PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Reed tagged......

stillers4me
02-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Just got a text that we used the franchise tag on Reed.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Designate-Reed-Franchise-Player/025f3438-1832-4362-8206-02a26651ee39

HometownGal
02-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the news Sue. :drink:

Sounds good to me! :applaudit: :banana: :applaudit:

steelpride12
02-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Im not complaining one bit this day is turning out just right. Hampton actually signs for 3 years to stay and Reed get's the tag and we keep him Great news thanks for the update Woo!

X-Terminator
02-25-2010, 11:08 AM
That means he gets $2.8 million for this season. It also means he will likely get more than that per season in a long-term deal. I'm fine with this - why take a chance on someone else when you already have a more than reliable kicker on the roster? Hopefully they get a deal done soon.

Nadroj 20
02-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Good news....hopefully this isnt just a short term fix and they can get a deal done.

mulldog24
02-25-2010, 11:20 AM
I am glad both Reed and Hampton will be back but has anyone heard anything about Clark?

supa_fly_steeler
02-25-2010, 11:22 AM
thats not good news. what if he gets grumpy and misses kicks on purpose?

kmsteelerwr15
02-25-2010, 11:35 AM
I think this is awesome that we were able to get so much done today.

stillers4me
02-25-2010, 11:38 AM

:willy:

Psyychoward86
02-25-2010, 11:38 AM
omgomgomg what if he starts getting in more trouble and getting lazy like all tagged players do :rolleyes:

Nadroj 20
02-25-2010, 11:44 AM

We get to keep one of the most accurate kickers in the NFL for at least another year, this is good news :coffee:

zulater
02-25-2010, 11:46 AM

And that would benifit him because.....

:noidea:

Nadroj 20
02-25-2010, 11:47 AM
And that would benifit him because.....

:noidea:

:thumbsup: Exactly i thought this too that will hurt him long term more then anything

SteelMember
02-25-2010, 11:48 AM
omgomgomg what if he starts getting in more trouble and getting lazy like all tagged players do :rolleyes:

Hey. Leave Starks out of it. Just because he looks like he just woke up from a nap all the time doesn't mean he's lazy. :chuckle:

Gravedigger is just relaxed. :wink02:

stillers4me
02-25-2010, 11:50 AM
Colbert also announced that the Steelers have officially placed the franchise tag on K Jeff Reed. The deadline for teams to designate franchise players is 4 p.m. ET today. Colbert said the team intends to reach a long-term deal with Reed and indicated the tag was used to buy some time in the negotiating process.

“We’ve been in contact with Jeff, he’s aware of the situation,” Colbert said. “His agent is aware of the situation. Our goal is to lock Jeff up long-term and have him finish his career with the Steelers.”

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/02/25/steelers-reach-deal-with-hampton-tag-reed/

Dino 6 Rings
02-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Sign him, take off the tag and tag Clark...is that possible? Hmmm...I don't know...whatever, he's good, glad he's sticking with us. Not surprised they didn't get the deal done yet with him.

Things are looking good for next year thus far.

truesteelerfan
02-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Now that he's making all this money, it sure would be nice if he could do something about the length of his kickoffs. Sometimes when they're probably intentionally short...they look horrible...I mean, they are intentionally short right? Actually I'm not sure, I mean they could be because of our coverage unit last year, but maybe he's just that bad at kickoffs, but I do remember about 2 touchbacks per year.......

stb_steeler
02-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Lets hope he can stay out of trouble and carry himself in a professional way. :beerfunnel::shots: Noo Jeff, we said no more drinking!

steelreserve
02-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Well, good. I am so beyond caring about the goddamn kicker. Sign a long-term deal, or don't, whatever. Just if you decide to stick around, please no more contract drama, and please learn to kick off farther than the 15-yard line.

Indo
02-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Well, good. I am so beyond caring about the goddamn kicker. Sign a long-term deal, or don't, whatever. Just if you decide to stick around, please no more contract drama, and please learn to kick off farther than the 15-yard line.

And at least make an effort to jump in front of the guy running the ball back. You don't have to tackle him, just get in his way and slow him down. A little.

(and keep doing what you've been doing on the 3 pointers. Except in Chicago)

pancake
02-25-2010, 02:33 PM
I see a long term deal coming soon for Reed.

HometownGal
02-25-2010, 02:40 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_BQtYCYJpONQ/Si7rVleGU4I/AAAAAAAADug/hr0Kh0cynlQ/s320/Mortimer+Snerd.jpg

Prok
02-25-2010, 03:07 PM

See thats the Steelers plan. Tag him and get him pissed enough to actually kick the freakin' thing inside the 10 every once in a while.

:applaudit:

steelerdude15
02-25-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm glad the Steelers are keeping some key veterans! :tt02:

AllD
02-25-2010, 03:46 PM
If Reed was smart and sober he would look for a three year with more guarantee. He isn't getting any younger and his leg is not necessarily the best choice for any team. He just happens to fit well in the Burg.

OX1947
02-25-2010, 04:01 PM
This is amazing, I had no way of ever thinking the Steelers were going to resign Big Snack. Its nice to see he will be retiring a Steeler. As far as Reed, I think they will sign a long term deal soon...

Psyychoward86
02-25-2010, 06:36 PM
I see a long term deal coming soon for Reed.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/02/23/stee...ampton-k-reed/

i dont. :banging:

not anytime soon anyways. Come on Reed...

Northside Jonny
02-25-2010, 09:35 PM
I hope someone else beats the offer and we get the 2 first round picks. Would those be for this years draft or next ?

Prok
02-25-2010, 09:41 PM
I hope someone else beats the offer and we get the 2 first round picks. Would those be for this years draft or next ?

Just our luck that Al Davis already found his "franchise" kicker. I bet we could have at least got a 1st and 3rd for Reed from him.

:drink:

Psyychoward86
02-25-2010, 10:56 PM

I would lol so hard

smokin3000gt
02-26-2010, 12:53 AM

That would drive down his value after the tag.

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 02:06 AM
thats not good news. what if he gets grumpy and misses kicks on purpose?:bs:

WORST POST EVER! Supa are you drunk posting again buddy? :toast:

Galax Steeler
02-26-2010, 04:13 AM
There should be no one to complain about his accuracy he is on of the best and the best at Heinz field. I am sure that about 95% of us including me wish he could kick into the endzone more often. If we can cover like we did a couple of years ago it would not be bad as we think. Our coverage let us down alot last year. So all of the blame can't go to Reed.

nikstar
02-26-2010, 04:23 AM
Wow, smart move, 2.8 doesnt seem like so much money for a quality kicker... better deal than whatever we would have got with snack talent-to-money wise if you hear me.

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 03:32 PM
Wow, smart move, 2.8 doesnt seem like so much money for a quality kicker... better deal than whatever we would have got with snack talent-to-money wise if you hear me.

Agreed! I believe both of these deals where like buying a Ferrari for the price of a Chevy! :hatsoff:

rich4eagle
02-26-2010, 05:09 PM
I am surprised at the move. I guess Reed actually learned how to slow down a kick returner in the off season. He lost two games for us by being useless in the part of the game. Me, personally, I would be looking for a new kicker.

Bad move in my view

The difference between being in the playoffs and missing them was largely contributed to Jeff Reeds missing field goals he should have made early in the season and whiffing on two TD runs that cost us games..........

anthony43ross
02-26-2010, 05:11 PM
Wish we would have tagged Hampton and gave Reed a deal!

X-Terminator
02-26-2010, 05:31 PM
I am surprised at the move. I guess Reed actually learned how to slow down a kick returner in the off season. He lost two games for us by being useless in the part of the game. Me, personally, I would be looking for a new kicker.

Bad move in my view

The difference between being in the playoffs and missing them was largely contributed to Jeff Reeds missing field goals he should have made early in the season and whiffing on two TD runs that cost us games..........

Which makes me glad that YOU are not running the team.

Yeah, let's blame the entire season's failures on Jeff Reed...

:coffee:

43Hitman
02-26-2010, 05:43 PM

What? This doesn't even make sense. How the hell is he ever supposed to get a job again kicking if he starts missing on purpose?

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 05:52 PM

Bad move in my view

:blah: You can never blame wins and losses on one player! FOOTBALL IS THE ULTIMATE TEAM GAME . This is basically like saying if we would have had troy we would have won every game and another ring. Bad take IMO

Psyychoward86
02-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Wish we would have tagged Hampton and gave Reed a deal!

http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/6512/original/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 06:01 PM
:point:Psycho you just made my day with that pic! Freakin halirous!

rich4eagle
02-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Which makes me glad that YOU are not running the team.

Yeah, let's blame the entire season's failures on Jeff Reed...

:coffee:

Did I say the seasons failures were Reed's fault.

I said he lost two games for us............YOU FIGURE OUT THE REST

I would consider not resigning him and bringing in three other kickers to compete let alone tag him

X-Terminator
02-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Did I say the seasons failures were Reed's fault.

I said he lost two games for us............YOU FIGURE OUT THE REST

I would consider not resigning him and bringing in three other kickers to compete let alone tag him

Yeah, and you blamed those 2 games for the Steelers not making the playoffs. Therefore, you blamed the season's failure on him. Your words.

Were you saying "get rid of him" when he was making clutch kicks and the KO coverage unit was the best in the league in 2008? I bet not. In fact, I don't remember hearing a peep out of anyone, even though Reed wasn't booming them through the end zone back then either. Now all of a sudden, it's FIRE HIM!!!!!

What have you done for me lately. Steeler fan. You figure out the rest.