PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers Interested in LaDainian Tomlinson?

mesaSteeler
02-24-2010, 07:12 PM
The Steelers Interested in LaDainian Tomlinson?
by Blitzburgh on Feb 23, 2010 8:52 PM EST Comment 62 comments
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/2/23/1323839/the-steelers-interested-in

According to ESPN's John Clayton, Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin is interested in bringing LaDainian Tomlinson to Pittsburgh. Before I go any further, I'll note that gauging just how interested Tomlin and the Steelers might be is impossible to judge. Why? Because quite frankly, I'm sure just about every coach in the National Football Leauge (save Norvell Turner) has said or would say that they'd love to have a player and locker room presence like LT on their side in 2010. So who knows just how 'interested' Tomlin is.

I would say though that adding a piece like LT would be an outstanding move for the Steelers. Now, I'm usually not one who's interested in Pittsburgh acquiring a 'big name' player who, for any number of reasons, is past his prime, injury prone or too expensive. Larry Johnson for example never intrigued me as a possibility in Pittsburgh.

But LT does. For one, the Steelers are going to need somebody to spell/compliment Rashard Mendenhall. If the Steelers do in fact make a stronger commitment to running the ball next year, then there simply has to be somebody besides Mewelde Moore to hand the ball off to. What about Isaac Redman? Or some late round draft pick or undrafted free agent signing this summer? Those are options, no doubt.

But, in my opinion, Bruce Arians will be much more inclined and likely to make a legitimate commitment to running the football if there were two proven, capable backs in the stable like Mendenhall and LT. If it's some inexperienced option like Redman or an UFA rookie, something tells me Arians puts the ball back in Ben's hands too often.

What about cost? Well on that front, I'm just not sure what to say. I don't know what the market for LT's services will be like. I personally don't think that the 2010 uncapped year will affect the spending of the vast majority of teams; and I also don't think that the few teams who do spend more than would be allowed if there were a cap will spend extravagantly, or said differently, in a New York Yankees-esque type of way that clearly gives them a competitive advantage over the rest of the league.

We'll see. I certainly wouldn't say it's 'likely' or even 'somewhat likely' that LT winds up in the black and gold. But I would gladly welcome him if it did happen. There may be other opportunities out there for LT that would allow him to be a featured back rather than a complimentary option. But if LT wants to win a Super Bowl and wouldn't mind taking on a different role than he's been in his entire career, maybe just maybe he'd entertain an offer from the Steelers.

Northside Jonny
02-24-2010, 07:24 PM
If the price is low and I mean LOW maybee. But they better make sure he hasn't lost a step like i suspect. He(Tomlin) also better make it very clear that Mendy is the #1 guy.

M.C. Smith
02-24-2010, 07:45 PM
I would love to see Tomlinson as a Steeler, but I just don't see it happening. His asking price is going to be really high and as we know, the Steelers aren't known for throwing around money like that.

Big7BenHOF
02-24-2010, 07:56 PM
I think it could very well happen. Tomlinson may be willing to take a low pay to play in a great place such as Pittsburgh, somewhere where he could win a ring very soon.

PhantomJB93
02-24-2010, 07:58 PM
I could see it happening, but it really depends how much LT wants to play because he obviously won't get the starting role here but he doesnt have many options where he could start AND win a championship, and right now championship seems to be his biggest goal. Its mutual for both sides. Tomlinson wants to win a championship, and he wants to play, so obviously crappy teams are out of the question. The Steelers could obviously utilize him on offense; Id like to see him take Mewelde Moore's role as third down/occasional wildcat back (never was a big Moore fan) and he could help develop Mendenhall into an even better back than he is now. But if LT is bent on having a MAJOR offensive role on whatever team he plays on I dont think hes going to get that here.

Chidi29
02-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Remember all the rumors about Vick coming to play for us before and during camp?

How'd those turn out?

PhantomJB93
02-24-2010, 08:29 PM
^Ya, but Vick was not only one of the biggest free agent risks for a team to sign in history but we also would have had to change a lot of our offensive gameplan just to utilize him. Not to mention the legal troubles; the Steelers have never been big on legal-troubled FA's. But Tomlinson has never had any problems as far as Im aware of, could fit the role of 3rd down back quite well if hes willing to accept that role, and seems like a much more natural fit to our offense than Vick (or other rumored recent FA signings)

skinart82
02-24-2010, 08:35 PM
LT already has the money, he doesn't have the ring. And Pittsburgh would be the best chance for him to get that ring in 2010

ricksteelers55
02-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Id rather keep Willie.LT hasnt done much lately except being a loud mouth off the field.

Please dont bring that guy to Da Burgh,keep doing what you do best which is build through draft and bring some low profile FA to fill some depth.

steelerdude15
02-24-2010, 09:20 PM
It would be interesting to see LT as a Steeler, I'd be kinda shocked if he actually did become a Steeler. True, he probably would have a better chance of winning a SB and he could be a good help in the locker room as well, but we still have Willie. If Willie stays (which probably won't happen), then theres no way. I personally don't want to see Willie go because he's been a class act, but he is older and not as productive as he used to be. LT is older than Willie though. I wouldn't mind LT being a Steeler...

Hotrodder07
02-24-2010, 09:25 PM
I'd be very happy to see LT in Black and Gold next year. There's just too many issues though. Firstly, how much will he want, and how much would we be willing to give. Now, let's say we can afford him, and he'll take the pay-cut to come here, will he be happy sitting on the bench a majority of the time, while Mendenhall takes the carries? Would all this be worth it to him to possibly win a ring?

I doubt the stars will allign for this to happen, but if it were to, I'd be very pleased.

Kindjunior
02-24-2010, 09:43 PM
If the money actually reflects his Current ability it might be worth a shot.

supa_fly_steeler
02-24-2010, 09:49 PM
I'd be very happy to see LT in Black and Gold next year. There's just too many issues though. Firstly, how much will he want, and how much would we be willing to give. Now, let's say we can afford him, and he'll take the pay-cut to come here, will he be happy sitting on the bench a majority of the time, while Mendenhall takes the carries? Would all this be worth it to him to possibly win a ring?

I doubt the stars will allign for this to happen, but if it were to, I'd be very pleased.

He was crying on national T.V. because he could not get a ring.

He can either make a choice Ring or No Ring. Because Ben Roethlisberger isn't going to retire with 2 rings.

SteelersinCA
02-24-2010, 10:02 PM
I actually would love to see LT in a Steelers uni and I think it makes perfect sense if the price is right. Willie is gone, and you can't tell me that LT would not be a better 3rd down/spell for Mendy than MeMo. Coincidentally, about the only thing that would change is the facemask, same size, same numbers! I think LT used in that manner by the Steelers would be very very effective.

But it all comes down to price.

Psyychoward86
02-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Id rather keep Willie.LT hasnt done much lately except being a loud mouth off the field.

Please dont bring that guy to Da Burgh,keep doing what you do best which is build through draft and bring some low profile FA to fill some depth.

Lol, a loud mouth? You mean state that he doesnt think he's going to be a Charger anymore? Yeah sure, he didnt take another paycut, but i think he realizes at this point that San Diego is nothing but a tease. A great football team that will be overhyped and always ultimately come up short. He wants a ring. I think we all know that if he retires without one, he'll be one of the greatest to never get one. His character cant be questioned. Work ethic? Check. Off the field contributions? Check. Comes down to durability and the money tag. Those are big ifs.

And you obviously havent looked at the list of unrestricted FA's at runningback this year. Particularly the list of decent ones. I can count that on one hand without using all of my fingers just to let you know.

lionslicer
02-24-2010, 11:21 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

He can't even average more than 3.2 yards per carry with a very good line in SD. No way he'll average more than 1 yard per carry behind that line we have.

fansince'76
02-24-2010, 11:36 PM
Remember all the rumors about Vick coming to play for us before and during camp?

How'd those turn out?

This.

Da Steeler Soprano
02-24-2010, 11:56 PM
And how many yards did Willie average? We need to just cut Parker already (or Moore) and sign LT. Just the locker room presence and what he would be able to do to the development of Mendy would pay off major dividends.

QUOTE=lionslicer;775929]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

He can't even average more than 3.2 yards per carry with a very good line in SD. No way he'll average more than 1 yard per carry behind that line we have.[/QUOTE]

Psyychoward86
02-25-2010, 12:12 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

He can't even average more than 3.2 yards per carry with a very good line in SD. No way he'll average more than 1 yard per carry behind that line we have.

they didnt run block particularly well. they looked like a replica of the vikings o-line: Dominating pass protection, shaky run blocking.

Heck, i'll go a step further and say they looked somewhat like us in '08 (in run blocking anyways)

ricksteelers55
02-25-2010, 12:26 AM
Lol, a loud mouth? You mean state that he doesnt think he's going to be a Charger anymore? Yeah sure, he didnt take another paycut, but i think he realizes at this point that San Diego is nothing but a tease. A great football team that will be overhyped and always ultimately come up short. He wants a ring. I think we all know that if he retires without one, he'll be one of the greatest to never get one. His character cant be questioned. Work ethic? Check. Off the field contributions? Check. Comes down to durability and the money tag. Those are big ifs.

And you obviously havent looked at the list of unrestricted FA's at runningback this year. Particularly the list of decent ones. I can count that on one hand without using all of my fingers just to let you know.

No you're right,a guy who self-proclaimed himself a class-act is just great.I just dont get the excitation behind bringing him in Pittsburgh.You can like the guy,or maybe would enjoy seing him in black and gold but dont start saying the guy is a model because I dont think that is the case.

As for FA's at RB I never said we should sign a RB.I said we should do like we usually do which means filling our holes with cheap FA contributors(ala Clark or Moore) and building through draft.So if we need to fill the RB position we either sign one,give a shot to Moore or draft one.

I respect the fact that some people might love the guy(I'm a Michael Bush fan myself and I got some heat from some other guys for that) and would enjoy seing him in your fav team uniforms,I just dont think he would be a good fit that's all.But that is just my own opinion.

Steeldude
02-25-2010, 12:50 AM
He(Tomlin) also better make it very clear that Mendy is the #1 guy.

the #1 guy should be whoever plays better. coming into camp mendenhall will be the #1 guy, but positions should always be open for the taking.

IMO, i don't want tomlinson because i think the money he will cost could be better sepnt elsewhere.

Galax Steeler
02-25-2010, 03:42 AM
I think I would much rather see Chestor Taylor in Black and Gold. He don't have as much mileage on him as LT. He would be a good one to relieve Mendenhall and even step in if he was to get hurt.

lionslicer
02-25-2010, 06:16 AM
they didnt run block particularly well. they looked like a replica of the vikings o-line: Dominating pass protection, shaky run blocking.

Heck, i'll go a step further and say they looked somewhat like us in '08 (in run blocking anyways)

He's played behind worse O-lines in the past and has gotten way better production... 2001-2004, he was playing behind a very shaky line, he just has great vision, power and agility when it comes to running... Well he did, he's not so good at that stuff anymore..
Point is, he can't get production, hasn't gotten good production since 2007, 2008 for him was a very down year and with our line, who knows if it will be good next season, or back to its normal ways. LT would be playing more on passing downs, and you can't be paying a back starter money to be in the game less than 15 times a game.

HometownGal
02-25-2010, 07:01 AM
the #1 guy should be whoever plays better. coming into camp mendenhall will be the #1 guy, but positions should always be open for the taking.

IMO, i don't want tomlinson because i think the money he will cost could be better sepnt elsewhere.

Spot on. :applaudit:

I respect the hell out of LT, but we're not going to pay the kind of moola LT is going to want to a #2 back. No way, no how.

St33lersguy
02-25-2010, 08:00 AM
I wonder why every single time a big name veteran is released ( or reinstated without a team) that sme people think the black & gold will pick him up. We have Mendy & Mewelde we don't need a worn down past his prime back that Airhead Arians will ignore. Plus will feel the urge to send LT up the middle in 13 of the 15 running plays he calls a game anyway

mikegrimey
02-25-2010, 08:13 AM
I'll believe it when I see it and not a second before.

SteelStang
02-25-2010, 10:09 AM
In a word... NO!

SteelersinCA
Tomlinson is going to have to give somewhere, no one that is a contender is going to pay his salary as it is. He has said he doesn't want a pay cut and he wants a ring. The two are not congruent. One of them has to give. I believe it will be the money and if the price is right he would be magical for the Steelers.

vasteeler
I wonder why every single time a big name veteran is released ( or reinstated without a team) that sme people think the black & gold will pick him up. We have Mendy & Mewelde we don't need a worn down past his prime back that Airhead Arians will ignore. Plus will feel the urge to send LT up the middle in 13 of the 15 running plays he calls a game anyway

last I checked that "air head" has 2 super bowl rings

just sayin'

Vincent
02-25-2010, 10:17 AM

The way Omar is dealing, the book might not be closed on FWP. I would prefer FWP at a reasonable deal than anybody from the outside at what we'd have to pay.

Nadroj 20
02-25-2010, 10:27 AM
If he is willing to take #2 RB money and to actually except the role of the #2 back then fine ill welcome him to the team if the steelers want to get him, however for now im going to take this situation the way everyone else should.....as a rumor.

Psyychoward86
02-25-2010, 10:40 AM
last I checked that "air head" has 2 super bowl rings

just sayin'

And Trent Dilfer is better than Dan Marino :rolleyes:

Bus36RollsUrlacher
02-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Would it be an upgrade if it happened? Sure. Like others have said, he would need to be a role player and take a lesser amount in the quest for "the ring". I like FWP, but in comparison:

LT scores touchdowns in the red zone + - FWP not so much
LT is a good receiver - FWP not so much
FWP is a Steelers mentality player - LT big question mark

IMO, I don't think LT will be a Steeler, but how many teams are that close to getting him a ring that can use him?

mulldog24
02-25-2010, 11:55 AM
I saw on ESPN were I think Schefter said that LT wouldn't command a lot of money so if that is the case I would like to have him here both for his experience and he could spell Mendy. I think that LT is a class act and a hard working pro. LT probably realizes that he has lost a step and won't be the #1 back but could contribute to the team effort to winning a ring JMO.

stb_steeler
02-25-2010, 12:26 PM

How'd those turn out?

BINGO

Psyychoward86
02-25-2010, 12:33 PM
FWP is a Steelers mentality player - LT big question mark

How is LT a big question mark?

BINGO

Huh, we arent seriously comparing Vick and LT are we? Vick is a thug who only fell to his apologetic knees to play football again, make some moola, and get out of bankruptcy.

(Not that this LT/steelers marriage has any real chance)

MaidenIndiana
02-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Well since nobody else is going to say it I will. L T is washed up! Sorry but it happens to everybody sooner or later. He hasn't been he best running back on the Chargers for the last 2 seasons. I can see no reason for the Steelers to waste their time or money on a player who is a has been.

vasteeler
02-25-2010, 12:51 PM
And Trent Dilfer is better than Dan Marino :rolleyes:

apples and oranges

supa_fly_steeler
02-25-2010, 01:06 PM
VIck is totally different situation to Tomlinsons.

SteelersinCA
02-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Yeah Vick is a thug from a school notorious for not turning out quality NFL qbs.

HometownGal
02-25-2010, 01:31 PM
I would prefer FWP at a reasonable deal than anybody from the outside at what we'd have to pay.

I second that. :thumbsup::drink:

NEPAsteeler
02-25-2010, 01:52 PM
LT is definitely a great back, but why get rid of Parker only to bring in a guy that's actually older? I say stick with Willie.

pete74
02-25-2010, 02:28 PM
unless our line does a better job at run blocking we can put chris johnson back there it it wont help

saveus1011
02-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Trade Parker for Cromartie. Goodness knows we need some form of a corner.

stlrz fan
02-25-2010, 02:36 PM
He'll end up at the Redskins!

solardave
02-25-2010, 03:00 PM
LT says that his reason for playing is to win a Superbowl. Let's see if he's willing to play for the kind of money the FO would offer and play the role of backup. He has one thing over Willie (who will be gone anyway). He can catch out of the backfield on the run. I'd love to see how well it would work. For one year at least.

LVSteelersfan
02-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Ten to one he ends up with a team like the Patriots, Cowboys or Redskins. Possibly a team like the Cardinals who have a great receiving team but are questionable on their running game.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-25-2010, 04:00 PM
If I had my choice between FWP and LT, I think I would go with a health FWP. FWP knows there isn't many holes to run through. LT will get the ball , stop and say WTF man, there is no holes. Yo Ben why are you laying on your back again?LOL

IMO Willie was actually running pretty good the last couple games when he was 100% healthy.

xbroughneck
02-25-2010, 04:40 PM
If it's between a pro bowl Tomlinson or a Fast Willie who knows the system, I'll take the one that cost us less money.

PERIOD!!

Either would be a serviceable backup to Mendy, which is all we need.

supa_fly_steeler
02-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Trade Parker for Cromartie. Goodness knows we need some form of a corner.

cromarties rubbish.

rich4eagle
02-25-2010, 04:45 PM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/2/23/1323839/the-steelers-interested-in

According to ESPN's John Clayton, Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin is interested in bringing LaDainian Tomlinson to Pittsburgh. Before I go any further, I'll note that gauging just how interested Tomlin and the Steelers might be is impossible to judge. Why? Because quite frankly, I'm sure just about every coach in the National Football Leauge (save Norvell Turner) has said or would say that they'd love to have a player and locker room presence like LT on their side in 2010. So who knows just how 'interested' Tomlin is.

I would say though that adding a piece like LT would be an outstanding move for the Steelers. Now, I'm usually not one who's interested in Pittsburgh acquiring a 'big name' player who, for any number of reasons, is past his prime, injury prone or too expensive. Larry Johnson for example never intrigued me as a possibility in Pittsburgh.

But LT does. For one, the Steelers are going to need somebody to spell/compliment Rashard Mendenhall. If the Steelers do in fact make a stronger commitment to running the ball next year, then there simply has to be somebody besides Mewelde Moore to hand the ball off to. What about Isaac Redman? Or some late round draft pick or undrafted free agent signing this summer? Those are options, no doubt.

But, in my opinion, Bruce Arians will be much more inclined and likely to make a legitimate commitment to running the football if there were two proven, capable backs in the stable like Mendenhall and LT. If it's some inexperienced option like Redman or an UFA rookie, something tells me Arians puts the ball back in Ben's hands too often.

What about cost? Well on that front, I'm just not sure what to say. I don't know what the market for LT's services will be like. I personally don't think that the 2010 uncapped year will affect the spending of the vast majority of teams; and I also don't think that the few teams who do spend more than would be allowed if there were a cap will spend extravagantly, or said differently, in a New York Yankees-esque type of way that clearly gives them a competitive advantage over the rest of the league.

We'll see. I certainly wouldn't say it's 'likely' or even 'somewhat likely' that LT winds up in the black and gold. But I would gladly welcome him if it did happen. There may be other opportunities out there for LT that would allow him to be a featured back rather than a complimentary option. But if LT wants to win a Super Bowl and wouldn't mind taking on a different role than he's been in his entire career, maybe just maybe he'd entertain an offer from the Steelers.

Why Willie Parker and our Thrid Down back are similar. And we have Mendenhall......are we going to cut one of them for Tomlinson. I would think a bigger quest would be for a real 3rd and 1 back.....like Bettis

sometimes the logic of the NFL is really bizarre:tt::tt::tt::tt:

rich4eagle
02-25-2010, 04:51 PM

Why Willie Parker and our Thrid Down back are similar. And we have Mendenhall......are we going to cut one of them for Tomlinson. I would think a bigger quest would be for a real 3rd and 1 back.....like Bettis

xbroughneck
02-25-2010, 04:56 PM

If he comes cheaper than fast Willie I'll take Tomlinson in a second.

Psyychoward86
02-25-2010, 05:25 PM
apples and oranges

Apples and oranges is to trent dilfer and dan marino?

*insert facepalm here*

Psyychoward86
02-25-2010, 05:30 PM
We need a little something more than "serviceable" from our backup #2 runningback if we want to be a bit more immune to the injury bug. If Rashard goes down on IR, would you be safe with either fwp/LT/Moore? I sure wouldnt. It's a two-back league, not saying we cant win without following that protocol, because we got ben to carry us on his shoulders. But really THINK. We cant have him being the focal point of our offense or some savior all the time. These hits, sacks, and concussions WILL add up. It took us decades to find a franchise QB after Bradshaw, do we want to risk that situation again? We need a #2 back that might prove to be well, border-line a fairly efficient starter.

PhantomJB93
02-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Hell Id pay more to get LT than less to keep Willie. Honestly, Willie is one of the most overrated backs ever, I think a lot of you are being overly-loyal to him just because he's a Steeler, he's got speed but really not much else at all and he only had one notable season in the several years he's played for us. Sure, LT is old and he didnt have a great year last year (but keep in mind that has been his ONLY bad year ever and he was injured, I think the Bolts were a little too quick to release him), but the benefits he could bring to our team are FAR better than what wed get by sticking with Willie or Mewelde, even if it requires spending a bit more on him for 1 or 2 seasons. Not only do I think he'd play better than our other backup options, he would bring locker room confidence and would likely teach Mendy enough to have a lasting impact and develop him in to an all-around better back, neither of which Willie or Mewelde can offer the team. He's never really struck me as a "loud-mouth" either as some have said, he may open his mouth and express his opinions sometimes but by no means have I ever thought he was "obnoxious" or anything...

steelcityboyz
02-25-2010, 05:47 PM
I would love to have LT as a steeler. That said it will never happen, the Steelers never sign a big name. And if they would use him as a situational player I'd rather see them take Westbrook.

Psyychoward86
02-25-2010, 06:29 PM
speaking in absolutes= incorrect

Vincent
02-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Honestly, Willie is one of the most overrated backs ever,

How do you figure a back with 5,378 yards over a 6 year career, including 3 1,200+ seasons, a pro bowl, and a 4.3 yd average is "over rated"? "Ever"? Seriously?

FWP is at a point where he needs to realize that he should be a "role" player. At 5,378 yards he has enough wear that with his build, he shouldn't be looking at 300+ touches. He might be offered a feature role and contract but how long will he survive? IMHO, 1-2 more seasons. As a role player he could get a decent contract and actually play it out over more seasons.

Hopefully the same wisdom that got Snacks agreement will prevail here.

OldSchoolSteelersFan
02-25-2010, 07:02 PM
I saw in an MSN mock draft where they had Pittsburgh taking McKnight from USC, with Gerhart still on the board....I would LOVE to see Toby Gerhart in black & gold, since he's a hard running, physical back with some speed...kind of like a Bettis-Hoge hybrid.

supa_fly_steeler
02-25-2010, 11:48 PM
L.T. wears #21 and Moore wears #21 He has a too big a ego won't want to sign and change shirt number.

tony hipchest
02-26-2010, 12:05 AM
Honestly, Willie is one of the most overrated backs ever, I think a lot of you are being overly-loyal to him just because he's a Steeler, he's got speed but really not much else at all and he only had one notable season in the several years he's played for us.
:doh:

willie is on the cusp of becoming the rushing leader of all undrafted free agent running backs in the history of the nfl. in 44 superbowls, he has the longest run to go with his 2 rings. in his best year, he was right up there with ladainian tomlinson (1 year removed from his best year) and adrian peterson.

yet he is "overrated"? LMAO.

supa_fly_steeler
02-26-2010, 01:05 AM
Willie OVERRATED?

i beg to differ

BO8czEJiVXg

XGsGQjIpoW0

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 01:11 AM

willie is on the cusp of becoming the rushing leader of all undrafted free agent running backs in the history of the nfl. in 44 superbowls, he has the longest run to go with his 2 rings. in his best year, he was right up there with ladainian tomlinson (1 year removed from his best year) and adrian peterson.

yet he is "overrated"? LMAO.

I agree with you here tony, Willie is a good back I blame Arains dumbass for not understanding how to use Willie! You don't constantly pound a guy with his speed up the middle , you must get him on the edge and let him out run defenders.

Psyychoward86
02-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Saints like him too: http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/02/25/are-saints-paving-path-for-tomlinson/

LT, i mean

SteelersinCA
02-26-2010, 10:32 AM
LT would love to play with Brees again, they are great friends by all accounts. Maybe Brees comes off his money for LT to play in NO, that's a definite possibility.

steelreserve
02-26-2010, 10:55 AM
I agree with you here tony, Willie is a good back I blame Arains dumbass for not understanding how to use Willie! You don't constantly pound a guy with his speed up the middle , you must get him on the edge and let him out run defenders.

When he gets out to the edge, he doesn't outrun defenders; he dances around fooling no one, and waits for the defender to meet him in the backfield. Beyond the basic distinction of lumbering vs. non-lumbering, pure speed matters for exactly dick at the running back position. It's about quickness, making decisive cuts, and making yourself tough to bring down. Parker has none of those things.

Basically, at the start of his career, Parker lucked into a situation where he benefited from a run-happy offense with three Pro Bowlers on one side of the offensive line. Any running back of average talent could have succeeded in that environment. Once that changed, he was exposed for what he really is: A so-so back with glaring holes in his game that any decent defense could exploit at will. He put up great fantasy football stats for a few years by running for 150 yards every time he faced teams like the Browns and Lions, and then turning in 8-10 absolute stink bombs per season where he rushed for 29 yards on 18 carries.

And people wonder why we suddenly had record offensive numbers once we got that POS out of there. "ONE of the most overrated backs of all-time" doesn't even begin to do it justice. The sad part is, even after reality has been painfully bashing us over the head with the truth for the past two seasons, some people still cling to the impression that Parker is -- or was ever -- an elite RB. At this point, it's nothing less than delusional.

polamalu82
02-26-2010, 01:22 PM
I could see LT ending up in Tennessee. I think the Titans don't care too much for Lendale The Douche. I could see them letting him go and picking up LT to compliment CJ.

LamarrWoodleysFade
02-26-2010, 01:35 PM
When he gets out to the edge, he doesn't outrun defenders; he dances around fooling no one, and waits for the defender to meet him in the backfield. Beyond the basic distinction of lumbering vs. non-lumbering, pure speed matters for exactly dick at the running back position. It's about quickness, making decisive cuts, and making yourself tough to bring down. Parker has none of those things.

Basically, at the start of his career, Parker lucked into a situation where he benefited from a run-happy offense with three Pro Bowlers on one side of the offensive line. Any running back of average talent could have succeeded in that environment. Once that changed, he was exposed for what he really is: A so-so back with glaring holes in his game that any decent defense could exploit at will. He put up great fantasy football stats for a few years by running for 150 yards every time he faced teams like the Browns and Lions, and then turning in 8-10 absolute stink bombs per season where he rushed for 29 yards on 18 carries.

And people wonder why we suddenly had record offensive numbers once we got that POS out of there. "ONE of the most overrated backs of all-time" doesn't even begin to do it justice. The sad part is, even after reality has been painfully bashing us over the head with the truth for the past two seasons, some people still cling to the impression that Parker is -- or was ever -- an elite RB. At this point, it's nothing less than delusional.

I agree. Willie was never all that great to me, either...

xbroughneck
02-26-2010, 01:50 PM
I agree. Willie was never all that great to me, either...

I like Willie, but you can tell he didn't get a lot of carries in college. He's much better and finding holes between the tackles now than he use to be, but he's still learning how to do that iIMHO.

Now, it looks like the Vikings will lose Chester Taylor to free agency. HE'S a back I think the Steelers could get good use out of.

pete74
02-26-2010, 01:53 PM
i never thought parker was anything more then a decent back. he is fast but thats about it. he did well when we had a great offensive line to bust him out holes that he can run thru untouched but now with an average O-line he just straight up sucks. he goes down easier then any RB i have ever seen before. i say ditch parker and give redman a chance to prove himself as well as drafting a rb in the 5th

JEFF4i
02-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Okay.

A) Willie actually is that great. It's just the Steelers have changed, poor play calling on the ground has cost him some. Yes, the Dolphins game may have been a fluke, but he still showed that he has it. Not what he once was, but we're not looking for that.

B) LT won't go to the Titans. He's going to want a starting position, or frequent snaps, like FWP. With Chris Johnson back there, LT won't see much time.

C) Why would the Steelers want LT? Too expensive without any real promise of making the dollar count. We have an awesome back with Mendy, and like I said, LT won't want to play second fiddle. Nor will Mendy after proving he belongs where he is.

D) Why does everyone forget about MeMo? He's not the best, but certainly consistant. We have HB depth, maybe snag one more guy in FA or Draft, but we don't need a big money fella.

Psyychoward86
02-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Put the pipe down, we cant run confidently with Mewelde Moore. His campaign in '08 was way overrated. He ran decent to great against mediocre defenses, except for the Giants. If mendenhall goes on IR, do you guys seriously feel great about having Memo back there?

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Put the pipe down, we cant run confidently with Mewelde Moore. His campaign in '08 was way overrated. He ran decent to great against mediocre defenses, except for the Giants. If mendenhall goes on IR, do you guys seriously feel great about having Memo back there?

2 guys that really intrigue me are Larry Johnson and Chris Brown. I don't think you will have to break the bank to land either player.

pete74
02-26-2010, 04:40 PM
i would be more then happy to get Taylor from the Vikings

Psyychoward86
02-26-2010, 04:53 PM
2 guys that really intrigue me are Larry Johnson and Chris Brown. I don't think you will have to break the bank to land either player.

dont get me started on larry johnson :rofl:

but yes, i agree with brown. I looked over at the UFA list again and theres some extra names i havent seen until recently.

Btw guys.....the Chargers announced they will not tender Sproles, and they're letting him test free agency....

(not that we need or want him)

PhantomJB93
02-26-2010, 08:40 PM

I agree with LJ (plus LJ already stated hed love to play for us) but PLEASE tell me youre not talking about the Houston Texans' Chris Brown. He was HORRIBLE, all he did was get stuffed behind the line, fumble on the goal line, and throw wildcat pass-interceptions nowhere NEAR any receivers

Psyychoward86
02-26-2010, 09:31 PM
I agree with LJ

SteelersinCA
02-26-2010, 09:40 PM
Sproles can go somewhere else, if the Steelers even consider that we have serious issues.

PhantomJB93
02-26-2010, 09:42 PM

LJ knows nobody's going to pay him that much so he won't cost too much and if you actually watched him play in Cincy towards the end of the season he showed he's still got it. Maybe not what he was a few years ago but enough to make a difference.

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 10:02 PM
Sproles can go somewhere else, if the Steelers even consider that we have serious issues.

I think the Chargers let him go because they know he will not be as big a threat without Tomlinson back there to change it up.

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 10:06 PM
LJ knows nobody's going to pay him that much so he won't cost too much and if you actually watched him play in Cincy towards the end of the season he showed he's still got it. Maybe not what he was a few years ago but enough to make a difference.

I think about 90% of really talented players would get frustrated losing season after season. Of course he wanted out of KC don't give him crap just cause he handled it badly. I can remember times when I wish I would of handled things differently. It's a part of life, sometimes you have to make mistakes in order to change. Plus nobody wants to retire on a sour note.

stb_steeler
02-26-2010, 10:55 PM
How is LT a big question mark?

Huh, we arent seriously comparing Vick and LT are we? Vick is a thug who only fell to his apologetic knees to play football again, make some moola, and get out of bankruptcy.

(Not that this LT/steelers marriage has any real chance)

No comparison LT to Vick......Just comparing rumors......LoL

SteelersinCA
02-27-2010, 11:43 AM
I think the Chargers let him go because they know he will not be as big a threat without Tomlinson back there to change it up.

Or because they realize a back averaging 50yds a game isn't worth 7 mil!

Psyychoward86
02-27-2010, 12:11 PM

wow do i have to yell it out. LJ is MASSIVE off the field trouble.

mesaSteeler
02-27-2010, 12:15 PM
wow do i have to yell it out. LJ is MASSIVE off the field trouble.

Then he would be a perfect fit for the bungholes. He'll be able to swap jail stories with the other criminals on that team.