PDA

View Full Version : Low Tender on Atogwe

SaskSteeler
03-04-2010, 09:46 PM
It looks like the rams put the low tender on Atogwe, if im not mistaken he seems to be a pretty solid safety, and if we could get him for the low it would let us go after another position in round 1 and we would have a solid young veteran playing with Polamalu.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/04/rams-place-low-tender-offer-on-atogwe/

Merchant
03-04-2010, 10:00 PM
I've always liked Atogwe.. one of the few bright spots on a dismal rams team.. if we could get him that'd be a good move in my eyes

RoethlisBURGHer
03-04-2010, 10:12 PM
I think he'd do well playing next to Troy. But if we could somehow keep Clark, that would be perfect, IMHO.

7willBheaven
03-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Low tender...but what pick would have to be given up? His original draft round? Like the low tenders given to Sep/Speath/Gay or what?

Galax Steeler
03-05-2010, 03:29 AM
It don't sound like they want to get rid of him anyway. They are ready to match any offer given to him.

supa_fly_steeler
03-05-2010, 07:11 AM
No thanks would rather keep the draft picks, this class could be very useful

pete74
03-05-2010, 07:20 AM
i would do it if it was a 5th rounder but i seriously doubt thats going to happen

vrabinec
03-05-2010, 07:47 AM
He and Sharper are two guys I wouldn't mind getting if they come at a reasonable price, but I wouldn't give up anything higher than a 4th rounder for them. By the way Randy Thomas was released by the Skins. He's not worth the 70 mil they gave him, but he's still a good guard. I bet he comes a lot cheaper these days, and I think he's got a good 3 or 4 years left in him. Wouldn't mind having him if we got him for 3 or 4 mil a year.

FacemeIke
03-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Rams would probably match any reasonable offer. But, the front office is loving the idea of a Troy and Mays/Thomas secondary during the 2010 decade.

Merchant
03-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Rams would probably match any reasonable offer. But, the front office is loving the idea of a Troy and Mays/Thomas secondary during the 2010 decade.

We still need depth at the position.. We've all seen what happens when Troy goes down

supa_fly_steeler
03-05-2010, 09:17 AM
We still need depth at the position.. We've all seen what happens when Troy goes down

we unleash hell

http://www.markterrybooks.com/uploaded_images/gladiator-2-750342.jpg

Fire Haley
03-05-2010, 09:38 AM
I've never been a fan of going after F/A's - but this year is the exception.

Bodden, Sharper and Mawae are up on the blocks

"We gotta get those guys!"

**** the future - there might not be ANY football after this year.

The F.O. better know that sitting around with their thumbs stuck up their asses while other teams leap ahead of us is a recipe for doom.

Their won't be a salary cap - OR a salary floor - - - don't 'cheap bastard' us now.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-05-2010, 09:47 AM
I've never been a fan of going after F/A's - but this year is the exception.

Bodden, Sharper and Mawae are up on the blocks

"We gotta get those guys!"

**** the future - there might not be ANY football after this year.

The F.O. better know that sitting around with their thumbs stuck up their asses while other teams leap ahead of us is a recipe for doom.

The only guy I would go for of those 3 is Bodden. Mawae is something like 40 years old and 290lbs. Why downgrade the center position to a lighter, older guy that Shaun Rogers would push around??

Sharper, too expensive. Try Will Allen instead.

I honestly dont see us going after any RFA's. Steelers will not give up a draft pick and pay somebody $$$ for a new contract. Otagwe is never gonna happen.

Fire Haley
03-05-2010, 09:53 AM
I'll take Bodden too.

per rotoworld...

Free agent CB Leigh Bodden is drawing interest from at least four teams.
With Dunta Robinson expected to sign in Atlanta, Bodden is the biggest name left on the cornerback market. The Texans, Seahawks, and Steelers are interested in addition to the Patriots. Bodden is believed to be seeking $5-8M per year.

I want Sharper - I wanted him last year and I want him now.

I don't care about the price - there is no cap. dig in those pockets and pay the man.

pete74
03-05-2010, 09:59 AM
i would be happy with sharper for 2 years. he would be a huge step up and it would definatly help our odds at winning another super bowl in that time span

SteelerFanInStl
03-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Atogwe is a very good safety and I'd love to have him on the Steelers. The Rams tendered him at the very lowest level meaning that they have the right to match any offer he gets but if they don't match, the other team doesn't owe them any draft picks. I'm sure that the Rams hope to sign Atogwe to a new contract but this move isn't very popular in the locker room.

He'd look great in Pittsburgh but I don't see it happening. Someone, whether it's the Rams or another team, will pay him a lot of $$.

Fire Haley
03-05-2010, 10:16 AM
I'd steal Boldin away from the Cards too - before the Ratbirds get ahold of him.

That's a good reason to get him right there.

Ward is about on the way out. 1 more SB to retirement.

Spend! Spend! Spend!

Shake up that roster - I demand entertainment!

pete74
03-05-2010, 10:56 AM
i would never pay bolden the top 10 money he wants, he is way to injury prone. atogwe on the other hand i hope we grab. there practically putting him up there for someone to take. his salery is only at a little over a mill and a half so we can grab him for 2 and a half and upgrade the position

steelreserve
03-05-2010, 11:18 AM
It looks like the rams put the low tender on Atogwe, if im not mistaken he seems to be a pretty solid safety, and if we could get him for the low it would let us go after another position in round 1 and we would have a solid young veteran playing with Polamalu.

I've got news for you: We already are going after another position in round 1. Our plan is not to draft a rookie and have him start at safety. Maybe we take a safety if he really is the BPA by far, but otherwise I don't see us doing some panicky knee-jerk reaction like a lot of people seem to think.

I mean, it's not like we were caught unprepared by this. We weren't exactly breaking our necks until the last minute to re-sign Clark and got surprised that we couldn't do it. We've probably got our eyes on Mundy, Lewis, Burnett or Townsend as the starter, or maybe a mid-level free agent (like Clark was when we picked him up to replace Hope).

At any rate, I'd think LB or a lineman (either side of the ball) are a lot more likely to be our high picks; otherwise, whoever falls to us besides a QB/TE.

Fire Haley
03-05-2010, 11:36 AM
We've probably got our eyes on Mundy, Lewis, Burnett or Townsend as the starter,.

NO!
Bite your tongue, sugar tits

mulldog24
03-05-2010, 11:39 AM
I would like to sign Atogwe as I think he would be a good addition to the D-fense, but I also agree with Steelreserve in that the FO has a plan and won't be caught unprepared.

Fire Haley
03-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Yeah - their "plan" is to sit out the first week of free agency....like this is a normal year.

It isn't.

I'd cut Charley Batch and sign Vick too.

If they can't even make the playoffs, at least entertain us.

Northside Jonny
03-05-2010, 12:17 PM

Pretty sure Atogwe is still a pretty solid starter I don't think the steelers will pay the asking price for a guy to be a backup.

Prok
03-05-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm not saying go hog wild in FA.. But age and the damn cardinals stealing quality depth players has caughten up to us in a few areas.

We cannot rely solely on the draft to upgrade our roster imo. I don't want us forced into reaching for a player in 1 or 2 to fill certain needs.

SteelerFanInStl
03-05-2010, 02:32 PM
I've got news for you: We already are going after another position in round 1. Our plan is not to draft a rookie and have him start at safety. Maybe we take a safety if he really is the BPA by far, but otherwise I don't see us doing some panicky knee-jerk reaction like a lot of people seem to think.

I mean, it's not like we were caught unprepared by this. We weren't exactly breaking our necks until the last minute to re-sign Clark and got surprised that we couldn't do it. We've probably got our eyes on Mundy, Lewis, Burnett or Townsend as the starter, or maybe a mid-level free agent (like Clark was when we picked him up to replace Hope).

At any rate, I'd think LB or a lineman (either side of the ball) are a lot more likely to be our high picks; otherwise, whoever falls to us besides a QB/TE.

It wouldn't be a panicky knee-jerk reaction to draft a safety in round 1. Even if Clark would've been re-signed, we would still need a safety. The DBs were the weak link in the defense last year and other than Troy, none of them stand out. We need some help at both CB and safety. Mundy, Lewis, Burnett or Townsend starting at safety is a scary thought to me seeing as how none of them has ever started a game at that position before.

Taking a LB in the first round would be a mistake. We're still very strong at LB and have much more pressing needs elsewhere. We can get a good LB in the 3rd or 4th.

Chidi29
03-05-2010, 06:17 PM
No chance at Bodden. With Robinson locked up, Bodden's price is going to skyrocket. He's really only the other decent corner to be a UFA.

Psyychoward86
03-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Atogwe is madly overrated. I think most of you are paying too much attention to his gaudy stats. Ive seen the Rams play aplenty, and he's pretty much the Ram's roving defensive player (kind of like Troy), they probably wouldnt work together great. Maybe im wrong, i mean he hasnt had the oppurtunity to play for a real defense.

Northside Jonny
03-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Atogwe is madly overrated. I think most of you are paying too much attention to his gaudy stats. Ive seen the Rams play aplenty, and he's pretty much the Ram's roving defensive player (kind of like Troy), they probably wouldnt work together great. Maybe im wrong, i mean he hasnt had the oppurtunity to play for a real defense.

If they could play well together neither one of them would have to put there body up for the team until the postseason. I don't really see Troy as a guy that is hard to co-exist with if you know what I mean.

Psyychoward86
03-05-2010, 09:39 PM
If they could play well together neither one of them would have to put there body up for the team until the postseason. I don't really see Troy as a guy that is hard to co-exist with if you know what I mean.

yeah that's what im saying. Maybe Clark just plays best when he has a rover making all the plays while he surrenders nothing deep. Maybe Atogwe could do that?

SteelerFanInStl
03-06-2010, 08:38 AM

I don't think that it's possible to be overrated when you play on a defense as bad as the Rams. Everyone else in their secondary sucks. If anything, I think that Atogwe could be better if you put him in a good defense with other playmakers. He's not an All Pro but he's a solid safety.

Psyychoward86
03-06-2010, 09:53 AM
I don't think that it's possible to be overrated when you play on a defense as bad as the Rams. Everyone else in their secondary sucks. If anything, I think that Atogwe could be better if you put him in a good defense with other playmakers. He's not an All Pro but he's a solid safety.

a player very well can be. Just ask Ernie Sims.