PDA

View Full Version : What Position/ Who Do We Take in the First Round?

blitzburgh56
02-26-2010, 06:26 PM
I personally would like to see us move up and get Joe Haden. I know a lot of people are against trading up and thats understandable. I just wanted to hear some thoughts on what position/who we will take in the first round. Now that Big Snack is resigned you would have to think secondary or O line in my opinion. If we stay put at 18, I hope Earl Thomas falls to us. Just want to hear your guys opinions.

Steely McSmash
02-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Here's my take on positions of need:

ILB - Need to line someone up to take over for Farrior - Starter for 2011
OLB - No depth at all -- Harrison is up there in year (I know low mileage) - Need at least backup level talent.
DE - Still could use more youth here. Not a great need but there are a lot of good choices in this draft.
NT - With HAmpton re-signed the pressure if off but this is still a high need since Hampton is 32. I'm guessing 3rd rounder or so.
CB - Hard to say without knowing how K. Lewis is progressing but I think we need to add Quality here. Already nothing but backups aside from Ike.
FS - Mundy is the man at the moment with Clark unsigned. Lots of safeties in this draft - Makes me think round 2 is a good place to get one.
OL - Could be upgraded at pretty much any position.
RB/FB - Late round need.
TE - LAte round
WR - LAte round but wouldn't bet against FO picking one higher.

From all that I take that, provided good value is there in the first, FS, OL, ILB, CB are possbilities. ILB and OL are probably harder to find later on IMO.

St33lersguy
02-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Needs: DB: need depth all over defensive backfield
DL: Need depth and youth all over D-line
ILB: Farrior is no longer playing at his level
The steelers need to dress any one of these positions in the 1st round

Vincent
02-26-2010, 08:42 PM
With Snack and Skippy wrapped up, we don't need to lunge at any position. That said, I think the priorities are ILB, S, CB, OL, DL, OLB. But we have the luxury of BPA.

Who falls to us? :excited:

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 08:46 PM
ILB Sean Weatherspoon ideal replacement for an aging Farrior

xXTheSteelKingsXx
02-26-2010, 09:03 PM
I also like Weatherspoon as our guy in the first. Especially if we are able to grab Cody in the second or Troup/C. Thomas in the third.

BKAnthem
02-26-2010, 09:15 PM
CB- We have Ike Taylor and a bunch of guys who can't beat out Townsend
OL- We need a Center, Guard and Tackle...to go along with our new superior OL coach
LB- We need Depth
DL-we need Depth

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 09:46 PM
CB- We have Ike Taylor and a bunch of guys who can't beat out TownsendOL- We need a Center, Guard and Tackle...to go along with our new superior OL coach
LB- We need Depth
DL-we need Depth

I don't think that they couldn't beat out Deshea because of lack of physical tools. We all know that coach LeBeau's scheme is very hard to master(Troy didn't even start his first year remember). I'm banking on Burnett and Lewis having the full season and two training camps under their belts at least one if not both will contribute next season. I guess that is one thing that sucks about having such a complicated scheme. Other teams O's can't figure it out which is good, but on the other hand it is hard for your rookies to come in and contribute right away. So when inujuries occur or a free agent vet leaves it is hard to just grab a rookie off the bench and plug them in. Plus so much of having a successful defensive backfield relies on the DB's familiarity with eachother.

PhantomJB93
02-26-2010, 10:20 PM
In the order of most needed:

CB
FS
OT/OG
ILB
DT
HB

Our first pick should be one of the following in order of importance (only people with a realistic chance of being on the board)

Eric Berry (maybe? Ive seen some mocks have him drop as as low as 17th so it may be possible but Im 99% sure he'll be gone)
Joe Haden
Earl Thomas
Kyle Wilson
Bryan Bulaga
Mike Iutapi

BKAnthem
02-26-2010, 11:10 PM
I don't think that they couldn't beat out Deshea because of lack of physical tools. We all know that coach LeBeau's scheme is very hard to master(Troy didn't even start his first year remember). I'm banking on Burnett and Lewis having the full season and two training camps under their belts at least one if not both will contribute next season. I guess that is one thing that sucks about having such a complicated scheme. Other teams O's can't figure it out which is good, but on the other hand it is hard for your rookies to come in and contribute right away. So when inujuries occur or a free agent vet leaves it is hard to just grab a rookie off the bench and plug them in. Plus so much of having a successful defensive backfield relies on the DB's familiarity with eachother.

Then what's Gays excuse? Every time you turned around Steeler DB's were Chasing after getting flat out beat....especially Gay and Carter....even Taylor wasn't immune...They need a corner who can be put on an island and let Polamalu go crazy....Taylor seems to play better when he has a better partner in crime ( see; MacFadden, Bryant) and Maybe Burnett and Lewis can be something but good corners usually contribute right away...

Northside Jonny
02-26-2010, 11:39 PM
Then what's Gays excuse? Every time you turned around Steeler DB's were Chasing after getting flat out beat....especially Gay and Carter....even Taylor wasn't immune...They need a corner who can be put on an island and let Polamalu go crazy....Taylor seems to play better when he has a better partner in crime ( see; MacFadden, Bryant) and [B]Maybe Burnett and Lewis can be something but good corners usually contribute right away...

It was thought that Gay was ready to take over for McFadden. I guess they were wrong. I see you did not fully comprehend what I wrote.

MasterOfPuppets
02-27-2010, 12:04 AM
It was thought that Gay was ready to take over for McFadden. I guess they were wrong. I see you did not fully comprehend what I wrote.
wrong ? i guess that depends on how you look at it. it only cost the steelers a couple hundred thousand to watch gay suck...it cost the cardinals 5 million to watch mcfadden suck. the steelers can let gay walk this year and owe him nothing... do the cards have that option ? plus the steelers will get a comp pick for letting mcfadden. :noidea:

Northside Jonny
02-27-2010, 12:13 AM
wrong ? i guess that depends on how you look at it. it only cost the steelers a couple hundred thousand to watch gay suck...it cost the cardinals 5 million to watch mcfadden suck. the steelers can let gay walk this year and owe him nothing... do the cards have that option ? plus the steelers will get a comp pick for letting mcfadden. :noidea:

Did you even read my original post? Tell me honestly that when McFadden was let go you weren't convinced Gay could take over! In no way was I saying bring back Gay
I say let him walk.