PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Mays

SteelCurtain0815
03-03-2010, 01:38 AM
If we aren't looking to resign Clark, maybe we are looking to draft a potential starter at free safety. Mays ran a 4.34 at the combine and looked very impressive. He did not have the best year at USC, but I could get past that. I would love for him to be back there with Troy. He isn't the best in coverage, but could definitely improve easily. One things for sure, he would make WRs think twice about catching the ball over the middle. I'm prayin he will fall to 18. :popcorn:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-03-2010, 01:55 AM
I still think he has track speed, but looks like he plays slow. He may be good at the combine, but with Football Equipment on, he looks heavy and slow to change direction.

I'd rather pass on Mays and avoid revisiting the drafting of Scott Sheilds.

xbroughneck
03-03-2010, 02:09 AM
I still think he has track speed, but looks like he plays slow. He may be good at the combine, but with Football Equipment on, he looks heavy and slow to change direction.

I'd rather pass on Mays and avoid revisiting the drafting of Scott Sheilds.

Same guy, same work ethic, same physical attributes?

Oh, you're going to say one guy is fail because that big safety didn't pan out.

You might be right, but I see very little other than experience that says Taylor Mays couldn't at LEAST be as good as Ryan Clark in two years, yet with more speed and power.

Smarter guys than i will evaluate him on talent, but I'll take a guy in the first round that played for an NFL caliber coach (Pete Carroll), who also coached another safety on our team, whose faster bigger and can cover in the Pac 10.:doh: Yeah, there were several factors that may have led to Mays not having a stellar year at USC, but I'm not going to stoop so low as to say he's comparable to a second round pick from WEBER STATE.

Taylor Mays would not be a bad pick, but he would improve the depth in our secondary.

Id rather have Taylor Mays as one of our future safeties than Ryan Clark, Deshea Townsend, Ryan Mundy or (heaven help us ) Ty Carter.

We have guys on the offensive line, and even at corner that can possible start on this team eventually.

We need quality youth at the safety spot.

SteelCurtain0815
03-03-2010, 03:07 AM
I really hope he falls. He could also perhaps bring some attitude to our defense where it is really lacking. I don't think he plays slow, he just plays over aggressively and sometimes finds himself out of position to make tackles or defend passes. With the right coaching, which I believe we have, that can be solved.

Galax Steeler
03-03-2010, 04:36 AM
If we aren't looking to resign Clark, maybe we are looking to draft a potential starter at free safety. Mays ran a 4.34 at the combine and looked very impressive. He did not have the best year at USC, but I could get past that. I would love for him to be back there with Troy. He isn't the best in coverage, but could definitely improve easily. One things for sure, he would make WRs think twice about catching the ball over the middle. I'm prayin he will fall to 18. :popcorn:

I much rather have Earl Thomas from Texas. Looks to me like his feet work is alot better and is more of a ball hawk.

Rick5895
03-03-2010, 05:31 AM
Mays could do well here, but my guess is they address the OL or DL in the 1st and pick Rolle from Florida state in the second.

pete74
03-03-2010, 05:33 AM
after watching them at the combine i would be happy with thomas or mays. they both have there downfalls but just about every player with the exception of payton manning has them. i thought mays would be converted to LB but he is looking like a really good saftey now. he just needs to learn how to cover and read better. thomas is a ballhawk but his tackeling skills are nowere close to that of mays. i just want a new saftey that can start

FacemeIke
03-03-2010, 09:48 AM
I'd like to see us go with Mays or Thomas and I prefer Mays over Thomas. But I am not a college football fan so I haven't seen much of either. I wish we had Clark for one more year so we could draft one of these guys, let them sit for a year and then start in their second year. I don't see Clark agreeing to a one year contract at his age though.

vrabinec
03-03-2010, 09:59 AM
I'd like to see us go with Mays or Thomas and I prefer Mays over Thomas. But I am not a college football fan so I haven't seen much of either. I wish we had Clark for one more year so we could draft one of these guys, let them sit for a year and then start in their second year. I don't see Clark agreeing to a one year contract at his age though.

I'd rather have Thomas. It's not that I think Mays will be horrible, but he takes the circular route to get to a lot of plays, which means he gets there late, despite his speed. Now, when he gets there, he knocks the crap out of the receiver, I can see him getting late to a lot of deep balls because he doesn't have the best football instincts. As far as run support, he's a stud. One of the best run support safeties I've ever seen. I kinda look at him as a Ryan Clark with an extra 20 pounds and two steps faster. Thomas doesn't deliver the hits on the receiver that Mays does, but he gets there quicker because he reads the play faster and judges the ball in the air better. He plays the ball more than the man, and has the hands to intercept it. But he doesn't support the run with the authority Mays does, and he needs to work on his form. IMO, neither one would start until well into their rookie year, if they even started as a rookie at all. Of the two, Thomas has a better chance of starting soon.

+NuBbS+
03-03-2010, 10:29 AM
either safety, thomas, mays, or if eric berry falls that far....which is extremely unlikely, would be a good fit at FS for us all. thomas and berry offer immediate improvement at that postion. mays just needs to be coached up a little bit. and who is better to coach him up then our H.O.F defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau??

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Same guy, same work ethic, same physical attributes?

Oh, you're going to say one guy is fail because that big safety didn't pan out.

You might be right, but I see very little other than experience that says Taylor Mays couldn't at LEAST be as good as Ryan Clark in two years, yet with more speed and power.

Smarter guys than i will evaluate him on talent, but I'll take a guy in the first round that played for an NFL caliber coach (Pete Carroll), who also coached another safety on our team, whose faster bigger and can cover in the Pac 10.:doh: Yeah, there were several factors that may have led to Mays not having a stellar year at USC, but I'm not going to stoop so low as to say he's comparable to a second round pick from WEBER STATE.

Taylor Mays would not be a bad pick, but he would improve the depth in our secondary.

Id rather have Taylor Mays as one of our future safeties than Ryan Clark, Deshea Townsend, Ryan Mundy or (heaven help us ) Ty Carter.

We have guys on the offensive line, and even at corner that can possible start on this team eventually.

We need quality youth at the safety spot.

Fact is that Mays is a big guy who looks stiff in coverage and slow in reacting. He was sliding due to his down year and less than impressive performance at the Senior Bowl week.....IN PADS. Some thought he should convert to LB.

Now, the guy runs a 4.3 40 IN SHORTS, and most want him. Those are the kinds of knee jerk reactions that get guys like Heyward-Bey, Chad Jackson and Mike Mammula picked in the 1st round.

Forget the 40 time and vertical jump number, but instead look at what the guy does in pads. I say that I would rather have Berry, Thomas or Nate Allen.

The Scott Sheilds reference was similar in that he was another big guy that was fast for that size and got drafted high because of physical potential and not NFL type ability.

xbroughneck
03-03-2010, 11:54 AM
The Scott Sheilds reference was similar in that he was another big guy that was fast for that size and got drafted high because of physical potential and not NFL type ability.

I think Mays would excel covering opposing tight ends. I also think his run support would be sick.

Now, deep routes...he may suck at. But so does Ryan Clark.

I understand the argument and concern with Mays. I just feel that his strengths are the same strengths that we have with Ryan Clark, but better. (Lacking the experience of course)

How good will Earl Thomas be against big tight ends on plays where Troy decides to blitz?

I hope more coaches and GMs feel the same way you do EG, cause right now Mays is projected to not even be available when we pick. So a LOT of teams appear to be looking to reach for an average NFL safety.

taztroy43
03-03-2010, 12:00 PM
I think Mays would excel covering opposing tight ends. I also think his run support would be sick.

I understand the argument and concern with Mays. I just feel that his strengths are the same strengths that we have with Ryan Clark, but better. (Lacking the experience of course)

How good will Earl Thomas be against big tight ends on plays where Troy decides to blitz?

I hope more coaches and GMs feel the same way you do EG, cause right now Mays is projected to not even be available when we pick. So a LOT of teams appear to be looking to reach for an average NFL safety.

I agree w/ your assessment completely!!!!:thumbsup:

vrabinec
03-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Fact is that Mays is a big guy who looks stiff in coverage and slow in reacting. He was sliding due to his down year and less than impressive performance at the Senior Bowl week.....IN PADS. Some thought he should convert to LB.

Now, the guy runs a 4.3 40 IN SHORTS, and most want him. Those are the kinds of knee jerk reactions that get guys like Heyward-Bey, Chad Jackson and Mike Mammula picked in the 1st round.

Forget the 40 time and vertical jump number, but instead look at what the guy does in pads. I say that I would rather have Berry, Thomas or Nate Allen.

I'm not the biggest Mays fan, but he moves better than Shields. At best, I think Mays could be a Steve Atwater clone. Not particularly great in coverage, but scares the crap out of the receivers so bad that they drop half the balls thrown their way. At worst, he'd be someone you have to pull if the opponent has a TE who is a threat. Either way, I really doubt the Steelers take him. He's not the versatile kind of guy LeBeau usually looks for in his DB's.

xbroughneck
03-03-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm not the biggest Mays fan, but he moves better than Shields. At best, I think Mays could be a Steve Atwater clone. Not particularly great in coverage, but scares the crap out of the receivers so bad that they drop half the balls thrown their way. At worst, he'd be someone you have to pull if the opponent has a TE who is a threat. Either way, I really doubt the Steelers take him. He's not the versatile kind of guy LeBeau usually looks for in his DB's.

If he's on the board I think the Steelers take him, but Pete Carroll won't let him slide by 14. And Mays will make their defense better. He'd make the Steelers defense better. He'd be a monster on blitz packages and you could then slip Troy back into coverage where he can grab a pick.

There are more positives than negatives to drafting Mays to play in your secondary.

How many teams are the Steelers playing next year that have good tight ends?

If the Steelers get to the playoffs and meet the Chargers, would you want a guy like Deshea Townsend covering Ben Gates or Mays. DEFENSIVE SECONDARY needs to get shored up. And by secondary I mean against both the run and the pass. With Farrior losing a step the Steelers need to pick up another speed player.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-03-2010, 04:30 PM

A lot of GM's had guys like Darren McFadden, Tyson Jackson and Chad Jackson ranked high too. It really means they just jumped out at the combine or had perceived upside, but I think they had college type skills...not NFL skills.

I just think Mays is another big guy playing S in college, that might be best suited to play LB, because he just doesnt have the quickness. I didnt see him do the short shuttle....does anybody know how that was for him??

Basically, you think Mays is the next Sean Taylor and I think he is the next Boss Bailey, if he wants to be. We will see, but I would rather the Steelers looked elsewhere.

pete74
03-03-2010, 04:32 PM

i think mays is a good pick for us if he is there. as for him covering deep, with his speed dick can teach him. he is alot faster then clark and bigger

vrabinec
03-03-2010, 04:36 PM
A lot of GM's had guys like Darren McFadden, Tyson Jackson and Chad Jackson ranked high too. It really means they just jumped out at the combine or had perceived upside, but I think they had college type skills...not NFL skills.

I just think Mays is another big guy playing S in college, that might be best suited to play LB, because he just doesnt have the quickness. I didnt see him do the short shuttle....does anybody know how that was for him??

Basically, you think Mays is the next Sean Taylor and I think he is the next Boss Bailey, if he wants to be. We will see, but I would rather the Steelers looked elsewhere.

In fairness to Oakland, McFadden had 3400 yards in two years. That's pretty productive, so he wasn't just a combine workout warrior.. No way to tell he'd turn out to be afraid to hit the hole and have tons of injuries.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-03-2010, 04:46 PM
In fairness to Oakland, McFadden had 3400 yards in two years. That's pretty productive, so he wasn't just a combine workout warrior.. No way to tell he'd turn out to be afraid to hit the hole and have tons of injuries.

You are correct that he did have a lot of yards, but I was pretty firm believer that McFadden benefitted from the wider hashmarks of the college game and that in the NFL he would have to run North-South like Reggie Bush would...and fail. I always thought he was Reggie Bush lite.

I thought Jonathan Stewart, Mendenhall and Matt Forte were better suited to the NFL than McFadden. But, I never thought Chris Johnson would be as productive as he is.

taztroy43
03-03-2010, 06:59 PM
If he's on the board I think the Steelers take him, but Pete Carroll won't let him slide by 14. And Mays will make their defense better. He'd make the Steelers defense better. He'd be a monster on blitz packages and you could then slip Troy back into coverage where he can grab a pick.

There are more positives than negatives to drafting Mays to play in your secondary.

How many teams are the Steelers playing next year that have good tight ends?

If the Steelers get to the playoffs and meet the Chargers, would you want a guy like Deshea Townsend covering Ben Gates or Mays. DEFENSIVE SECONDARY needs to get shored up. And by secondary I mean against both the run and the pass. With Farrior losing a step the Steelers need to pick up another speed player.

:thumbsup: I wouldn't mind Mays @ all!!! He reminds me of Polamalu in the way that people would say that Polamalu couldn't cover @ the next level...etc...etc....just look @ him now!!!! With good coaching and a mentor the sky is the limit with this kid....and guess what the Steelers have both!!!!!!

taztroy43
03-03-2010, 07:05 PM
i think mays is a good pick for us if he is there. as for him covering deep, with his speed dick can teach him. he is alot faster then clark and bigger

Thats what I've been saying as well....look @ the job he did with Polamalu!!!!! Just imagine those two USC guys out there....The Steelers would have the scariest Safety tandem in the NFL!!!!! I hope he's there and believe me with his work ethic Mays will prove a lot of the "Nay" sayers wrong......Mays reminds me a lot of Tebow because a lot of people say they can't do it(play their positions in the NFL), but I think that they are both hardworkers and if I had to put my money on two players proving everybody wrong....I would bet on Tebow and Mays!!!!!!!!

vrabinec
03-03-2010, 10:27 PM
You are correct that he did have a lot of yards, but I was pretty firm believer that McFadden benefitted from the wider hashmarks of the college game and that in the NFL he would have to run North-South like Reggie Bush would...and fail. I always thought he was Reggie Bush lite.

I thought Jonathan Stewart, Mendenhall and Matt Forte were better suited to the NFL than McFadden. But, I never thought Chris Johnson would be as productive as he is.

Yeah, CJ is a guy I whiffed on too. I thought he was FWP without the pseudo inside power. Never saw a guy like him succeed before.

pete74
03-04-2010, 05:49 AM
Thats what I've been saying as well....look @ the job he did with Polamalu!!!!! Just imagine those two USC guys out there....The Steelers would have the scariest Safety tandem in the NFL!!!!! I hope he's there and believe me with his work ethic Mays will prove a lot of the "Nay" sayers wrong......Mays reminds me a lot of Tebow because a lot of people say they can't do it(play their positions in the NFL), but I think that they are both hardworkers and if I had to put my money on two players proving everybody wrong....I would bet on Tebow and Mays!!!!!!!!

hopefully he is there at 18. the downfall is we wont be starting him next season even if we get him or thomas so its troy and mundy unless one gets hurt. if we didnt start the best saftey in the bizz(troy) his rookie year i doubt anyone else would learn the system quick enough to start

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Interesting think on NFL network yesterday as Mayock was saying.."I knew the kid is gifted athletically and was going to put up big numbers here, but when you put on the tape and look for plays, Mays only had 5 INT's in 4 years at USC. 3INT's came his freshman year, so he only had 2 interceptions in the past 3 seasons"

That is what raises a flag to me about Mays. Sure he can run a 40 and jump high, but he only had 2 interceptions in the past 3 years. Some other FS prospects had more in a season and 2 in a game.

Sharkissle29
03-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Interesting think on NFL network yesterday as Mayock was saying.."I knew the kid is gifted athletically and was going to put up big numbers here, but when you put on the tape and look for plays, Mays only had 5 INT's in 4 years at USC. 3INT's came his freshman year, so he only had 2 interceptions in the past 3 seasons"

That is what raises a flag to me about Mays. Sure he can run a 40 and jump high, but he only had 2 interceptions in the past 3 years. Some other FS prospects had more in a season and 2 in a game.

exactly why i think he will be a bust in the NFL

taztroy43
03-04-2010, 03:18 PM
hopefully he is there at 18. the downfall is we wont be starting him next season even if we get him or thomas so its troy and mundy unless one gets hurt. if we didnt start the best saftey in the bizz(troy) his rookie year i doubt anyone else would learn the system quick enough to start

:thumbsup: It would atleast take a year for a player to get comfortable with our defensive playbook.....even if we take earl thomas there is no way that he will be able to take in the whole playbook...he would still need @ least a year to learn the playbook!!!

taztroy43
03-04-2010, 03:32 PM

I completely understand why he would raise red flags.....but in this interview he mentioned that he played/executed what his coaches told him to do @ USC...Here's the interview.....but maybe @ USC he was coached to be more a big hitter than a ballhawk....still if they wanted him to be this way why didn't they put him @ SS???.....:noidea:.....but I have no doubts that if the Steelers want him to be a more of a cover guy he will become more of a cover guy!!! This guy has a really good work ethic... and IMO he will succeed in the NFL if he falls in the right team w/ good coaching and a good mentor!!!!! and by the way the Steelers have both......anyways here's the vid....

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d816b33e2/Mays-unsatisfied

xbroughneck
03-05-2010, 02:23 AM

It's a concern.

But Mays will also play on our special teams coverage teams. I think he'd be better than both Berry and Thomas on special teams (which is where he'll play immediately).

So, you get speed, strength, intimidation, with Ryan Clarks ability to cover and a possible special teams stand out his first year.

Hell, I'd try to move up to at least the 13th spot so we could get Mays.

xbroughneck
03-05-2010, 02:26 AM
exactly why i think he will be a bust in the NFL

The Steelers would get the most immediate VALUE out of Mays (compared to a guy like Thomas). Thomas is more of a ball hawk. Yes.

But Mays would be better at special teams play. He's the more physical of the two.

taztroy43
03-05-2010, 02:38 AM
It's a concern.

But Mays will also play on our special teams coverage teams. I think he'd be better than both Berry and Thomas on special teams (which is where he'll play immediately).

So, you get speed, strength, intimidation, with Ryan Clarks ability to cover and a possible special teams stand out his first year.

Hell, I'd try to move up to at least the 13th spot so we could get Mays.

:thumbsup: Good points!!!

taztroy43
03-05-2010, 02:41 AM
The Steelers would get the most immediate VALUE out of Mays (compared to a guy like Thomas). Thomas is more of a ball hawk. Yes.

But Mays would be better at special teams play. He's the more physical of the two.

:thumbsup: True he would be a better S.T. player out of the both and if we draft the guy he would have time to learn the playbook and hopefully develop into what I believe is his potential....which is very high IMO....but again he has to fall into a team with great coaching that has a great mentor to teach him the ropes...and the Steelers have both in Dick and Troy!!!! but that would only be if we draft the guy...and honestly I'm kind of hoping they do!!!

pete74
03-05-2010, 05:57 AM
i like thomas and mays and hope we will land one of them. they both have there percs and downfalls. thomas can play corner then move to saftey when we need him to or if there is an injury. mays is fast as hell and a hard hitter who will only play saftey. personally i would be happy with either. after seeing mays at the combine my views towards him really changed and i think he will end up being a great saftey in the nfl for many years. he looks like the next LT to me and i would love to see him and troy teamed up

supa_fly_steeler
03-05-2010, 08:10 AM

I wouldnt say that right now because we have no starting free safety :banging: <----- clarks agent :hammer:

SteelCurtain0815
03-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Now that we resigned Clark and added Allen it doesn't look like we will be going safety in the first round. Too bad cuz I woulda loved to see Mays in black and gold. Plus I bet he he is a beast on Madden with that hit power. :)

ricksteelers55
03-10-2010, 03:35 AM
Am I the only one intrigued by Chad Jones at S ?