PDA

View Full Version : Look who is pimping your guys Texasteel

Aussie_steeler
02-25-2010, 06:10 AM
Look who is pimpin your boys TEX. Looks like you have someone doing your work for you this year.

http://gazetteonline.com/blogs/docs-office/2010/02/23/nfl-network-analyst-bulaga-could-crack-the-top-5

An NFL team could select Iowa offensive tackle Bryan Bulaga as high as No. 5 overall in this year’s NFL draft, NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said on a conference call today.

“Bulaga to me is going to be one of the four offensive tackles that could possibly go in the first nine picks,” Mayock said. “If you think about Scott Pioli, the GM of the Kansas City Chiefs, is a good friend and admirer of (Iowa Coach) Kirk Ferentz. He loves the type of technician that Kirk develops with offensive linemen. So it wouldn’t surprise me if he went as early as No. 5 to Kansas City.”

Bulaga, a 6-foot-6, 315-pound three-year starter at Iowa, was named the 2009 Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year. He also was tabbed a second-team All-American. Iowa last had a first-round pick in 2006 when linebacker Chad Greenway went No. 17 overall to the Minnesota Vikings. Iowa’s last top 10 pick was offensive tackle Robert Gallery, who went No. 2 overall to Oakland in 2004.

Mayock ranks Bulaga second among available offensive tackles for this year’s draft.

Mayock also was sold on several other Iowa players, including linebackers Pat Angerer and A.J. Edds, and cornerback Amari Spievey. Angerer and Spievey were first-team all-Big Ten selections,while Edds was named second-team.

“Angerer the inside linebacker, is one of the toughest players in this year’s draft,” Mayock said. “I love his production. He’s a downhill, between-the-tackles thumper. I think he’s a third- or fourth-round pick, and I think he’s one of those really solid football players that immediately makes you football team tougher.”

“As far as corners, Spievey, I like him a lot as a physical, press, cover-2-type corner. I’m anxious to see what he runs; he’s only a junior so we don’t have any height, weight, speed on him. He’s one of those Iowa corners that also could translate, a la Charles Godfrey, to free safety, which adds to his versatility.

“Don’t forget about AJ Edds, the outside linebacker who had five interceptions last year. He played in the Senior Bowl, he’s a draftable kid. Because of his play on special teams, he should find a home in the NFL.”

Those four players join tackle Kyle Calloway, tight end Tony Moeaki and offensive lineman Dace Richardson at this weekend’s NFL Combine in Indianapolis. The draft is held April 22-24.

Gotta love that read Tex. I dont think we could complain if we landed one of those guys come April.

You have to admit though- Mayock doesnt pimp as well as SUPA-FLY. He shares the love around a few more guys.

Seriously though, I dont Mayock missed anyone on those assessments. Moeaki probably deserved more of a mention

Texasteel
02-25-2010, 07:19 AM
I alway have enjoyed Mayock's insightful and expert breakdown on the players.:wink02: I would love to have a couple of my guys on the team and think I would make a case for just about all of them. Bulage I'm just crossing off, I don't think there is any way we get to him, but 3 of my favorites for our team are Spievey, Moeaki, and Edds. I'm hoping that they show well in the combines.

Thanks for the read Aussie, I did enjoy it.:drink:

mulldog24
02-25-2010, 12:00 PM
WOW! Allmost all of those players could be drafted in the 1st 4 rds of the draft, I think that says a lot about the Hawkeye program and Texasteel's scouting ability.:hatsoff:

SteelMember
02-25-2010, 12:06 PM
You have to admit though- Mayock doesnt pimp as well as SUPA-FLY. He shares the love around a few more guys

What da ya mean?

There's Earl Thomas...

Patrick Robinson

Earl Thomas

Kyle Wilson

Earl Thomas

Myron Rolle

Earl Thomas

Morgan Burnett

Did I mention Earl Thomas?

:chuckle:

supa_fly_steeler
02-25-2010, 01:19 PM
You have to admit though- Mayock doesnt pimp as well as SUPA-FLY. He shares the love around a few more guys.
n

Yea i only pimp the defensive backs this year lol last year it was defensive ends. Last year i wanted michael johnson and lardarius webb and they went to the rivals lmao.

Aussie_steeler
02-25-2010, 02:50 PM
With Casey signed we can rule Dan Williams off the list.

Less competition for Earl now Supa.

( but I think this now brings Sean Weatherspoon into serious caculations. FS / CB / ILB or OT)

supa_fly_steeler
02-25-2010, 04:47 PM
With Casey signed we can rule Dan Williams off the list.

Less competition for Earl now Supa.

( but I think this now brings Sean Weatherspoon into serious caculations. FS / CB / ILB or OT)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Lolz. I dont know about Weatherspoon Tomlin will try to do what he did to Timmons :z I would of preferred Laurauntis and Beason the years before picks.

I think Micah is the perfect replacement for Farrior.

supa_fly_steeler
02-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Lol wow the 49ers might want spiller and a tackle and try get cromartie or daunta lolol.

Giants want spikes over mcclain :sofunny:

lolz letting guys fall to us

Texasteel
02-25-2010, 09:15 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Lolz. I dont know about Weatherspoon Tomlin will try to do what he did to Timmons :z I would of preferred Laurauntis and Beason the years before picks.

I think Micah is the perfect replacement for Farrior.

Don't want to break your heart, and mine, but I honestly believe we miss Thomas by one lousy pick. I believe Weatherspoon is a real possibility, but I would look for a OT now, and a safety in the 2nd.

Northside Jonny
02-25-2010, 09:23 PM
What da ya mean?

There's Earl Thomas...

Patrick Robinson - NO PLEASE NO

Earl Thomas

Kyle Wilson

Earl Thomas

Myron Rolle

Earl Thomas

Morgan Burnett - NO PLEASE NO
Did I mention Earl Thomas?

I will be a pissed if Robinson or Burnett end up Steelers!

supa_fly_steeler
02-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Don't want to break your heart, and mine, but I honestly believe we miss Thomas by one lousy pick. I believe Weatherspoon is a real possibility, but I would look for a OT now, and a safety in the 2nd.

Yea i know we probably do lmao. He will go to waste at some disgraceful franchise like the cryhawks.

Heres hoping to Mays blowing the scouts away lol.

Aussie_steeler
02-26-2010, 06:54 AM
I will be a pissed if Robinson or Burnett end up Steelers!

I am intrigued to hear why Jonny? I would think that Burnett is a good fit. A free safety who is comfortable playing up in the box. If Ryan Clark is resigned I wouldnt mind having a guy that is capable of backing up both SS and FS. Tyrone Carter is called on to play both roles even though he is on his last legs. :noidea:

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 11:12 AM
I am intrigued to hear why Jonny? I would think that Burnett is a good fit. A free safety who is comfortable playing up in the box. If Ryan Clark is resigned I wouldnt mind having a guy that is capable of backing up both SS and FS. Tyrone Carter is called on to play both roles even though he is on his last legs. :noidea:

It's not that I feel Burnett is a bad player. I just believe that there is better value at other positions based on where Burnett is projected to be taken.

supa_fly_steeler
02-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Patrick Robinson would fit the steelers defense he's an aggresive player with ballhawking skills. He's probably one of the best cornerback tacklers in this class. i wouldn't cry if he was selected by us.

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Patrick Robinson would fit the steelers defense he's an aggresive player with ballhawking skills. He's probably one of the best cornerback tacklers in this class. i wouldn't cry if he was selected by us.

I would if they picked him in the first.

supa_fly_steeler
02-26-2010, 03:32 PM
I would if they picked him in the first.

Why? I think he has the most potential out of all the Cornerbacks.

p.s. im praying every night that we select thomas lol.

If thomas isn't there id select robinson, wilson or brandon graham.

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Why? I think he has the most potential out of all the Cornerbacks.

p.s. im praying every night that we select thomas lol.

If thomas isn't there id select robinson, wilson or brandon graham.

I feel like they could get Kareem Jackson in the 2nd . He is just as good if not better than robinson and wilson.

supa_fly_steeler
02-26-2010, 03:55 PM
I feel like they could get Kareem Jackson in the 2nd . He is just as good if not better than robinson and wilson.

I'm not totally sold on the Cornerbacks.

I am sold on that linebacker of yours lol :tt03:

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm not totally sold on the Cornerbacks.

I am sold on that linebacker of yours lol :tt03:

Sean Weatherspoon? Hell yeah if big Earl isn't there I hope they take him.

supa_fly_steeler
02-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Sean Weatherspoon? Hell yeah if big Earl isn't there I hope they take him.

Rolando McClain lol

[img]http://images.dailyradar.com/media/uploads/ballhype/story_large/2009/12/01/rolando_mcclain.jpg[/mg]

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Hey Tex, Bulaga has shown well. He isnt as agile as many think, but uses his feet and technique efficiently to be in great position. His mirror drill was just clinical. He shows a decent kick slide, but kind of jumped the gun a bit, which still makes me wonder if he sometimes needs that edge to makeup for something(short arms or slow feet??).

He's got great technique and decent enough feet that he should be able to play LT well in the NFL. I still think I would rather have 2 or maybe 3 other OT's before him, but he should go top10-15.

Texasteel
02-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Hey Tex, Bulaga has shown well. He isnt as agile as many think, but uses his feet and technique efficiently to be in great position. His mirror drill was just clinical. He shows a decent kick slide, but kind of jumped the gun a bit, which still makes me wonder if he sometimes needs that edge to makeup for something(short arms or slow feet??).

He's got great technique and decent enough feet that he should be able to play LT well in the NFL. I still think I would rather have 2 or maybe 3 other OT's before him, but he should go top10-15.

I think I know the 3 you are talking about, and I can't argue with that. I'm glad you a leaning in the Bulaga as a LT direction, that does make me feel much more confident. I still don't think that we have real shot at him, but would love to see him on stage holding a Steelers jersey.

You get a chance take a close look at Speivey, he is another one that I like very much.

supa_fly_steeler
02-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Me thinks Bualaga goes to Bills

Northside Jonny
02-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Me thinks Bualaga goes to Bills

Do the Bills even have a coach???

supa_fly_steeler
02-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Do the Bills even have a coach???

No idea.

Are they even deserving for a franchise lol?

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2010, 12:58 PM
I think I know the 3 you are talking about, and I can't argue with that. I'm glad you a leaning in the Bulaga as a LT direction, that does make me feel much more confident. I still don't think that we have real shot at him, but would love to see him on stage holding a Steelers jersey.

You get a chance take a close look at Speivey, he is another one that I like very much.

What do you objectively think of Moeki at TE?? I like him and think he fits the bill of a guy that can block and catch, much better than Spaeth. But I dont think we will spend an early pick on a TE.....maybe not uintil day 3 of the draft.

Texasteel
03-01-2010, 07:12 AM
What do you objectively think of Moeki at TE?? I like him and think he fits the bill of a guy that can block and catch, much better than Spaeth. But I dont think we will spend an early pick on a TE.....maybe not uintil day 3 of the draft.

You want me to be objective. Thats a little more difficult.

Tony has very good hands. Like Miller it is very unusual for him to drop a catchable ball, plus, even though he is not extremely fast, he runs well after the catch. He will seldom catch the ball and just go down. He blocks well, probably a little better that Miller did coming in. He has alway done what the coaches have asked and is not afraid of doing some of the dirty work. He is not as good as Miller, but is much better that Spaeth. IMO

Remember, this is the first year he has been really healthy, and he missed two games this years. I am hoping that his injury background might push him into the middle of the draft, we'll see. I always get a little nervous taking someone that has had a history of injuries. The game does NOT get easier from hear.

If he had stayed healthy in school, I think he could have been a 2nd round pick. Now I'm not sure where he would go.

SteelMember
03-02-2010, 11:20 AM
For what it's worth, I like Moeki. :wave: :chuckle:

Although, I think it will take a 3rd to get him.

SteelMember
03-02-2010, 11:24 AM
I still think I would rather have 2 or maybe 3 other OT's before him, but he should go top10-15.

Okung
Davis
Williams

?

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Hey Tex, here is a review of some LB's from Tony Pauline. Looks like Angerer showed good speed and pass cover ability.

Navorro Bowman/OLB/Penn State: The junior was incredibly fluid and quick on Monday. He ran solid 40 times of 4.7 but seemed much faster in drills. When asked to display his ball skills in coverage, Bowman looked more like a defensive back than linebacker.

Pat Angerer/LB/Iowa: Angerer ran faster than scouts expected and performed much better in drills than anyone could have imagined. His 40 times were in the high 4.6-area and Angerer looked terrific in pass coverage drills, dispelling the myth he's just a two-down defender.

Daryl Washington/OLB/TCU: Washington, one of the real winners from the Senior Bowl last month, again impressed scouts here in Indianapolis. He was one of the fastest linebackers of the day, with hand timings in the low 4.6s. Washington displayed incredible quickness and footwork in all the drills. He has cemented himself as a second-round selection.

Sean Weatherspoon/OLB/Missouri: Weatherspoon was impressive from start to finish. He completed 34 reps on the bench -- a total few defensive linemen beat. Weatherspoon then looked terrific in drills, moving with speed in all directions of the field.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/03/01/combine.dl/index.html?eref=sircrc#ixzz0h2MmTT8h

Northside Jonny
03-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Spoon I can't get enough of this guy very very impressive. Looks and sounds like he was born to be a Steeler

Texasteel
03-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Hey Tex, here is a review of some LB's from Tony Pauline. Looks like Angerer showed good speed and pass cover ability.

Navorro Bowman/OLB/Penn State: The junior was incredibly fluid and quick on Monday. He ran solid 40 times of 4.7 but seemed much faster in drills. When asked to display his ball skills in coverage, Bowman looked more like a defensive back than linebacker.

Pat Angerer/LB/Iowa: Angerer ran faster than scouts expected and performed much better in drills than anyone could have imagined. His 40 times were in the high 4.6-area and Angerer looked terrific in pass coverage drills, dispelling the myth he's just a two-down defender.

Daryl Washington/OLB/TCU: Washington, one of the real winners from the Senior Bowl last month, again impressed scouts here in Indianapolis. He was one of the fastest linebackers of the day, with hand timings in the low 4.6s. Washington displayed incredible quickness and footwork in all the drills. He has cemented himself as a second-round selection.

Sean Weatherspoon/OLB/Missouri: Weatherspoon was impressive from start to finish. He completed 34 reps on the bench -- a total few defensive linemen beat. Weatherspoon then looked terrific in drills, moving with speed in all directions of the field.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/03/01/combine.dl/index.html?eref=sircrc#ixzz0h2MmTT8h

That is interesting, coming from Pauline. I knew the boy had it in him. Just might move him up a little.

I'm begining to change my mind on Weatherspoon as well. If the Steelers want him the may not want to trade out of the 18th spot. I can still see him inside for us.

Northside Jonny
03-02-2010, 11:21 PM
That is interesting, coming from Pauline. I knew the boy had it in him. Just might move him up a little.

I'm begining to change my mind on Weatherspoon as well. If the Steelers want him the may not want to trade out of the 18th spot. I can still see him inside for us.

I can't wait to see what happens but I sure would like to see Spoon get a year to learn from Farrior. and then unleash him like a rabid dog.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-03-2010, 01:29 AM

Yeah, you know I like what Pauline says most of the time, because its strangely similar to what I see. That being said, I think Pauline had Cody ranked as the #27 prospect coming into the Combine and now he is slagging him for his performance.

As for Spoon, I was confused that the Steelers were scouting him heavily before the Senior Bowl, as I didnt think he was more than bottom of the 1st round value, but after the Senior Bowl and now, he is looking worth the #18 pick.

Aussie_steeler
03-03-2010, 03:53 AM
Tex - how do you see AJ Edds fitting into the steelers linebacking core.

Is he a bit of an in between guy for our system or do you see him as a good fit?

Northside Jonny
03-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Tex - how do you see AJ Edds fitting into the steelers linebacking core.

Is he a bit of an in between guy for our system or do you see him as a good fit?

I don't think Edds is athletic enough to ever be good fit!

Texasteel
03-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Edds is a work horse, and a disciplined player. He will do what ever the coach ask, and doesn't care who gets the credit. He finishes his tackles, which seems to be a lost art some times, and is better in coverage that some think. He did have 5 ints this year. Still I think he would do better in a 4-3 defense.

Northside Jonny
03-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Edds is a work horse, and a disciplined player. He will do what ever the coach ask, and doesn't care who gets the credit. He finishes his tackles, which seems to be a lost art some times, and is better in coverage that some think. He did have 5 ints this year. Still I think he would do better in a 4-3 defense.

I don't question his brains or character, I question his athletic ability translating to the NFL.

Texasteel
03-03-2010, 09:11 PM
I don't question his brains or character, I question his athletic ability translating to the NFL.

I believe that Edds will catch on with a team and do very well, if only on ST. I think you are underrating his ability just a little.