PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree with the tagging of Reed?

pancake
02-25-2010, 02:12 PM
I ask this because I was chatting along on another site about this and even some of the Steeler fans didn't like it.

I like Reed, so I am pleased with tagging him.

JHSilverback
02-25-2010, 02:17 PM
I liked the tag as well...when the conditions on the field get sloppy I'd rather have reed than some new guy

steelerdude15
02-25-2010, 02:18 PM
I think it's a smart move, but thats IMO. Hopefully he remains accurate on field goals and extra points. Czech could be used for kickoffs since he's a lot younger.

Vincent
02-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Its a no brainer. Tag him at $2.8M. That number is better than the number we'd have to pay him after the raiders stupidity. And we don't have 2011 dollars committed. As bad as kickers were in the playoffs this year, some knucklehead might give us 2 1sts for Skippy. We all would be thrilled by that.

The FO is making great moves.

pete74
02-25-2010, 02:24 PM
personally i would rather have someone who had a stronger foot but reed is a good kicker so i would of tagged him after signing hampton as well

LVSteelersfan
02-25-2010, 02:50 PM
I am ambivalent about it. Hopefully we get the football into the end zone next year when we get in the red zone. Then all we have to worry about from Reed is extra points. As far as the kickoffs are concerned, I guess we just have to live with it because there is no way they keep Czech or whatever his name is to do kickoffs. I heard he isn't much better in that respect any way. I have no problem with Reed as a field goal kicker or tackler (that is not his job after all) but I am still going to cringe every time he kicks off.

AllD
02-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Tagging gives the team the opportunity to draft BPA over need for a kicker in the later rounds. At that price the team is not overpaying and it is also fair to Reed. He can think about what-ifs when/if there is a lockout and he is without a contract in two years.

Chidi29
02-25-2010, 02:53 PM
I have no issue with it and can't see how someone could. There's still plenty of time to get a long-term deal done and I can live with paying him the $2.8 million. You're not going to find a better option than Reed.

solardave
02-25-2010, 02:54 PM
With Hampton signed it makes good sense. Put the transition tag on Clark. Now we have leverage across the board.

HometownGal
02-25-2010, 02:59 PM
HELL YEAH! :applaudit:

Skippy, the vast majority of the time, is money in the bank on FG's and PAT's and as I've said many times in these gazillion Reed threads - there isn't a PK out there I'd rather have sportin' the B & G. :hatsoff:

stlrtruck
02-25-2010, 03:09 PM
I clicked YES but I'm still on the fence. A lot of players don't like the tag and fight against it. I'm happy he's still a Steeler but I hope that they can work out a long term deal that isn't as ass-nine as the raiders.

steelreserve
02-25-2010, 03:16 PM
This year, with no salary cap, yes. In a normal year, when it could start messing with our ability to sign other guys, hell no.

I'm just going to assume the FO thought about it and didn't see anyone they really liked out there to replace him this year, so if he still holds out for an Insane Al Davis Contract, that gives us another year to find someone reasonable.

I still think he's a good kicker, but he's lost that untouchable status with me. Something about this situation makes him seem less likely than others to back down from his giant contract demand, so if he doesn't by this time next year, fine, let him kick somewhere else. We don't need the headache.

steelreserve
02-25-2010, 03:16 PM
also, Patriots suck and Tom Brady is gay.

NEPAsteeler
02-25-2010, 05:24 PM
In the end, I think it'll work out for the best on both sides. I would like to see him signed to a long-term deal.

Damn, Skippy :chuckle:

NEPAsteeler
02-25-2010, 05:25 PM

This too.

Psyychoward86
02-25-2010, 05:31 PM

excellent. why isnt this a poll option?

Northside Jonny
02-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Approved! I still want Hunter Lawrence K from Texas!!