PDA

View Full Version : Combine: Bench Press. Your thoughts...

Steeldude
03-02-2010, 10:23 AM
am i the only who is surprised when hearing a 180+ lb player can only do a handful reps? do they ever visit the weight room? i realize that bench pressing isn't an end-all-be-all factor in determining a players potential success in the NFL; but 2 reps...come on.

Joshua Moore: 5' 11" 188lbs, 2 reps
A.J. Jefferson: 6' 193lbs, 7 reps
Mike Williams: 6' 1" 221, 8 reps
Chad Jones: 6' 2" 221 9 reps

i remember a few years when a participant could not perform a single rep.

Steely McSmash
03-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Isn't Chad Jones a pitcher also? That might mean he wanted to keep flexibility and fast twitch muscle in his arms versus bulky weight lifter arms.

Steeldude
03-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Isn't Chad Jones a pitcher also? That might mean he wanted to keep flexibility and fast twitch muscle in his arms versus bulky weight lifter arms.

good point.

supa_fly_steeler
03-02-2010, 12:19 PM
lolz 2 reps lol weakling

Northside Jonny
03-02-2010, 12:23 PM
You guys do know it has been proven that bench pressing heavy weight is very very bad for your shoulder ligaments.

Steelerstrength
03-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Sorry guys, but that old story of "weight training makes you slow & bulky" is from the 80's.

It's extremely important to have a good strength base to then generate force. It's all about force production. You start with strength, then conversion to power (Velocity specific training) with great practical movements.

A strong person doesn't neccessarily have to possess big arms. Vinny Testaverde used to bench press 425 lbs!

When I was the Strength Coach at a D-1 school for several years, even my point guards could rep 225 lbs. for 10-20 reps! And their average bodyweight was between 160 - 180 lbs.

My point is, strength & conditioning has come a very long way. The program focuses on having stronger, more powerful athletes, that are more flexible than ever. (The more elastic-flexible muscle can fire faster) So, if I player is so weak he cannot bench press 225 lbs., he might not make it into the NFL.