PDA

View Full Version : What did Mendenhall do best this season?

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 01:20 PM
I liked his rushing, but something Willie couldn't do was block.

This is money

WthAF-vU7V0

1st Touchdown as a Steeler

"Welcome to Steeler Nation"-Chris Collingsworth

E4VaaMar8i4

Northside Jonny
03-01-2010, 01:22 PM
OUT PLAYED WILLIE PARKER AND EARNED HIS SPOT AS THE STARTER!

Sharkissle29
03-01-2010, 01:28 PM
I just love the way this guy hits a hole

kirklandrules
03-01-2010, 01:52 PM
I just love the way this guy hits a hole

Yes, he attacks that line of scrimmage. I was going to be an ass and say "His spin move", but I really do think Mendy is a great back in the making.

Watching that video of the crushing block does make me think he needs to keep his head up. Ultimately, that play was a sack and it happened because a defender went right up the gut where Mendy had thrown his block. He should have looked up and made the extra block instead of swinging to the flat. But that might be something BA or his RB coach failed to teach him.

Steelers>NFL
03-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Hit the hole and break tackles. In the first half of the season, he lead the NFL in breaking would-be tackle.
Not sure what he ended up with. But he does not go down very easy.

kirklandrules
03-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Oh, and watching that second video of the touchdown run makes me think of how much I loved seeing Legursky running FB. That was near the beginning of the season and that was the last time we saw him play that spot. WTF? The guy did a great job identifying the hole and picking up his assigned player ... ensuring the easy TD. I could have stood to see big Legursky in that FB spot on short yardage plays a little more often this year.

pete74
03-01-2010, 02:06 PM
he did look good and hopefully he will be a great starter for years but im still upset we passed on chris johnson for him

tony hipchest
03-01-2010, 02:19 PM
he did look good and hopefully he will be a great starter for years but im still upset we passed on chris johnson for himdidnt johnson have the same unknowns as chris henry (the speedster RB the titans reached for a few years earlier)?

i would like to think mendenhall was the safe and logical pick. the steelers were in no position to gamble and won the superbowl.

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 02:23 PM
didnt johnson have the same unknowns as chris henry (the speedster RB the titans reached for a few years earlier)?

i would like to think mendenhall was the safe and logical pick. the steelers were in no position to gamble and won the superbowl.

Chris wasn't really known until he ran the combine.

He isn't really a team player though if you know what i mean. If it was his 2000 yards on the line or a playoff i bet discreatley he would go for 2000.

pete74
03-01-2010, 02:48 PM
like alot of players johnson's stock shot up after the combine. i belive tenn picked him the following pick after we took mendenhall. as for johnson not being a team player, he bought all his offensive line new cars this year for helping him do so well and reach the 2,000 yard mark. he seems like a stuck up prick to me with his stupied looking grill but there is no denying he is one of the best rb's

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 02:52 PM
like alot of players johnson's stock shot up after the combine. i belive tenn picked him the following pick after we took mendenhall. as for johnson not being a team player, he bought all his offensive line new cars this year for helping him do so well and reach the 2,000 yard mark. he seems like a stuck up prick to me with his stupied looking grill but there is no denying he is one of the best rb's

lol it was rings.

pete74
03-01-2010, 02:54 PM
lol it was rings.

what was rings?

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 02:57 PM
what was rings?

the supposed car. he said on nfl network it got twisted.

he got them rings with the name cj2k engraved in them

pete74
03-01-2010, 03:00 PM
what a prick. last year he got them 55'' flat screens for helping get him to the 1,200 mark. wow i cant belive he didnt buy them the cars. i heard him say the story got twisted and the offensive said they would get cars since they got the tv's the year before but i thought he would follow thru because 2000 is a remarkable task that dosnt happen often

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 03:04 PM
what a prick. last year he got them 55'' flat screens for helping get him to the 1,200 mark. wow i cant belive he didnt buy them the cars. i heard him say the story got twisted and the offensive said they would get cars since they got the tv's the year before but i thought he would follow thru because 2000 is a remarkable task that dosnt happen often

if he had to buy them nice cars i doubt he has the funds for them yet.

he has a contract for $12million.

I guess he's spent 3 of it already on new houses clothes cars ect... and have at least 3 left.

and with the rings thats probably why he wants such a big wage lol so he can buy more rings

pete74
03-01-2010, 03:06 PM
yea he is only supposed to make something like $750,000 next year. he definatly deserves a raise but i would never make him the highest paid rb like he wants. he did great his 1st 2 years but you have to go a little more then 2 years to make steven jackson money

Northside Jonny
03-01-2010, 03:31 PM
yea he is only supposed to make something like $750,000 next year. he definatly deserves a raise but i would never make him the highest paid rb like he wants. he did great his 1st 2 years but you have to go a little more then 2 years to make steven jackson money

I always kind of wondered what kind of guy Johnson was.

Sharkissle29
03-01-2010, 03:50 PM
the supposed car. he said on nfl network it got twisted.

he got them rings with the name cj2k engraved in them

had to say cj2k on it huh? way too full of himself for my liking

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 04:02 PM
had to say cj2k on it huh? way too full of himself for my liking

yah engraved on the diamond. lmao

Northside Jonny
03-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Chris Johnson sounds like another TO in the making. What a jerk, I hope one of those Olineman misses a block and he gets crushed and goes down for the year.

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Chris Johnson sounds like another TO in the making. What a jerk, I hope one of those Olineman misses a block and he gets crushed and goes down for the year.

That's a bit harsh to say. He isn't a T.O. to wouldnt buy rings he woulde mand the money. C.J. said he hopes for a new contract but isnt bothered by it.

Northside Jonny
03-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Well if he keeps down the same path he will be the next TO . Just sayin

pete74
03-01-2010, 04:23 PM
johnson may be a little stuck up but he is definatly a team player and one hell of a running back that i would love to be playing for us

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 04:32 PM
johnson may be a little stuck up but he is definatly a team player and one hell of a running back that i would love to be playing for us

We had the chance... Were stuck with rushard now for the better part of 8 years lol. Let's get use to it.

I use to be a mendenhall hater but the charger game changed as soon as i saw that blocked i rooted for him.

JEFF4i
03-01-2010, 04:47 PM
A) Waste of a page on CJ, lol.

B) I'm glad we took Mendy, hindsight is 20/20. Parker was still running pretty well when we looked, imo. CJ was known to be faster than Mendy, but a young power back is something we didn't really have.

C) What do I think Mendy does best? Nothing, which is what he does best. Rashard isn't pure power like some backs, or pure finesse, or pure burst speed. He just has enough of all 3 to make him a very deadly back on any down. Goal-line pushes he can do, but also break off a 20+ every so often by pushing up the gut. I really like this guy.

Cinnjerm
03-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Ok, so if no one else is going to mention this, is nobody going to say anything about the number of carries this guy had compared to Mendy. True, he had 2000 yards and that's a number you don't come across very, but the reason being is because most teams don't give just one back that many opportunities to pass the 2000 mark. Put another way, do you really think CJ would have got anywhere near 2000 if he, like Mendy, didn't start for the first three-four games. I seriously doubt it. He's good, but I'm thinking by the end of next year no one on this board will be concerned with whether we made the right decision or not. The evidence will be self-evident.

JEFF4i
03-01-2010, 05:07 PM
I think we'll end up being happy with Mendy no matter how well CJ does, and yes he got a lot of touches in 09, but he still maintained a 5.6 avg.

pete74
03-01-2010, 05:37 PM
yea that 5.6 average is incredible, especially when just about every team stacked the box

Galax Steeler
03-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Ok, so if no one else is going to mention this, is nobody going to say anything about the number of carries this guy had compared to Mendy. True, he had 2000 yards and that's a number you don't come across very, but the reason being is because most teams don't give just one back that many opportunities to pass the 2000 mark. Put another way, do you really think CJ would have got anywhere near 2000 if he, like Mendy, didn't start for the first three-four games. I seriously doubt it. He's good, but I'm thinking by the end of next year no one on this board will be concerned with whether we made the right decision or not. The evidence will be self-evident.

One thing about it if he keeps getting the carries he has been getting the miles will soon catch up with him pretty quick. Not to mention he stands a good chance of getting a pretty bad injury with all of the carries.

steelerdude15
03-03-2010, 11:02 PM
1,108 yards rushing with seven touchdowns is pretty good. I'd like to see him get at least ten rushing TDs in the 2010 season.

Psyychoward86
03-03-2010, 11:08 PM
It's also good to note that Rashard was a year or two younger coming into the league. He wont peak in a long time (a good thing imo, because of what great things he's doing at a ripe age)

devilsdancefloor
03-03-2010, 11:28 PM
well he caught some nice dump offs for big chunks, but get rid of the spin he misses the creases by spinning to much.

Galax Steeler
03-04-2010, 04:29 AM
well he caught some nice dump offs for big chunks, but get rid of the spin he misses the creases by spinning to much.

At the end of the season last year I did not notice the spin move to much. I think it was the Dolphins game I did not see him do it one time hopefully they were working with him on this and he won't be doing it no more.

O Sensei
03-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Simply put, the young man displayed the potential many of us saw in him leading up to last season. I think many in steeler nation let out a huge collective sigh by at least week 6 or 7 as if to say...ohhhh kay...THERE he is, we're gonna be good. When I watch him I see a more nimble terrell davis, a fleet of foot back loaded with enough speed, enough power and the VISION that willie parker clearly lacks to potentially be great...potential to be better...than chris johnson IMO. Time will tell.

Sharkissle29
03-04-2010, 12:28 PM
I'll make a bold prediction here and say Mendy will be a better pick than CJ in the long run....

JEFF4i
03-04-2010, 03:22 PM
In the long run? I agree, I was shocked when I found out that the throwback jersey of one of my favorite Steelers is of a player younger than me!

Seriously, this kid is 22. And I can say kid, crikey!

supa_fly_steeler
03-04-2010, 04:02 PM
I'll make a bold prediction here and say Mendy will be a better pick than CJ in the long run....

lolz. A very bold pick.

I don't think so the Chris Johnson is an automatic beast. He's the fastest player in worldwide sports except athletics he gonna keep having those 2k seasons

pete74
03-04-2010, 04:46 PM
yea i dont think mendy will ever accomplish this things CJ will in his carear. cj's 1st season was better then mend's 2nd and cj's 2nd season was untouchable. i think mendenhall will be a good back but i doubt he will ever be a chris johnson

Sharkissle29
03-04-2010, 07:29 PM
lolz. A very bold pick.

I don't think so the Chris Johnson is an automatic beast. He's the fastest player in worldwide sports except athletics he gonna keep having those 2k seasons

Give CJ another 5 years in the NFL and see what it does to his body,

xXTheSteelKingsXx
03-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Give CJ another 5 years in the NFL and see what it does to his body,

He might start breaking down sooner than that. He is similar in size to Parker and Willie started breaking down after just three seasons a full time starter. Plus Johnson had nearly 360 carries last season and an additional 50 catches. Thats a lot of touches.