PDA

View Full Version : Left Tackle Question

BKAnthem
03-03-2010, 08:15 PM
I hear about this guy can play Left Tackle and that guy can't....but Who are the Top 10 Left Tackles in this draft? And why don't any pre draft sites break Tackles down that way?

jonslow
03-03-2010, 10:08 PM
I hear about this guy can play Left Tackle and that guy can't....but Who are the Top 10 Left Tackles in this draft? And why don't any pre draft sites break Tackles down that way?

Most sites don't break down offensive linemen into specific positions because so many players are adept to playing multiple positions. The translation for college to the NFL isn't an exact science, and a lot is up to interpretation. I would venture to say that evaluating linemen and where they can play is one of the toughest things to do for a draft site.

Look at a guy like Brandon Albert. He's playing left tackle right now, but many people think he will get moved to the right side of the line next year based on his strengths and weaknesses.

When I break down linemen, I look at a lot of specifics... footwork, size, arm length, explosiveness-- just to name a few. A lot of guys come into the league as centers or guards and change positions. By the same token, some players come into the league at left tackle and wind up somewhere else because they are better suited at another position.

Offensive linemen are often interchangeable at several positions, so it's hard to evaluate where a player will play in the NFL. Aside from that, a quality left tackle (like Michael Oher) might end up at the right side of the line due to other personnel. Baltimore took Jared Gaither the year before Oher and was already at left tackle when they drafted Oher. On many other teams, Oher would be playing left tackle.

So I guess to get to the point, there are too many variables to assign an offensive lineman a specific position unless he is a phenomenal talent coming out of college and has the necessary skillset to play left tackle immediately.

BKAnthem
03-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Most sites don't break down offensive linemen into specific positions because so many players are adept to playing multiple positions. The translation for college to the NFL isn't an exact science, and a lot is up to interpretation. I would venture to say that evaluating linemen and where they can play is one of the toughest things to do for a draft site.

Look at a guy like Brandon Albert. He's playing left tackle right now, but many people think he will get moved to the right side of the line next year based on his strengths and weaknesses.

When I break down linemen, I look at a lot of specifics... footwork, size, arm length, explosiveness-- just to name a few. A lot of guys come into the league as centers or guards and change positions. By the same token, some players come into the league at left tackle and wind up somewhere else because they are better suited at another position.

Offensive linemen are often interchangeable at several positions, so it's hard to evaluate where a player will play in the NFL. Aside from that, a quality left tackle (like Michael Oher) might end up at the right side of the line due to other personnel. Baltimore took Jared Gaither the year before Oher and was already at left tackle when they drafted Oher. On many other teams, Oher would be playing left tackle.

So I guess to get to the point, there are too many variables to assign an offensive lineman a specific position unless he is a phenomenal talent coming out of college and has the necessary skillset to play left tackle immediately.

Thanks for that....so based on your observations who would make good LT's?

jonslow
03-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks for that....so based on your observations who would make good LT's?

http://www.sidelinescouting.net/rankings/ot.shtml

Okung
Bulaga
Davis (although he might be a better RT than left)
Williams
Brown

Those are my top LTs. There are other guys that can play there and a lot of late-rounders that could really pan out on the left side, but those are just guys at the top of my list at LT.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2010, 09:28 AM

Okung
Bulaga
Williams
Brown

Those are my top LTs. There are other guys that can play there and a lot of late-rounders that could really pan out on the left side, but those are just guys at the top of my list at LT.

The next group might include:

Bruce Campbell
Jared Veldheer
Roger Saffold (some think he is guard)
Jason Fox
Vlad Ducasse
Tony Washington

jonslow
03-04-2010, 11:25 AM
The next group might include:

Bruce Campbell
Jared Veldheer
Roger Saffold (some think he is guard)
Jason Fox
Vlad Ducasse
Tony Washington

I like Veldheer a lot, and coming from a really small school, he's been under the radar on a lot of boards. I definitely consider him a decent LT prospect.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on Ducasse, though. I watched him all week at Senior Bowl and was really unimpressed with his footwork. I think he's going to end up on the right side of the line or at LG in the NFL.

Tony Washington's another guy I like from a small school, but I see him as more of a 5th-6th round project-type lineman.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2010, 01:01 PM
I like Veldheer a lot, and coming from a really small school, he's been under the radar on a lot of boards. I definitely consider him a decent LT prospect.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on Ducasse, though. I watched him all week at Senior Bowl and was really unimpressed with his footwork. I think he's going to end up on the right side of the line or at LG in the NFL.

Tony Washington's another guy I like from a small school, but I see him as more of a 5th-6th round project-type lineman.

No disagreement here. When Mayock was touting Ducasse as his #5 OT last month, I didnt see anything that would indicate Ducasse was that special. He is a decent athlete for a big man, but struggled with kick slide, hand placement, balance and staying with a inside counter rush move.

Selvish Capers is another that was getting some publicity, but I think he is much like Tony Hills. Good feet, plays high, needs sand in his pants to anchor against bull rush.

Of guys that are on the right side only, I like Calloway, Black, Mike Tepper from Cal, Ulatoski and to a lesser degree Sam Young.

jollyrob68
03-04-2010, 02:45 PM
I like Jared Veldheer and expect New England to snatch him in the 2nd round although they dont need him.
I Hope we get another 1st for Willie Colon or a 2nd & 4th or 2nd & player for him. Then we can get a DL,CB,OL in the first 2 rounds. However, Draftspots second mock draft had us getting McClain in the 1st and Brandon Ghee in the second. I like that but would like an additional 2nd rounder to get Pouncey,Veldheer or a DL. In FAct if we lost willie then Veldeer would be the choice with the additional second.

vrabinec
03-04-2010, 03:07 PM

Okung
Bulaga
Williams
Brown

Davis is a mauler, but he doesn't have the quick feet necessary to be a LT. To the OP, if you look at most teams, their defense is set up like ours where the speed rusher (Harrison in our case) is on the back side and the power rusher (Woodley in our case) is on the strong side because that's where the tight end usually lines and and most teams run to the right much more than they do to the left. A guy like Davis would match up well with a big guy like Woodley, but Harrison's too quick for him IMO. He'd never slide out fast enough if Harrison gave him an inside fake and then took an outside speed rush.

I'm not sold that Okung is quick enough at the LT spot either. I know they rave about him, but from what I remember of their games, he was more of a mauler too, just on the back side. And it's not like Oklahoma State was a pass first team last year, so he wouldn't have been exposed too much. Trent Williams, Bulaga, Brown and Campbell have really quick feet, they should do well at LT (Not sure about Brown because his technique is absolute crap, but unless he's a moron like Bruce Davis he should adapt)

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Davis is a mauler, but he doesn't have the quick feet necessary to be a LT. To the OP, if you look at most teams, their defense is set up like ours where the speed rusher (Harrison in our case) is on the back side and the power rusher (Woodley in our case) is on the strong side because that's where the tight end usually lines and and most teams run to the right much more than they do to the left. A guy like Davis would match up well with a big guy like Woodley, but Harrison's too quick for him IMO. He'd never slide out fast enough if Harrison gave him an inside fake and then took an outside speed rush.

I'm not sold that Okung is quick enough at the LT spot either. I know they rave about him, but from what I remember of their games, he was more of a mauler too, just on the back side. And it's not like Oklahoma State was a pass first team last year, so he wouldn't have been exposed too much. Trent Williams, Bulaga, Brown and Campbell have really quick feet, they should do well at LT (Not sure about Brown because his technique is absolute crap, but unless he's a moron like Bruce Davis he should adapt)

Vrabinec, I have to disagree with most of what you say here.

-Okung is an athletic and natural LT. He held his own as a Junior vs Brian Orakpo in 2008 and stood out on tape at their Bowl game that year vs Oregon. I watched that game for Max Unger info and was blown away by Okung. He is a stud.

Anthony Davis has a bad 40 time, but is a natural knee bender, with long arms and quick feet. Rutgers pulled him and their LG on runs to the right side of the line and he moves there quick. He's a premier run blocker with great pass protection ability that needs refinement.

Bulaga has fantastic technique, but not the quickest of feet and short arms. He efficiently uses his footwork to maintain a base, but a speed rusher will get the edge on him faster than they will Davis or Okung. Bulaga makes up for physical weaknesses with great technique and patience......he doesnt overreact on the 1st move.

Trent Williams again has shorter height and arms than you would like. He is almost a Willie Colon type guy, but not as short. Williams has outstanding feet, but inconsistent technique. He could play LT, but might struggle and end up playing RT or inside in the NFL.

Texasteel
03-04-2010, 05:18 PM
When Davis started talking about coming out, I got very exited, because I thought we just might have a shot at him. Now for us to get close to him some one would have to make a mistake, besides Oakland of course which is a give me. I see Davis as the 2nd best OT in this draft. It's just my opinion, but I see Okung, and Davis and the 2 sure things at LT, if there is such a thing. If it came down to Davis or Earl Thomas, I think I would take Davis, but I know it's not likely we get either.

Man I love this time of year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-04-2010, 06:21 PM
When Davis started talking about coming out, I got very exited, because I thought we just might have a shot at him. Now for us to get close to him some one would have to make a mistake, besides Oakland of course which is a give me. I see Davis as the 2nd best OT in this draft. It's just my opinion, but I see Okung, and Davis and the 2 sure things at LT, if there is such a thing. If it came down to Davis or Earl Thomas, I think I would take Davis, but I know it's not likely we get either.

Man I love this time of year.

Tex, 3 years ago, Jeff Otah went #19 to the Panthers....Oher was something like #23 last year. Its possible that a good OT prospect will be there at #18......but dont expect the Steelers to take one.

Texasteel
03-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Tex, 3 years ago, Jeff Otah went #19 to the Panthers....Oher was something like #23 last year. Its possible that a good OT prospect will be there at #18......but dont expect the Steelers to take one.

How many years have we been doing this Gonzo, you did think I was going to quit yell for an OT did you. I believe the if I get an OT this year it will be in the 2nd round and there is 2 that I like quite a bit.

I told you over a month ago that I had a feeling about Weatherspoon, and the feeling is still there and growing.

Please no freakin Spoooooooooooooooooooooooon post after this one.

pete74
03-05-2010, 06:02 AM

Okung
Bulaga
Williams
Brown

i say all these have a chance plus cambell