PDA

View Full Version : League could change postseason overtime format

M.C. Smith
02-28-2010, 03:40 PM
League could change postseason overtime format

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- An NFL spokesman says the league could change its overtime format for playoff games at a meeting next month.

Greg Aiello said Saturday that under the new format, both teams would get the ball at least once unless the first team with the ball scores a touchdown. If the first team with the ball makes a field goal and the other team ties the game, action would continue until a team scores again.

Under the current rules, the first team to score wins.

The competition committee will discuss the new concept with teams and players at league meetings March 21-24 in Orlando, Fla., when it could come to a vote. At least two thirds of the teams would need to agree to the changes for new rules to be adopted.

The competition committee met with the players' union and players Thursday during the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. Discussion continued when the competition committee met with a general managers' advisory committee Friday.

The debate about the rule gained steam after the NFC Championship Game, when New Orleans beat Minnesota 31-28 in overtime and Brett Favre's Vikings never got the ball in the extra period. Under the proposed rule, Minnesota would have had another possession because it didn't allow a touchdown.

Overtime was adopted for regular-season games in 1974, and the sudden-death format allowed games to end in a tie if neither team scored in 15 minutes. Overtime for playoff games always has been sudden death.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Link: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816a29f8&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

pete74
02-28-2010, 05:37 PM
they need to change it to regular season games as well but postseason is better then nothing

RoethlisBURGHer
02-28-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't like the idea of changing rules specifically for the postseason. The only change that I agree with in playoffs is that at the end of OT if it's still tied they play another OT, for obvious reasons.

Nadroj 20
02-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Yea the overtime rule should be changed for all games not just post season games and its not a bad idea. It still gives the team that gets the ball first an edge if they can score a touchdown but it takes away the advantage of just getting into field goal range to win the game which i like.

MACH1
02-28-2010, 06:24 PM
"Change it for all games or not at all" - Brett Favre

Vincent
02-28-2010, 07:15 PM
I don't think teams should be allowed to "win". It just damages the self esteem of the other team.

"Its not whether or not you win or lose, its how you play the game." Right?

Why don't they make OT a field goal tournament? Whats that bull@#$% they do in college OT?

Carolina Steelers
02-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Dont like this rule change you play the regular season by diiferent rules, then you change in playoffs. Change it all or nothing. You could get into the playoffs by the old format then lose in playoffs by new format dont make no sense

X-Terminator
02-28-2010, 08:07 PM
I personally like the idea, but it should be for all games, not just the playoffs. Force a team that wins the toss to score a TD to win the game, and if you can only score a FG and the other team scores a TD, well then it sucks to be you.

steelreserve
02-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Boo-hoo Colts.

That's what this is really about. They still can't get over losing to the Chargers two years ago.

Whatever. If the game goes into OT, you've already had several dozen opportunities to make the play that would've won the game for you. If you couldn't put it away in regulation, accept that there's going to be some chance involved and STFU. The point of overtime is to decide the winner between two evenly matched teams, not draw their even-matchedness out even longer.

St33lersguy
02-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Is anyone surprised that this unneccessary idea that makes absolutely no sense is being propsed under Roger Goodell. Any owner who votes for this imbicilic idea is a pinhead, as is the person who proposed this idea

Psyychoward86
02-28-2010, 09:41 PM
baw baw baw

Peyton Manning and Brett Favre never had a chance to hit the field

baw baw bawww

smokin3000gt
02-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Not a bad idea.. Especially if you consider how many yellow flags we see on the field. Kick the ball, 10 yd penalty here, 15 yd there and you're just about in FG range already

SteelersMongol
03-01-2010, 12:31 AM
"Change it for all games or not at all" - Brett Favre

Did he say anything about his retirement though? :chuckle:

Preacher
03-01-2010, 02:13 AM
Personally, I like the idea... but agree that it should be for ALL games.

Or make it real simple. No field goals in OT.

Galax Steeler
03-01-2010, 03:40 AM
I would like the change as well but like everyone else would like to see it for all games.

pepsyman1
03-01-2010, 10:31 AM
I like the overtime format just the way it is. "Waah, waah, waah my team never got the ball in overtime" If your defense isn't capable of a single stand after a kickoff then you don't deserve to win.

fansince'76
03-01-2010, 10:45 AM
I like the overtime format just the way it is. "Waah, waah, waah my team never got the ball in overtime" If your defense isn't capable of a single stand after a kickoff then you don't deserve to win.

Exactly. Or you could just *gasp* win the game in regulation! :jawdrop:

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 12:52 PM

Lol so true.

lionslicer
03-01-2010, 02:42 PM
I think the college Overtime rules should be in the regular season and the sudden death overtime should be in the post season....