PDA

View Full Version : Willie Colon tender or trade

jollyrob68
02-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Do You think the Steelers should tender Willie Colon a Highest tender 1st & 3rd, a 1st, 2nd, original draft position,right to match or No tender? Would you Trade Willie Colon for a draft picks and what round? KC,Tampa & NE have extra round 2's and Oakland has 2 extra round #3's?

I say if you can get an extra round 2 trade him. You can pick up a Tackle,Guard or Center in the first and second plus address the Defense in the second.

However if the Raiders offered both round 3's that would be sweet also.
WE NEED MORE RD2 & 3 PICKS.

Northside Jonny
02-27-2010, 09:41 PM
I honestly would rather see Colon come back! If they would trade anyone on the OL I would trade Starks . See if some team would be dumb enough to take on his big contract.

7willBheaven
02-27-2010, 10:22 PM
No I'd keep Colon. As far as trading Starks...i'd much rather trade Hartwig and keep Starks...he's the weakest link on our line. Yes he is better than Mahan was...but he gets run over a lot and so on.

Psyychoward86
02-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Why would you trade our best overall o-lineman....

Northside Jonny
02-27-2010, 11:10 PM

Who you talkin to ?

mikegrimey
02-27-2010, 11:45 PM
I think Colon and Kemomateau are keepers, the other spots should be up for grabs, sadly, we've grossly overpaid Starks the last two years and only gotten sketchy results from it. If we can get away with trading him it'd be a blessing, but 3 of our 5 starting oline could use serious upgrades, fixing 2 out of the 3 this offseason would be pretty productive.

7willBheaven
02-28-2010, 01:03 AM
Whos "Kemomateau"...is that a new guy? Is he related to Kemoeatu? Hahahah :-P

Anyways...i honestly dont think Starks is as bad as some believe. I think a lot of people may not like him because of how his contract situation went...Transition tagged one year...Franchised the next...and got a bigger contract than some (fans) would have liked. Had he gotten a smaller contract i highly doubt there'd be as many haters.

jollyrob68
02-28-2010, 01:51 AM
No I'd keep Colon. As far as trading Starks...i'd much rather trade Hartwig and keep Starks...he's the weakest link on our line. Yes he is better than Mahan was...but he gets run over a lot and so on.
Starks can play left or right tackle and he's out of position and should be the RT tackle.

I like Willie Colon but If I can Get a second round pick then you can take Pouncey in 1st and JAred Velheer,Hillsdale or Tony Washington Abilene Christian in the second. Or Trent Williams(wont be there),Anthony Davis(might slip to 18) in the 1st and Rodger Saffold,John Jerry or Mitch Petrus in the second. Mike Iupati in the 1st and JAred Velheer,Hillsdale or Tony Washington Abilene Christian in the second.

steelreserve
02-28-2010, 03:56 AM
Starks can play left or right tackle and he's out of position and should be the RT tackle.

Are you kidding? Sure, Starks came in as a RT, but every time we put him there he sucks so bad he's on the bench by midseason.

I think we ought to give Colon a 1st-round tender. That plus a big contract is more than anyone will want to give up for him. 1st and 3rd would be overkill. And if we got a 1st round pick, I'm confident we could take his replacement. 2nd, not as much. He's a good player and I want to keep him on the team if at all possible.

solardave
02-28-2010, 06:38 AM

During the 06' season when Colon was called for holding or a false start every other play I was ready to see him go but he has developed into our best lineman and I think we need him. I'm still holding out hope that Shipley will grow longer arms(:sofunny:) and be our center for a decade. Starks is an anchor. Not in a good way but an anchor on our ass with his contract. He's too slow and I for one would love to see someone take him off of our hands.

pete74
02-28-2010, 06:39 AM
we definatly need colon. he is probably tied with kemo as our best lineman. personally i would rather see us draft a tackel to play on the right side this year then move to left next. then we can play colon at gaurd were he would probably excel as one of the best in the leauge. starks is very inconsistent but he held his own against Allen and Dumervil last season. i was really surprised by how well he played in some games then let down in others. if he learns to play more consistent this year he can be a really good tackle

HometownGal
02-28-2010, 08:14 AM
I dunno - I'm 50/50 on this one. :noidea: Though he probably is our best OL'man, he still takes too many costly penalties imho.

I'd rather see them try to trade off Hartwig, though I know that would be a tough sell.

stillers4me
02-28-2010, 08:43 AM
During the 06' season when Colon was called for holding or a false start every other play I was ready to see him go but he has developed into our best lineman and I think we need him. I'm still holding out hope that Shipley will grow longer arms(:sofunny:) and be our center for a decade. Starks is an anchor. Not in a good way but an anchor on our ass with his contract. He's too slow and I for one would love to see someone take him off of our hands.

A. Q. Shipley is now with the Eagles. Let them stretch his arms. :hunch:

Rick5895
02-28-2010, 09:14 AM
I am not a Colon fan, never really have been, but he has improved immensely over the last season. If we could get a 2 and 3 for him I would say let him go. Willie is a guard playing tackle and with a couple of extra picks we can address a lot more with our D and O Line.

Chidi29
02-28-2010, 01:25 PM
I dunno - I'm 50/50 on this one. :noidea: Though he probably is our best OL'man, he still takes too many costly penalties imho.

I'd rather see them try to trade off Hartwig, though I know that would be a tough sell.

Colon had the least amount of penalties this year than he had either the past two seasons.

I'd give him a 1st/3rd tender without a doubt. He's by far our best lineman and doesn't get the respect he deserves from a lot of fans.

7willBheaven
02-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Plus in addition to what i said earlier.....everybody needs a Colon, hahah. (surprised someone didnt make this comment by now haha)

HometownGal
03-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Colon had the least amount of penalties this year than he had either the past two seasons.

I'd give him a 1st/3rd tender without a doubt. He's by far our best lineman and doesn't get the respect he deserves from a lot of fans.

Whether he had the "least amount of penalties this year" or not, a couple of the penalties he took were at the most inopportune times and 2 of them negated TD's. His overall play did improve and that is why I am 50/50 on the tender/trade question instead of a flat out trade him response.

As you will note from my prior post, I stated that he is our best OL'man.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2010, 08:31 AM
During the 06' season when Colon was called for holding or a false start every other play I was ready to see him go but he has developed into our best lineman and I think we need him. .
In 2006, Colon was a rookie that only played in 2 games.

Maybe you mean the '08 season where he had 11 penalties, which adds up to about one every other game. :doh: Exaggerate much???

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Whether he had the "least amount of penalties this year" or not, a couple of the penalties he took were at the most inopportune times and 2 of them negated TD's. His overall play did improve and that is why I am 50/50 on the tender/trade question instead of a flat out trade him response.

Very well put. When all emotion is set to the side and you look at these players from a business point of view...This is EXACTLY the stance that you have to take with players like Colon.

Yes he is the best O-lineman on the team...but he isnt a franchise player. Its always prudent to look at the possibilities and the market value.

truesteelerfan
03-01-2010, 12:11 PM
I am not a Colon fan, never really have been, but he has improved immensely over the last season. If we could get a 2 and 3 for him I would say let him go. Willie is a guard playing tackle and with a couple of extra picks we can address a lot more with our D and O Line.

This was said perfectly....I'm not sure how he's our best OL...maybe I'm just still hung up on his past performances when he was flagged so much.....But if we could get a 2 and a 3 for him, I'm content. He's servicable,but not a stud.

kirklandrules
03-01-2010, 01:12 PM
If you could get a 1/3 for him, I guess I'd do that. But no one will give you 1/3 for him. I'd be happier keeping him than trying to find a replacement for next season in this year's draft. Willie will be better this season than any tackle we draft this spring. More than anything, we need consistency and a true FB. And if we really want to run the football better, Colon does a very good job moving people backwards.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-01-2010, 01:56 PM
The Steelers will tender Colon and nobody is gonna give up a 1st round pick to sign him away. Then the Steelers will try and sign him long term, 2011 will see a lockout and depending on what happens this year in the draft.....they may get him long term.

I dont think the Steelers will trade Colon for a draft pick, just to start either Tony Hills or Trai Essex at RT this season.

Chidi29
03-01-2010, 07:34 PM

I think it's unfair to look at the result of the plays that Colon was penalized on. While unfortuante for us, those results are things he obviously doesn't control.

What i've said to do is to put a 1st/3rd tender on him, watch to make sure he doesnt regress this upcoming year, and provided he doesn't,reward him with a long-term.

devilsdancefloor
03-01-2010, 07:49 PM
i think it all depends on is hills ready or our we draft a OT stud in the first? Alot of ifs unless the Fo already has a plan to fill his void. I think our best Olineman didnt play full time last year. I really think legursky takes the C job this year.

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 07:16 AM
I think it's unfair to look at the result of the plays that Colon was penalized on. While unfortuante for us, those results are things he obviously doesn't control.

What i've said to do is to put a 1st/3rd tender on him, watch to make sure he doesnt regress this upcoming year, and provided he doesn't,reward him with a long-term.

OK - well I'd settle for Colon working a little more on his own discipline in TC and that goes for Starks too. :drink:

SteelMember
03-02-2010, 10:30 AM
A 1st round tender should be enough to keep other teams at bay.

Psyychoward86
03-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Starks. There's the guy i wouldnt mind trading during the draft.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-03-2010, 01:12 AM
Starks. There's the guy i wouldnt mind trading during the draft.

Don't even tease me with that one. That is a dream of mine. :banana:

Rick5895
03-03-2010, 05:34 AM
Willie got a 1st round tender, but as someone considered to be a very good OT I wouldn't be surprised to see some one over pay for him and give up a 1st to us.

pete74
03-03-2010, 05:35 AM
no way. overpay, definatly. but there isnt a team out there that will give up a 1st for colon.

chonba
03-03-2010, 10:32 PM
It had to have been intentional to use the words Colon, smells and tender in the same sentence. funny