PDA

View Full Version : Joe Haden just ran a 4.57 at the combine, that should drop him to us.

vrabinec
03-02-2010, 08:36 AM
That means we would have our pick of the corners in the draft. He's the best cover corner in this draft. If he's there, I'd jump on him. ANd, by the way, Ghee ran a 4.37, so that moves him up to the late-mid first, so anyone who thought we might get him in the second can forget about it.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-02-2010, 09:14 AM
That means we would have our pick of the corners in the draft. He's the best cover corner in this draft. If he's there, I'd jump on him. ANd, by the way, Ghee ran a 4.37, so that moves him up to the late-mid first, so anyone who thought we might get him in the second can forget about it.

I wouldnt read too much into Ghee's time...Don Carey ran a 4.41 last year and didnt get drafted until the 6th round. Ghee is projected as a third rounder and I think that is just about where he will go. Unless I am mistaken...he only had 1 interception in college and has been said to be a bit stiff in the hips and has a poor backpedal.

vrabinec
03-02-2010, 09:40 AM
I wouldnt read too much into Ghee's time...Don Carey ran a 4.41 last year and didnt get drafted until the 6th round. Ghee is projected as a third rounder and I think that is just about where he will go. Unless I am mistaken...he only had 1 interception in college and has been said to be a bit stiff in the hips and has a poor backpedal.

I just watched his backpeddal and he looked just as quick as Haden and just as smooth turning around. It's hard for me to judge CB's during the year because they're usually out of the camera shot, so I really have to go by what everyone says about them, but I wonder hiw much Haden's great cover skills had to do with the Florida defensive line geting to the QB quickly, while Ghee's line was average.

SteelerNation12
03-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Teams wont pass on Haden because of his 40. He still has natural coverage skills.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Maybe Haden slides to #18, but I doubt it. That time really has to make teams wonder though.

Robinson, Wilson and McCourty might have just got more interesting to some.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-02-2010, 10:27 AM
I just watched his backpeddal and he looked just as quick as Haden and just as smooth turning around. It's hard for me to judge CB's during the year because they're usually out of the camera shot, so I really have to go by what everyone says about them, but I wonder hiw much Haden's great cover skills had to do with the Florida defensive line geting to the QB quickly, while Ghee's line was average.

I think there is no doubt that Haden dropped out of being a possible top 10 pick...but I look for him to still go in the middle of the 1st round. This could be good news for us as I could see the 49ers grabbing haden if he drops to them and that would help us to draft Thomas if he is still on the boards.

+NuBbS+
03-02-2010, 10:30 AM
i wouldnt buy much on the 40 time. i still like haden. and not to mention he would be a steal at 18. also keep in mind that you never know what the steelers are going to pull out there sleeves. they never seem to take anyone we think they are going to take lol

pete74
03-02-2010, 10:36 AM
maybe we will get luckey and he will fall to 18 because of his 40 time

supa_fly_steeler
03-02-2010, 10:50 AM
I prefer Earl Thomas to Joe Haden, not fast enough for Corner for my liking.... He won't be able to keep up with the fast wide recievers like ocho stinko

Psyychoward86
03-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Teams wont pass on Haden because of his 40. He still has natural coverage skills.

Yeah true, but he'll still probably slide a bit- maybe enough for us to trade down a bit and pick that sucker up :thumbsup:

vrabinec
03-02-2010, 05:59 PM
saying he would drop 12 or more positions just cause of the 40yd dash is ludacris. i doubt that man gms are stupid enough to base their draft pick on a tiny portion of the combine.

Happens every year. Just look back a few years when Aaron Ross came into the combine with a top 15 grade and ran a 4.58.

supa_fly_steeler
03-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Happens every year. Just look back a few years when Aaron Ross came into the combine with a top 15 grade and ran a 4.58.

malcom jenkins as well

Aussie_steeler
03-03-2010, 03:21 AM
Teams have a lot of film on Haden. Haden has shown that he has great coverage skills and always puts himself in great positions.

What his 40 time has shown is that he does not have elite recovery speed. If he gets beat he is probably going to stay beat ( does that sound slightly familiar to us steeler fans). I think the true question with Haden is " What coverage system will he excel in?" If he gets great position he is going to shut down a lot of WR's.

Coverage wise he is still the best CB in the draft. As always I expect to see his pro day performance improve his stock. His time is 0.2 below what was expected. Can he find 0.1 sec in his pro day? I bet he will find that and may be some more.

xbroughneck
03-03-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm not big on drafting a corner when we've got Ike Taylor, Willliam Gay (decent nickel back) and Keenan Lewis (3rd round pick last season whose friends with Mike Wallace) at the corners.

Yeah, Gay plays off a bit and we don't know what we have with Keenan, but still, Keenan is a pretty high draft pick who comes from a conference where guys throw the ball a lot.

Now safety...who here doesn't think Rolle, Thomas or Mays would be better as the first safety off the bench instead of Ty Carter or Ryan Mundy? Maybe not by week one, but by playoffs? Yup.

So, I don't care if Haden falls. I'd take a safety that can cover a big tight end before I'd take a corner who would probably be our #4 corner.

taztroy43
03-03-2010, 06:10 PM
I prefer Earl Thomas to Joe Haden, not fast enough for Corner for my liking.... He won't be able to keep up with the fast wide recievers like ocho stinko

I think Haden has game speed that will allow him to keep up with fast WR!!!! Everyone gets caught up with the 40 times its really quite ridiculous.......He will be a top 10 pick and he'll most likely improve his 40 @ his pro day!!!.....Watch some game tape and watch how fast he really is.....Dont just criticizing someone because he didn't run fast in a straight line while wearing shorts!!!! His game tape speaks for itself and i don't think his time will make him fall to us.....even though i hope he does....:wink02:......Thomas is good but I don't know that he'll be there......if these guys are both gone I hope we trade down a couple of picks and take a chance on Mays.......

Texasteel
03-03-2010, 07:29 PM
I think there is no doubt that Haden dropped out of being a possible top 10 pick...but I look for him to still go in the middle of the 1st round. This could be good news for us as I could see the 49ers grabbing haden if he drops to them and that would help us to draft Thomas if he is still on the boards.

That is exactly what I was thinking LLT, but we still have Pro-Day to go through.

supa_fly_steeler
03-03-2010, 08:01 PM
I think the 49ers will select him 13.

Why did he run so slowly other times he has run a 4.3

CorpseLW
03-09-2010, 12:56 PM
something seemed flawed about the timer on the 40-yard dash.

Thefan22
04-19-2010, 08:31 PM
He ran a sub 4.4 at his pro day, I think the Raiders will take him at 8.

whatdoiknow
04-19-2010, 10:29 PM
He ran a sub 4.4 at his pro day, I think the Raiders will take him at 8.

He didn't come close to a sub 4.40. He ran like a 4.49. And that was on a fast Florida track as well. Haden is NOT known for speed. He is purely a " Zone coverage guy "
Basically a less faster version of D.Townsend.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-20-2010, 07:52 AM
He didn't come close to a sub 4.40. He ran like a 4.49. And that was on a fast Florida track as well. Haden is NOT known for speed. He is purely a " Zone coverage guy "
Basically a less faster version of D.Townsend.

Actually....he has been timed at 4.41 but ran a 4.43 at his pro day....and he has experience with man to man.

Joe Haden Pro-Day
Dates: 03/17/10

Height: 5106
Weight: 193
40 Yrd Dash: 4.43
20 Yrd Dash: 2.60
10 Yrd Dash: 1.54

... "there were examples of him playing man to man. It wasn't all cover 2 or cover 5 where they had over the top help. There were times they did other things"....

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70187&draftyear=2010&genpos=CB

revefsreleets
04-20-2010, 09:53 AM
I'll start caring about 40 times the second the NFL starts letting players play in shorts and t-shirts and the game is only played by running in straight lines...

I'd be ecstatic with Haden at 18...

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-20-2010, 03:34 PM
I'd be ecstatic with Haden at 18...

Same here.

Just a side note to his 40 at the combine, Haden claimed (during an interview with Colin Cowherd) that he pulled a muscle in his back prior to the combine but was told by scouts to participate in all of the drills anyway. He said he never would have run if he knew it would have been blown up the way it did.

revefsreleets
04-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Same here.

Just a side note to his 40 at the combine, Haden claimed (during an interview with Colin Cowherd) that he pulled a muscle in his back prior to the combine but was told by scouts to participate in all of the drills anyway. He said he never would have run if he knew it would have been blown up the way it did.

If we stay at 18 and he falls to us, I'll do somersaults up and down the hallways at work tomorrow morning...