PDA

View Full Version : Defense Question

PDX Hawk fan
02-03-2006, 02:02 PM
I hear all this talk about the NFC being a complete crap of a Conference, so what I want to know is: other than Denver and Pittsburgh, who are the great defensive teams in the AFC?

In my mind, the NFC is the defensive league while the AFC excells at offense.

tony hipchest
02-03-2006, 02:09 PM
dont you follow football? check out nfl.com and read up on some stats.

SteelCityPride
02-03-2006, 02:09 PM
I hear all this talk about the NFC being a complete crap of a Conference, so what I want to know is: other than Denver and Pittsburgh, who are the great defensive teams in the AFC?

You think if the NFC offense is soo bad, that kinda plays into why their defenses may be ranked higher and if the AFC's defenses are worse that may be why their offenses rank higher. I mean it's hard to say on that matter, I think we should look into cross conference play...

Dook
02-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Indy's defense was good this year.

Livinginthe past
02-03-2006, 02:13 PM

The Patriots are a defensive power in the AFC - as long as they have some healthy bodies.

NM

PDX Hawk fan
02-03-2006, 02:16 PM
You think if the NFC offense is soo bad, that kinda plays into why their defenses may be ranked higher and if the AFC's defenses are worse that may be why their offenses rank higher. I mean it's hard to say on that matter, I think we should look into cross conference play...

I don't think the NFC is bad- and I don't get why the Seahwks offense gets criticized based on the fact they are in the NFC, a great defensive conference.

SteelCityPride
02-03-2006, 02:20 PM
I don't think the NFC is bad- and I don't get why the Seahwks offense gets criticized based on the fact they are in the NFC, a great defensive conference.

Well when you look at them, they have some good individual players but also some areas of liablity esp in the secondary. Their front when all healthy is decent, their linebackers are pretty good, and I would only rate their secondary as ok... I mean, their defense is nothing extremely intimidating, though it is also a defense that can be very deceptive when taken lightly and can get to the quarterback, which also creates wholes in their secondary...

Prosdo
02-03-2006, 02:23 PM
I have to say Lofa Tatupu is pretty impressive though. Not a lot of rookies would come in and take charge like he did.

SteelCityPride
02-03-2006, 02:25 PM
I have to say Lofa Tatupu is pretty impressive though. Not a lot of rookies would come in and take charge like he did.

I agree with you, Tatupu is an exceptional athlete. I think he would be outstanding in a 3-4 defense where he would be given a little more freedom also... But regardless of the defense, he is an exceptional athlete.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-03-2006, 02:33 PM
AFC's good defenses:

Steelers,Pats,Colts,Broncos,Chargers,and the Jaguars

NFC's good defenses:

Redskins,Bears,Panthers,Bucs,Seahawks

clevestinks
02-03-2006, 03:08 PM
The NFC is the weaker conference all round! That doesn`t mean that there are no good teams, or defenses. Philly and Atlanta were both over rated. Carolina was descent but nothing special. Chicago played above their heads, they are still a couple years away. Wash sucks. The problem is there is nobody to compare seattle to for us afc fans. You beat teams that weren`t Super Bowl caliber teams. Its not seattles fault, thats just the way it is. Does that mean you can`t win the Super Bowl? Of coure not! Other than the fact that I beleive we will!

Steelers 27- seattle 10

GOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooSteelers!

PDX Hawk fan
02-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Well when you look at them, they have some good individual players but also some areas of liablity esp in the secondary. Their front when all healthy is decent, their linebackers are pretty good, and I would only rate their secondary as ok... I mean, their defense is nothing extremely intimidating, though it is also a defense that can be very deceptive when taken lightly and can get to the quarterback, which also creates wholes in their secondary...

It's a team game and they play as a unit as well as any team in the league. Our secondary isn't stellar- that's true (or safety got is heack beat in outside a bar earlier in the year). My main concern is keeping up defensive intensity away from home.

clevestinks
02-03-2006, 03:51 PM
It's a team game and they play as a unit as well as any team in the league. Our secondary isn't stellar- that's true (or safety got is heack beat in outside a bar earlier in the year). My main concern is keeping up defensive intensity away from home.
Intensity is a key factor! Porter is our emotional leader! who is yours? Not making fun, I just don`t know!

Hawk Believer
02-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Intensity is a key factor! Porter is our emotional leader! who is yours? Not making fun, I just don`t know!

On D, it has become Tatupu by my estimation. Which sounds crazy since he is a rookie. He has quite a future in this league if he can keep it up.

Right now Seattle doesn't seem to be a team that demonstrates its emotion in a outward fashion in between plays.

PDX Hawk fan
02-03-2006, 05:19 PM

I can't say we have one- or need one. That's what I like about this squad. They're like one organism- truly a team.

Maybe Hasselbeck?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2006, 05:36 PM
On D, it has become Tatupu by my estimation. Which sounds crazy since he is a rookie. He has quite a future in this league if he can keep it up.

Right now Seattle doesn't seem to be a team that demonstrates its emotion in a outward fashion in between plays.

That comes from Coach Holmgren..he's never been a trash talker or a coach that promoted talking on his team. They play hard and leave it on field..nothing wrong with that all. They've got the big dance with that mentality so it works for them.

Hawk Believer
02-03-2006, 05:41 PM
That comes from Coach Holmgren..he's never been a trash talker or a coach that promoted talking on his team. They play hard and leave it on field..nothing wrong with that all. They've got the big dance with that mentality so it works for them.
Agreed. I think discipline is really important to the success of our offense since the whole West Coast thing requires so much precision to execute well.

Sometimes I think it would be nice to have an enforcer type guy on defense though that could play some Jedi mind tricks on weaker offensive opponents. But that would probably screw up all the good chemistry we have going.

Koopa
02-03-2006, 05:54 PM

the only reason the nfc is a defensive league as you say is because no one in the damn nfc has an offense worht a damn so of course they gonna look great. the afc offense is ten times better then any nfc defense

PDX Hawk fan
02-03-2006, 06:07 PM
the only reason the nfc is a defensive league as you say is because no one in the damn nfc has an offense worht a damn so of course they gonna look great. the afc offense is ten times better then any nfc defense

When did the NFL become such a terrible product, exactly?

It's a wonder anyone still watches football, based on the comments I read on this forum...

BlitzburghRockCity
02-03-2006, 06:13 PM
I would agree that the AFC is the dominant conference between the 2..generally across the board the AFC is more wide open with more great teams than the NFC, as evident by the tight playoff races and postseason results..

but the NFC has some quality teams, one of which is playing this sunday. They earned their shot to get here.

syde18T
02-03-2006, 06:48 PM
AFC Defensive teams:

Pittsburgh
New England (even with all the injuries)
Jacksonville
Indianapolis (good this year)
San Diego (Had the best run defense for good amount of time)
Denver
Baltimore (Ranked 5th in total defense for regular season)

NFC Defensive teams:

Tampa Bay (Ended up rank 1)
Chicago
Carolina
NY Giants
Washington

A perfect examples of why the conference matchup is so lopsided favoring the AFC:

-New England shut out Tampa Bay on Christmas Day
-Pittsburgh dominated Chicago 21-9
-Cincinnati dominated Chicago 24-7
-Cleveland beat Chicago 20-10
-San Diego blew out NY Giants 45-23

PDX Hawk fan
02-03-2006, 06:54 PM
AFC Defensive teams:

Pittsburgh
New England (even with all the injuries)
Jacksonville
Indianapolis (good this year)
San Diego (Had the best run defense for good amount of time)
Denver
Baltimore (Ranked 5th in total defense for regular season)

NFC Defensive teams:

Tampa Bay (Ended up rank 1)
Chicago
Carolina
NY Giants
Washington

A perfect examples of why the conference matchup is so lopsided favoring the AFC:

-New England shut out Tampa Bay on Christmas Day
-Pittsburgh dominated Chicago 21-9
-Cincinnati dominated Chicago 24-7
-Cleveland beat Chicago 20-10
-San Diego blew out NY Giants 45-23

Every team we played on that list we beat.

PDX Hawk fan
02-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Sorry- we lost to Jax in week 1.

So did Pittsburgh.

syde18T
02-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Every team we played on that list we beat.

EDIT: Nvm, you corrected it lol

syde18T
02-03-2006, 06:58 PM

So did Pittsburgh.

And how did they lose again? :bouncy:

83-Steelers-43
02-03-2006, 07:10 PM

So did Pittsburgh.

With no Ben.