PDA

View Full Version : Steelers offer Casey one final contract

supa_fly_steeler
02-24-2010, 11:57 AM
The hours are ticking down until the Steelers have to make a decision on whether or not they will have to place the franchise tag on nose tackle Casey Hampton. It is rumored that the Steelers have made one final contract offer to Hampton and his agent that would allow the Steelers to sign Hampton to a multi-year, future cap friendly contract. The new contract offer is reportedly front loaded and worth around 12 million dollars in guaranteed cash. The Steelers have until 4:00 p.m. Thursday to get the deal done to avoid having to use the tag on Hampton. If no new deal is reached, the Steelers will indeed use the exclusive franchise tag on Hampton while continuing to work out a new contract.

One of the caveats of getting a deal done with Big Snack would be that the Steelers could then turn around and use the franchise tag on free safety Ryan Clark and the transition tag on kicker Jeff Reed as planned. The franchise tag for safeties in 2010 is $6.455 million. This would enable the Steelers to keep all 3 unrestricted free agents they considered a priority without breaking the bank or hurting themselves in future years if and when the salary cap comes back into play. This would also give the Steelers plenty of time to work out a new deal with Reed and delaying a long term decision on the aging Clark.

Stay tuned as this could all go down very quickly if indeed the rumors hold true.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2010/02/dont-rule-out-a-last-minute-casey-hampton-deal-ryan-clark-getting-tagged/

truesteelerfan
02-24-2010, 12:11 PM
I wish Casey would get his head out of his big ol' butt, and realize a 2 down player isn't worth top 5 DT money. I'll be happy to have him back...but not at the cost of having to lose both Ryan and Jeff. With that being said, I'm assuming we're making him a fair offer...But as a 33-34 year old man, he's not the player he was at the signing of his last contract...equal money to make up for inflation would be fair....don't be greedy.

mulldog24
02-24-2010, 01:49 PM
Come on "SNACKS" man up and take the deal and quit being greedy!!!! 12 million in guaranteed cash will buy a lot of TWINKIES!!!!:wink02:

jollyrob68
02-24-2010, 02:13 PM
TAg him and let him seek a trade.

steelerdude15
02-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Casey, your amazing and I love you. You've done so much for us fans and the organization, but take this cut. I'd be happy if someone gave me twelve million dollars. :mail:

aclark99
02-24-2010, 04:05 PM
I agree if he doesn't take it then tag him and trade him. 33 year old NT is not worth 7 mil a year. not even on a one year deal. I CYA Casey....go play for the Raiders or the Patriots!!!!! I am tired of these athletes getting paid like they do. Teachers and Law Enforcement can't get paid like they do and they are the true leaders of our society. Think about it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-24-2010, 05:40 PM
IF that is true, why would the guy sign a deal for $12 mil guaranteed, when he will get tagged and get $7mil guaranteed??? The tag is coming for sure.

tony hipchest
02-24-2010, 06:02 PM
IF that is true, why would the guy sign a deal for $12 mil guaranteed, when he will get tagged and get $7mil guaranteed??? The tag is coming for sure.theres a chance he wont be getting shit in '11 other than a year older if there is a lock out.

i hope hampton will look at this offer just as fair as the last offers to harrison, troy, and smith (the guarantee is actually 2 mil richer than i thought it would be) and look at what is best for himself, team and legacy.

sounds like a more than fair deal.

pete74
02-24-2010, 06:25 PM
we kinda have him by the balls because if he dosnt sign a new contract this year its extremly doubtful anyone will sign him to a mega deal next year at 34. i say give him 15mil for 3 years

nikstar
02-24-2010, 09:18 PM
12 guaranteed, how much bonuses? 4/5/6/7/8+?

if he's expected to be bringing in like 15, he should take it

OneForTheToe
02-24-2010, 10:32 PM
TAg him and let him seek a trade.

Are you allowed to trade a player who has been tagged? :noidea:I really don't know.

Did a little research and I think you can, but it won't happen anyways.

kmsteelerwr15
02-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Come on Big Snack gotta take that deal

devilsdancefloor
02-24-2010, 10:49 PM
that is a lot of damn snacks! Come on big boy!

PhantomJB93
02-24-2010, 11:01 PM
If we resign Hampton Ill be especially pissed if we take a DT in the first round like a lot of people are predicting. I understand in the "getting eventual replacements for veterans" thing but we have bigger positional problems right now that should take priority over a Casey replacement...

Galax Steeler
02-25-2010, 03:51 AM
If we resign Hampton Ill be especially pissed if we take a DT in the first round like a lot of people are predicting. I understand in the "getting eventual replacements for veterans" thing but we have bigger positional problems right now that should take priority over a Casey replacement...

I think if we sign him to a new contract you won't see a replacement being drafted this year.

solardave
02-25-2010, 03:57 AM
Casey, your amazing and I love you. You've done so much for us fans and the organization, but take this cut. I'd be happy if someone gave me twelve million dollars. :mail:

Doesn't sound like a cut ot me. I'd take 13mil and be there 2 days early and IN SHAPE!!!

WeegiesWarriors
02-25-2010, 04:55 AM
Teachers and Law Enforcement can't get paid like they do and they are the true leaders of our society. Think about it.

That's because a trained monkey can sit in a car and direct a laser beam into oncoming traffic. As far as teachers, millions can stay drunk for 4 years of college and go on and teach gym class to 4th graders, and there are millions of job openings for those jobs. Not many 300 lb'ers can line up and push other 300 lb'ers around a football field; not only that there are only a handful of job openings to do it in an industry that produces billions in revenue each year. Hampton and all athletes deserve every million they can get because that's the way of the market. If you don't like that stop watching the NFL or any other professional sport, and get the other millions of people who do also to stop. Athlete salaries will decrease. The whole athletes are overpaid bullshit is way over played. They're paid what the market wants.

You think you're making yourself look great by making that comment when in actuality if your local elementary school's 5th grade math teacher signed a 12 million dollar bonus you'd explode.

SteelMember
02-25-2010, 08:15 AM
The clock is ticking....Let's get it done, and go to lunch.

Steelers, Hampton set to agree to three-year contract (http://postgazette.com/pg/10056/1038588-66.stm)
Thursday, February 25, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers and nose tackle Casey Hampton should have a three-year contract agreement in place before today is out.

Hampton's agents and the Steelers have been negotiating on contracts of various lengths over the past week as today's deadline of 4 p.m. looms for the team to use their franchise and transition tags on two players.

Hampton, who will be 33 this season, would remain with the Steelers through the 2012 season under the new deal. The deal will be worth more than $21 million. Hampton would have been paid a $7 million salary if he were franchised by the team this season.

By coming to terms with their Pro Bowl nose tackle, the Steelers would be free to use the franchise tag on kicker Jeff Reed. The franchise tag would virtually eliminate a player from leaving in free agency. At the minimum, it would provide the Steelers with two first-round draft choices in return if the player signed elsewhere. Reed would have to be paid $2,814,000 as a franchise player and $2,629,000 as a transition player.

The agents for Reed and free safety Ryan Clark will meet in Indianapolis over the next two days to continue their negotiations. The Steelers are not expected to use either of their two tags on Clark, even after they come to a contract agreement with Hampton.

interesting. :scratchchin:

truesteelerfan
02-25-2010, 08:25 AM
I'm glad to hear we are close to signing him....but 7M a season is too much IMO for a part time player. Hopefully its frontloaded so we can pay most of it in our our uncapped year....

pete74
02-25-2010, 08:46 AM
7mil is definatly to much but i bet he will only see the 11mil gurenteed. i dont think he is worth 7mil a season but then again to the team he is. we dont give up many 100 yard rushers and he is a big reason for that. you take hampton out of the scenerio and i bet we give up 5 or 6 100 yard rushes in 2010