PDA

View Full Version : no tender for stapleton

pete74
03-02-2010, 03:21 AM
http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=950261&nid=4314031&fhn=1

PIT: Guard Won't be Tendered
by Adam Caplan of ScoutNFLNetwork.com, March 1, 2010 at 8:11pm ET

Darnell Stapleton Profile

The Pittsburgh Steelers won't be making a restricted free agent tender offer to G Darnell Stapleton, a league source told Scout.com.

The 24-year old offensive lineman was signed Pittsburgh as an undrafted free agent in 2007. He started 12 games the next season, but missed all of 2009 due to a knee injury.

Because of his age, Stapleton could receive a decent amount of interest in free agency, but it remains to be seen at what level--starter or backup.

Galax Steeler
03-02-2010, 03:31 AM
I don't think he will be missed that much he got payed to ride the pine last year.

pete74
03-02-2010, 04:40 AM
agreed. i belive he is something like 265lbs and i would much perfer 300+ offensive lineman

HometownGal
03-02-2010, 06:17 AM
No real surprise here.

kirklandrules
03-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Seems he was a project for the Steelers and the new blood that filled in during his injury took the attention. He wasn't the answer for us, but he did fight for it while he was here ... enjoy the ring and good luck!

+NuBbS+
03-02-2010, 08:54 AM
im honestly not surprised at all due to the fact of his size and he looked overwhelmed at times.

SteelMember
03-02-2010, 09:25 AM
I think we have seen enough during his fill-in for Simmons a couple years back to understand this decision... The injury didn't help much either.

I think Urbik's potential is/was part of this also.

TheWarDen86
03-02-2010, 09:40 AM
I actually thought he was solid when he started. I guess he's a risk now because of the knee?

SteelMember
03-02-2010, 09:42 AM
I actually thought he was solid when he started. I guess he's a risk now because of the knee?

He wasn't "bad" imo, but anything looked like an improvement when Simmons was struggling. :noidea:

TheWarDen86
03-02-2010, 10:10 AM
He wasn't "bad" imo, but anything looked like an improvement when Simmons was struggling. :noidea:

Maybe I'm too generous with handing our credit, but I thought he looked like a good fit there.

I'd still like to see what Willie Colon would look like at guard. Wish we could get a tackle and find out. Even if we got a top flight LT and moved Starks back to the right side.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-02-2010, 10:13 AM
I can remember that he was the flavor of the day when he stepped in for Simmons due to injury 2 seasons ago. I watched him pretty closely and he was by far the weakest run blocker on the O line. Stapleton's value was that he could play G and C, but Legursky can do that and is a good 20lbs heavier and a much stronger run blocker than Stapleton.

He should see some interest from NFC teams that play against a lot more 4 man fronts, or need a backup C.

TheWarDen86
03-02-2010, 10:30 AM
I can remember that he was the flavor of the day when he stepped in for Simmons due to injury 2 seasons ago. I watched him pretty closely and he was by far the weakest run blocker on the O line. Stapleton's value was that he could play G and C, but Legursky can do that and is a good 20lbs heavier and a much stronger run blocker than Stapleton.

He should see some interest from NFC teams that play against a lot more 4 man fronts, or need a backup C.

You and I seemed to conclude different things from our observartions Gonz, because I didn't see it that way at all.

steelreserve
03-02-2010, 10:41 AM
This should come as a surprise to no one.

Did anyone notice how much better Colon got with Essex beside him instead of Stapleton? In hindsight, I really think he was so bad, he was making others around him look bad as well. Good luck, but you won't be missed by me.

TheWarDen86
03-02-2010, 10:45 AM

Did anyone notice how much better Colon got with Essex beside him instead of Stapleton? In hindsight, I really think he was so bad, he was making others around him look bad as well. Good luck, but you won't be missed by me.

Colon has been inconsistent at RT no matter who was beside him. I'm not buying that.

SteelMember
03-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Colon has been inconsistent at RT no matter who was beside him. I'm not buying that.

I think he's offering it for free. :hunch:

TheWarDen86
03-02-2010, 11:38 AM
I think he's offering it for free. :hunch:

*sigh*

SteelMember
03-02-2010, 11:41 AM
*sigh*

:sofunny:

What? you can pay if you want.

devilsdancefloor
03-02-2010, 11:45 AM
i really think hartwig & colon was trying to help him so much at times they were getting overwhelmed.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-02-2010, 12:11 PM
You and I seemed to conclude different things from our observartions Gonz, because I didn't see it that way at all.

I noticed that. 2 seasons ago, I observed that Stapleton struggled with a D lineman over him, but was at his best against a 3-4 when he could get to LB's. I also have been saying for 3 years that Colon has the effort, technique and intensity to be a great RT(he just lacks height and arm length).

You conversely think Stapleton is solid and Colon is largely inconsistent.

I wonder what the Steelers front office and coaching staff think? :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-02-2010, 12:16 PM

I think Stapleton was relatively light and agile as a pass protector, but not strong enough at the point of attack to be a good run blocker. He could play C and G....but essentially had the same skill set of Sean Mahan.

That is why we traded Mahan back to the Bucs. Stapleton was the same guy, but younger and with a lower contract value. Sean Mahan could have serviceably filled in at RG for the 2008 season if he was not traded.

steelreserve
03-02-2010, 12:21 PM
I think Stapleton was relatively light and agile as a pass protector, but not strong enough at the point of attack to be a good run blocker. He could play C and G....but essentially had the same skill set of Sean Mahan.

That is why we traded Mahan back to the Bucs. Stapleton was the same guy, but younger and with a lower contract value. Sean Mahan could have serviceably filled in at RG for the 2008 season if he was not traded.

I agree with pretty much everything you just said. I don't think it's any coincidence that two years ago, we averaged something like 4.5 yards running to the left and 2.8 running to the right, but this year it was relatively even. I wish I could find that site again to confirm what the actual numbers were.

kirklandrules
03-02-2010, 03:39 PM
I don't think Stapleton was a good pass blocker. I don't have stats to back me up, but it seemed that Hartwig was always helping to that side of the ball and when he didn't the defender would bullrush Stapleton over and get pressure on Ben. He seemed like he was bringing the fight to every game, but didn't quite have the firepower to win. As I said in a prior post, he was a project that didn't quite show enough potential now that some new blood has arrived. Enjoy the pretty ring you got with us and hope you find your groove elsewhere.

Psyychoward86
03-02-2010, 05:29 PM

lol no. But i did greatly admire his fierce effort on dam-near every play. He's undersized, and it shows, he aint good yet. He could turn into a good one in the future. We got Hills, Urbik, and Legursky backing our trenches up, we'll be alright without him.

Chidi29
03-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Stapleton got his roster spot because of his versatility to be able to play guard and center over guys like a Cameron Stephenson.

But with guys like Legursky and Foster who are just as versatile if not moreso, Stapleton is expendable.

His multiple knee surgeries at this young of an age are also concerning.

TheWarDen86
03-02-2010, 06:58 PM
lol no. But i did greatly admire his fierce effort on dam-near every play. He's undersized, and it shows, he aint good yet. He could turn into a good one in the future. We got Hills, Urbik, and Legursky backing our trenches up, we'll be alright without him.

Maybe I wasn't expecting as much from an undrafted Rookie FA who started due to injury as some of you were. I was pleasantly surprised.

While I trust the organization, they DO make mistakes (i.e. Hank Fraley). I'll trust that they know what they're doing here too.