PDA

View Full Version : Is two weeks too much?

Large_Ant
02-03-2006, 09:41 PM
When your team is not in the Super Bowl, it seems like the time between the Conference Championship games and the Super Bowl is about right. But is it just me that thinks that when your team is in it, this is an excruciatingly long time to wait two weeks for the game?

IMO, we've analyzed everything backwards and forwards and argued it out as much as possible. Just seems to me like this is the virtual equivalent of sitting around in a motel room with a condom on while your girlfriend finishes watching "Friends".

Let's get busy already!! Anybody else?

MagicHawk
02-03-2006, 09:54 PM
I think everytime there has only been a week the game has been very close but I could be wrong there. Anyway there are advantages either way, and yes this is excuriating but I think of it this way at least we are in!!!:thmbup:

Prosdo
02-03-2006, 09:57 PM
I think it has its pros and cons. Thankfully the time between now and kickoff should go fast now.

Brady12
02-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Not at all, it gives teams a chance to relax for one week, and then travel to the Super Bowl site, and prepare for the game.

Koopa
02-03-2006, 10:00 PM
these two weeks for me have gone by super fast. and it's good for each team, no exuses of being tired and shit like that. damn i can't wait till sunday

Atlanta Dan
02-03-2006, 10:06 PM
There might be some concern that a team on a roll might cool off, but I think the off week is a needed opportunity to recharge after the Steelers had been playing elimination games since mid-December.

FisherMOM
02-03-2006, 10:10 PM
I was just talking to my husband about this tonight...
he and I agree.. 2 weeks off doesn't feel right.

I would rather they HADN'T rested and gotten out ofthe MODE...
Hopefully it wont hinder the teams though.

I can wait the 2 weeks, I just hope it doesn't hurt us.

can you believe it's only 1 day - 19 hours and 21 minutes away?!?!?!

Koopa
02-03-2006, 10:20 PM
I was just talking to my husband about this tonight...
he and I agree.. 2 weeks off doesn't feel right.

I would rather they HADN'T rested and gotten out ofthe MODE...
Hopefully it wont hinder the teams though.

I can wait the 2 weeks, I just hope it doesn't hurt us.

it's the superbowl, if they ain't in the right mode for this game, they shouldn't be playing in this league

FisherMOM
02-03-2006, 10:25 PM
it's the superbowl, if they ain't in the right mode for this game, they shouldn't be playing in this league

I suppose you are right Koopa.... very good point! :cool:

BlackNGold203
02-03-2006, 10:34 PM
The Super Bowl itself is a logistical nightmare...the extra week is really necessary for everyone to get their act together

WWIIOwheelz
02-03-2006, 10:41 PM
The Super Bowl itself is a logistical nightmare...the extra week is really necessary for everyone to get their act together

True dat!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2001-12/7071/narnia.JPG

Livinginthe past
02-03-2006, 10:43 PM
I think it should be a weeks break - Im not questioning teams motivation - neither will lack that come game day - but it must be difficult to maintain focus and stay pumped over a 2 week period.

All the playoff games before that have a weeks break in between I dont see why the SB should be any different.

As long as the playing field is level for both teams I dont see a problem with the 6/7 day break.

All we get for two weeks is media nonsense - who needs that?

NM

Livinginthe past
02-03-2006, 10:45 PM

What sort of logistics are you talking about?

All the teams need to do is get there and a have a few days light training - all the stadium related stuff could have been started after week 17....or seeing as its Detroit...week 5.

I can't see how its any different to a Championship game.

NM

BlackNGold203
02-03-2006, 10:49 PM
this is a little (actually alot) different..all the players and staffs family and friends attend...and lets face it..this is a national event...the leagues showcase...Id love to have it with one week off..but i dont think its realistic...not the way the league showcases this thing

shevdog
02-04-2006, 12:20 AM
2 weeks is too much. Yet there is 1 day to go, so I can make it 1 more day!

Here we go Steelers, here we go!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-04-2006, 01:06 AM
You almost have to have 2 weeks unless the NFL and the TV networks are willing to severaly cut back all hype and lose money..

You figure..after the conference championship game, players come back to work usually on wednesday, they spend the next 3 days or so installing the game plan and going over film, that puts you to saturday, then you fly out on sunday or monday, and by then unless u wanna have a prime time monday nite super bowl, ur stuck w/ the extra week so the networks then see the dollar signs dancing in their heads.

augustashark
02-04-2006, 01:27 AM
Hell I got divorced and then remarried between the Broncos game and today!!!!!:sofunny:

Yea the two weeks are way to long!

Ambridge
02-04-2006, 01:32 AM
I don't like the two weeks off.

The Steelers were playing lights out football in their three playoff games and were smokin'.
Kinda like when you're on a roll playing cards or shooting dice you want to keep playing that hot streak for all it's worth for as long as you can.

There's too much time for them to sit around and reflect on their accomplishments, buy into the hype and get fat heads over themselves.

Another sign of whether the Steelers have truly taken the next step of playing championship football will be how they come out and play early in the game after two weeks off/bye week...............No sloppy play on both sides of the ball and no dumb-ass penalties and maintaining that performance level for the entire game.

Large_Ant
02-04-2006, 02:12 AM
But who's countin', right?

:bouncy:

Livinginthe past
02-04-2006, 02:20 AM
I don't like the two weeks off.

The Steelers were playing lights out football in their three playoff games and were smokin'.
Kinda like when you're on a roll playing cards or shooting dice you want to keep playing that hot streak for all it's worth for as long as you can.

There's too much time for them to sit around and reflect on their accomplishments, buy into the hype and get fat heads over themselves.

Another sign of whether the Steelers have truly taken the next step of playing championship football will be how they come out and play early in the game after two weeks off/bye week...............No sloppy play on both sides of the ball and no dumb-ass penalties and maintaining that performance level for the entire game.

In my honest opinion I think both sides will come out a little sloppy - its hard to come out of the traps perfectly when you have been resting up for a couple of weeks.

I would totally agree that the Steelers were playing consistently the best football I have seen this year by any team over the last couple of games - it would be nice to think they could reach them standards again Sunday.

All of this means not much though I suppose, the best team will still win.

I dont think anybody really knows how good this Seahawks team is - the 1st half should give us a good indication.

NM

MagicHawk
02-04-2006, 03:14 AM
I dont think anybody really knows how good this Seahawks team is - the 1st half should give us a good indication.
Problem is if we play up to snuff it may be too late then....I actually think both will start out slow but I could be wrong.

Brady12
02-04-2006, 11:10 AM
I had exams last week, so I didn't really have to go to school much, so that made the week seem like it didn't happen. So it seems like just one week.

BlackNGold203
02-04-2006, 11:29 AM
LOL..I just love being in the position of having to kill these 2 weeks....man...what a great time to be a Pittsburgher!!!!

clevestinks
02-04-2006, 11:32 AM
As a fan, its way to long! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY tooooooooo lonGGGGGGGG!

Suitanim
02-04-2006, 04:30 PM
When your team is not in the Super Bowl, it seems like the time between the Conference Championship games and the Super Bowl is about right. But is it just me that thinks that when your team is in it, this is an excruciatingly long time to wait two weeks for the game?

Asked and answered by yourself...there are 32 teams, and only 2 endure this.

PS Props to OWheelz for the Parnell/Sandberg "Chronicles of Narnia Rap" reference. That was the funniest skit on SNL in at least 5 years! Rep to you...

83-Steelers-43
02-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Personally, I like the two week break. I enjoy watching the media coverage. Gives me time to get ready for the party. Beer runs, grocery shopping, party items, making the
guest list...etc. etc.

From a player and fan point of view I would rather watch two well rested teams play.