once again and he would be an upgrade at returner and could be our #4 reciever. We could cut Sweed and Stephan Logan.

I know he left for a bigger paycheck, but I feel in his heart he was still a Steeler, and if you look back at his interviews in the last Superbowl he was beaming just as much as our own players.

Whats with so many people wanting to get rid of Stephen Logan? He did really good for us this year

He had 3rd in the league with total return yards with 1,466, I don't think that's very bad

Galax Steeler
02-25-2010, 04:31 AM
Whats with so many people wanting to get rid of Stephen Logan? He did really good for us this year

He had 3rd in the league with total return yards with 1,466, I don't think that's very bad

That is not bad at all he is a good return man but the down side to that is he had alot of chances to return where our defense gave up alot of points.

HometownGal
02-25-2010, 08:07 AM

Exactly. I was very pleased with Logan's performance as a return man this season and I feel he will be even more productive not if - but when - Everest shakes up that unit.

As for ARE - I loved the guy while he was here, but let him hang his cleats in another locker room. We have Logan for returns and Ben has Hines, Santo, Wallace and Heath in his arsenal and possibly Sweed as the 4th WR.

St33lersguy
02-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Sorry but it would just be money wasted. Arains already has no idea how to utilize the talent he has. Adding Twan would cost to much and just give dumbass Bruce one more player to under utilize.

Excellent point, that or with 4 WRs dumbass Bruce will get the urge to go to shotgun every single play.

pancake
02-25-2010, 02:28 PM
I guess my point was we could cut two positions Sweed and Logan and replace them with ARE freeing up more money and improving both our return game and our receiving game. ARE as #4.

I was an ARE fan, but he is a step slower. I also have not gave up on Sweed and Logan. I think both could have big year this season.

solardave
02-25-2010, 04:37 PM

Right now Logan is a better player the EL. We don't need him. Just because Logan had no blocking some on this board think he is a wasted roster spot but I say set up the return and watch what he can do.

BigBen'sSwagger
03-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Who'd a thunk it???

Dust off them Jerseys ARE IS BAAAACK IN BLACK AND GOLD!!!

WHEW WHOOOO!!!

Psyychoward86
03-08-2010, 10:12 PM
That is not bad at all he is a good return man but the down side to that is he had alot of chances to return where our defense gave up alot of points.

Lol. Way to go above and beyond to put down a good return man. He was like 3rd in kick return/average, despite our mediocre blocking. I think that's a lot better than "not bad."

BritishSteel
03-09-2010, 06:29 AM
Well I'm pleased to see him back - frustrating at times, but always involved. He adds competition for the WR and KR slot and all the best teams have strong competition in key roster areas. It doesn't necessarily mean the end for Logan or Sweed, but it does say that consistent high performance is expected, and that's got to be good, hasn't it?

HometownGal
03-09-2010, 06:42 AM
I think this thread can be officially closed now, in light of the fact that El was signed by the Steelers yesterday.