PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Tender Two More

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Steelers tender two more
Wednesday, March 03, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

.As expected, the Steelers issued tenders to cornerback William Gay and tight end Matt Spaeth, who join tackle Willie Colon and punter Daniel Sepulveda as restricted free agents when the official opening of free agency begins at the stroke of midnight Thursday.

Gay and Spaeth each received tenders of slightly more than $1 million, as did Sepulveda. Like Sepulveda, each would provide the Steelers with a draft choice if they sign elsewhere and the Steelers did not exercise their right to match the contract.

Gay would bring a fifth-round pick and Spaeth a third-round pick. Sepulveda would bring a fourth-round pick and Colon a first-round pick.

The Steelers did not issue tenders to guard Darnell Stapleton or halfback Carey Davis and thus both will become unrestricted free agents on Friday

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10062/1040095-100.stm#ixzz0h9q51LEB

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-03-2010, 06:07 PM
I guess letting Gay go exposed for a 5th round pick in return isnt exactly a vote of confidence. Must mean the Steelers are fine with Taylor, Burnett, Lewis, some rookies and free agents.

Northside Jonny
03-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Oh please oh please someone offer Speath more:deal:. I'd love to have one more third rounder in this draft :drool:

MACH1
03-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Oh please oh please someone offer Speath more:deal:. I'd love to have one more third rounder in this draft :drool:

And Carey Davis.

NJarhead
03-03-2010, 06:49 PM
And Carey Davis.

Heck, a few games into last year I was damn glad to have him back. Frank Summers hadn't shown jack prior to his "mysterious" injury.

Northside Jonny
03-03-2010, 07:13 PM
And Carey Davis.

Carey Davis wasn't tendered we won't get jack for him.

MACH1
03-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Carey Davis wasn't tendered we won't get jack for him.

:doh: Guess I should learn to read. :laughing:

Northside Jonny
03-03-2010, 07:38 PM
:doh: Guess I should learn to read. :laughing:

:drink:

Fire Haley
03-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Spaeth gone for a 3rd, OK - Gay gone for a 5th - not so OK.

Even if we upgrade at corner we still need some young nickle backs - Townsend is just about done, IMO.

This draft will be a real crap shoot.

SteelerFanInStl
03-03-2010, 08:07 PM
I would rather have seen the 3rd on Gay and 5th on Spaeth. I hope that Lewis and Burnett are ready to play a lot more this year.

Northside Jonny
03-03-2010, 08:22 PM
I would rather have seen the 3rd on Gay and 5th on Spaeth. I hope that Lewis and Burnett are ready to play a lot more this year.

I thought Burnett showed some promise in the limited playing time he had. I was just looking at the roster and Lewis is listed at 6'0" and 208 LBS do you think maybee he was drafted as a project to turn into a S? He hardly played last year even though he was drafted higher than Burnett. Another thing that caught my eye was that Ryan Mundy was listed as SAF does that mean they think he can play SS and FS?

xbroughneck
03-03-2010, 09:09 PM
I thought Burnett showed some promise in the limited playing time he had. I was just looking at the roster and Lewis is listed at 6'0" and 208 LBS do you think maybee he was drafted as a project to turn into a S? He hardly played last year even though he was drafted higher than Burnett. Another thing that caught my eye was that Ryan Mundy was listed as SAF does that mean they think he can play SS and FS?

It means that the odds are....

1) we're drafting a safety at 18

2) we're drafting a corner at 18

3) we're moving up to get ahead of Seattle to get MAYS at

4) we're trading our pick for a later pick for more picks on day 2.

If we're going young in our secondary it better be for GOOD talent. Not a 3-6 round pick. Lewis and Burnett are fine for that.

Townsend will obviously be back.

I think Gay will be back too though, and he will battle Lewis for the starting corner spot.

steelerdude15
03-03-2010, 09:59 PM
I think it's a good idea to tender these two, they really haven't shown much. Gay's a good guy, but he's a below average corner. I mean why not give up a few to draft a few more, let's see how this goes... this is going to be a very interesting off season.

Northside Jonny
03-03-2010, 10:12 PM
It means that the odds are....

1) we're drafting a safety at 18

2) we're drafting a corner at 18

3) we're moving up to get ahead of Seattle to get MAYS at

4) we're trading our pick for a later pick for more picks on day 2.

If we're going young in our secondary it better be for GOOD talent. Not a 3-6 round pick. Lewis and Burnett are fine for that.

Townsend will obviously be back.

I think Gay will be back too though, and he will battle Lewis for the starting corner spot.

Well I hope your right ! Because I'm don't like the thought of Gay or Mundy starting.

chonba
03-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Absolutely terrible news. William Gay needs to go. Worst cornerback to ever wear a Steelers uniform. Hopefully some team bites on the 5th round pick.

Hotrodder07
03-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Really wouldn't mind at all if Spaeth would leave, especially if we get a 3rd round pick out of it. Gay, on the other hand, I would be upset about. I know, he was quite disappointing last year, but we really need players at corner. We don't know if anybody on our roster right now can actually step up and play better than him. I'd like to keep him, and see if he can improve. If not, we'll draft his replacement very soon.

Psyychoward86
03-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Spaeth got a higher tender than Gay? I know they both suck but...wtf?

OneForTheToe
03-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Absolutely terrible news. William Gay needs to go. Worst cornerback to ever wear a Steelers uniform. Hopefully some team bites on the 5th round pick.

You obviously were not around, or don't remember, the Harvey Clayton era.

steelreserve
03-04-2010, 02:43 AM

They both got the same tender, the lowest one. It goes

low - guarantees same draft pick you took the player with
mid - guaranteed 2nd round pick
high - guaranteed 1st round pick
top - guaranteed 1st and 3rd round pick

only difference is that we took Spaeth in the 3rd round and Gay in the 5th round.

Personally, I'm amazed we gave Spaeth that offer. He'd be lucky to get the league minimum. Guess that for some reason, we think it'll be a good idea to pay him $1 million to be a training camp cut. I think RFA contracts are guaranteed this year in addition to franchise tag contracts, right? Or am I thinking of the transition tag?

LVSteelersfan
03-04-2010, 02:47 AM

I absolutely detest William Gay so yeah, Spaeth higher than Gay sounds about right. I never liked Gay from the time he wore a stupid New York sports cap at the parade. That just stuck in my craw. And the way he played last year was pathetic.

Aussie_steeler
03-04-2010, 04:20 AM
Hey GONZ ----- when do we officially get to call you

" EL GONZO CAREY DAVIS"

It looks like your whipping boy might finally be gone.

supa_fly_steeler
03-04-2010, 09:12 AM
I don't see why there is so much hatred to carey davis he was our best fullback we had the past 2 years

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Hey GONZ ----- when do we officially get to call you

" EL GONZO CAREY DAVIS"

It looks like your whipping boy might finally be gone. I would not count him out. He was gone and came back last year.... like Freddy Kruger, you just cant get rid of him. :freddy:

I don't see why there is so much hatred to carey davis he was our best fullback we had the past 2 years

Because at 225lbs, he is the same weight as Mendenhall. When your lead blocker is continually getting punked by Tedy Bruschi, Ray Lewis, Dhani Jones, etc.....he isnt much of a blocker.

Add the fact that he isnt much of a receiving threat out of the backfield and he serves less purpose than the Gatorade bucket on the sidelines. Why offer him a contract when any other UDFA from college can do more than that.?

Oh, and I would say David Johnson, McHugh and Miller were better blockers from the backfield than Davis over the past 2 years.

MACH1
03-04-2010, 11:50 AM
I would not count him out. He was gone and came back last year.... like Herpes, you just cant get rid of him. :freddy:

Fixed it for ya. :sofunny:

steelreserve
03-04-2010, 11:53 AM

He's also the only fullback we've had the past two years. The real cream of the crap. Not hard to be the "best" when your only competition is a couple of seventh-round tight ends playing out of position. He's defaulted into the fullback job because we've completely ignored it, basically.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Fixed it for ya. :sofunny:

You changed my Nightmare on Elm street reference to a STD reference??

Thats it......I'm putting you on ignore. :headshake:

supa_fly_steeler
03-04-2010, 02:10 PM
He's also the only fullback we've had the past two years. The real cream of the crap. Not hard to be the "best" when your only competition is a couple of seventh-round tight ends playing out of position. He's defaulted into the fullback job because we've completely ignored it, basically.

That's true why also the hate for my guy William Gay... He had a good year in 2008.... Doesn't deserve all the hatred imo share it all lol.

I personally don't think Summers can be a fullback but that my opinion he should be left as a power back

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2010, 02:23 PM
That's true why also the hate for my guy William Gay... He had a good year in 2008.... Doesn't deserve all the hatred imo share it all lol.

I personally don't think Summers can be a fullback but that my opinion he should be left as a power back

Gay shared some snaps with McFadden in 08 and I think got the start in 1 game vs the colts. He covered like Chad Scott in '09 and looked slower than the previous season.

I think the fact that the Steelers left him exposed with only the price of a 5th round pick shows that while hatred is too strong of a word.....they just dont think he is worth much. Maybe somebody snags him from us and we go after Leigh Bodden.

MACH1
03-04-2010, 02:27 PM
You changed my Nightmare on Elm street reference to a STD reference??

Thats it......I'm putting you on ignore. :headshake:

:toofunny:

vrabinec
03-04-2010, 03:26 PM

It's not just because that's where they drafted him and so that's the draft pick that goes with him. Spaeth is a 6'7 270 lb. beast. The dude is averaging 9 catches a year, and 1/2 a block every three years. I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts or Pats jumped all over than to get him in their arsenal.

Psyychoward86
03-04-2010, 06:13 PM
The dude is averaging 9 catches a year, and 1/2 a block every three years.

lol what

fansince'76
03-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Absolutely terrible news. William Gay needs to go. Worst cornerback to ever wear a Steelers uniform.

How quickly folks forget "Charred" Scott....

xbroughneck
03-05-2010, 02:39 AM
It's not just because that's where they drafted him and so that's the draft pick that goes with him. Spaeth is a 6'7 270 lb. beast. The dude is averaging 9 catches a year, and 1/2 a block every three years. I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts or Pats jumped all over than to get him in their arsenal.

You sir, made me laugh heartily. :drink:

xbroughneck
03-05-2010, 02:41 AM
How quickly folks forget "Charred" Scott....

To be fair, Chad was never the same after his injury.

Come to think of it, he use to play off receivers a lot just like Gay did this year.

Hank Poteat (when he was here) wasn't too good either. :noidea:

xbroughneck
03-05-2010, 02:42 AM
lol what

That's code for "Spaeth is the worst blocking tight end the Steelers have had in 10 years".

Which is true.