PDA

View Full Version : Sean Weatherspoon

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 04:09 PM
http://www.themaneater.com/media/2008/0831/photos/football003-online-K.jpg

6'1" 241LBS. ILB
Got this at Scout.com http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=8&c=1&nid=4230193&yr=2010
Biography:
2009 OUTLOOK: Established himself as one of the top linebackers in the nation a year ago, and he'll be on the short list for national honors candidates at the position heading into 2009 as well ... Lines up at the weakside linebacker position, where he enters fall camp listed No. 1 on the depth chart ... With 302 career tackles entering the season, he's got a shot at breaking the school career record for tackles of 434 set by James Kinney from 2001-04 ... Is nicknamed "Spoon," which is what most everyone who knows him refers to him by.

2008 SEASON: Had an all-star junior season that saw him win 2nd-Team All-American honors from one national outlet, as he led the Big 12 Conference in tackles (11.07 per game), as well as being a Butkus Award Finalist and a unanimous 1st-Team All-Big 12 selection ... Finished with gaudy numbers of 155 tackles (2nd-most in MU single-season history, 18.5 tackles for loss, 3 interceptions (2 of which he returned for touchdowns), all while leading the team with 7 passes broken up from his linebacker position ... Set himself up for some lofty pre-season honors in 2009 with his season-closing performance in the 2008 Valero Alamo Bowl, when he was named the game's defensive MVP after registering 17 tackles ... Opened the year with a huge performance against Illinois, as he intercepted two passes, running the second back 35 yards for a touchdown that essentially sealed the game in the fourth quarter ... Led the team with a career-high 20 tackles against Buffalo, including three TFLs for a loss of six yards ... Was second on the team with 12 tackles in the Big 12 Championship against Oklahoma ... Displayed his toughness during spring camp, when he suffered torn labrum in his shoulder toward the middle of the camp, but he chose to finish camp before getting surgery so that he could get the experience and help lead the Tiger defense.

2007 SEASON: First-year starter who blossomed into a leader on one of the Big 12's top defensive units, as he led the team with 130 tackles ... Also broke up 8 passes on the year (2nd-most on the team), and had two more balls that he deflected on pass rushes that were intercepted by FS William Moore - one of which Moore returned for a back-breaking touchdown in the Cotton Bowl against Arkansas ... Had double-digit tackle games seven times on the season, as he showed a constant ability to be around the ball and make contact ... Led the team with 11 tackles in his first-career collegiate start against Illinois ... Was second on the team with nine tackles in the Big 12 Championship against Oklahoma ... Ranked 5th in the Big 12 with his 130 tackles.

2006 SEASON: Saw action in all 13 games, primarily on various special teams units, and was named Mizzou's special teams player of the year, as he led the team with 9 tackles on kickoff coverage ... Had 17 tackles in all for the season, and had stops in 9-of-13 games ... Saw the field in reserve duty on defense, and was listed as the backup on the depth chart at middle linebacker to senior co-captain Dedrick Harrington ... In his collegiate debut versus Murray State, had 5 tackles and blocked a punt that went out of the endzone for a safety ... One of four true freshmen to play for the Tigers in 2006.

Forget Earl Thomas I want this guy :tt:

jollyrob68
02-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Dont be surprised if the Steelers pick him or Brandon Spikes. If McClain falls to 10 I can see moving up to get him.
Something is telling me Earl Thomas isnt on their radar if he messures under 5'10" in the first round.

supa_fly_steeler
02-26-2010, 04:55 PM
I don't know if this is a good pick. Just look at how Lawrence Timmons is at the moment and we passed up a true linebacker like Jon Beason who has racked up 419 tackles already in his career.

Dont be surprised if the Steelers pick him or Brandon Spikes. If McClain falls to 10 I can see moving up to get him.
Something is telling me Earl Thomas isnt on their radar if he messures under 5'10" in the first round.

I could see Earl Thomas measuring up 5"9

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 05:46 PM
[QUOTE=supa_fly_steeler;776699]I don't know if this is a good pick. Just look at how Lawrence Timmons is at the moment and we passed up a true linebacker like Jon Beason who has racked up 419 tackles already in his career.

This aint no Timmons buddy. He very well might be the best LB in the draft.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2010, 06:27 PM
I could see Weatherspoon at #18. I dont think Brandon Spikes gets drafted until the 2nd round.

mulldog24
02-26-2010, 06:47 PM
I would be very happy with Weatherspoon at #18! I think the guy is one of the best LBers in the draft and would be the perfect replacement for Farrior.

St33lersguy
02-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Isn't Weatherspoon an OLB? I have seen reports that he's an OLB. Rather have Earl Thomas anyway, he's a better player.

supa_fly_steeler
02-26-2010, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=supa_fly_steeler;776699]I don't know if this is a good pick. Just look at how Lawrence Timmons is at the moment and we passed up a true linebacker like Jon Beason who has racked up 419 tackles already in his career.

This aint no Timmons buddy. He very well might be the best LB in the draft.

I wouldn't take an outside linebacker and turn him into a middle linebacker. For that id rather have spikes.

The Timmons experiment at the moment after 3 seasons blows especially when i already said we passed up a dude who has almost half as many tackles as Farrior has and farrior has played 8 more years or something lol.

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=Northside Jonny;776734]

I wouldn't take an outside linebacker and turn him into a middle linebacker. For that id rather have spikes.

The Timmons experiment at the moment after 3 seasons blows especially when i already said we passed up a dude who has almost half as many tackles as Farrior has and farrior has played 8 more years or something lol.

he is big and strong enough to play inside

Sharkissle29
02-26-2010, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=Northside Jonny;776734]

Timmons has only been a full time starter 1 year, where Beason has started at MLB since day one. If we drafted Beason, you better bet he wouldnt have started as a rookie....just how our system works.

Timmons is consistently getting better.

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm watching the replay of the Senior Bowl right now and Weatherspoon is definantly playing ILB and doing a damn fine job.

supa_fly_steeler
02-26-2010, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=supa_fly_steeler;776791]

Timmons has only been a full time starter 1 year, where Beason has started at MLB since day one. If we drafted Beason, you better bet he wouldnt have started as a rookie....just how our system works.

Timmons is consistently getting better.

... Beason has had seasons of 130+ tackles, solid tackles each year.

What does Timmons do? Yea he great in coverage but a middle linebacker u need to stop the run. He had almost half as less of Beason.

I think we made the wrong decision getting Timmons instead of Beason.

If we had Beason i bet he would of made that tackle which Farrior missed during week 3 v Bengals. I bet he would of wrapped up Ray Rice those 2 games. And he sure as hell wouldnt of got run over by McClain. Man how embarrasing especially on your goaline.

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 10:05 PM
[QUOTE=RushHard34;776795]

... Beason has had seasons of 130+ tackles, solid tackles each year.

What does Timmons do? Yea he great in coverage but a middle linebacker u need to stop the run. He had almost half as less of Beason.

I think we made the wrong decision getting Timmons instead of Beason.

If we had Beason i bet he would of made that tackle which Farrior missed during week 3 v Bengals. I bet he would of wrapped up Ray Rice those 2 games. And he sure as hell wouldnt of got run over by McClain. Man how embarrasing especially on your goaline.

1. Timmons sat behind Larry Foote for 2 seasons
2. Timmons has started significantly less games than Beason yet has 12 sacks vs. Beason's 3
3.It is obvious that the two are asked to do considerably different things, cause Carolina runs a 4-3 and the Steelers run a 3-4

In conclusion it is unfair to compare the two players because of the difference in shceme and playing time.

Sharkissle29
02-26-2010, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE=supa_fly_steeler;776798]

1. Timmons sat behind Larry Foote for 2 seasons
2. Timmons has started significantly less games than Beason yet has 12 sacks vs. Beason's 3
3.It is obvious that the two are asked to do considerably different things, cause Carolina runs a 4-3 and the Steelers run a 3-4

In conclusion it is unfair to compare the two players because of the difference in shceme and playing time.

+1

If we had drafted beason, i guarantee you his numbers wouldnt have looked like that his first 3 years in the black and gold....

supa_fly_steeler
02-26-2010, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE=Northside Jonny;776829]

+1

If we had drafted beason, i guarantee you his numbers wouldnt have looked like that his first 3 years in the black and gold....

no but he would of got alot more tackles than timmons this season if he started

beason also ran a faster 40 or tied it at the combine he doesn't blitz much because he dont want his ass run over on the goaline on national t.v.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
02-26-2010, 10:29 PM
The problem with comparing Timmons to Weatherspoon is, coming out of college, the two are on different levels. Weatherspoon has started at linebacker for Missouri for two seasons and in that time has talied 285 tackles (155 this past season which is second all time a Mizzu). When Timmons came out he was a one year starter and had only 79 tackles that season. I believe we drafted Timmons as more of a raw talent that could be molded into our prototypical LB. Weatherspoon on the other hand is more refined and could probably start for us on day one. You just can't say Weatherspoon is Timmons.

Chidi29
02-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Teams also gashed Carolina up the middle this year because Kemoeatu ws hurt. Tackle numbers are a bad indicator of how good you are because it depends on things like defensive line play and how often teams ran at you. And a MIKE will usually get more tackles than a 3-4 ILB. Way the defense works. Farrior has had many seasons where he's had way less tackles than what Beason has put up.

I don't get the Timmons hate, He's extremely athletic and sure, while he isn't like Farrior, he can hold his own against the run. Excellent pass rusher to and will only get beter in time and a year removed from nagging ankle injuries.

Supa, why are you bringing up the Brian Leonard play? Farrior missed the tackle, not Timmons.

Northside Jonny
02-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Check out this highlight film! I like it because it shows the good and the bad.
xx-BxSaQVh4

Merchant
02-27-2010, 12:29 AM
Enough with the hate on Timmons.. watch him have a monster year in 2010 after a year of starting experience under his belt and make you all eat your words.. I actually liked what I saw from him the 2nd half of the season, especially when we blitzed him up the middle

supa_fly_steeler
02-27-2010, 12:35 AM
I'm not hating on Timmons im questioning why they passed up the talent of Michael Griffien and the likes of Jon Beason.

Northside Jonny
02-27-2010, 12:55 AM
This is not a Lawrence Timmons Thread!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK OF THE HIGHLIGHT VIDEO!

xXTheSteelKingsXx
02-27-2010, 01:15 AM
This is not a Lawrence Timmons Thread!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK OF THE HIGHLIGHT VIDEO!

Looks like he covers the field well. Made some nice moves to get off blocks too. He did look flat footed a few times against the Navy although he isn't the first to look silly facing the triple option.

Galax Steeler
02-27-2010, 06:38 AM
I would not have a problem taking Weatherspoon at 18. I am big on Thomas but as we get closer to the draft I am starting to think he will not be there when we pick at 18. So I would be fine with this pick to replace Farrior.

Northside Jonny
02-28-2010, 05:46 PM
BIO

Birth Date: December 29, 1987
Birthplace: Greenville, South Carolina
Career Highlights: *Butkus Award finalist (2009)
Franklin De'Sean "Sean" Weatherspoon (born December 29, 1987 in Greenville, South Carolina) is an American football linebacker for the Missouri Tigers. He is considered one of the best prospects available for the 2010 NFL Draft.

I did not know his first name was Franklin!

jollyrob68
02-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Weatherspoon can play inside or outside LB and we need both. I like the guy.

Vincent
02-28-2010, 08:03 PM
I don't know if this is a good pick. Just look at how Lawrence Timmons is at the moment and we passed up a true linebacker like Jon Beason who has racked up 419 tackles already in his career.

I get to watch Beason here in the Carolinas, and yes, he's a beast. Would have loved to have him except he's a 4-3 ILB, and thats what he plays here. Wasn't wild about the Timmons pick either.

I like Witherspoon a lot and can see him as one of our ILBs. Thinking we could get him later in the 1st though. Maybe with SD'a pick. Spoon and 2 2nds would be great.

supa_fly_steeler
02-28-2010, 08:25 PM
I get to watch Beason here in the Carolinas, and yes, he's a beast. Would have loved to have him except he's a 4-3 ILB, and thats what he plays here. Wasn't wild about the Timmons pick either.

I like Witherspoon a lot and can see him as one of our ILBs. Thinking we could get him later in the 1st though. Maybe with SD'a pick. Spoon and 2 2nds would be great.

Spoon want's to go the the Falcons... douchebag. Id rather have someone else grateful to be a player of the most storied franchise in the nfl.

I still think Beason would be a beast in the Steelers... Pity we didnt selct him of Michael Griffin who had 10 interceptions in 2 years

Vincent
02-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Spoon want's to go the the Falcons...

Bus wanted to be a cowfelon. Lambert wanted to be a stain. And here we are.

Galax Steeler
02-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Talkative LB Gets to Talk Some More

Missouri LB Sean Weatherspoon measured in at 6-1 ¼ and weighed 239 pounds. He said he gained about 12 pounds from his junior to senior year “eating cheeseburgers in the dining hall” and made a point to take that weight off after his senior year because he wasn’t looking as fluid on tape as he was as a junior, when he said he had a more productive season.

He said teams are looking at him as a middle or weakside linebacker in a 4-3 system and Mike or Mo linebacker in a 3-4 defensive system.

Weatherspoon impressed scouts at the Senior Bowl and said they have asked him if his talkative personality at the Senior Bowl was a front. No, he’s talkative all the time and he’ll put that into practice tonight in interviews from 7:45 p.m. to 11 p.m. He has already had formal interviews with Denver, Jacksonville, Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

http://pit.scout.com/2/949639.html

Northside Jonny
02-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Spoon want's to go the the Falcons
Pretty sure he will be happy to go to any team so he can make Millions playing a game. Supa you never seem to dissappoint when a thread needs a jackass comment added!:kick:

xXTheSteelKingsXx
02-28-2010, 08:50 PM
Pretty sure he will be happy to go to any team so he can make Millions playing a game. Supa you never seem to dissappoint when a thread needs a jackass comment added!:kick:

:toofunny: Glad someone said it.

Northside Jonny
02-28-2010, 09:12 PM
SPOON + STEELER NATION = PERFECT HARMONY
http://www.columbiamissourian.com/media/multimedia/2009/08/09/media/080909_FanDay3_t_w600_h600.jpg

Galax Steeler
03-01-2010, 04:34 AM
SPOON + STEELER NATION = PERFECT HARMONY
http://www.columbiamissourian.com/media/multimedia/2009/08/09/media/080909_FanDay3_t_w600_h600.jpg

He is a pretty good size kid looks like the Steeler type guy.

Galax Steeler
03-01-2010, 05:08 AM
NFL/The Combine: Missouri linebacker Steelers kind of player

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10060/1039382-66.stm#ixzz0guzHmfH2

Monday, March 01, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

INDIANAPOLIS -- Sean Weatherspoon seems like a natural fit at inside linebacker for the Steelers. He chatters like Larry Foote, has played behind Ziggy Hood and even knows the difference between the buck and mack positions in their 3-4 defense.

And, like Hines Ward, he is smiling all the time.

"That's my thing, always talking, always having a good time," said Weatherspoon, a Missouri linebacker and one of the top inside prospects at the NFL Scouting Combine. "I love football. It's not a right to play football. It's a privilege. The good Lord has blessed me with that privilege to be here, and I am excited. "

He might get another privilege: Eventually replacing James Farrior at inside linebacker in the Steelers' defense.

Of all the positions the Steelers might want to address in the NFL draft, perhaps none is in more need of attention than inside linebacker where Farrior, their captain, is 35 and without a young replacement behind him. That became even more apparent after nose tackle Casey Hampton, who will be 33 in September, signed a three-year, $21.3 million contract last week.

Weatherspoon is not considered the top linebacker in the draft. Right now, that distinction belongs to Alabama's Rolando McClain (6 feet 31/3, 254 pounds), who is bigger than Weatherspoon (6-1 1/4, 239) and played in the 3-4 defense in college with the national champion Crimson Tide.

But McClain might not get past the New York Giants, who have the 15th overall pick in the draft and are looking for a replacement for Antonio Pierce. Because of his size, McClain could also play middle linebacker in a 4-3 defense.

"I think me playing under coach [Nick] Saban kind of gave me an advantage, especially playing in his 3-4," McClain said. "His 3-4 is so complicated. He's coach Saban. He's one of the best defensive minds. I learned so much from him."

The Steelers have the 18th overall pick and, if they don't have a shot at McClain, might consider Weatherspoon, who played with last year's No. 1 pick -- Ziggy Hood -- at Missouri. Weatherspoon finished with more than 400 career tackles with the Tigers and is considered an inside linebacker in the 3-4 because of how well he runs to the ball.

Other teams, though, are looking at him as an outside linebacker in a 4-3 defense. Not the Steelers, who met with Weatherspoon Friday night.

"Coach [Mike] Tomlin said he saw me fitting in at either the mack or the buck," Weatherspoon said, referring to the positions played by Farrior (buck) and Lawrence Timmons (mack) in the Steelers' defense. "He was saying inside, that is what he talked about. I don't have a problem with that.

"If I've got to do the dirty work and take on the linemen to free up the other players for them to make plays, then I am all about that. I am all about just being a team guy and taking care of business."

And what if he got to play behind Hood again?

"That would be cool," Weatherspoon said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10060/1039382-66.stm

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 05:50 AM
Hmm if he runs a 4.4 he's going to climb and climb.

Northside Jonny
03-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Sound like a class act to me! Hope we get him. Thanks for the article Galax

PittdaBurgh56
03-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Spooooooooonnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 34 Reps great character= steelers 18th pick

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2010, 11:21 AM
I think this kid could be a solid force in the middle for years to come. I would not be disappointed if he was picked #18 by the Steelers.

Northside Jonny
03-01-2010, 12:17 PM
I think another thing that nobody has mentioned yet , is the fact that Spoon is showing that he has better leadership qualities than Earl Thomas. Just look at the article posted by Galax some of the things he say just shows strong leadership qualities. This Defense is gonna need to start grooming a future leader Spoon fits the bill Thomas does not.

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 12:23 PM
I think another thing that nobody has mentioned yet , is the fact that Spoon is showing that he has better leadership qualities than Earl Thomas. Just look at the article posted by Galax some of the things he say just shows strong leadership qualities. This Defense is gonna need to start grooming a future leader Spoon fits the bill Thomas does not.

defensive backs arn't suppose to be defensive leaders when there far away from the field... linebackers are the quarterbacks of the defense.

Northside Jonny
03-01-2010, 12:27 PM
defensive backs arn't suppose to be defensive leaders when there far away from the field... linebackers are the quarterbacks of the defense.

No there where guys like Brian Dawkins, Ronnie Lott, Rod Woodson, Ed Reed.

jonslow
03-01-2010, 12:27 PM
http://www.sidelinescouting.net/rankings/olb.shtml#weatherspoon

I was covering the Senior Bowl, and in all honesty, Spoon was my favorite player there. I didn't pay much attention to him before that week, and I left with a lot of admiration for the guy. He has everything we look for as a Steeler. He's physical, he's hard working, he's a great leader and displays a desire to get better. As an added bonus, Spoon's one of the most fun guys to watch, both on the field and on the sidelines. His personality matches his skill, and I for one would love to see him in Pittsburgh next year.

And to quell any concerns about his ability to play inside, he practiced/played all week at inside linebacker at the Senior Bowl. Coming in at 240+ lbs, he has the size and physicality to play in the middle. He's actually very versatile and I think he and Timmons playing ILB in the future would be a great combination. Add Woodley and Harrison to the mix and I don't think there's be any doubt the Steelers would have the best linebacker corp in the league.

He get's my thumbs-up.

PittdaBurgh56
03-01-2010, 12:28 PM
You said it "linebackers arr the quaterback of the defense" They are the heart and soul of the 3-4 defense that is way picking Earl Thomas doesnt make sense.
You need to replace ILB linebacker(Farrior) and Weatherspoon is that guy

Spooooooooooooon

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 12:30 PM
No there where guys like Brian Dawkins, Ronnie Lott, Rod Woodson, Ed Reed.

There Hall of Famers.....

Ravens had Ray Lewis....

4 out of 32 teams....

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 12:34 PM
You said it "linebackers arr the quaterback of the defense" They are the heart and soul of the 3-4 defense that is way picking Earl Thomas doesnt make sense.
You need to replace ILB linebacker(Farrior) and Weatherspoon is that guy

Spooooooooooooon

You just want to select the player because he has better leadership qualities... LOL ok I would take the better run stoppers and let the 1st round coverage linebacker Lawrence Timmons to learn or show leadership it's about time we spend a 1st round pick on him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2010, 12:34 PM

I completely agree. While Woodley has great leadership qualities....he isnt the kind of vocal leader that Weatherspoon is. Woodley is kind of a quiet leader like Levon Kirkland is and Spoon would me much more of a Farrior or Earl Holmes vocal leader in the middle.

OK, he may be the guy I officially pimp this season. Last year was Alex Mack and Eric Wood....:banging:

Steeldude
03-01-2010, 12:44 PM
I completely agree. While Woodley has great leadership qualities....he isnt the kind of vocal leader that Weatherspoon is. Woodley is kind of a quiet leader like Levon Kirkland is and Spoon would me much more of a Farrior or Earl Holmes vocal leader in the middle.

OK, he may be the guy I officially pimp this season. Last year was Alex Mack and Eric Wood....:banging:

IMO, i don't think the steelers have had a legit leader on defense since lambert. lambert was intelligent, full of energy and not only led by example, but also vocally.

Northside Jonny
03-01-2010, 12:44 PM
You just want to select the player because he has better leadership qualities... LOL ok I would take the better run stoppers and let the 1st round coverage linebacker Lawrence Timmons to learn or show leadership it's about time we spend a 1st round pick on him.

You just said on another page that LB's are the QB's of the D. Yes I would use my first overall pick on a guy with strong leadership qualities and who is a good a player as a leader like Spoon is . Face it Farrior isn't getting any younger. Safeties are a dime a dozen you can get one in later rounds (i.e. Myron Rolle,Nate Allen , Chad Jones), but a quality LB who can captain a defense isn't as easy to find.

PittdaBurgh56
03-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Agree Norhtside Jonny...we need to replace farrior and before we do that our defense wont get better

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Safeties are a dime a dozen you can get one in later rounds (i.e. Myron Rolle,Nate Allen , Chad Jones), . Nate Allen or Morgan Burnett would be fine in the B&G. :tt:

Northside Jonny
03-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Agree Norhtside Jonny...we need to replace farrior and before we do that our defense wont get better

What some people don't understand is that having 4 extremely good LB when running the 3-4 zone blitz is so important. Much more important than a Safety that can intercept the ball. The zone blitz relies on creating pressure and forcing mistakes by the QB. Wich mean you better have 4 badass LB's or the QB will sit back there and pick you apart.

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 12:58 PM
You just said on another page that LB's are the QB's of the D. Yes I would use my first overall pick on a guy with strong leadership qualities and who is a good a player as a leader like Spoon is . Face it Farrior isn't getting any younger. Safeties are a dime a dozen you can get one in later rounds (i.e. Myron Rolle,Nate Allen , Chad Jones), but a quality LB who can captain a defense isn't as easy to find.

Yes i did say that... not all leadership qualities u can get just int he first round.

Hines Ward is an offensive leader and he was selected in the fith Joey Porter was was selected in the third round, and we all knew he was a great defensive leader, ran his mouth alot but also backed it up with his play.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
03-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Kid has a great attitude. But cant we just trade up for Haden? :)

Northside Jonny
03-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Yes i did say that... not all leadership qualities u can get just int he first round.

Hines Ward is an offensive leader and he was selected in the fith Joey Porter was was selected in the third round, and we all knew he was a great defensive leader, ran his mouth alot but also backed it up with his play.

I'm in the minority but I never was a big Porter fan! A lot of spirit but sometimes he was missing on gameday IMO!

Northside Jonny
03-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Did you see Spoon in the White jump suite at the combine . 4.57 -40 yards
Oh yeah the announcers said when asked where he wants to play Spoon said I want to be in the MIDDLE OF IT ALL

kirklandrules
03-01-2010, 03:02 PM
I live in Charlotte and get to see Beason a lot. He's a stud, but I don't think he'd be as good in our system. He doesn't seem to do too well in pass coverage ... at least Potsy can be blamed for being too old. Beason is similar to Foote in that he's great against the run, but usually a step behind in pass. Timmons will be a very good ILB. He showed a lot of improved in the second half of the year. I also agree with the prior posts that his blitzing is outstanding. The kid brings the heat and does it at 100 MPH. I don't think he's the great ILB or anything like that, but if he keeps improving he'll definitely be someone that will cause opposing Def Coordinators some fits.

As far as Weatherspoon goes .... how can't you like this guy. Give him one year to sit behind Potsy, rotate in on occassion, and learn the system.

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 03:08 PM
weatherspoons been the best linebacker today.

he looks like an overgrown ladainian tomlinson look a like.

i think he might go higher than mcclain, with mcclain opting out today but revis did the same.

Northside Jonny
03-01-2010, 03:16 PM
SPOON is Blowin up the combine by far the best LB. On the other hand I think Brandon Spikes has stumbled today.

kirklandrules
03-01-2010, 04:14 PM
he looks like an overgrown ladainian tomlinson look a like.

You got it! I couldn't figure out who he looked like ... he's a big LT.

Northside Jonny
03-02-2010, 02:00 AM
Spoon was highly impressive in the drills today! I hope he was just as impressive when the Steelers interviewed him.

Northside Jonny
03-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Just pimpin my boy! Check out the badass white workout suite! Rockin the combine!
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20100301/capt.8d730d00a94049de89330df1b4e483d6.nfl_combine_ football_nas208.jpg

JHSilverback
03-02-2010, 05:44 PM

Well the linebackers get the base formation and tell everyone but, from there it changes imo. I see it as the linebackers control the front 7 and the safeties control the dbs. I've seen occasions where Farrior has pointed out or moved someone into position. I've also seen Troy do the exact thing back in the secondary. I think the leadership skills are something special for a player and that any one defensive position can't be labeled the spot for "The Leader". Like as stated by both Supa and Northside Ray Lewis is a leader on his defense but, Brian Dawkins was the leader of that Eagles defense. So I wouldn't mind either Thomas or Weatherspoon both seem to have excellent talents and hopefully can bring leadership qualities.

Northside Jonny
03-08-2010, 09:40 PM
For all you spoon fans out there, todays signing looks good for us to take the guy with the 18th pick in April. Hopefully this is what will happen instead of a OL pick.

SteelerNation12
03-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Id be happy with Mcclain or Spoon. More so Mcclain though because of his ability to shred blockers.

taztroy43
03-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I would rather have McClain than Spoon any time of the day!!! lol but if he's drafted before us then we should go w/ Spoon if the Steelers want to go w/ a LB....

Steeldude
03-09-2010, 06:10 AM
is weatherspoon vocal, as in barking orders, making sure people know their assignments, what play to expect etc...?

or is he vocal like a loudmouth who just wants to hear himself like porter?

PittdaBurgh56
03-09-2010, 06:23 AM
He a very smart football player and when he talks its either
Telling people their assignments
But most of his barking is encouragement to other players as well as praise for a nice play...but im sure he will get on someone if they didnt do their job which is what a leader is suppose to do.

Hes not the type of loudmouth joey porter was...but we will find out once he gets drafted weather it be at 18 or somewhere else.

supa_fly_steeler
03-09-2010, 09:23 AM
is weatherspoon vocal, as in barking orders, making sure people know their assignments, what play to expect etc...?

scouts said he's a loudmouth.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-09-2010, 09:50 AM

OLB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri
For as well as Weatherspoon worked out on the field and for as much as his "character" is praised within the Missouri program, he has turned off a number of decision makers just as much with his outlandish, look-at-me, loudmouth personality and has been criticized for worrying too much about his image and post-football career aspirations before he has accomplished anything in the National Football League. "He never shuts up," one top executive said. "He was the loudest guy in the room for the bench press. He gives me a headache. I think he is full of (it). It's all about himself. I don't want him in my locker room."
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/03/02/combine-winners-and-losers

You be the judge.

Texasteel
03-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Sounds like you could write that same thing, and just substitute the name TO with Weatherspoon.

Northside Jonny
03-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Quote:
OLB Sean Weatherspoon, Missouri
For as well as Weatherspoon worked out on the field and for as much as his "character" is praised within the Missouri program, he has turned off a number of decision makers just as much with his outlandish, look-at-me, loudmouth personality and has been criticized for worrying too much about his image and post-football career aspirations before he has accomplished anything in the National Football League. "He never shuts up," one top executive said. "He was the loudest guy in the room for the bench press. He gives me a headache. I think he is full of (it). It's all about himself. I don't want him in my locker room."
http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...ers-and-losers

This is why I say draft him now when we have a team full of vets that can handle a ****y young stud and put him in his place. I really hope his love for the game is stronger than his love for attention. Regardless who takes him it will be interesting to see how the kid turns out.

Northside Jonny
03-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri
This guy has character, athletic ability, the football IQ to play in the middle, and he impressed at the combine. He finished his college career with more than 400 tackles, 43.5 tackles for loss, 12.5 sacks, and 18 passes defensed.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-09-2010, 04:56 PM
This is a little old but here is an interview with Spoon at the combine.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-player-interviews/09000d5d816ae551/Sean-Weatherspoon-interview

Seems to me that he is real charismatic and energetic. He's definitly not shy in front of the camera.

Steeldude
03-10-2010, 01:31 AM
This is why I say draft him now when we have a team full of vets that can handle a ****y young stud

many of these vets are about at the end of their careers. as soon as they leave he will turn on the mouth. do you thinkterrel owens would have kept his mouth shut in pittsburgh? IMO, i doubt it.

if weatherspoon is just another loudmouth who loves to hear himself, then i say pass on him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-10-2010, 11:36 AM
The cool thing is that Ziggy Hood will be able to tell the Steelers if he is a positive or negative in the locker room, since Hood played with Weatherspoon at Mizzou. If the Steelers pick him, we know that they have it from a good source.

I dont know about you guys, but there is no way that I reccommend a guy to come to my workplace if I know he is a disruption. Because once he stirs up $hit, it puts the heat on me too.

Northside Jonny
03-10-2010, 01:29 PM
The cool thing is that Ziggy Hood will be able to tell the Steelers if he is a positive or negative in the locker room, since Hood played with Weatherspoon at Mizzou. If the Steelers pick him, we know that they have it from a good source.

I dont know about you guys, but there is no way that I reccommend a guy to come to my workplace if I know he is a disruption. Because once he stirs up $hit, it puts the heat on me too.

+1 Great point Gonzo.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-10-2010, 01:54 PM
..and to be fair, here is the other side of the Sean Weatherspoon analysis.

As for the unflattering comments about Weatherspoon’s conduct on the field — PFW Senior Editor Nolan Nawrocki referred to his “outlandish, look-at-me, loudmouth personality”— the former Tiger was surprised to be miscast as selfish. Missouri coaches don’t understand the criticism, either. Buffalo Bills inside linebackers coach Demontie Cross, a former Tigers safety, recently called Missouri’s staff to see if there was any truth to the reports. Absolutely not, was the universal response, one MU coach said. Another Missouri assistant told Cross that if there was one player from last year’s roster he’d trust to baby-sit his kids for a weekend, it would be Weatherspoon.
http://www.tigerextra.com/news/2010/mar/05/can-this-tiger-measure-up/

supa_fly_steeler
03-10-2010, 01:58 PM
..and to be fair, here is the other side of the Sean Weatherspoon analysis.

Thats what his Coaches would say though.

Northside Jonny
03-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Thats what his Coaches would say though.

I know I wouldn't say they could babysit my kids for the weekend if I didn't mean it .

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2010, 12:03 PM
I know I wouldn't say they could babysit my kids for the weekend if I didn't mean it .

Exactly!!!

A college coach has no reason to lie about a prospect to a NFL team. The moment you give an NFL team knowingly wrong information.......you will be blacklisted for ever getting any kind of help from them. No coaches at your clinics, no reciprocal coaching info and most certainly no consideration for any work for an NFL team.

Many of these college coaches have built or are building a reputation on which to further their career. They are not gonna throw it away on a kid they they coached for 4 years that might be a jerk. :headshake:

Northside Jonny
03-12-2010, 12:35 PM
As for all the loudmouth business! I recall a guy name Porter who was a pretty big loudmouth in his own right ,but the dude was not a disruption and got along fine with the players and coaches in the locker room.