PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Don't Have Many Options in Early Rounds

mesaSteeler
02-27-2010, 11:00 PM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/02/27/steelers-dont-have-many-options-in-early-rounds/
Steelers Don't Have Many Options in Early Rounds

By JJ Cooper

With a defense that is filled with 30-year-olds and an offensive line that has struggled for several years, you would think that Pittsburgh would have lots of different ways to go with its early-round draft picks.

But when you look at the roster a little more closely, what's clear is that Pittsburgh is keeping the 2008 Super Bowl champs together for one more run at the title. And that means there aren't a whole lot of positions where a rookie can be expected to see significant playing time.

And when you go position by position, there are some spots where it will be hard for a draft pick to even make the roster. Here's a look at what the Steelers could draft, with a number of likely/potential draftees for each position.

Quarterback (0/1?): Ben Roethlisberger is the starter and Dennis Dixon showed enough in his fill-in start against the Ravens to move up to No. 2. The Steelers have talked about bringing Charlie Batch back, likely as the No. 3 QB. If the Steelers re-sign Batch, any drafted or signed rookie quarterback would most likely end up as a training camp spare arm who could potentially join the practice squad.

Tailback (1): Willie Parker is gone, but the Steelers bring back 1,000-yard rusher Rashard Mendenhall as well as third-down back Mewelde Moore. Also, 2009 training camp star Issac Redman has a chance to earn a roster spot. It's likely that Pittsburgh will draft a running back to back-up Mendenhall, but considering how easy it is to draft a running back, they won't have to take one before the middle rounds of the draft.

Fullback (0): Steelers fans have made it clear that they want a fullback. Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has made it clear he doesn't like fullbacks. Pittsburgh has three potential hybrid fullbacks on the offseason roster, so it's pretty unlikely that Pittsburgh is going to draft the next Dan Kreider. Tank Summers will be back after a somewhat disappointing rookie season. Carey Davis is still only a restricted free agent, so he'll likely be back with any kind of tender offer and Sean McHugh should return after spending the 2009 season on injured reserve.

Wide Receiver (1): The emergence of 2009 rookie Mike Wallace as a very solid No. 3 receiver takes away any urgency the Steelers may have had about drafting a wideout. Pittsburgh has to start looking to re-sign Santonio Holmes (his contract is up after the 2010 season), but Homes, Wallace and Hines Ward gives the Steelers a receiving corps to envy. If Limas Sweed's offseason problems clear up, he could be the team's No. 4 receiver and filling a No. 5 spot is never hard (Stefan Logan and 2009 undrafted free agent Tyler Grisham could fight for that role). But considering Sweed's as yet unspecified problems, the Steelers will likely draft a wide receiver in the middle to late rounds to battle for the No. 4 spot.

Tight End (0): Pittsburgh has four NFL tight ends already under contract with Pro Bowler Heath Miller leading the way, followed by veteran Matt Spaeth, second-year pro David Johnson and fullback/tight end Sean McHugh. With all four expected to battle for three jobs at training camp, it's hard to see why the Steelers would draft a tight end unless he was an amazing value.

Offensive Line (1): The conventional wisdom in many places this offseason seems to be that the Steelers will make significant changes to upgrade their offensive line. Personally, I don't see it, as Pittsburgh is already bringing eight linemen to camp who have seen playing time, including seven who have started in the NFL. There's room for an upgrade at guard/center or a tackle who can backup now and eventually start, but it wouldn't be shocking if Pittsburgh drafted only one offensive linemen and largely went into 2010 with the same group who came out of the 2009 season.

Willie Colon, the team's best offensive lineman in 2009, is a restricted free agent, but if the Steelers tender him at a first-round value, they can ensure that they will either keep him or get a first-round pick in return if someone else tries to sign him. Assuming Colon is retained, Pittsburgh will have the entire starting five from last year under contract for 2010. They also will be getting 2008 starter Darnell Stapleton back from a knee injury. Stapleton could battle Justin Hartwig for the starting center spot, or serve as a backup guard/center. Doug Legursky, the team's primary interior backup at center/guard last year is also back, as is Ramon Foster (four starts in 2009) and 2009 third-round guard Kraig Urbik. Tony Hills, a somewhat disappointing 2008 draft pick, is also back for one last shot to stick as a tackle.

Defensive Ends (1): It's a great draft for 3-4 defensive ends, as Steelers player personnel head Kevin Colbert has already said. But Pittsburgh doesn't have a whole lot of spots to put more ends on the roster. Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel are clearly the starters, while 2009 first-rounder Ziggy Hood will likely play significant time as the No. 3 end in 2010. The Steelers also return Ra'Shon Harris, a 2009 sixth-round pick. Pittsburgh could draft another defensive end early to battle Harris for the No. 4 DE job this season with the hopes that he would pair with Hood down the road, but Smith and Keisel are both signed through 2011 and Keisel's current contract doesn't end until 2013. It's more likely that Pittsburgh will draft a defensive end in the later rounds to slowly develop into a role player.

Nose Tackles (1): Casey Hampton's new contract ensures he'll be the team's starter in 2010, likely in 2011 and possibly in 2012. His backup Chris Hoke is signed through the 2010 season, although Hoke is likely to look favorably at a contract extension that would allow him to retire as a Steeler. It's a very good draft for nose tackles, so Pittsburgh could look to find Hampton's eventual replacement, but whoever it is will likely be a No. 3 nose tackle in 2010 and only a backup in 2011, so there's no need to draft a first or second round nose tackle.

Outside Linebacker (1): Pittsburgh's starting outside linebackers are arguably the best pair in the league--James Harrison was the league's defensive player of the year in 2008 while LaMarr Woodley has 25 sacks in his first two seasons as a starter. But behind them, the Steelers have no one they can count on in case of an injury. If Harrison or Woodley was lost for a significant amount of time, Pittsburgh would likely need to move inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons to the outside while backup inside linebacker Keyaron Fox would step up to start. It usually takes Steelers' 3-4 outside linebackers a year to learn the system, so it makes sense for Pittsburgh to draft someone this year to become the primary backup in 2011. But whoever it is will likely have to spend a long time as an apprentice with Harrison and Woodley around.

Inside Linebacker (1): James Farrior showed signs in 2009 that he's finally starting to slow down, while Timmons alternated between making outstanding plays in the passing game and getting caught up in traffic on running plays. Fox has proven that he's a very solid backup in addition to being one of the team's best special teams players, so Pittsburgh doesn't have a glaring immediate need, but drafting Farrior's eventual replacement makes a lot of sense.

Cornerback (1): OK, here's a position where a draft pick could make an immediate impact. William Gay faltered in his first year as a starter and Ike Taylor has only one year left on his current deal. So Pittsburgh could use some help at the corner spot. The Steelers did draft Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett last season, so there already is some young blood on the roster, but a first-round cornerback would have a chance to start immediately. The only problem is that after Florida cornerback Joe Haden, who will likely be gone before the Steelers pick, there aren't many corners who carry a possible first-round grade.

Safety (1): Even if the Steelers re-sign Ryan Clark, Pittsburgh needs a young safety to bulk up what was one of the team's thinnest positions in 2009. If Clark isn't re-signed Pittsburgh will either have to sign a starting safety in free agency or draft an immediate starter. Drafting a starter at safety isn't easy in Pittsburgh--neither Troy Polamalu or Chris Hope, both Pro Bowlers later on, could learn the system well enough to start as rookies. In fact, you'd have to go back to Darren Perry in 1992 to find a Steelers' rookie safety who stepped in and played well as a starter. If Pittsburgh re-signs Clark, the ideal safety for them would be a combo safety who was able to play free or strong safety, both to eventually replace Clark and capably fill in if Polamalu goes down with another injury. If the Steelers don't re-sign Clark, they're more likely to look for more of a pure free safety who can serve as a compliment to Polamalu's free-lancing style.

Special Teams (0): With Daniel Sepulveda and Jeff Reed under contract, Pittsburgh doesn't need a kicker or punter and Stefan Logan played well enough last year to make return ability a bonus rather than a needed selling point for a wide receiver or cornerback.

Galax Steeler
02-28-2010, 08:23 AM
Nice read thanks Mesa

pete74
02-28-2010, 09:14 AM
even though i dont agree with everything it is a great read. i like how they broke down all the positions

sbbound
02-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Good read.. but its a little frustrating as well. All is not well like this rose colored article makes it seem. While I do agree that for the most part the steelers are going to try and make another run with 08's championship team, peoples jobs will definitely be up for grabs with this years draft. MLB is one place where both starters were underwhelming and adequate at best last year. It appears that farriors best days are behind him, and all nostalgia aside, the Steelers cant be afraid to pull the trigger on finding his replacement, whether through the draft or FA. I'd personally like them to find his replacement through FA because it will bring in someone with NFL experience to run this complicated defense, hopefully trumping the learning curve a bit. Also Timmons needs to step it up this year because he's just been way too light at the point of attack to hold down a MLB job on this defense. IMO the Steelers absolutely need to draft the best talent at the MLB position or in the secondary.

Rick5895
02-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Great read. I really value trading down in the 1st to get another 2nd round pick. I believe we could still get Mays lower than 18, which would allow us to pick Hamptons replacement in the 2nd as well as Farriors replacement.
I am in agreement about the CB situation as it pertains to the draft. We drafted 2 last season, after haden there is no real automatic starter in the draft, and I like Burnett and Lewis, I think we can wait a year to see if they pan out. Our secondary play had more to do with poor safety play (Carter) than poor CB play. We may have to draft an OT though and if Baluga is there when we draft, he would be a great choice. If we retain Colon then we can draft for depth in the later rounds.

Fire Haley
02-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Corner, safety, RB, OL, DL - that's a lot of places for a rookie to start.

I don't buy all this "woe is us" crap.

xbroughneck
02-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Our secondary play had more to do with poor safety play (Carter) than poor CB play. We may have to draft an OT though and if Baluga is there when we draft, he would be a great choice. If we retain Colon then we can draft for depth in the later rounds.

That is the most glaring weakness on this team. If Troy goes down, the Steelers pass defense all of a sudden becomes a bunch of NFL guys trying to make tackles AFTER a receiver has caught the ball. Ike is a jammer, William Gay plays OFF, and Deshea has lost a step and shouldn't be more than a nickel back.

But they good enough with Troy in the lineup. Unfortunately, he has a history of injury.

There are 3 options at safety in this draft where we KNOW the players will be better than Tyrone Carter, and almost as good as Ryan Mundy by season end. If any of those 3 are still on the board when the Steelers get to the 18th pick they've gotta pick one.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Great read. I really value trading down in the 1st to get another 2nd round pick. I believe we could still get Mays lower than 18, which would allow us to pick Hamptons replacement in the 2nd as well as Farriors replacement.
I am in agreement about the CB situation as it pertains to the draft. We drafted 2 last season, after haden there is no real automatic starter in the draft, and I like Burnett and Lewis, I think we can wait a year to see if they pan out. Our secondary play had more to do with poor safety play (Carter) than poor CB play. We may have to draft an OT though and if Baluga is there when we draft, he would be a great choice. If we retain Colon then we can draft for depth in the later rounds.

Taylor Mays is the next Roy Williams. Big hitter, but can't cover to save his life. I don't want him at all.

supa_fly_steeler
02-28-2010, 11:51 AM
I would still get a defensive back.

Lewis and Burnett won't be shutdown corners. Neither are Taylor and Gay.

AllD
02-28-2010, 12:01 PM
They are journeymen at best.

Chidi29
02-28-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't see the fact there isn't a clear cut "A or B" option as a bad thing. It'll allow for more flexibility and means we don't *have* to take a certain position early on. That tends to cause a team to reach a la Troy Edwards.

Chidi29
02-28-2010, 12:33 PM
I would still get a defensive back.

Lewis and Burnett won't be shutdown corners. Neither are Taylor and Gay.

LeBeau's scheme doesn't call for shutdown corners because it's a zone scheme. There isn't a reason to draft one of them. When was the last time we took a corner in the 1st? Granted, Ike was taken in the second but guys like Coclough have been as well.

supa_fly_steeler
02-28-2010, 12:36 PM
LeBeau's scheme doesn't call for shutdown corners because it's a zone scheme. There isn't a reason to draft one of them. When was the last time we took a corner in the 1st? Granted, Ike was taken in the second but guys like Coclough have been as well.

get your facts straight ike was taken in the 4th round.

We were going to take a Cornerback in the 2007 draft 1st but Revis wont there because of the Jets and for some reason we went with Timmons

how do u know we wont take a defensive back.

I don't see where u keep getting these silly facts like the ike taylor one.

Who cares if it's a zone scheme we haven't had a cornerback consistently to get 3+ interceptions each year. as a result look what happened last year.

And if you haven't noticed the age of Lebeau, he might retire this year when his contract is up. His football career has been fufilled

Steel_Bus_24
02-28-2010, 12:55 PM
CB,Safety, ILB, NT,OL

My order of need....I can't believe Im not shouting "O-Line!!!!!!!" again but, it was made obvious that without Troy our Pass D is s***

I have to say, I've been swayed, and feel Earl Thomas should be the route we go in the 1st......unless we can make a move for McClain

Prok
02-28-2010, 01:51 PM
CB,Safety, ILB, NT,OL

My order of need....I can't believe Im not shouting "O-Line!!!!!!!" again but, it was made obvious that without Troy our Pass D is s***

I have to say, I've been swayed, and feel Earl Thomas should be the route we go in the 1st......unless we can make a move for McClain

My sentiments as well. I'd LOVE to see McClain drop within our striking distance. And we are not in any dire need at that position but I feel he'll be a great one. But we differ a bit in if that doesn't happen I hope one of the top 2 CB's are there.

Get us a CB in here that can jam and press the opponents #1 WR at the line and our D improves immensly imo. We can then focus on the other positions as the draft dictates with BPA.

Prok
02-28-2010, 01:54 PM
And those of you thinking that we don't need a shutdown CB because we are a "zone team", I think that's false.

LeBeau just doesn't have that type of player in the arsenal. Get one and then he can be even more creative with the blitz packages. And trust me, i'm not the biggest LeBeau fan.

Chidi29
02-28-2010, 02:09 PM
get your facts straight ike was taken in the 4th round.

We were going to take a Cornerback in the 2007 draft 1st but Revis wont there because of the Jets and for some reason we went with Timmons

how do u know we wont take a defensive back.

I don't see where u keep getting these silly facts like the ike taylor one.

Who cares if it's a zone scheme we haven't had a cornerback consistently to get 3+ interceptions each year. as a result look what happened last year.

And if you haven't noticed the age of Lebeau, he might retire this year when his contract is up. His football career has been fufilled

You're right, Ike was taken in the 4th.

Of course, that only furthers my point that we don't take CBs highly.

You just told me in another thread that "I"m not Mike singletary" and that I wouldn't know what they are going to do. I suppose you're Mike Tomlin then?

A guy like Haden or any other shutdown corner will excel in man. Because we rarely play that with our CBs, they are less valuable to us. You can still find ballhawks in the mid-rounds. Those guys typically are the ones who don't have big 40 times and can't/didn't play a lot of man or press coverage. Heck, those were the scouting reports on Lewis and Burnett. Ballhawks but wouldn't be able to play in a man scheme.

Even though Lebeau will retire soon, doesn't mean that he won't have input on the defense. Besides, Tomlin is a zone guy, working with the Tampa 2 while in Tampa. And I think the Vikings run a lot of zone, too.

Chidi29
02-28-2010, 02:11 PM
And those of you thinking that we don't need a shutdown CB because we are a "zone team", I think that's false.

LeBeau just doesn't have that type of player in the arsenal. Get one and then he can be even more creative with the blitz packages. And trust me, i'm not the biggest LeBeau fan.

And if we really wanted one, we would have drafted one by this point. We haven't taken a CB in the first round since '97.

xbroughneck
02-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Taylor Mays is the next Roy Williams. Big hitter, but can't cover to save his life. I don't want him at all.

So he's a better, bigger and faster Ryan Clark. Why wouldn't you want him again?

solardave
02-28-2010, 02:15 PM
I say we go after a corner, then DL and OL I don't agree that we need a backup to Rashard because we have Redman or even Logan.

Northside Jonny
02-28-2010, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't be surprise to see them draft 3 LB's. 2OLB and 1ILB

supa_fly_steeler
02-28-2010, 02:38 PM
And if we really wanted one, we would have drafted one by this point. We haven't taken a CB in the first round since '97.

we could of taken hall but he was a criminal

Chidi29
02-28-2010, 07:23 PM
we could of taken hall but he was a criminal

Could have, would have, should have....

Point is we didn't. That isn't our MO.

Prok
02-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Could have, would have, should have....

Point is we didn't. That isn't our MO.

Darelle Revis was our guy had the Jets not traded up in front of us to nab him imo. I know, shoulda woulda..

Point is we rarely get the chance to draft early enough to get a Rod Woodson type these days.

supa_fly_steeler
02-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Darelle Revis was our guy had the Jets not traded up in front of us to nab him imo. I know, shoulda woulda..

Point is we rarely get the chance to draft early enough to get a Rod Woodson type these days.

This.

What better way to bring Earl Thomas into Steel Town, embrace him and him lead us to championships.

Northside Jonny
02-28-2010, 08:45 PM
This.

What better way to bring Earl Thomas into Steel Town, embrace him and him lead us to championships.

Because one Safety can win championships all by himself:smoker:

supa_fly_steeler
02-28-2010, 08:52 PM
Because one Safety can win championships all by himself:smoker:

He could be the Polamalu and will be for whichever team in many years.

Polamalu won't be a player much longer i say 5-7 more years at least. That really isn't much the seasons fly by... Ok that is long but lol we never know due to injuries... one more contract by the steelers and that will be his last contract extention

SteelerEmpire
02-28-2010, 08:54 PM
We will have to switch up to a whole different defensive plan... The defense is different that the offense... we will have to switch up to an entirely different plan to compensate... Note that I said "different" plan... not a complicated one...

supa_fly_steeler
02-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Theres not much talk of Earl Thoms going to another team.... but alot of us want Weatherspoon now.

Nobody is talking about Mays :lol:

Chidi29
02-28-2010, 09:00 PM

True, but it's not like it'd be impossible to get one if we really thought we needed one. And to be honest, our recent higher picks at CB haven't been all that great. McFadden wasn't bad but deemed expendable and Coclough was a bust.

Itd be great to have a Darrelle Revis or for Joe Haden to drop to us, sure. But we don't need a shutdown corner because our scheme doesn't require one. The thing I really like about Lebeau is that it's about finding players that fit his scheme and not always about trying to field a team of 11 all-stars.

Steely McSmash
02-28-2010, 09:08 PM
I wouldn't be surprise to see them draft 3 LB's. 2OLB and 1ILB

Could happen. So you'd have Bailey, Frazier and 2 rooks competing for 3 spots most likely.

I think a true FB might be in the cards and 2 safeties could make the roster if Clark moves on.

All in all this makes about 10 places a rookie could make the roster.

chonba
02-28-2010, 09:24 PM
You draft someone for the O-Line. Or, a secondary man who can start. And if its not obviouse what to do with your pick, you take the best rated player at whatever position when your turn comes

kirklandrules
03-01-2010, 12:45 PM
I think a true FB might be in the cards and 2 safeties could make the roster if Clark moves on.

We typically don't draft true FBs, we pick them up off the street as undrafted rookies. But you might be right as the big man did say he wants to run better, so that might dictate how we draft. The article states there is a chance of drafting a FB, but that BA doesn't care much for them. Well, when the boss man says he wants something even BA will learn to do what it takes to make it happen.

Also, others have said they would like to see McClain. Does he provide more speed than Farrior? Weatherspoon might be the better option for what we ask of our bucks.

Finally, we can always use a shutdown corner. Taylor had a great year a few years back and I would say that year he was shut down. When you can assign the opposition's best WR to one corner and prevent him from making an impact, that allows you to take chances on the other side of the field by rolling your coverage to the weak link.