View Full Version : California State Assembly attempts to ban cursing

SCSTILLER
03-03-2010, 06:26 AM
http://www.10news.com/news/22675990/detail.html

State Assembly Passes Cursing Ban Resolution
State Senate Has Final Say On California 'Cuss Free Week'

POSTED: 4:22 pm PST February 25, 2010
UPDATED: 4:23 pm PST February 25, 2010

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Californians had better start watching their mouths.

The state Assembly passed a resolution Thursday that would establish the first week of March as "Cuss Free Week" throughout the state. If approved by the Senate next week, the measure would take effect immediately.

The resolution includes no enforcement mechanism and is simply meant to promote greater harmony and connectedness, said Assemblyman Anthony Portantino, a Democrat from La Canada Flintridge and co-author of the measure.

"I've always wondered why we behave differently when grandma is watching than when we're on our own," said Portantino, who owned up to his share of four-letter words.

Portantino said the California Legislature -- known for imposing strict clean air and clean water laws -- is the first state legislative body in the nation to consider a statewide profanity-free week.

The resolution was inspired by a South Pasadena teenager, McKay Hatch, who started a No Cussing Club at his junior high school in 2007. Similar clubs have since cropped up in every state and 20 countries.

Hatch, who traveled to Sacramento with his family to support the resolution, said he sees a link between foul-mouthed incivility and other forms of problem behavior, such as drug use and bullying.

Next up for the 16-year-old? Promoting no-cussing measures in other states and internationally.

"Next year I want to do a world tour," he said. "Cussing is a hard habit to break, but anyone can do it."

Awwwwwwwww BLEEP, guess I won't be going to California that week

HometownGal
03-03-2010, 07:05 AM
What's next - "Poontang Free Week", " "Cough and Sneeze Free Week" and "Wiping Your Hiney Free Week"? :banging:

How 'bout they have a "Pelosi Free Week"? :applaudit:

Only in California. :shake01:

GBMelBlount
03-03-2010, 07:30 AM
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Californians had better start watching their mouths.

The state Assembly passed a resolution Thursday that would establish the first week of March as "Cuss Free Week" throughout the state.

eff that.

Gnutella
03-03-2010, 07:58 AM
**** that stupid shit!

SteelerNation12
03-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Its already illegal to cuss in public. They just don't enforce it.

MACH1
03-03-2010, 08:36 AM
What happened to freedom of speech?

GBMelBlount
03-03-2010, 08:48 AM

No ****? I probably knew that at one point in my life. :chuckle:

Seriously though, SN, your point about the government not enforcing this law perfectly dovetails with what I hope to bring up for discussion on Mesa's excellent thread from yesterday about bank bailouts. :drink:

Indo
03-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Soooo...
We're gonna spend money to enact a law or resolution or whatever so that people will be all touchey-feely with each other (or, at least feel that way----according to them)

What is it with these tree-huggers who fail to see the forest for the trees they're hugging?

effing stupid, IMO

SteelersinCA
03-03-2010, 09:21 AM

How exactly do you figure that? Please provide some proof of this.

OneForTheToe
03-03-2010, 09:24 AM
I think it is a #$%^**&& &^$$^** v@#$#%$%^&**&&^%$#@!@#%&*&^%$%^&*((
(**^&^$#$^&**&())*&^%$#@#@#$%^&*(()()_)__++_)(*&&^^%^$#$#@!@!@$^&*
@@$#%^&**^%&***&^&&*((*&^^%%%$$#%^&**()()(**&^%%$#$$ great idea.

MACH1
03-03-2010, 09:40 AM
So are they going to bleep out the language in a movie at the theater where the public watches said movie?

What about a nfl game, the language police going to run out on the field and arrest players for swearing?

stlrtruck
03-03-2010, 12:21 PM
What about a nfl game, the language police going to run out on the field and arrest players for swearing?

What about the fans in the stands? Good Lord Oakland alone could lose their entire fan base in one swift move.

Vincent
03-03-2010, 01:05 PM
So are they going to bleep out the language in a movie at the theater where the public watches said movie?

Yeah, the irony here is oppressive - the World's #1 manufacturers of filth banning "bad" language. How does that work?

Reminds me of Demolition Man...

Simon Phoenix: Look I don't need a history lesson! C'mon, HAL, where are the god damn guns?
Moral Statute Machine: You are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.
Simon Phoenix: What? **** you!
Moral Statute Machine: Your repeated violation of the Verbal Morality Statute has caused me to notify the San Angeles Police Department. Please remain where you are for your reprimand.
Simon Phoenix: Yeah, right.
[police sirens approach]
Simon Phoenix: ****ers are fast too.
Moral Statute Machine: You are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.

What about the fans in the stands? Good Lord Oakland alone could lose their entire fan base in one swift move.

How'd you like to be the poor dumb sumbitch they send to tell raidah nation to curb their potty mouths.

Nadroj 20
03-03-2010, 01:10 PM
How'd you like to be the poor dumb sumbitch they send to tell raidah nation to curb their potty mouths.

I would leave them a note and get the heck outta town :chuckle:

beSteelmyheart
03-03-2010, 05:21 PM
With the state in such financial disarray, can't they find something better to do?
HTG is right, only in California...(bunch of anal idiots out there)