PDA

View Full Version : S Clark, Steelers still have work to do

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 06:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4957569

The clock is ticking on the contract negotiations between the Pittsburgh Steelers and starting safety Ryan Clark.

But despite both sides trying to reach a middle ground, talks have been challenging as the free-agent deadline approaches Friday.

AFC North blog

Walker ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

Blog network: NFL Nation

"I thought it would be a piece of cake," Clark's agent Joel Turner said. "All things now considered, it's hard to feel that way."

Last month the Steelers highlighted Clark, nose tackle Casey Hampton and kicker Jeff Reed as their target unrestricted free agents. So far the team has extended Hampton for three years and gave Reed the franchise tag, with the intention of working out a long-term deal before the start of the 2010 season.

But as of Monday evening, Clark has nothing in place that will prevent him from hitting the open market by the end of the week. He would become one of the biggest veteran names available in what is an already thin crop of unrestricted free agents.

Clark has been an integral part of Pittsburgh's defense for four seasons and set new career highs for tackles (89) and starts (15) in 2009. He also tied a career high with three interceptions.

"It's not a situation with us where we've ever made any demands of any type that would be outrageous," Turner said. "We wouldn't ask for anything that would be considered greedy. We've not done anything that would be pretentious. We just want to be paid a fair wage for services not only rendered, but still to be."

In an interview with ESPN radio 1250 in Pittsburgh Monday, Clark reiterated Turner's statements.

"I wouldn't do that," Clark said of making high demands. "I know how much [Steelers safety] Troy [Polamalu] makes, and I know how much respect I have for Troy as a player and how much I love him as a friend. I don't see myself as Troy. I don't see myself having to get that same type of pay ... I would be a fool to do that."

The good news is both sides continue to have an open dialogue. But it appears these negotiation might go down to the wire this week.

"With 48 hours pretty much to go, there's plenty of time to sit down, which we have and we will continue to do again," Turner said.

I don't get it his agent is asking for top 10 money but clark says he isn't wtf??????????

Is his agent going behind his back or something lol his agent sounds dodgy imo

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Well Ryan it was a pleasure watching you as a Steeler. I'm glad you won a ring looks like your time is up

:( I salute you for those youtube hits

OneForTheToe
03-01-2010, 08:39 PM
The amount of money being asked for or offered is never the complete story . The hangup is probably about guaranteed money, the signing bonus, or length of contract. The fact that 2011 may not happen might have Clark wanting a front loaded contract with more guaranteed money up front. Of course, the opposite is probably true for the Steelers. Hopefully, it gets done. If not, we will miss Clark, but will survive.

TheWarDen86
03-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Well Ryan it was a pleasure watching you as a Steeler. I'm glad you won a ring looks like your time is up

:( I salute you for those youtube hits

Hey now, I don't hear no fat lady singin'! :wink02:

TheWarDen86
03-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Now I am wondering what to say to him Friday night from across the dinner table.. Ugh!!

Any suggestions?

P.S. This is not a joke..

You can say that you were talking to a fellow Steelers fan named TheWarden86 on Monday night and I said "Hi!" :wave: Then you can tell him that his hit on Wes Welker was the type of thing that makes football great.

Stuff like that.

GBMelBlount
03-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Now I am wondering what to say to him Friday night from across the dinner table.. Ugh!!

Any suggestions?

How about "Are you gonna finish that steak yourself?" :noidea:

GBMelBlount
03-01-2010, 09:22 PM
What if he has fish? lol

Well, then I would suggest you recommend chef Mesa's Mahi Mahi Ratatouille Style. :thumbsup:

For some reason I picture Clark as a "steak and potato guy." :chuckle:

I hope it's a nice dinner.

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 09:57 PM
You can say that you were talking to a fellow Steelers fan named TheWarden86 on Monday night and I said "Hi!" :wave: Then you can tell him that his hit on Wes Welker was the type of thing that makes football great.

Stuff like that.

i second that, lets hope the fat lady aint sung yet.

Any suggestions?

Tell him to get a new agent that can get a deal done seriously lol.

thank him from me. i wait up all morning to watch him play (until 5am) and its been and honor for me to see what he has done to thoes guys.

plus if he ever comes back as a steeler hopefully then tell him.

please lay out chad johnson

Psyychoward86
03-01-2010, 10:27 PM

Any suggestions?

Tell him he cant possibly resist the temptation of pancaking ochocinco twice a year :chuckle:

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Awwww.. Chad isn't that bad.. He has heart..

I don't know anymore if he will come with his wife to dinner now if this goes South by Friday. I get back from Vegas at 6AM and willn't be able to sleep all day. I hope all will go as planned.

If you want you can call and check to see if he is coming for sure. Maybe he will talk to one or two people.

wirels3@yahoo.com

chad has no heart he is vermin on the football field...

His agent said no deal will be reached this week WTF the agent is silly guy he must want Clark to leave or something get the big contract so the agent gets good reps

JPbucco
03-01-2010, 11:24 PM

Any suggestions?

How about the usual...."Are you ready for your check Sir?".

Galax Steeler
03-02-2010, 03:39 AM
Tell him he cant possibly resist the temptation of pancaking ochocinco twice a year :chuckle:

That would be a good question and he might get the chance to jack T O aw well twice a year if he signs with the Ravens.

kirklandrules
03-02-2010, 09:31 AM
His agent is working against him. Clark wants to be a Steeler, but his agent doesn't want to put together a home town discounted deal. He knows someone will pay Clark more than the Steelers will offer. Unfortunately, this is what happens when the athlete does not get involved in the deal ... he goes to a dump like Cleveland. I like Clark, but he's close to leaving an organization unlike all others. Hope it's worth paying your agent a little more money. If that happens, we can all just remember the days when Ryan Clark "LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR.".

truesteelerfan
03-02-2010, 10:32 AM
His agents comment bothers me....."We've not done anything that would be pretentious. We just want to be paid a fair wage for services not only rendered, but still to be."

He's already been paid for his services rendered....He agreed to the last contract he signed with us....New contracts IMO are based upon potential of the level of service over the life of the new contract. Ryan's not going to get any better in his own personal skills. We need to negotiate based on how we perceive and feel his performance will be in the future....Not based on what he has done in the past....Not very many players improve once they reach 30 do they?

pete74
03-02-2010, 10:35 AM
His agents comment bothers me....."We've not done anything that would be pretentious. We just want to be paid a fair wage for services not only rendered, but still to be."

He's already been paid for his services rendered....He agreed to the last contract he signed with us....New contracts IMO are based upon potential of the level of service over the life of the new contract. Ryan's not going to get any better in his own personal skills. We need to negotiate based on how we perceive and feel his performance will be in the future....Not based on what he has done in the past....Not very many players improve once they reach 30 do they?

i agree 100%.

TheWarDen86
03-02-2010, 10:50 AM

i agree 100%.

Me too.

I heard him on the radio last night talking about how NFL teams ultimately show love and respect through $$ and I was kinda turned off by it.