PDA

View Full Version : Source: Hampton agrees to contract with Steelers

SqhillSteeler
02-25-2010, 09:22 AM
KDKA TV in Pittsburgh reports a source says nose tackle Casey Hampton has agreed to a three year, $21 million contract to stay with the team – with $11 million of the contract guaranteed.

Today is the deadline for the Steelers to use either of their franchise or transition tags.

SqhillSteeler
02-25-2010, 09:23 AM
http://kdka.com/steelers/Casey.Hampton.Steelers.2.1519203.html

pete74
02-25-2010, 09:42 AM
that would be great news. i still want a NT in the 2nd round though. now we can tag reed and clark

stillers4me
02-25-2010, 09:48 AM
This would be great! It would allow us the extra tag to keep someone else. Hope it's true.....thanks Big Snack!

SqhillSteeler
02-25-2010, 09:50 AM
http://postgazette.com/pg/10056/1038588-66.stm

Now Ed is reporting it so it must be true.

pete74
02-25-2010, 09:54 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-wilson_steelers_agree_to_terms_with_hampton_html-2010225&prov=nfp&type=lgns

wilson also reported it so it looks like a done deal. that is some great news for the team

stillers4me
02-25-2010, 09:56 AM
It's official.....:chuckle:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/25/steelers-hampton-set-to-announce-new-deal/

StainlessStill
02-25-2010, 09:59 AM
Great news and well deserved for Casey. This puts the Steelers in better position to spend elsewhere while getting all the years out of one of the best NT's in the league! Kudos to the Steelers for making it happen.

SetTheTone10
02-25-2010, 10:10 AM
thank you casey hampton. it feels like a weight lifted off of the steelers nations chest lol.

steelballs
02-25-2010, 10:13 AM
This is great news. Casey deserves it and it allows the Steelers more flexibility in negotiations going forward.

AllD
02-25-2010, 10:28 AM
He can now retire with class as a Steeler.

Steelerfreak58
02-25-2010, 10:36 AM
This is awesome! I already had a ton of respect for Hampton this just shows how much he really wanted to stay with the organization. He could have went elsewhere for more money but he is staying with us and the organization didn't have to utilize the tag.

Fire Haley
02-25-2010, 10:40 AM
One less hole to fill.

Maybe now we can take OL with the first two picks.

vrabinec
02-25-2010, 10:51 AM
I absolutely LOVE that it's only a 3 year deal. Good job F.O.

Vincent
02-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Omar is something freekin else. What a beautiful deal.

steelpride12
02-25-2010, 11:07 AM
3 year deal is perfect and thank you Hampton for signing and hopefully finishing up a Steeler!

jjpro11
02-25-2010, 11:10 AM
that is awesome.. i thought for sure he'd go for an absurd contract somewhere else. big props to big Casey! :thumbsup:

mulldog24
02-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Glad to see you stay "snacks" !!! I hope you retire as a Steeler.

SteelMember
02-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Well, the pressure is certainly off a little. Glad it (finally) got done. :thumbsup:

We only need to take the future NT in round 3 or 4 now, and not have to hang big expectations on a rookie.

Now, we can more concentrate on BPA. Maybe even cb or safety...

Anyone heard of this kid Earl Thomas out of Texas? :chuckle:

Psyychoward86
02-25-2010, 11:27 AM
"The $7 million average over three years falls far short of the high end of the market for defensive lineman, which currently is in the range of $12 million annually."

WOW, are marquee defensive linemen seriously that expensive now? So does that mean were retaining Hampton cheaply? :jawdrop:

im very happy to retain his services. It still wouldnt hurt to have more depth on the d-line though

kmsteelerwr15
02-25-2010, 11:34 AM
This is great to see him come to an agreement, and like what everyone else says, I hope he retires a Steeler.

Nadroj 20
02-25-2010, 11:35 AM
Awesome this has been a good day.

Steeldude
02-25-2010, 11:38 AM
dan williams and cody will not be picked. i doubt a NT will be taken on the first day, if at all.

which means the steelers will be picking a DB, LB or OL in the first round, but i won't be surprised if they waste it on a RB, TE or WR in the first.

GBMelBlount
02-25-2010, 11:52 AM
One less hole to fill.

Maybe now we can take OL with the first two picks.

wishful thinking.

GBMelBlount
02-25-2010, 11:54 AM
"The $7 million average over three years falls far short of the high end of the market for defensive lineman, which currently is in the range of $12 million annually."

Plus if you look at this deal price per pound, we REALLY kicked azz. :thumbsup:

GutterflowerSteel
02-25-2010, 11:55 AM
What a relief! I'm glad that Casey decided to take the deal :tt02:

Dino 6 Rings
02-25-2010, 12:08 PM
I wonder if there was a "don't show up to camp fat" clause. Just being silly, I like Snack.

Glad to have him back, he's a true asset on that defense.

stlrz fan
02-25-2010, 12:12 PM
A little vote of confidence for the defense. Glad to see this worked out, I would be happy to see him play out his career here. Looks like it now.

fansince'76
02-25-2010, 12:27 PM

WOW, are marquee defensive linemen seriously that expensive now? So does that mean were retaining Hampton cheaply? :jawdrop:

Well, you gotta figure that idiot in D.C. paid $100 mil for a DT, which I'm sure ups that average quite a bit.

Psyychoward86
02-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Well, you gotta figure that idiot in D.C. paid $100 mil for a DT, which I'm sure ups that average quite a bit.

oh yeah, i forgot about Haynseworth. I guess we didnt get Hampton THAT cheaply

Steely McSmash
02-25-2010, 12:31 PM
dan williams and cody will not be picked. i doubt a NT will be taken on the first day, if at all.

"First day" is now just round 1 actually. I do hope they still take a guy in rounds 1-4. Hampton is still old after all.

ricksteelers55
02-25-2010, 12:53 PM
that would be great news. i still want a NT in the 2nd round though. now we can tag reed and clark

thanks but no thanks.

Reed as a franchise makes sense,but not interested in paying Clark 6 mil a year sorry

ricardisimo
02-25-2010, 12:57 PM

which means the steelers will be picking a DB, LB or OL in the first round, but i won't be surprised if they waste it on a RB, TE or WR in the first.

You figure a three-year deal means they draft someone in the first or second next year, which allows that new guy a year to learn the ropes and another to split time or take over, which seems fairly routine for the Steelers lately.

For those of you who follow college football closely: Who are the premiere, or up-and-coming underclassmen DTs right now who might be coming out next year?

SteelerFanInStl
02-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Good to see Big Snack is staying and it looks like a good contract. As was said previously, I think that 3 years is a good length. The Steelers still need to draft a NT this year though, just not as early.

steelreserve
02-25-2010, 01:34 PM

Whoever wrote that has his head up his ass. $12 million nowhere near the "going rate" - it's the value of the franchise tag for defensive ends, and it's only that high because Julius Peppers had that ridiculous one-time deal for $19 million last year. After than, the next-highest are two guys are making $11 million, and those are high-profile glam pass rushers like Dwight Freeney and Jared Allen. (Richard Seymour is on the books for $12 million currently, but that's the result of him getting the inflated franchise tag and probably won't stand. I would also expect the value of the tag will come DOWN significantly next year with Peppers' salary no longer messing things up for everyone.)

No defensive tackle made more than $9 million last year, and that was Tommie Harris, who got about $600K in base salary and an $8.5 million bonus for making the Pro Bowl. Even Haynesworth was only $7 million against the cap, and Hampton was right behind him. The going rate for the best DTs in the league is about what Hampton got.

Psyychoward86
02-25-2010, 01:35 PM
This is the perfect year to find our heir apparent for Hampton. 3 years will be plenty of time for that heir apparent to be groomed. If this draft is heavily talented anywhere, it's at defensive tackle and offensive tackle.

steelreserve
02-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Also, I should add that I think Hampton's deal is about as perfect as I could've hoped for, for everyone's sake. Glad to see that rational thought prevailed over c0cky-agent, self-entitlement bullshit. I guess Hampton is not quite the greedy bastard I'd feared.

CanadianSteel
02-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Major Props to "Big Snack" and hope he is hitting the treadmill to celebrate as we speak...:chuckle:

He takes allot of flack for being out of shape but the man come to play on Sundays and has been a rock in the middle of the D for years. Here's hoping he has a couple good years left.

Despite some recent comments.... I think Casey has some good "Steeler" chacter as well, I mean how many probowlers would run wind sprints at training camp alone after being berated by the coach and not complain. Tomlin was setting an exampple and Big Casey could have taken it the other way but he shut his mouth and goit in game shape and is still a solid NT.

Props to Steelers and Snack - seems like good deal for both sides and makes the draft more interesting.

HometownGal
02-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Excellent! :applaudit: :hatsoff:

Hopefully the Steelers will draft Snacker's heir and that he will come into TC in shape and ready to earn that paycheck. :hope:

Prok
02-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Good deal for both parties.

I still want a DT early. Can never have enough good DL IMO.

We'll prolly still go BPA but our priorities still are OL DL and CB imo.

Now kinda hoping a Haden drops a bit so we can trade up n nab him.

steelerdude15
02-25-2010, 03:06 PM
:banana: Hopefully he retires as a Steeler too!

pancake
02-25-2010, 03:08 PM
Good deal for both parties.

I still want a DT early. Can never have enough good DL IMO.

We'll prolly still go BPA but our priorities still are OL DL and CB imo.

Now kinda hoping a Haden drops a bit so we can trade up n nab him.

Love to have a shot at Haden, but I don't think we will.

Prok
02-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Love to have a shot at Haden, but I don't think we will.

Steelers karma. I'm going to do everything possible to will teams to pass on him b4 he gets in our striking distance. :tt:

pete74
02-25-2010, 03:25 PM
there is no way Haden will fall to 18. moving up is our only option to land him and we wont do that

AllD
02-25-2010, 03:43 PM
It was a fair deal for both sides. Hopefully he honors his deal and doesn't slack 'snack' off.

ricardisimo
02-25-2010, 04:31 PM
there is no way Haden will fall to 18. moving up is our only option to land him and we wont do that

Don't be so sure. We've moved up in the first round on numerous occasions. Will we move up high enough to get Haden? That I doubt.

Northside Jonny
02-25-2010, 04:35 PM
WELCOME BACK SNACK !
http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/na/archive/00690/hampton_6905294x3.jpg

Now I don't have to buy a new jersey.
http://www.fansedge.com/Images/Product/41-16/41-16360-F.jpg

Steel_Bus_24
02-25-2010, 05:20 PM
way to get it done FO:tt02:

Chidi29
02-25-2010, 05:37 PM
The important thing in the deal ia not the average salary or his base salary. It is all about the guaranteed money. Everything else in football means squat and there's a good chance that when he is entering the final year of his deal, he could be cut. That base salary means very little to me.

Sounds like he's going to get $11 million guaranteed. That averages out to 3.66 million per year. Although less important, I assume his base salary will be around 3.25-3.5 throughout the deal.

Comparing the guaranteed to other players, a little harder to do since so many 3-4 NTs (Wilfork, Pickett, Franklin) all got slapped with the tag, the numbers are as follows.

Haynesworth: 5.85 million per year
Tommie Harris: 4.5
Domata Peko: 1.2 (Bengals got a really good deal)
Kelly Gregg: 875K
Shaun Rogers: 3.33
Kris Jenkins: 1.9
Jay Ratliff: 1.6

Average from all: 2.75
Average from Nose Tackles: 2.28

So we did overpay on both accounts. It's even slightly worse than you're talking about a guy who is older and has more wear and tear than a good majority on the list. And guys like Rogers and Jenkins, who have similar ageas and mileage, got less money.

I am, to be frank, shocked that we got a deal done, and it could have been a worse deal (Inflation would be a small part of how the deal looks) but it's obvious that Casey was able to use his leverage against us. Here's to hoping he ends up playing at a high level for the rest of his time. :drink:

Gnutella
02-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Plus if you look at this deal price per pound, we REALLY kicked azz. :thumbsup:

The price per pound is $1. :sofunny:

theplatypus
02-25-2010, 05:58 PM
AWESOME!!

Psyychoward86
02-25-2010, 06:33 PM
It was a fair deal for both sides. Hopefully he honors his deal and doesn't slack 'snack' off.

i swear to god, if i had a penny for every time someone questioned Casey's work ethic, i would be set for life.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-25-2010, 06:43 PM
Yay!

tony hipchest
02-25-2010, 06:49 PM
excellent. as i was saying on tuesday...

3 years/ 21 million. $10 mil guaranteed (thats not too far off of the franchise value). the guarantee can be his base salary with 5.5. mil counting the next 2 years each, this way if we do need to cut him we do not have any dead money in amortized signing bonus. if we have to count him towards a future cap by keeping him, it is not much more than his cap value now.

im glad the front office listens to atleast a few people on these boards. :applaudit:

i still gotta look into this 30% rule. i dont understand if it is 30% of the new total contract, old contract, past year base salary, or past year cap value.

it cant be last years base salary, because this new contract is said to be heavilly front loaded (which does wonders for the next 2 years).

steelreserve
02-25-2010, 07:08 PM
The important thing in the deal ia not the average salary or his base salary. It is all about the guaranteed money. Everything else in football means squat and there's a good chance that when he is entering the final year of his deal, he could be cut. That base salary means very little to me.

Sounds like he's going to get $11 million guaranteed. That averages out to 3.66 million per year. Although less important, I assume his base salary will be around 3.25-3.5 throughout the deal.

I'm not sure looking ONLY at the guaranteed money is the right way to do it either. Yeah, there's a CHANCE he could miss out on the non-guaranteed part, but there's almost no chance he misses all of it (which would basically require him being cut before the 2010 season, which ain't happening). To put it another way, the more of it we write off as fake "contract fluff," the less likely it will actually work out the way.

Basically, it looks like there's an average of $3.33 million in non-guaranteed money available for each season he actually plays. If it was an Albert Haynesworth deal, that's be backloaded something like $1M-$1.5M-$7.5M, and guess how likely he'd be to NOT be cut or restructured before that third year. But rumor has it Hampton's deal is frontloaded (smart movein an uncapped year, though slightly risky), so it could be more like $5M-$2.5M-$2.5M. He plays one year, and the "real" money goes up to $16M.

Let's just split the difference and assume "frontloaded" means $3.33M-$3.33M-$3.33M. You can still expect about $18M of the $21M deal to be what he'll realistically earn, because I doubt we're keeping him less than two seasons unless we find out he's a serial rapist. Otherwise, why not franchise him, duh. The length of the deal helps dictate how realistic it is to expect more than the guaranteed part -- a 6-year deal, and yes, chances are you'll never see that sixth year, but with a 3-year deal most you don't shave as much by cutting him with one season to go.

So unlike a Haynesworth deal, it does sound to me like we're actually planning on paying him the great majority of it, if not all of it. Frontloading it also makes the third year seem kind of like a team option for 2012.

So we did overpay on both accounts. It's even slightly worse than you're talking about a guy who is older and has more wear and tear than a good majority on the list. And guys like Rogers and Jenkins, who have similar ageas and mileage, got less money.

I agree, we may have overpaid by a little, but we could've done a lot worse given the situation we were in. The Hampton situation REALLY had us over a barrel, and while he's definitely well-paid, I think the value to us in solving our own problem is worth it.

I am, to be frank, shocked that we got a deal done, and it could have been a worse deal (Inflation would be a small part of how the deal looks) but it's obvious that Casey was able to use his leverage against us. Here's to hoping he ends up playing at a high level for the rest of his time. :drink:

Now that's an understatement. This had disgruntled offseason controversy written all over it.

I actually think we probably were able to use our leverage against Hampton as much as he was able to use his against us. If he was going to make some ridiculous demand like $11 million a year and not back down, the fact that the franchise tag was lower took the bite out of that threat. But he was able to use it as leverage to get us to basically pay franchise level for three years.

Oh well. I think it worked out about as well as could be expected, which is with no hurt feelings and neither side going to the poorhouse. Definite :hatsoff: to the front office on this one.

Psyychoward86
02-25-2010, 07:31 PM

im glad the front office listens to atleast a few people on these boards. :applaudit:

i still gotta look into this 30% rule. i dont understand if it is 30% of the new total contract, old contract, past year base salary, or past year cap value.

it cant be last years base salary, because this new contract is said to be heavilly front loaded (which does wonders for the next 2 years).

you are scary good at this...

tony hipchest
02-25-2010, 08:48 PM
I agree, we may have overpaid by a little, but we could've done a lot worse given the situation we were in. The Hampton situation REALLY had us over a barrel, and while he's definitely well-paid, I think the value to us in solving our own problem is worth it.

.green bay tagged NT ryan pickett, and the 49ers tagged aubroyo franklin (and of course the pats with v. wilfork).

i dont think we overpaid, its just that the market and value of these players is just finally catching up.

pat kirwan called it over a week ago-

4. Players that should be tagged
Let's take a look at the situation in Oakland, where the Raiders traded for Seymour and gave away a lot in compensation for a player in the last year of his contract. Now, the Raiders have to franchise Seymour at $12.398 million.

As mentioned earlier, the 3-4 nose tackles will dominate the tagging process this offseason. The recent contracts of Albert Haynesworth, Shaun Rogers and Kris Jenkins complicate matters. Still, the 49ers' Aubrayo Franklin, the Patriots' Vince Wilfork and perhaps even the Steelers' Casey Hampton could all get tagged at $7.003 million.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8166bda9&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Chidi29
02-25-2010, 08:48 PM

30% means annual salary can't increase by more than 30%.

The "30% Rule" governs veteran contracts that are entered into in a capped year and extend into the final year of the CBA. The rule states that these contracts cannot have an annual increase of more than 30% of the salary, excluding amounts treated as a signing bonus, provided for in the FINAL CAPPED YEAR.

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

And for the record, Steelers.com said that the 30% rule will carry over into the uncapped 2010 year, contrary to what this site says.

steelerdave1969
02-25-2010, 08:57 PM
I think the Steelers have did themselves very well and kept the two most important players of the 3 free agents, a.k.a. Ryan Clark being left out so far. I would love to see them keep Clark around and keep Mundy on the bench unless he can unseat clark. I love the fact that they got Reed franchised and will have him for a few more years as most likely he will get signed to a long term deal.

Chidi29
02-25-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm not sure looking ONLY at the guaranteed money is the right way to do it either. Yeah, there's a CHANCE he could miss out on the non-guaranteed part, but there's almost no chance he misses all of it (which would basically require him being cut before the 2010 season, which ain't happening). To put it another way, the more of it we write off as fake "contract fluff," the less likely it will actually work out the way.

Basically, it looks like there's an average of $3.33 million in non-guaranteed money available for each season he actually plays. If it was an Albert Haynesworth deal, that's be backloaded something like $1M-$1.5M-$7.5M, and guess how likely he'd be to NOT be cut or restructured before that third year. But rumor has it Hampton's deal is frontloaded (smart movein an uncapped year, though slightly risky), so it could be more like $5M-$2.5M-$2.5M. He plays one year, and the "real" money goes up to $16M.

Let's just split the difference and assume "frontloaded" means $3.33M-$3.33M-$3.33M. You can still expect about $18M of the $21M deal to be what he'll realistically earn, because I doubt we're keeping him less than two seasons unless we find out he's a serial rapist. Otherwise, why not franchise him, duh. The length of the deal helps dictate how realistic it is to expect more than the guaranteed part -- a 6-year deal, and yes, chances are you'll never see that sixth year, but with a 3-year deal most you don't shave as much by cutting him with one season to go.

So unlike a Haynesworth deal, it does sound to me like we're actually planning on paying him the great majority of it, if not all of it. Frontloading it also makes the third year seem kind of like a team option for 2012.

Now that's an understatement. This had disgruntled offseason controversy written all over it.

I actually think we probably were able to use our leverage against Hampton as much as he was able to use his against us. If he was going to make some ridiculous demand like $11 million a year and not back down, the fact that the franchise tag was lower took the bite out of that threat. But he was able to use it as leverage to get us to basically pay franchise level for three years.

Oh well. I think it worked out about as well as could be expected, which is with no hurt feelings and neither side going to the poorhouse. Definite :hatsoff: to the front office on this one.

Even discarding the potential work ethic issues, any players in his mid-30s and on the decline wants that last big deal as Casey does/did. The best way to be set for the rest of your career is through the signing bonus and the guaranteed money. That's the only part of a contract that is guaranteed. Yearly base salary is not, unlike the case in basketball. Even roster bonuses aren't completely guaranteed because if you get cut before the day that it's due to do, you don't get any of it.

I can't see this deal being too backloaded or frontloaded because if I'm reading the 30% rule correctly, there isn't much wiggle room. Taking out the guaranteed money, he'll be owed, what 10.6 million over three years. That first year salary has to be more than 3.25 million in order to get to the 10.6 overall. At 3.25 million, you're still going to be about 500K shortof the 10.6 even if you max out that 30%.

Who knows what the situation will be look as he enters the last year of his deal.LeBeau will likely be gone; Tomlin could go in a different direction with the defense. You gota figure we'll have drafted a replacement by that point who couldpush Hampton.

The two toughest and mort imporant parts of the deal was the guaranteed and the length (More years typically include more guaranteed money).

Personally, and I hate being *that guy* and spinning this negatively, because I do like the fact that we were able to re-sign him at not a totally absurd rate, is that the only way the franchise tag would have hurt his leverage and lower his asking price was if he didn't want to work anymore and just took what he could get when faced with the threat of being tagged and having to work, and hope his body holds up, to try to get another deal next season, which would be harder to do as he gets older. *Unless his market value is lower than we think it is). To me, Hampton and his agent controlled much of the battle.

SteelerNation12
02-25-2010, 09:12 PM
GREAT NEWS! Was worried he may of tested the market.

tony hipchest
02-25-2010, 09:13 PM
30% means annual salary can't increase by more than 30%.

The "30% Rule" governs veteran contracts that are entered into in a capped year and extend into the final year of the CBA. The rule states that these contracts cannot have an annual increase of more than 30% of the salary, excluding amounts treated as a signing bonus, provided for in the FINAL CAPPED YEAR.

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

And for the record, Steelers.com said that the 30% rule will carry over into the uncapped 2010 year, contrary to what this site says.

thanks. exactly how i thought, so my example is exactly how it will be done. hampton will essentially have a base salary of $12 mil this season and 2 remaining years at $4.5 mil apiece. this is PERFECT for the steelers, especially assuming there is no lockout and a cap is restored.

from your link-

Note: I have provided this example to reflect another important point. With the 2010 season being uncapped, there are special rules governing how much money can be pushed into the future. In reality, a contract like the one listed above is NOT actually valid under the present set of circumstances, since the final year is currently set to be an uncapped season. The contract would not be allowed as it would have specifically violated the league's "30% Rule". The "30% Rule" governs veteran contracts that are entered into in a capped year and extend into the final year of the CBA. The rule states that these contracts cannot have an annual increase of more than 30% of the salary, excluding amounts treated as a signing bonus, provided for in the FINAL CAPPED YEAR. If the CBA is not extended, then 2009 will be the final capped year and this contract would not be valid. ]

3 things-

-hamptons contract is entered into an uncapped year not a capped one.

-the 30% rule says the contract cannot increase in value by 30%. hamptons will actually decrease.

-- the rule is to prevent teams from backloading contracts. hamptons is frontloaded.

mesaSteeler
02-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Steelers Prove They're Serious About Winning Now By Re-Signing Casey Hampton
by Blitzburgh on Feb 25, 2010 4:37 PM EST
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/2/25/1326583/steelers-prove-theyre-serious

For the past several years, I've felt and written that the Pittsburgh Steelers peak window for competing for Lombardi Trophys would be in 2010-2012. In 2008, the Steelers wowed us with their remarkable run to Super Bowl win number six, but considering how the offense performed for most of the season, I think most of us realize that the Steelers were fairly fortunate to win one for the other thumb in 2008.

I thought the team would be better than they were in 2009, but injuries to key stalwarts on defense and the inexperience of many of the young players thrust into action played a role in the team's struggles. There was however important progress made and experience gained last season. The offensive line was better, Rashard Mendenhall proved he can be a workhorse 1,200+ yard type of 'back, Big Ben (for most of the season at least) played like a quarterback that was really 'getting' it in terms of understanding what NFL defenses try to do to confuse opposing offenses.

Still, I felt like 2010 and 2011 were really the years that the Steelers would peak. Big Ben would be a full fledged veteran who had seen just about everything a defense can throw at him; Hines Ward would still be able to contribute while Santonio Holmes would be an established, legit #1 option; Woodley and Timmons would no longer be 'young' guys learning the ropes; the offensive line would presumably get a bit better; etc etc.

To me though, the team needed to retain the big man in the trenches who's responsible for so much of what happens at the point of attack. Casey Hampton is that good in my estimation and well worth every dollar he commands for his ability to disrupt the running game. Sure he may not be an every down player anymore, but he's not at all 'over the hill' in terms of his core strength and ability to occupy space effectively and consistently.

The terms of Hampton's deal are reportedly 3 years and $21 million dollars, $11 of which is guaranteed. To me, this appears to be an extremely fair deal for both parties. Make no mistake about it though, Hampton could have made more somewhere else. I think that will become evident when we see what kind of contract Vince Wilfork eventually gets in New England or elsewhere. I guarantee you it will be for more total dollars and more guaranteed money. And no, Wilfork is not better than Hampton now. In fact, I don't think he's ever been as good as Big Snack.

To conclude for now, I found it interesting in Kevin Colbert's press conference from the Combine that he mentioned Hampton's leadership qualities and status in the locker room. Nose tackles don't often get much airtime or feature articles in the media, but remember the ESPN The Magazine article about the Steelers defense around the Super Bowl last year? Take a read and a look at the complimentary video feature about the unit. There's Big Snack front and center.

I was growing up in Austin, Texas when Hampton was dominating for the Longhorns at the University of Texas. I remember reading and hearing about how Hampton could bench press over 450 pounds when he was just a sophomore. He was the strongest guy on the squad when he walked onto the campus as a freshmen, and that reality didn't change until he'd graduate and move onto the NFL.

The Steelers identified Hampton's uniquely rare gift of being huge but not fat. I've been told by scouts that this combination is one of the primary things teams look for in their interior linemen on both offense and defense. Hampton is just that. A true beast in the middle. And though his absolute best days are behind him, he's still very much capable of anchoring the Steelers defensive line for another couple of years.

Because I think the team is in great, great shape to make a run at Lombardi Trophies number seven and eight this next two to three years, I couldn't be more excited that the Steelers were able to get a deal done with what's been one of the most integral cogs of their defense for the past decade.

Go Steelers!

mesaSteeler
02-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Hampton deal a good one
http://www.observer-reporter.com/www/sidelines/index.html
posted by Dale Lolley at 8:09 PM 0 Comments Links to this post

After learning of the terms of Casey Hampton's new deal with the Steelers – three years at just over $21 million with $11 million guaranteed - I couldn't help but think about what a bargain the Steelers got.

Think about it.

Had they franchised Hampton, he would have been guaranteed $7 million in 2010 and would have been a free agent again after that.

So for $4 million more in guaranteed money, they can keep him in 2011 and 2012 as well. That's not too bad.

When you also consider Hampton counted just under $7 million against the team's cap in 2009, you also see the value in this deal.

Pittsburgh can now select a nose tackle in the draft and not feel the need to rush him into the lineup.

© Hampton's deal also allowed the Steelers the opportunity to place the franchise tag on placekicker Jeff Reed. While some felt it would be prudent to franchise Hampton to keep him hungry for his next contract, it makes more sense with Reed.

He's been arrested twice in the past year - while supposedly playing for a contract. Now, perhaps he'll keep his nose clean in an effort to get a long-term deal.

© Of interest Thursday was the fact New Orleans didn't tender offers to running back Mike Bell or guard Jahri Evans. Both would interest me as unrestricted free agents if I were in the Steelers' front office.

posted by Dale Lolley at 8:09 PM 0 Comments Links to this post

Chidi29
02-25-2010, 10:00 PM
thanks. exactly how i thought, so my example is exactly how it will be done. hampton will essentially have a base salary of $12 mil this season and 2 remaining years at $4.5 mil apiece. this is PERFECT for the steelers, especially assuming there is no lockout and a cap is restored.

from your link-

3 things-

-hamptons contract is entered into an uncapped year not a capped one.

-the 30% rule says the contract cannot increase in value by 30%. hamptons will actually decrease.

-- the rule is to prevent teams from backloading contracts. hamptons is frontloaded.

Yeah, you're probably right about the rule only effecting backloading. And it would make more sense that if Hampton possible sacrificed the chance to get more guaranteed money on the open market next year, he'd try to make up for that by having the contract frontloaded. His age is also a part of that. That all goes back to the leverage that he had against us.

However, as I stated, according to an article on Steelers.com released awhile ago, the 30% rule will still be in place despite the fact this is an uncapped year.

http://news.steelers.com/article/116960/

Yes, some rules like the “30% increase rule” are still in effect in the Final League Year for player contracts signed in capped years. That rule restricts salary increases from 2009 to 2010. For example: a player with a $500,000 salary in 2009 would be limited to annual salary increases of $150,000 ($500,000 x 30%) beginning in 2010.

And since Casey was techinclly signed in a cap year, the CBA doesn't offically expire until the new season begins on March 5th, the rule wil still apply to him. I suppose that this doesn't apply once free agency begins? I dunno, this is pretty confusing.

Rick5895
02-25-2010, 10:07 PM
we can now draft a ILB or DB with our pick at 18 although I read on Mayocks blog that the center from Florida Pouncey has intrigued the Steelers. I beleive we can get a NT in the 2nd or 3rd. Cody will likely drop to the 2nd round. We might also be able to trade down now and get an extra 2nd .

tony hipchest
02-25-2010, 10:29 PM
And since Casey was techinclly signed in a cap year, the CBA doesn't offically expire until the new season begins on March 5th, the rule wil still apply to him. I suppose that this doesn't apply once free agency begins? I dunno, this is pretty confusing.yeah, its definitely confusing. when it comes to contractual language and the legalities, there is a huge difference between-

"hamptons contract is entered into an uncapped year" and "hampton technically signed it in a cap year".

to me it seems the 30% rule was a little provision to actually help the players several years back and assure they get as much up front as possible. :noidea:

Northside Jonny
02-25-2010, 10:34 PM
we can now draft a ILB or DB with our pick at 18 although I read on Mayocks blog that the center from Florida Pouncey has intrigued the Steelers. I beleive we can get a NT in the 2nd or 3rd. Cody will likely drop to the 2nd round. We might also be able to trade down now and get an extra 2nd .

Agreed the signing of Snack Attack is going to open up so many more options for the FO come draft day. ONCE AGAIN THE STEELER ORGANIZATION PROVES THEY ARE ONE OF THE BEST FRANCHISES IN ALL OF SPORTS!!! I bet you Art is up there in heaven smokin a cigar with a big old smile on his face today! :hatsoff:

ricardisimo
02-26-2010, 12:14 AM

Your argument only makes sense if he never plays a down. If he plays three years he's getting something very much like the reported $21 million. Same with Haynesworth and the rest... They're all playing, so the guaranteed is not pertinent.

Galax Steeler
02-26-2010, 04:26 AM
This is good news getting him signed and hopefully he will go out there and earn his paycheck.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2010, 10:23 AM
This is a solid deal for the Steelers and my guess is that Hampton will be around to play out the 3 years of his contract....just like Faneca, Smith, Parker and others have done.

They can now look at a NT in the draft and not expect him to have to play for at least 2-3 years. My guess is they target somebody later like Troup or Thomas and let them compete with Hoke for the job.....or they might leave NT alone this year altogether.

I'm happy to have Hampton and his work ethic on the team, despite what the now clueless minority might think.

Chidi29
02-26-2010, 11:50 AM
yeah, its definitely confusing. when it comes to contractual language and the legalities, there is a huge difference between-

"hamptons contract is entered into an uncapped year" and "hampton technically signed it in a cap year".

to me it seems the 30% rule was a little provision to actually help the players several years back and assure they get as much up front as possible. :noidea:

The rule was put in place so teams couldn't exploit plauyers and severely backload players contracts to the point where they could cut them before the huge money was due, basically ripping off the player.

The more I think about it, the more I think you're right. The deal has to be heavily frontoloaded. At minimum, that first year base salary will also be all but guaranteed. Anyone want to take a stab at what that would be? 6 million? Just throwing a number out there. So that would make it $17 million guaranteed. Rotoworld.com posts contract numbers for most guys and hopefully they'll get all the detailed information up soon.

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 01:42 PM
This is good news getting him signed and hopefully he will go out there and earn his paycheck.

Well he's never been one to just collect a paycheck , I'm sure he will continue to give an A effort.:tt04:

steelreserve
02-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Your argument only makes sense if he never plays a down. If he plays three years he's getting something very much like the reported $21 million. Same with Haynesworth and the rest... They're all playing, so the guaranteed is not pertinent.

Yeah, his point was that for deals like Haynesworth's, the odds of him collecting on the final year or two are close to zero. The OP just fails to see the difference between that and Hampton's contract, where the odds of him NOT playing the whole thing are close to zero.

I mean ... let's face it, Haynesworth is going to have to sign a new deal or be released after about year 5 of his contract. So in that one case, the OP is right. That logic just doesn't apply to every contract everywhere. I mean, in Hampton's case, it would be stupid of us to release him early and it wouldn't save us much money at all.

Chidi29
02-27-2010, 12:50 AM
Yeah, his point was that for deals like Haynesworth's, the odds of him collecting on the final year or two are close to zero. The OP just fails to see the difference between that and Hampton's contract, where the odds of him NOT playing the whole thing are close to zero.

I mean ... let's face it, Haynesworth is going to have to sign a new deal or be released after about year 5 of his contract. So in that one case, the OP is right. That logic just doesn't apply to every contract everywhere. I mean, in Hampton's case, it would be stupid of us to release him early and it wouldn't save us much money at all.

I was just trying to use a baseline for all players to make it easier to compare.

I could see Hampton getting cut when he enters the last year of his deal. Assuming there's a cap, the cap hit would be minimal.

tony hipchest
02-27-2010, 01:15 AM
I was just trying to use a baseline for all players to make it easier to compare.

I could see Hampton getting cut when he enters the last year of his deal. Assuming there's a cap, the cap hit would be minimal.by no means am i a cap expert, and in this case, wont even pretend to be so, until i see the parameters of his deal, but i am almost certain if we cut him after 2 years it will be a cap savings as opposed to a cap hit (keep in mind, this deal is frontloaded as opposed to backloaded).

its like with duce staley. when he was cut we still had the pro-rated portion of his bonus (2-3 years) to pay off. that amount is paid off and counts towards the cap in the following year, and is known as 'dead money'. the same as when we released simmons.

that is why you see so many teams dumping high priced players such as westbrook and tomlinson. they can dump a high priced veteran, and eat the amortized portion of their contract in an uncapped year.

joey porter is a 'victim' of this sort of "cleaning house". alot of other players, too. we will see a number of veterans being dumped in the next 2 weeks for this reason alone. antonio bryant wont get jack from the bucks after the franchise tag was placed on him. d. sproles wont either. the jets will have no problem dumping thomas jones (one of the most productive rb's since joining the jets) if he doesnt agree to a paycut.

if a team is gonna eat dead money, they are best served eating it in an uncapped year.

steelreserve
02-27-2010, 03:05 AM
by no means am i a cap expert, and in this case, wont even pretend to be so, until i see the parameters of his deal, but i am almost certain if we cut him after 2 years it will be a cap savings as opposed to a cap hit (keep in mind, this deal is frontloaded as opposed to backloaded).

If we cut him after two years, we'd save his base pay but eat a third of the bonus ($3.6M) in dead money. So yes, we'd free up some dollars if that's what you mean by "savings," but overall we'd be taking a penalty by paying money to a guy who's no longer on the team.

With a frontloaded deal, I'm guessing we'd save something like $1M-$2M in base pay for that third year, and the rest is a sunk cost that we can't get back, period. So the question we'll face is whether we think Hampton is worth $1M-$2M in 2012. My guess is HELL YES. Which means I think it's highly likely that he plays out his entire contract, and retires as a Steeler unless he plays until age 38 or something. Even then, maybe.