PDA

View Full Version : Nose tackles won't fall off Steelers' radar

Galax Steeler
02-26-2010, 03:34 AM
INDIANAPOLIS -- Worried that Casey Hampton's new contract will cause the Steelers to forget about drafting a nose tackle who could still be his eventual replacement in an aging defensive line?

Don't be.

Kevin Colbert, the team's director of football operations, said Hampton's new three-year deal -- $21.3 million with a $6.5 million signing bonus -- won't have any effect on what the Steelers might do with their first pick in the NFL draft.

"Absolutely none," Colbert said as he stood inside Lucas Oil Stadium, site of the NFL combine that began yesterday. "We said that anything we did in free agency is not going to change our philosophy of trying to draft defensive players."

Which means, Colbert said, the Steelers will not rule out the possibility of still drafting a nose tackle with the 18th overall pick, especially if one they like is available.

And they should have a shot at two -- Dan Williams of Tennessee and 365-pound Terrence Cody of Alabama.

"Short of a quarterback and a tight end, everything's wide open," he said.

Colbert won't talk specifically about any player at the combine, much less a nose tackle, but he called the entire crop of defensive lineman "the best I can remember in the 26 years I've been doing this."

It starts with Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh and Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy, defensive tackles who could go 1-2 in the draft. But it doesn't stop there. According to NFLdraftscout.com, four of the top 14 prospects and nine of the top 30 at the combine are defensive linemen. One of those is Penn State defensive end Jared Odrick, who can also play nose tackle.

"It's not only depth," Colbert said. "But it's the quality of that depth, as well."

By re-signing Hampton, the Steelers eliminated the urgency to find a nose tackle immediately. But, because Hampton will be 33 in September, that doesn't mean they won't be willing to draft a player they can groom to be his successor.

Especially when the Steelers have a long history of rookies rarely playing, much less starting in Dick LeBeau's defense. Even Troy Polamalu, their five-time Pro Bowl safety, sat for most of his rookie season before he was used only in substitution packages.

"I'm assuming our defense is no more complicated than anyone else' in the NFL," Colbert said. "Sometimes, we expect young players to step in and be impact guys. But it's more the exception than the rule.

"Not only is the competition stepped up dramatically but so is the learning curve. When we get young players playing a significant amount of time early, we think that's a bonus."

The Steelers started the process of re-tooling their defensive line last season when they drafted defensive end Ziggy Hood on the first round. Then, after releasing defensive end Sunny Harris, a sixth-round pick, in the final cut of training camp, they re-signed him to their active roster in October. They are hoping to further his development in the offseason.

"I don't think you can determine a player's success until two to three years down the road because there's a big adjustment," Colbert said. "The younger the player, the harder the adjustment because he might be skipping part of his development, which would be his senior year. I don't think you can honestly judge how a player did or didn't do until two or three years down the road."

Or about the time Hampton retires.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10057/1038743-66.stm

Feel free to move mods I wasn't for sure.

solardave
02-26-2010, 03:59 AM
At least we have a good shot at his repacemebt in the draft.

The Definiti0n
02-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Dan Williams in the first, Corey Wooten in the 2nd

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2010, 09:26 AM
I really cant see the Steelers investing the #18 pick(and the salary that goes with it), to sit behind a $21 Million contract, for 3 years. Especially if there is a lockout and Hampton's contract does not end until 4 years from now.

I can see a young guy taken in the 2nd or later to compete with Hoke and eventually be a replacement in 3 years, but not the #18 pick. It could happen, but I'll be completely shocked.

SteelMember
02-26-2010, 09:33 AM
It could happen, but I'll be completely shocked.

But will you eat you hat? :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2010, 10:32 AM
But will you eat you hat? :chuckle:

Others have said they consumed a hat in response to online sparring. So, I guess I would too. :wink: Words were spoken...promises made. :toofunny:

pete74
02-26-2010, 10:42 AM
i would be happy with Dan Williams, Mike Iupati or Bryan Bulaga in the 1st. We definatly need a saftey but i dont trust Mays or Thomas in the 1st.

xbroughneck
02-26-2010, 10:55 AM
i would be happy with Dan Williams, Mike Iupati or Bryan Bulaga in the 1st. We definatly need a saftey but i dont trust Mays or Thomas in the 1st.

But you trust...

1) an undrafted Ryan Clark who will probably want too much money
2) a 6th round Ryan Mundy

Neither Mays or Thomas will start, and Thomas will be a better ball hawk, and Mays will be a better run stopper than either of the solutions we currently have.

THEN, we have Tyrone Carter as our first backup.:doh:

Safety is a big need this draft.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2010, 11:19 AM
But you trust...

Neither Mays or Thomas will start, and Thomas will be a better ball hawk, and Mays will be a better run stopper than either of the solutions we currently have.

I agree that safety is a big need in this draft, whether Clark signs or not. But I think Thomas is gonna go to the 49ers if he is still on the board. If they want to take the NFC west from the Crydinals, they need to matchup with Fitz, Boldin, Breaston, Doucet.......and secondary is a big need for them.

If nobody is worth the #18 pick, I would love to see the Steelers look at Nate Allen or Morgan Burnett in the 2nd round. For some reason I gotta feeling that we draft another Mizzou tiger in Weatherspoon to play ILB.

PhantomJB93
02-26-2010, 11:26 AM
I swear to god if we blow our first pick on a freaking DT (unless Suh or Mccoy is there by some MIRACLE) Im gonna scream. Second Pick? Maybe. First pick? NO! We have FAR bigger needs than drafting a replacement for a VERY good NT we'll have for at least 3 more years.

PLEASE be smart and take Earl Thomas or Joe Haden Steelers if they are available. PLEASE!

pete74
02-26-2010, 11:53 AM
But you trust...

its that i trust them, its that i dont trust paying a 1st rounder mega-bucks who i really dont see turning into a pro-bowler. mays showed this year that he isnt very good in coverage and thomas who is good in coverage has major problems tackling or stepping up to stop the run. personally i think mays will be a pro bowl ILB in the nfl. i cant see him staying at saftey but then again, like everyone else here im not a GM so thats just a simple opinion by a sports fan

pete74
02-26-2010, 11:56 AM
I swear to god if we blow our first pick on a freaking DT (unless Suh or Mccoy is there by some MIRACLE) Im gonna scream. Second Pick? Maybe. First pick? NO! We have FAR bigger needs than drafting a replacement for a VERY good NT we'll have for at least 3 more years.

PLEASE be smart and take Earl Thomas or Joe Haden Steelers if they are available. PLEASE!

if joe haden is there we better take him but i would bet my house he wont be. as for hampton having 3 good years, not impossible but doubtful. he is awesome but he will be 37 in that 3rd season and i cant see him playing at a very high level at that age. everyone knows the center piece of the 3-4 is the NT. without a great NT the 3-4 will not work well and every GM knows that which is why there is a high demand for big NT's

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2010, 12:20 PM

Lets just say that Haden is drafted by Cleveland and Thomas is drafted by SF....then both are gone by the #18 pick. Since that is highly likely, who do you want then.?

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Mount Cody please Mr. Colbert!
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2009/0617/ncf_a_cody1_sw_576.jpg

7willBheaven
02-26-2010, 12:51 PM

With the 18th pick? Just say no!

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 12:52 PM
With our first pick...god no...please no.

Of course not but if he is there in the 2nd go get him!

PhantomJB93
02-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Lets just say that Haden is drafted by Cleveland and Thomas is drafted by SF....then both are gone by the #18 pick. Since that is highly likely, who do you want then.?

If they are both gone, Id take the best Offensive Lineman left on the board, maybe Bulaga...its possible Haden falls to us but I do think hell be gone, however I think there is a VERY realistic chance Thomas is on the board when we pick because Ive heard theyre more interested in Taylor Mays; if Mays is left but Thomas is gone then I still take the OT because I think Mays is going to be a bust.

Psyychoward86
02-26-2010, 01:11 PM

BLOW our 1st round pick? I dont think you understand how good this year's defensive linemen are

PhantomJB93
02-26-2010, 02:13 PM
BLOW our 1st round pick? I dont think you understand how good this year's defensive linemen are

Believe me, I do. I just think it would be a major waste to pick a DT with our first pick when we have far greater needs at the moment. I have no problem with a Casey-replacement in a later round because there is so much depth at DT this year but using our first pick on one when there's amazing talent at CB, S, and OT, which are all positions we actually need RIGHT NOW rather than 2 years from now, I just see as a major mistake.

Shoes
02-26-2010, 02:26 PM

Look's like he found Casey's twinkie stash.

supa_fly_steeler
02-26-2010, 02:34 PM

dunno if the Browns select Joe Haden at all hopefully not lol.

Im guessing Mike Singletary like's big physical guys, a cornerback like Robinson will fit his schemes and maybe they go defensive end and offensive tackle in the draft since alex smith was sacked 46 times lol.

Psyychoward86
02-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Believe me, I do. I just think it would be a major waste to pick a DT with our first pick when we have far greater needs at the moment. I have no problem with a Casey-replacement in a later round because there is so much depth at DT this year but using our first pick on one when there's amazing talent at CB, S, and OT, which are all positions we actually need RIGHT NOW rather than 2 years from now, I just see as a major mistake.

You dont draft by need, you draft by BPA. Of course, you draft the BPA only to certain parameters (I mean, we arent going to draft a QB in the 1st, or a kicker, or tight end, etc)

But reaching for a pick just because you need someone at that position wont give you the best bang for your buck.

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 02:39 PM
You dont draft by need, you draft by BPA. Of course, you draft the BPA only to certain parameters (I mean, we arent going to draft a QB in the 1st, or a kicker, or tight end, etc)

But reaching for a pick just because you need someone at that position wont give you the best bang for your buck.

But I was hoping we would take Tebow at 18 and start running the wildcat! :rofl:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2010, 05:25 PM
dunno if the Browns select Joe Haden at all hopefully not lol.

Im guessing Mike Singletary like's big physical guys, a cornerback like Robinson will fit his schemes and maybe they go defensive end and offensive tackle in the draft since alex smith was sacked 46 times lol.

Singletary had to start DaShon Goldston at FS last year, but has Nate Clements, Dre Bly, Shawnte Spencer as his top 3 CB's. I think he has to be looking at a FS in order to compete with the Cardinals.

Plus, they have 2 picks in the 1st round and Joe Staley just signed a new contract. I think they can get an OT with their 2nd as there are gonna be at least 6 taken in the 1st round.

PhantomJB93
02-26-2010, 08:35 PM

Yes, that is true. But with pick 18, I doubt we will be "reaching" for a CB, S, or OT, names like Earl Thomas, Taylor Mays, Joe Haden, Kyle Wilson, and Brian Bulaga are all projected to be taken around then and they would be of much more "use" to our team than a DT. The only way we "reach" for one of those guys over a DT is if Suh or Mccoy are by some MIRACLE on the board, otherwise all of those names could be argued to be the BPA by that time over the remaining non-Suh/Mccoy DTs.

Galax Steeler
02-27-2010, 05:10 AM
But I was hoping we would take Tebow at 18 and start running the wildcat! :rofl:

That is exactly what we need.:toofunny:

pete74
02-27-2010, 05:44 AM
Yes, that is true. But with pick 18, I doubt we will be "reaching" for a CB, S, or OT, names like Earl Thomas, Taylor Mays, Joe Haden, Kyle Wilson, and Brian Bulaga are all projected to be taken around then and they would be of much more "use" to our team than a DT. The only way we "reach" for one of those guys over a DT is if Suh or Mccoy are by some MIRACLE on the board, otherwise all of those names could be argued to be the BPA by that time over the remaining non-Suh/Mccoy DTs.

i would be more then happy with DT dan williams at 18 if he is still on. all of you seem to dislike Cody in the 1st but i wouldnt be upset drafting him 18th if he blows up the combine and get his weight down to 350. remember, hampton also had weight problems his entire carear and alot doubted he would be a 3 down NT when he came into the leauge. obviously he only plays on run downs now but it wasnt always like that and he has been the centerpiece of our defense for a long time. i think cody is going to end up being the one of the best run stuffing NT in the leauge 2-3 years from now. i am well aware everyone here disagrees but only time will tell. how many 370lb people can dunk a basketball standing still? not many

Galax Steeler
02-27-2010, 05:49 AM
i would be more then happy with DT dan williams at 18 if he is still on. all of you seem to dislike Cody in the 1st but i wouldnt be upset drafting him 18th if he blows up the combine and get his weight down to 350. remember, hampton also had weight problems his entire carear and alot doubted he would be a 3 down NT when he came into the leauge. obviously he only plays on run downs now but it wasnt always like that and he has been the centerpiece of our defense for a long time. i think cody is going to end up being the one of the best run stuffing NT in the leauge 2-3 years from now. i am well aware everyone here disagrees but only time will tell. how many 370lb people can dunk a basketball standing still? not many

With the signing of Hampton I hope we don't take a nose tackle in the first we can get one in the later rounds. I would love to see us use that no.1 pick on a good corner or safety and possibly Weatherspoon to replace Farrior. Mike Iupati on the offensive line would not be a bad pick either. I am not saying I have anything against Williams or Cody I just think we have bigger issues to fill now that we signed Hampton.

pete74
02-27-2010, 05:55 AM
With the signing of Hampton I hope we don't take a nose tackle in the first we can get one in the later rounds. I would love to see us use that no.1 pick on a good corner or safety and possibly Weatherspoon to replace Farrior. Mike Iupati on the offensive line would not be a bad pick either. I am not saying I have anything against Williams or Cody I just think we have bigger issues to fill now that we signed Hampton.

i agree that we have bigger needs but we definatly need a very good nose tackle in this draft or the next because hampton has 3 years tops left. i would love to take Iupati to play gaurd or right tackel or take an ILB like Spike to replace Farrior but i also wouldnt be upset if we took a NT. Farrior definatly needs replaced in this draft somewere. he didnt play well at all last year and i fear this year will be worse. personally i would rather play Fox over Farrior. as for the 1st round, i would love to get Iupati or a left tackel like Bulaga, Davis, Cambell or even Brown now that he weighed in at 304lbs. i would love a saftey but i dont trust mays or thomas. they can end up being great but mays seems like he will end up playing LB to me and thomas seems more like a corner. its definatly a tough decision

steeltheone
02-27-2010, 09:11 AM
It seems like we cant draft anybody who can start as a rookie or as far as that goes his second year. With damn near half our D over thirty. We better make this one count!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2010, 11:09 AM
It seems like we cant draft anybody who can start as a rookie or as far as that goes his second year. With damn near half our D over thirty. We better make this one count!

Only something like 2% of all rookies drafted in the NFL ever start as a rookie. Its not just the Steelers that dont draft rookies to start.......most NFL teams dont plug 1st year guys in unless they are desperate or that rookie is really that good.

Troy Polamalu had a terrible rookie year and only played in nickel or dime situations.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Only something like 2% of all rookies drafted in the NFL ever start as a rookie. Its not just the Steelers that dont draft rookies to start.......most NFL teams dont plug 1st year guys in unless they are desperate or that rookie is really that good.

Troy Polamalu had a terrible rookie year and only played in nickel or dime situations.

Agreed....I still think that we sign Clark and that IF Earl Thomas is available...we sign him as a CB/FS.

That being said, I see very few scenerios in which Thomas makes it to #18 and therefore we will probably go with an OT. (By the way...Davis didnt impress ANYONE with his bench press..and might fall to us at #18 like I had thought.)

pete74
02-27-2010, 11:54 AM
yea but alot more then 2% of 1st round rookies start. i can think of at least 10 from last years draft and im willing to bet there were more then that. brian cushing and clay mathews both linebackers played extremly well there rookie year. last season, all of green bay's draft picks except for there 5th rounder ended up contributing during the season.

pete74
02-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Agreed....I still think that we sign Clark and that IF Earl Thomas is available...we sign him as a CB/FS.

That being said, I see very few scenerios in which Thomas makes it to #18 and therefore we will probably go with an OT. (By the way...Davis didnt impress ANYONE with his bench press..and might fall to us at #18 like I had thought.)

after looking at bruce cambells 4.78 40 time and his 34 reps i think i would take him over davis right now. cambell also has the longest arms for the tackels

SteelerFanInStl
02-27-2010, 01:18 PM
after looking at bruce cambells 4.78 40 time and his 34 reps i think i would take him over davis right now. cambell also has the longest arms for the tackels

Campbell will be gone by #18 especially with his showing in the combine.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Campbell will be gone by #18 especially with his showing in the combine.

Exactly....In my last draft I had him going to the Raiders for the very reason that I thought he would be a workout warrior and Al Davis would fall in love with him.

pete74
02-27-2010, 01:34 PM
raiders will definatly take him after his 40 time. there offensive line suck and davis loves speed so cambell's carear is as good as gone now that he is stuck as a raider

Godfather
02-27-2010, 01:47 PM
raiders will definatly take him after his 40 time. there offensive line suck and davis loves speed so cambell's carear is as good as gone now that he is stuck as a raider

He might have gotten a reprieve. Trindon Holliday ran a 4.27.

pete74
02-27-2010, 01:53 PM
He might have gotten a reprieve. Trindon Holliday ran a 4.27.

thats good because i want cambell to end up a steeler at 18th. al davis will probably surprise everyons and take golden tate or holliday. im sure there considerins mays because of his size and speed. that team is a freaking joke

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-27-2010, 01:56 PM
thats good because i want cambell to end up a steeler at 18th. al davis will probably surprise everyons and take golden tate or holliday. im sure there considerins mays because of his size and speed. that team is a freaking joke

I'm actually hoping that teams fall in love with Campbell...and push Williams and Davis down the board so that one of them is available at #18.

Galax Steeler
02-27-2010, 02:09 PM
I'm actually hoping that teams fall in love with Campbell...and push Williams and Davis down the board so that one of them is available at #18.

That is what I was thinking if Campbell climbs the board then it will push someone elsecloser to us for the taking.:thumbsup:

pete74
02-27-2010, 02:13 PM
alot of mocks have pouncey going late 2nd round so it wouldnt be bad to get a tackle or gaurd 1st then pouncey 2nd

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-27-2010, 02:22 PM
alot of mocks have pouncy going late 2nd round so it wouldnt be bad to get a tackle or gaurd 1st then pouncy 2nd

I have seen that brought up before....but I have to wonder if Pouncey will make it past the Giants in the second round.

pete74
02-27-2010, 02:59 PM
I have seen that brought up before....but I have to wonder if Pouncey will make it past the Giants in the second round.

personally i would be surprised if he made it to us in the 2nd but there is a possibility. he is definatly the best center this year but his technique isnt top knotch and hopefully that will keep him there until we pick 2nd round

Psyychoward86
02-27-2010, 05:14 PM
who the heck is pouncy

Galax Steeler
02-28-2010, 08:16 AM
56 Maurkice Pouncey

* OL
* 6-5, 312
* SO 2LLakeland/Lakeland

CAREER: Appeared in 41 games with 39 career starts…Was an early enrollee his freshman season and began taking classes at UF in Jan. 2007.

HONORS: Won the 2009 Rimington Trophy, awarded to the nation’s best center, the first time in school history a Gator has one the award…A 2009 Walter Camp, CBSSports.com, Sporting News and FWAA first-team All-American…Also on the 2009 Outland Trophy Watch List…Tabbed a 2009 first-team All-SEC pick by the AP, the league’s head coaches and Phil Steele…Garnered AP All-SEC Honorable Mention accolades in 2008…A 2008 CollegeFootballNews.com All-Sophomore selection…2007 Freshman All-American First-Team (CollegeFootballNews.com, Rivals.com)…Freshman All-American Second-Team (Sporting News)…2007 All-SEC Freshman Team (Coaches, Sporting News).

2009: Played and started in all 14 games for the Gators in 2009…Graded out an average of 91.5 percent in 2009 and recorded nearly 30 knockdowns his junior season…Named the SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week after grading out a Champion at 93 percent in the 23-13 victory over Tennessee…Checked in at a season-high 99 percent in the Gators’ win over LSU…Contributed to Florida’s 51-24 2010 Allstate Sugar Bowl victory in New Orleans, La., as the Gators finished the 2009 season 13-1, his 30th consecutive start donning the Orange and Blue…Started his 28th-straight game in the 37-10 win over Florida State on Senior Day, his final game in The Swamp…Graded out at a team and season-high 99 percent in UF’s 13-3 win over LSU in Death Valley…Checked in at 90 percent for Champions’ Club honors after the victory over Kentucky…Led the Gators’ offensive efforts in the win over Tennessee in the SEC opener for UF, grading out at a team-high 93 percent after taking 61 snaps…The starter for Florida’s 56-6 victory over Troy the second game of the season, recorded his second 98 percent grade of the season and collected a knockdown in the process…Made the start at center in the season opener against Charleston Southern, graded out at 98 percent, recorded two knockdowns and allowed Florida to rush 369 yards, the most in school history on opening day.

2008: Florida’s starting center in all 14 games during the season, including the Gators’ 2008 SEC and FedEx BCS National Championship Game victories…Graded out at 90 percent or higher in six contests, including South Carolina (90), Tennessee (93), Arkansas (94), Vanderbilt (95), LSU (97) and Kentucky (98)…Also graded out a Champion at 88 percent against The Citadel…Garnered SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week Oct. 6 for his performance against Arkansas…Was one of five UF Offensive Players of the Week after the offensive line’s success against LSU.

2007: Played in all 13 games and started in 11 at right guard (all except Ole Miss and Florida Atlantic)…Also took snaps at center...Became the seventh true freshman to start at UF on opening day…Graded out a Champion for the first time in his career at LSU (86 percent)…Also, was a Champion with an 85 percent the next week at Kentucky and an 83 percent later in the season against Vanderbilt.

PREP: Rated among the nation’s top offensive guard recruits according to Scout.com (15th) and Rivals.com (15th)…As a senior, he helped lead Lakeland to its 45th consecutive victory, third-consecutive Class 5A state championship and second-straight USA Today national championship in 2006…Part of an offensive line that blocked for a 4,000-yard rushing team as a senior…One of 16 offensive linemen in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s Super Southern 100…Earned all-state honors as a junior…Chose Florida over Florida State, Clemson, Miami (Fla.) and Michigan…High school football coach was Bill Castle.

PERSONAL: Born July 24, 1989…Full name is LaShawn Maurkice Pouncey…His twin brother, Mike, is also a member of the Gators…Parents are Rob and Lisa Webster.

MAJOR: Social & Behavioral Sciences.

Was a member of the 2008 UF Football Leadership Committee

Starred in a public service announcement for the Gear Up Buckle Up program with his brother, Mike

Became the first true freshman to start at offensive guard for UF in a home opener

Mike and Maurkice Pouncey had to share one scooter for a time until they could get another one.

The twin brother of Mike Pouncey, the two never considered going to separate colleges

Member of the 2006 Lakeland High 5A State Championship team, along with Florida teammates Ahmad Black, Mike Pouncey, Chris Rainey and Steven Wilks

WHAT THEY’RE SAYING ABOUT MAURKICE POUNCEY

“It was kind of difficult at first, getting the snap down. The snap is the most important part of the position, getting the ball back to the quarterback. Once I got it down, its just like playing the game.” (8/6/08)

Maurkice Pouncey on moving to center

“I’ve been doing this a long time and he’s only the second guy that I’ve had start as a true freshman. It’s hard to do and he did it.” (8/6/08)

Urban Meyer, UF head coach

“It made it a lot easier. Having someone to go back to your form with and be able to talk to every night about everything. You get down on yourself when you get here because these players are really good, and sometimes you don’t play well. The first spring was not as good as I wanted it to be and not as good as high school.” (8/6/08)

Maurkice Pouncey

“He’s a real sharp guy and he can be a real leader. We want our center to be able to call the right protectiond and make the right calls. He has to be on the front edge of the offense. Maurkice has a real feel for the game. He has experience and he has a lot of time ahead of him to slide into that position.” (8/6/08)

Steve Addazio, UF Offensive Line coach on moving Maurkice to center

“I’m a lot better [than when I got here]. In high school I was always the biggest one so that made it a lot easier. My technique has gone up so far that I’m pretty all right now. When I first got here I didn’t have much technique, but now I have it down pat.” (12/14/07)

Maurkice Pouncey

“I can’t single any one of them out because they’ve all helped me. Any time I need to ask them something, they’ll take me into the film room and show me things. You can’t pick out one guy and say he helped me the most. They’ve all been about equal.” (12/14/07)

Maurkice Pouncey on learning from the upperclassmen

“If he keeps going, will be one of the best to ever play at the University of Florida. That’s how much confidence [I have in him]. He loves to play football. He loves to train. He likes to be coached. He’s

not asking me why are we not going 18 periods instead of 20 periods. He really likes to work. That’s a special player.” 10/18/07

“For a true freshman, Maurkice is hungry. He’s real hungry. He’s always asking me questions about this play, about that play, about this one, about that one. That’s always a good sign from a freshman.”

Carlton Medder, UF offensive lineman

“He went out there and did it in practice and stuff. I’m his biggest fan. Every play I watch him and I want to see what he’ll do. I come to the sideline and if he’s messed up I’ll tell him come on, you’ve got to get it.” (9/4/07)

Mike Pouncey

pete74
02-28-2010, 09:19 AM
56 Maurkice Pouncey

* OL
* 6-5, 312
* SO 2LLakeland/Lakeland

CAREER: Appeared in 41 games with 39 career starts…Was an early enrollee his freshman season and began taking classes at UF in Jan. 2007.

HONORS: Won the 2009 Rimington Trophy, awarded to the nation’s best center, the first time in school history a Gator has one the award…A 2009 Walter Camp, CBSSports.com, Sporting News and FWAA first-team All-American…Also on the 2009 Outland Trophy Watch List…Tabbed a 2009 first-team All-SEC pick by the AP, the league’s head coaches and Phil Steele…Garnered AP All-SEC Honorable Mention accolades in 2008…A 2008 CollegeFootballNews.com All-Sophomore selection…2007 Freshman All-American First-Team (CollegeFootballNews.com, Rivals.com)…Freshman All-American Second-Team (Sporting News)…2007 All-SEC Freshman Team (Coaches, Sporting News).

2009: Played and started in all 14 games for the Gators in 2009…Graded out an average of 91.5 percent in 2009 and recorded nearly 30 knockdowns his junior season…Named the SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week after grading out a Champion at 93 percent in the 23-13 victory over Tennessee…Checked in at a season-high 99 percent in the Gators’ win over LSU…Contributed to Florida’s 51-24 2010 Allstate Sugar Bowl victory in New Orleans, La., as the Gators finished the 2009 season 13-1, his 30th consecutive start donning the Orange and Blue…Started his 28th-straight game in the 37-10 win over Florida State on Senior Day, his final game in The Swamp…Graded out at a team and season-high 99 percent in UF’s 13-3 win over LSU in Death Valley…Checked in at 90 percent for Champions’ Club honors after the victory over Kentucky…Led the Gators’ offensive efforts in the win over Tennessee in the SEC opener for UF, grading out at a team-high 93 percent after taking 61 snaps…The starter for Florida’s 56-6 victory over Troy the second game of the season, recorded his second 98 percent grade of the season and collected a knockdown in the process…Made the start at center in the season opener against Charleston Southern, graded out at 98 percent, recorded two knockdowns and allowed Florida to rush 369 yards, the most in school history on opening day.

2008: Florida’s starting center in all 14 games during the season, including the Gators’ 2008 SEC and FedEx BCS National Championship Game victories…Graded out at 90 percent or higher in six contests, including South Carolina (90), Tennessee (93), Arkansas (94), Vanderbilt (95), LSU (97) and Kentucky (98)…Also graded out a Champion at 88 percent against The Citadel…Garnered SEC Offensive Lineman of the Week Oct. 6 for his performance against Arkansas…Was one of five UF Offensive Players of the Week after the offensive line’s success against LSU.

2007: Played in all 13 games and started in 11 at right guard (all except Ole Miss and Florida Atlantic)…Also took snaps at center...Became the seventh true freshman to start at UF on opening day…Graded out a Champion for the first time in his career at LSU (86 percent)…Also, was a Champion with an 85 percent the next week at Kentucky and an 83 percent later in the season against Vanderbilt.

PREP: Rated among the nation’s top offensive guard recruits according to Scout.com (15th) and Rivals.com (15th)…As a senior, he helped lead Lakeland to its 45th consecutive victory, third-consecutive Class 5A state championship and second-straight USA Today national championship in 2006…Part of an offensive line that blocked for a 4,000-yard rushing team as a senior…One of 16 offensive linemen in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s Super Southern 100…Earned all-state honors as a junior…Chose Florida over Florida State, Clemson, Miami (Fla.) and Michigan…High school football coach was Bill Castle.

PERSONAL: Born July 24, 1989…Full name is LaShawn Maurkice Pouncey…His twin brother, Mike, is also a member of the Gators…Parents are Rob and Lisa Webster.

MAJOR: Social & Behavioral Sciences.

Was a member of the 2008 UF Football Leadership Committee

Starred in a public service announcement for the Gear Up Buckle Up program with his brother, Mike

Became the first true freshman to start at offensive guard for UF in a home opener

Mike and Maurkice Pouncey had to share one scooter for a time until they could get another one.

The twin brother of Mike Pouncey, the two never considered going to separate colleges

Member of the 2006 Lakeland High 5A State Championship team, along with Florida teammates Ahmad Black, Mike Pouncey, Chris Rainey and Steven Wilks

WHAT THEY’RE SAYING ABOUT MAURKICE POUNCEY

“It was kind of difficult at first, getting the snap down. The snap is the most important part of the position, getting the ball back to the quarterback. Once I got it down, its just like playing the game.” (8/6/08)

Maurkice Pouncey on moving to center

“I’ve been doing this a long time and he’s only the second guy that I’ve had start as a true freshman. It’s hard to do and he did it.” (8/6/08)

“It made it a lot easier. Having someone to go back to your form with and be able to talk to every night about everything. You get down on yourself when you get here because these players are really good, and sometimes you don’t play well. The first spring was not as good as I wanted it to be and not as good as high school.” (8/6/08)

Maurkice Pouncey

“He’s a real sharp guy and he can be a real leader. We want our center to be able to call the right protectiond and make the right calls. He has to be on the front edge of the offense. Maurkice has a real feel for the game. He has experience and he has a lot of time ahead of him to slide into that position.” (8/6/08)

Steve Addazio, UF Offensive Line coach on moving Maurkice to center

“I’m a lot better [than when I got here]. In high school I was always the biggest one so that made it a lot easier. My technique has gone up so far that I’m pretty all right now. When I first got here I didn’t have much technique, but now I have it down pat.” (12/14/07)

Maurkice Pouncey

“I can’t single any one of them out because they’ve all helped me. Any time I need to ask them something, they’ll take me into the film room and show me things. You can’t pick out one guy and say he helped me the most. They’ve all been about equal.” (12/14/07)

Maurkice Pouncey on learning from the upperclassmen

“If he keeps going, will be one of the best to ever play at the University of Florida. That’s how much confidence [I have in him]. He loves to play football. He loves to train. He likes to be coached. He’s

not asking me why are we not going 18 periods instead of 20 periods. He really likes to work. That’s a special player.” 10/18/07

“For a true freshman, Maurkice is hungry. He’s real hungry. He’s always asking me questions about this play, about that play, about this one, about that one. That’s always a good sign from a freshman.”

Carlton Medder, UF offensive lineman

“He went out there and did it in practice and stuff. I’m his biggest fan. Every play I watch him and I want to see what he’ll do. I come to the sideline and if he’s messed up I’ll tell him come on, you’ve got to get it.” (9/4/07)

Mike Pouncey

wow, that definatly sums it up. good read