PDA

View Full Version : What's the option if Troy goes down to injury...

xbroughneck
02-28-2010, 04:51 PM
...again this season? He has a history of injury so he's probably going to miss at least a few games.

What are the Steelers going to do? The reason the Steelers didn't make the playoffs this season was because of two defensive players being injured. Aaron Smith and Troy.

And of those two, Troy being hurt had the largest impact.

Right now we're looking at Ryan Mundy and Tyrone Carter as viable solutions to losing Troy.

I'm not ok with that.

supa_fly_steeler
02-28-2010, 04:54 PM
There's nothing. That's why we should draft someone like Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor (earl thomas quality starter that can get takeaways) kan chancellor (solid backup)

tony hipchest
02-28-2010, 05:07 PM
i'll wait and see what the draft and free agency yields.

Northside Jonny
02-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Myron Rolle would be able to backup. If nothing is done in free agency , they should be targeting backups for both safety positions.

supa_fly_steeler
02-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Myron Rolle would be able to backup. If nothing is done in free agency , they should be targeting backups for both safety positions.

His stock is rising fast.

I bet he picked in top 5 of the second round.

Northside Jonny
02-28-2010, 06:01 PM
His stock is rising fast.

I bet he picked in top 5 of the second round.

That is exactly why we should move down if Thomas is gone. Take Weatherspoon or Pouncey and hopefully have a higher pick in the 2nd for a guy like Rolle , Chad Jones, or Nate Allen.

supa_fly_steeler
02-28-2010, 06:09 PM
That is exactly why we should move down if Thomas is gone. Take Weatherspoon or Pouncey and hopefully have a higher pick in the 2nd for a guy like Rolle , Chad Jones, or Nate Allen.

I dont want Pouncey him and a few others kick players on the victory formation after SEC's victory formation.

He and those players don't deserve to play in the NFL and should stick to fast food jobs.

Northside Jonny
02-28-2010, 06:11 PM
I dont want Pouncey him and a few others kick players on the victory formation after SEC's victory formation.

He and those players don't deserve to play in the NFL and should stick to fast food jobs.

Ok Mr. Holyer than though

steelreserve
02-28-2010, 06:17 PM
The option is, we're screwed.

Unless we sign or draft someone who's a hell of a lot better than Carter or Mundy, it'll be like last year. And I don't see us getting anyone who's a hell of a lot better, because then we'd basically be paying three starting safeties. We've got our hands full just trying to get Clark back.

I don't know; maybe if we let go of Carter, Townsend becomes the backup safety. I've heard he can do it, but I don't know how well. But him being good is the only potential upgrade I see there unless we draft someone.

Northside Jonny
02-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Sean Jones from Phili is a free agent . He made 1.5 mil last season wich is more than Carters 750K. But Jones would be an upgrade in personell over Carter. Plus Jones is only 27 Carter is 33. Looks like it could be a very smart move to look into.

pete74
02-28-2010, 06:35 PM

hopefully we can land him in the 3rd but his stock is definatly rising

steeltheone
02-28-2010, 07:03 PM
...again this season? He has a history of injury so he's probably going to miss at least a few games.

What are the Steelers going to do? The reason the Steelers didn't make the playoffs this season was because of two defensive players being injured. Aaron Smith and Troy.

And of those two, Troy being hurt had the largest impact.

Right now we're looking at Ryan Mundy and Tyrone Carter as viable solutions to losing Troy.

I'm not ok with that.

If you think we missed the playoffs because of 2 people you are crazy. Troy, hurt us Smith didnt make any difference.

Nadroj 20
02-28-2010, 07:05 PM
If you think we missed the playoffs because of 2 people you are crazy. Troy, hurt us Smith didnt make any difference.

Losing smith most certainly made a difference just like it did when he was hurt a few years ago.....not saying it made all the difference but not having smith hurt.

MACH1
02-28-2010, 07:21 PM

Or sitting at home playing Madden, then going on a football forum to proclaiming how the team should do things cause it works on Madden.

pete74
02-28-2010, 07:34 PM

??????? Pouncey is one of the best centers to come out of college in a long time

Vincent
02-28-2010, 08:09 PM
Snipers.

Chidi29
02-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Sean Jones from Phili is a free agent . He made 1.5 mil last season wich is more than Carters 750K. But Jones would be an upgrade in personell over Carter. Plus Jones is only 27 Carter is 33. Looks like it could be a very smart move to look into.

i remember he had a big season with the Browns a couple years ago. Not sure what the story is with him that has had him bounced around the past two years.

supa_fly_steeler
02-28-2010, 08:24 PM
I don't want a EX Cleveland Brown

Northside Jonny
02-28-2010, 09:29 PM
I don't want a EX Cleveland Brown

Once again you make a dumb comment . Like it or not you have an ex Brown running your Offense! Besides that I'm sure just about any steeler diehard would love to have Josh Cribbs! Have you ever even been to the mistake by the lake!

Prok
02-28-2010, 09:32 PM
i'll wait and see what the draft and free agency yields.

Same here. But imo if our FO truly believes we are a win now team with window of SB opp's we'd better be ready to use the draft AND free agency.

Our secondary has gotten scary bad and i'm not so sure even an Ike Taylor at this point is good enough.

We've got more holes than just an average draft can fill imo.

We need a good RB to platoon with Mendy.

ILB to at least step in and push Farrior.

Safety opposite Troy and adequate backups for BOTH.

Another young stud on the DL to rotate in as we can pretty much assume the worst that injury will thin us out again...

That's just off the top of my head with little posting time. :wink02:

Northside Jonny
02-28-2010, 09:36 PM
I seriously hope they look into Sean Jones FA Safety. Would be a upgrade from Ty Carter.

steeltheone
02-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Plus it takes 2 plus years for us to start a draft pick. That needs to change.

Steely McSmash
02-28-2010, 10:20 PM

I think a FA signing like this or the re-signing (unfortunately he knows the defense) of Carter is in the works if they can't lock down Clark. The FO seems to cover up all glaring holes in advance of the draft with some kind of replacement.

Psyychoward86
02-28-2010, 10:39 PM

right here is what ive been looking at. I think even if we draft a safety, and keep either Carter, Clark, or Townshend, we need something more.

xbroughneck
03-01-2010, 12:24 AM
Admittedly, I am biased living here in Los Angeles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyy_Z3n2no). Two guys from USC leading our defensive secondary in two years would be nice.

And yeah, he had a down year. But he's scary good. Troy could be our Free Safety with Taylor moving to strong. Just a Madden gamer wish though.:tt02:

The last two really good Steeler safeties have both come from Southern California universities. Carnell Lake (UCLA) and now Troy (USC).

Galax Steeler
03-01-2010, 04:30 AM
Admittedly, I am biased living here in Los Angeles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyy_Z3n2no). Two guys from USC leading our defensive secondary in two years would be nice.

And yeah, he had a down year. But he's scary good. Troy could be our Free Safety with Taylor moving to strong. Just a Madden gamer wish though.:tt02:

The last two really good Steeler safeties have both come from Southern California universities. Carnell Lake (UCLA) and now Troy (USC).

Hopefully we will have one coming out of Texas this year and that is Earl Thomas. We need another playmaker back there with Troy.

xbroughneck
03-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Hopefully we will have one coming out of Texas this year and that is Earl Thomas. We need another playmaker back there with Troy.

In two years he would also be a better option than Ryan Clark or anyone else we have on the roster (other than Troy). Obviously there are no guarantees in this league, but both ET and TM have the physical tools. It would remain to be seen whether or not they could grasp the Steeler system.

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 10:10 AM

That.

I don't know about others.

Id rather see a ballhawker who can change the game and have alot of takeaways rather than mays who once in a while wows everyone with taking someone out.

We really need someone that can actually on a consistent level have takeaways.... we cant rely on troy every season. Yes he's a God but he can only do so much on one half of the field.

the other have can be fielded by well you know who lol

pete74
03-01-2010, 10:13 AM
earl thomas will never be a troy in my mind. his tackeling ability isnt very good and he can easily get burnt by big recivers, just ask crabtree. i was not a fan of mays whatsoever but he is growing on me and if were certain he can be a saftey in the nfl instead of a LB then i would much rather have him over thomas. thomas may be decent in pass protection but i dont see his takeling getting better at his weight

43Hitman
03-01-2010, 10:35 AM
We really need someone that can actually on a consistent level have takeaways.... we cant rely on troy every season. Yes he's a God but he can only do so much on one half of the field.

Great player, yes. Future HOF'er, probably. God...umm no. Even Troy would argue that with you. He is nothing more than a man just like the rest of us.

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 10:54 AM
earl thomas will never be a troy in my mind. his tackeling ability isnt very good and he can easily get burnt by big recivers, just ask crabtree. i was not a fan of mays whatsoever but he is growing on me and if were certain he can be a saftey in the nfl instead of a LB then i would much rather have him over thomas. thomas may be decent in pass protection but i dont see his takeling getting better at his weight

please dont speak about mays. go ahead and want to draft him then u will cry about how we are all getting burned again.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-01-2010, 10:55 AM

Totally agree...I hope that Thomas is there at #18...and I hope that we resign Clark...Thomas could possibly push Gay into the nickel CB role, AND would be a competant fill-in at either safety position if soemone goes down to injury.

If we dont sign Ryan he would be an immediate starter at safety.

GameTime55
03-01-2010, 11:09 AM
I dont even know where to start.

The need for help there is tremendous and immediate.
I agree with someone saying something about even IKe not being all that.

The off line isnt something that cant go missed either though.
I still think it needs to be addressed but perhps in 2nd round.

As for Myron ..I know he is climbing but I also know or oops..have heard through news(sirius nfl radio) to be exact that some teams wonder about myron and his commitment.

He has made it known that his other aspiration in life is to be a neuro surgeon. For him to be successful in either endeavor he would have to unconditionally be dedicated to one or the other. And that is what has some GM's a bit wondersome about the young man.

Id also like to hope Kam C. R. JOnes and M. Wright are ther in the 2nd.

As for our Stud Troy..just got to believe he can stay healty..somehow.
If he is going to be hurt all the time I know we all know what might happen.

Steeldude
03-01-2010, 12:46 PM
an option would be for lebeau not to soften the defense so much.

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 01:01 PM
I think Myron Rolle is selected by the Saints 32nd

He's the perfect role model these days. Not only caring about his sports but also excelling in Academics. Most Afro Americans want to be the Lil Wayne and go shooting around everywhere. White people in my country try to dress up like lil wayne and the go knifing around london innocent people.

Myron's a great player and a even better role model. I'll sure root for him whereever he goes.

(btw i dont mean offense by typing afro americans white people do it as well)

pete74
03-01-2010, 02:12 PM
please dont speak about mays. go ahead and want to draft him then u will cry about how we are all getting burned again.

who is crying about getting burned?

43Hitman
03-01-2010, 02:18 PM

He's the perfect role model these days. Not only caring about his sports but also excelling in Academics. Most Afro Americans want to be the Lil Wayne and go shooting around everywhere. White people in my country try to dress up like lil wayne and the go knifing around london innocent people.

Myron's a great player and a even better role model. I'll sure root for him whereever he goes.

I'm not even black and I find this offensive. Why such broad strokes of the brush? Afro Americans? Really?

Nadroj 20
03-01-2010, 02:29 PM

One of the worse stereotypes ive heard. Not cool, think before you type :banging:

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm not even black and I find this offensive. Why such broad strokes of the brush? Afro Americans? Really?

Im sorry if it caused offense i also said white people do it as well... if i just said black people then maybe people people would of thought i was real racist.... Did not mean to make it that way at all.

maybe i should of said the misfortunate backgrounds they come from and his willingness to change that to fortune.

my point is myron rolle is a great model

And i think most people know i didn't mean to make it racist.

Northside Jonny
03-01-2010, 03:37 PM

Wow! Please insert foot in mouth.

xbroughneck
03-01-2010, 04:39 PM

WTF?
:coffee:

Prok
03-01-2010, 04:41 PM
an option would be for lebeau not to soften the defense so much.

Haha !!

Get a couple great athletes in the secondary (WHO CAN COVER) to go with Troy then turn the front 7 loose and we instantly go back to dominating D.

Attacking style > Reactionary sitting back in zone

:tt02:

Prok
03-01-2010, 04:45 PM
** ^^

** Above message intended to re-direct the thread in a non-racial direction...

:drink:

:wink02:

Northside Jonny
03-01-2010, 04:46 PM

This really pisses me off considering you are not an AMERICAN!

Psyychoward86
03-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Guys, we've been thin at safety for a long, long time. As for Mays, i really dont like him as a 1st round pick. To me he's just a physical specimen with little football intelligence. A mini-Igor if you will. But i guess depending on his work ethic, he could be considered in later rounds, even though he has "RAIDERS 1st ROUND PICK" written all over him.

Nadroj 20
03-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Im sorry if it caused offense i also said white people do it as well... if i just said black people then maybe people people would of thought i was real racist.... Did not mean to make it that way at all.

maybe i should of said the misfortunate backgrounds they come from and his willingness to change that to fortune.

my point is myron rolle is a great model

And i think most people know i didn't mean to make it racist.

I think your wrong on that, so far everyone has taken it the same way no matter your intentions.....just please be careful with what you say thats all I ask.

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 08:17 PM
I think your wrong on that, so far everyone has taken it the same way no matter your intentions.....just please be careful with what you say thats all I ask.

Ok i will respect what you want and i will be careful to what i write next time.

Nadroj 20
03-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Ok i will respect what you want and i will be careful to what i write next time.

Thank you :thumbsup:

NJarhead
03-01-2010, 08:46 PM
What's the option if Troy goes down to injury...

Bah! That'll never happen. :chuckle:

Not sure what the Steelers will do, but I'll probably cry like a little girl if it happens again.

Prok
03-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Bah! That'll never happen. :chuckle:

Not sure what the Steelers will do, but I'll probably cry like a little girl if it happens again.

Ha I was leaning towards curling up in the fetal position and screaming for my binkie.

:hatsoff::hatsoff:

GameTime55
03-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Anyone got dibs on how he actually has progressed since the season .Did he undergo any type of surgery for that knee/

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Anyone got dibs on how he actually has progressed since the season .Did he undergo any type of surgery for that knee/

he wont be needing surgery... will fully heal