PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Problems

supa_fly_steeler
03-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Ok these days i can rarely get to sleep.

4.37am it is now i tried go sleep but couldn't...

I always stay up and watch the NFL, and other college games or sport games until at least 3-6am each week night but for awhile i have not been doing it...

... now i try go sleep and i can't i think it's a result of doing this for over 7 months.... :( i keep watching steelers until 5am if i have to..

WTF

Any help please, like anything that helps u go sleep drink wise (i dont want no drugs) ect ect

Borski
03-01-2010, 11:32 PM
I have the same problem, though not always as bad, usually I don't get tired til 2 am, and even when I am tired I can't fall asleep right away. Sometimes if I don't get enough sleep or am under a lot of stress I get what is apparently called "sleep paralysis" best thing that works for me is to try and eliminate distractions from your room (keep your Computer and TV out of your bedroom)

I did this when I was in college up in PA and it helped alot, but when I transferred back home to a local college I had had to put all my things back in my bedroom and all the distractions are back again.

SteelCityMom
03-02-2010, 12:21 AM
I too have trouble sleeping and honestly the only thing that has ever helped me was taking sleeping pills. I don't like to though because they make me feel like crap in the morning and irritate my heartburn.

Drinking milk and watching my favorite episodes of MST3K or watching my favorite games sometimes helps...something about them just make me drift off to sleep easily at times. Drinking alcohol is the worst for me...it's almost as bad as caffeine if I drink before bed time. It doesn't make me tired and just makes me have to pee every 10 minutes lol. I've also tried not sleeping without the TV on or music playing, and that makes it worse as I sleep next to a snorer. I've tried earplugs for that as well and that almost bothers me worse because you can hear your heartbeat and the earplugs rustle when you move.

It's quite annoying....I don't sleep long most of the time either, even when I'm given a chance to sleep in. I'm usually up by 7 am no matter what (if I do fall asleep). Best thing I can recommend is if you can't fall asleep, get up and leave the room and go sit and read a book/magazine until you get sleepy again and then try to lay down and clear your mind. If you don't fall asleep within 20 minutes, try that again. This is the best advice I got from my doctor outside of taking medication.

SteelCityMom
03-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Other advice I've been given (and it does help some), is exercise (if you don't already), no caffeine after 5pm, don't drink after 7 or 8 (if you drink), cut down on sugary foods and junk foods and don't eat them late at night, and try to do something that relaxes you before bedtime...get into a routine. It might never be perfect, but sometimes an extra hour or two means a great deal lol.

Galax Steeler
03-02-2010, 04:01 AM
I have a problem where I can't sleep past 4 am of the mornings. Seems like my eyes just pop wide open at that time.

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 06:00 AM
I'm not a doctor, but from reading your posts around here and your obvious insomnia, sounds to me like you may have some anxiety going on. I've had anxiety since my second radiation course in 2002 and take Ativan for it. However, since you don't want to deal with medication, you might try an over-the-counter herbal remedy called Valerian Root which works like a charm. Take 2 capsules about 30-45 minutes before bed. There are no side effects or that "groggy feeling" in the morning.

Hope this helps. :drink:

Texasteel
03-02-2010, 06:27 AM
I have a problem where I can't sleep past 4 am of the mornings. Seems like my eyes just pop wide open at that time.

I'm the same way. I hardly ever sleep past 4:30 am.

BigBen'sSwagger
03-02-2010, 06:54 AM
I know what you have it's STEELERSFEVER!!! You are addicted and not sure if there is a cure.

I am right there with Galax and Texassteel no probelms going to sleep just can't stay asleep.

supa_fly_steeler
03-02-2010, 07:32 AM
I know what you have it's STEELERSFEVER!!! You are addicted and not sure if there is a cure.

lol.

HometownGal

I don't think i have anxiety i had it checked ages ago (sleeping problem) and it was just dna i guess.... but it use to not be able to sleep till 2am.... it doesnt help when some people outisde slam their houses and scream and dispute how bad there marriage is it keep me away every night :mad: and i need total darkness in my room to fall asleep.

yea

SteelCityMom

I always drink the monster enegery drinks but never after about 7pm there to delicious to last that long.... i like to watch movies or listen to music going to sleep it helps but recently it just become so much annoyance. :banging: http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs6/i/2005/115/7/e/__Jump_Off_a_Cliff___Emoticon_by_neek_zique.gif http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh178/daftmahatma/suicide.gif

I never knew some other people would have it as well.

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 07:38 AM
I don't think i have anxiety i had it checked ages ago (sleeping problem) and it was just dna i guess.... but it use to not be able to sleep till 2am.... it doesnt help when some people outisde slam their houses and scream and dispute how bad there marriage is it keep me away every night :mad: and i need total darkness in my room to fall asleep.

You may have had the anxiety issue checked "ages ago" but you're a few years older now and may want to have a doc check you once again. Imho - you have quite a few of the classic symptoms. You could also be suffering from some depression. Anxiety and depression aren't "mental illnesses" but simply systemic disorders caused by imbalance of certain chemicals in the brain.

It couldn't hurt trying the Valerian Root - you can get it relatively cheap at just about any drug store or whatever you call 'em over there in merry ole' England. :wink:

I also agree with SCM above with regard to drinking some warm milk before bedtime. It is very soothing, as is chamomile tea.

Here's to some better sleep ahead! :drink: :hope:

supa_fly_steeler
03-02-2010, 08:05 AM
You may have had the anxiety issue checked "ages ago" but you're a few years older now and may want to have a doc check you once again. Imho - you have quite a few of the classic symptoms. You could also be suffering from some depression. Anxiety and depression aren't "mental illnesses" but simply systemic disorders caused by imbalance of certain chemicals in the brain.

It couldn't hurt trying the Valerian Root - you can get it relatively cheap at just about any drug store or whatever you call 'em over there in merry ole' England. :wink:

I also agree with SCM above with regard to drinking some warm milk before bedtime. It is very soothing, as is chamomile tea.

Here's to some better sleep ahead! :drink: :hope:

I'll drink some milk before bedtime and see how it goes with a schedule.

I'm sure as hell im not suffering from anxiety and depression maybe it was the super bowl hangover :toofunny:

stlrtruck
03-02-2010, 08:39 AM
If you're not working out, try a new workout or doing some cardio. That might help your body get some needed sleep. I know when I started working out, I slept longer and harder than I did before I was working out. Even now, almost a year later when I changed my routines, I sleep better.

43Hitman
03-02-2010, 08:56 AM
A good 3 rounds of love making always helps me sleep. Maybe y'all should try that.

Did I cross the line? Probably, but it's true. :flap:

devilsdancefloor
03-02-2010, 11:37 AM
try Melatonin

Indo
03-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Benadryl will work. One of its side effects is drowsiness. Take 25mg (one tablet) about an hour before you plan to go to sleep.

SteelCityMom
03-02-2010, 11:58 AM
try Melatonin

Melatonin might work for some, it makes my hands and legs tingle though...as do other over the counter sleep aids. I'm not sure why, it's almost like RLS. It does make me very sleepy though, I just have trouble getting comfortable.

I'd like to try the Velarian (sp?) root that HTG mentioned though. Have never given that one a shot.

Preacher
03-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Try resetting your sleep cycle.

If you're young enough, stay up all night, AND the next day. Then go to bed that night about 8 or 9 PM, and set your alarm to wake you up about 7 the next morning. When it goes off, GET UP. Lay off the energy drinks after about 4 PM, and no coffee, pepsi, etc. etc. either. Nothing with caffeine. Then, the next night, go to bed at a proper time.. 11? 12? 1? And set your alarm to wake you up 8 hours later. Stay in that pattern. Even if you can't fall asleep, GET UP when your alarm goes off. Your body will get tired enough it will fall asleep when you lay down.

AND NO NAPS!

Venom
03-02-2010, 03:26 PM
A few years ago , I had the same problem . I was always waking up in the middle of the night at the same time . I think it was because of being overworked . But there is a funny side to the story , I would always wake up at the same time every morning-2:37am !!! I don't know why that time . I had to be up at 5:00am for work . I would wake up , walk to the fridge and drink some water , then look to my left at the microwave and it would have on the LCD " 2:37am ". This would happen to me for weeks until I tried something . One night I woke up and walked to the bathroom first . Stayed there for a few minutes then walked to the fridge for some water . Took a slow look to the microwave and what did it say , you got it , 2:37am !! Even with me killing time in the bathroom , I still reached the fridge at 2:37am. ! I thought the microwave was busted and always stayed at that time, but nope , it did change while I was standing there to 2:38am. My late night waking up stopped when I started giving my wife the best 2 minutes of sex she ever had right before bed--- and I slept like a baby . :thumbsup:

MACH1
03-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Try some monkey spanking. :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
03-02-2010, 05:21 PM
A good 3 rounds of love making always helps me sleep. Maybe y'all should try that.

Did I cross the line? Probably, but it's true. :flap:

I take it you probably don't have no kids at home. It is hard to find time to do it once let alone three times.:chuckle:

43Hitman
03-02-2010, 05:32 PM
I take it you probably don't have no kids at home. It is hard to find time to do it once let alone three times.:chuckle:

We have one. We just ship him off to his grandparents for date nights. Oh and 15 minutes really isn't that long. :chuckle:

supa_fly_steeler
03-02-2010, 05:38 PM

Tell your kids to wear earmuffs to avoid ear infections at night. Put the t.v. load or music and then light the candles lol

Galax Steeler
03-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Tell your kids to wear earmuffs to avoid ear infections at night. Put the t.v. load or music and then light the candles lol

We try to stay up longer then him but he always seems to out do us and we fall asleep before he does.

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Melatonin might work for some, it makes my hands and legs tingle though...as do other over the counter sleep aids. I'm not sure why, it's almost like RLS. It does make me very sleepy though, I just have trouble getting comfortable.

I'd like to try the Velarian (sp?) root that HTG mentioned though. Have never given that one a shot.

Here's some info in the Valerian, SCM. :drink:

http://www.1001herbs.com/valerian/

supa_fly_steeler
03-02-2010, 07:04 PM
We try to stay up longer then him but he always seems to out do us and we fall asleep before he does.

Try get him to sleep over at a friends :P

Shea
03-04-2010, 10:54 PM
I've also have had major problems with sleeping. It's frustrating to say the least.

I'm going to take into account other's advice here and try it out for myself in the future.

But what I've personally have found to be helpfull - well sometimes - is a LONG soak in a very hot (as hot as you can stand) bath. It's relaxing and often leads to becoming a bit sleepy which can lead to falling straight to sleep afterwards when you hit the bed.

MattsMe
03-05-2010, 11:48 PM
I drink.

SteelerNation12
03-05-2010, 11:50 PM
nyquil works pretty good.

tony hipchest
03-06-2010, 12:47 AM
I drink.

:chuckle:

supafly- since you dont wanna resort to drugs i would suggest smoking some cannabis.

GBMelBlount
03-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Try some monkey spanking. :chuckle:

That's disgusting.

Do something productive like painting the ceiling...white.

GBMelBlount
03-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Shea

I just simply talk to myself...which often leads me to becoming a bit sleepy which can lead to falling straight to sleep..

That's really cool Shea...

In fact when I have a hard time sleeping I just read your posts and it knocks me right out too. :thumbsup:

supa_fly_steeler
03-06-2010, 02:41 PM

supafly- since you dont wanna resort to drugs i would suggest smoking some cannabis.