PDA

View Full Version : Steelers interview Golden Tate at the combine

vrabinec
02-26-2010, 03:28 PM
He's the only one I see in this article as of the time I read it that we interviewed. Hopefully we get to some guards and centers soon.

http://profootball.scout.com/2/949400.html

pete74
02-26-2010, 04:27 PM
i didnt read the article yet but we better not be looking at him in the 1st round. he is a 2nd round pick but i think we have muce bigger needs ther a wr

43Hitman
02-26-2010, 04:33 PM
i didnt read the article yet but we better not be looking at him in the 1st round. he is a 2nd round pick but i think we have muce bigger needs ther a wr

They are just doing their due diligence. How else is our FO going to put a draft board together if they know nothing of the mental capabilities of most of the best young talent in this draft?

Psyychoward86
02-26-2010, 05:01 PM
omg lol. He's meeting with 15 other teams.....

Notre Dame wide receiver Golden Tate just wrapped up a lengthy and crowded press conference, and provided his entire formal visits schedule.

Last night he met with the Rams. Tonight he will be meeting with the Steelers, Patriots, 49ers, Dolphins, Cowboys, Packers and the Buccaneers.

Saturday night he's scheduled to meet with the Colts, Jets, Raiders, Lions, Panthers, Chiefs, Bengals and Ravens.

15 other teams salivating over him. Nice :chuckle:

solardave
02-27-2010, 05:48 AM
Squeeze em' all in fast. Strike while the iron is hot.

Galax Steeler
02-27-2010, 06:34 AM
We for sure don't want him in the first round. Stranger things have happened.

supa_fly_steeler
02-27-2010, 06:48 AM
Lol i bet he tried to make last night's real quick and took cocaine so he didn't have to kill himself in talking how excited he would be to join that franchise.

St33lersguy
02-27-2010, 07:57 AM
We don't need another WR, and personally I don't want another WR, I don't want to see the steelers line up in shotgun almost every single play.

pete74
02-27-2010, 08:10 AM
We don't need another WR, and personally I don't want another WR, I don't want to see the steelers line up in shotgun almost every single play.

exactly. if he is around in the 5th then by all means grab him but we have much bigger needs then a wr right now.

steelerdave1969
02-27-2010, 02:12 PM
If he lasts til the Steelers pick in round 2 I wouldnt mind at all them taking him. But I really dont think he will be close to lasting that long. It would really suprise me if the Steelers select a WR real early with all the needs we have on offensive line and middle LB and Secondary.

O Sensei
02-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Anything other than o line, lb, secondary, secondary...did I mention secondary...prior to round 4 would be lunacy.

xbroughneck
02-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Steelers aren't drafting him. His hands are too sick (good) for a team to let him slip into the 3rd round, and the Steelers wouldn't pick him before that.

I like him though. He made some grabs this year where I thought DAAAAAAMMMMNNN. He's got great hands and good feet. He's going to make some team very happy, but it won't be the Steelers.

NEXT.:coffee:

preston0036
02-28-2010, 01:55 AM
i don't see why not what ever mr Colbert does im with it !why not get Hines replacement a year or two early?the passing game was sweet last year Big Ben and company didn't give up fourth qauter leads last season

xbroughneck
02-28-2010, 12:06 PM
i don't see why not what ever mr Colbert does im with it !why not get Hines replacement a year or two early?the passing game was sweet last year Big Ben and company didn't give up fourth qauter leads last season

1) Because we have THREE wide outs under contract that aren't going to lose their starting spots this year OR next. Hines, Holmes and Wallace are here to stay. Why spend first round money/pick on a guy that's going to ride the pine for at least two years with spotty time as the #4 receiver? Remember, we've got an all pro TE starting too that will be here for a few more years.

2) While i agree that grabbing the best available player can work, the defensive secondary of the Steelers is WAAAAYY too thin, and that was shown last year. Either the corner spot or safety spot need depth added. And not 5th round depth.

SteelerNation12
02-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Smoke screens........

Chidi29
02-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Keep in mind that Holmes contract is up this upcoming offseason. Would love to be able to lock him up long-term, but it won't be cheap to do so.

pete74
02-28-2010, 01:57 PM
i really hope we dont lose holmes but its a definatl possibility

dunkuntou
03-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Just so you know Golden Tate is the best receiver in the draft.

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Smoke screens........

this...

...lol arians will make a new shutgun with 8 wide receiver sets and not five.

memphissteelergirl
03-01-2010, 02:14 PM
They are just doing their due diligence. How else is our FO going to put a draft board together if they know nothing of the mental capabilities of most of the best young talent in this draft?

Agreed

Don't lose your minds, y'all...it's just an interview. :noidea:

That said, IMO we should wait until the later rounds to pick up another WR.

In the first round we should be getting players who can get us back to real Steeler football, i.e. more depth at RB and the Defense.

JEFF4i
03-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Too many needs higher than WR, but interviewing is a smart idea, because say he does decent in the NFL but needs a new home right as Ward is retiring?

NJarhead
03-01-2010, 04:01 PM
We don't need another WR right now (at least not as a priority), but for the record, Golden Tate fits the Steeler mold IMO. Plus, put a couple lbs on him and he could be a RB in the NFL. His style was always been similar to that of Mewelde Moore anyway. No I do not want him in the first round or over our other needs, but I would love to see him in the B&G.

SteelMember
03-02-2010, 10:00 AM
It's just a part of the process. A bunch of teams interviewed Suh. Some of them with the first pick in the 20's. (Eagles) It's not like they have a chance anyway. They just want to see what they will be missing. Or looking at across the line.

Just so you know Golden Tate is the best receiver in the draft.

Definately top 3. Dez Bryant is pretty good also. :wink02:

ricardisimo
03-02-2010, 02:41 PM
Keep in mind that Holmes contract is up this upcoming offseason. Would love to be able to lock him up long-term, but it won't be cheap to do so.

Good point. Other than Hines, what WR have we kept in the fold since Stallworth? We develop them and then they cash out, normally. Holmes could easily go that route.

Still, 1st or 2nd is way too high for a team with two SB MVP wideouts and a recent RotY candidate to boot. Late on day two would be more like it, especially considering where we got 60 Minutes.