PDA

View Full Version : Where will Willie sign?

ricardisimo
03-05-2010, 12:50 AM
Any guesses?

Galax Steeler
03-05-2010, 03:29 AM
Texans

Galax Steeler
03-05-2010, 04:02 AM
Tampa Bay had a relatively quiet start to the free agent signing period, but did express interest in at least one player on Friday morning. PewterReport.com is reporting the Bucs have shown interest in Pittsburgh Steelers running back Willie Parker.

The Buccaneers are coming off a 3-13 season, so it's no surprise that the team is looking to improve several areas on its roster.

Tampa Bay was fairly quiet to start the free agent signing period, but did express interest in at least one player on Friday morning. PewterReport.com has learned through sources that the Bucs have shown interest in Pittsburgh Steelers free agent running back Willie Parker.

Parker, 29, has rushed for 5,378 yards (4.3 avg.) and 24 touchdowns and caught 84 passes for 697 yards (8.3 avg.) and five touchdowns in six seasons with the Steelers since entering the NFL as an undrafted free agent out of North Carolina in 2004.

The 5-foot-10, 209-pound Parker posted three straight 1,000-yard rushing seasons from 2005-07. His 75-yard run for a touchdown in Super Bowl XL still stands as the longest run in Super Bowl history. However, the two-time Pro Bowler has rushed for just 1,180 yards over the past two seasons and started just three games last year.

Despite signing RB Derrick Ward to a four-year, $17 million contract and having former first-round pick Cadillac Williams return from two major knee injuries, Tampa Bay's ground game ranked 23rd in the NFL last year. The Bucs also had just one 100-yard rusher in 16 regular season games.

It's unclear what level of interest the Bucs have in acquiring Parker, but Tampa Bay definitely intends to upgrade its running game this offseason whether it's through free agency or the draft.

http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/6782

Rick5895
03-05-2010, 04:25 AM
I would be surprised if he is signed before the draft. If teams don't get what they thought they would in the draft then the market will open up for Willie.

pete74
03-05-2010, 04:38 AM
^^^agreed.

HometownGal
03-05-2010, 06:38 AM
I could see Willie going to the Bucs but I agree with the above that some teams may wait until after the draft to see what they can get at that position.

Bus36RollsUrlacher
03-05-2010, 09:16 AM
I think that he's going to be out of a job for a while, possibly well beyond the draft. Who is really talking about Willie Parker? Not too many people unfortunately. He doesn't really have the burst that he used to, the injuries have come along, and not to mention, there is a pretty decent crop of running backs coming up in the draft. Unless there is an injury someplace, I think it's going to be a while for him.

+NuBbS+
03-05-2010, 09:31 AM
i believe that he'll sign with a team who will use his speed. maybe a seattle or detroit??? detroit has questions after there RB had that nasty knee injury last year...

stb_steeler
03-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Where ever he goes im guessing he'll be a backup.

steelreserve
03-05-2010, 11:28 AM
I don't care. Bucs, Seahawks, Winnipeg Blue Bombers ... as long as it's not Pittsburgh.

kirklandrules
03-05-2010, 12:19 PM
I believe he will sign, hes still fast, and he still runs hard. He was just a victim of dives and plunges on his carries, also rarely given a true blocking fullback. Still be a Parker fan wherever he plays.

Gosh, for a good part of last season I didn't think he ran too hard. He was running like he was made of glass. It was that lack of aggressive running that kept him on the sideline longer than his injury dictated. I loved what he did for us and think he's an inspiration for anyone feeling like an underdog in life, but I don't think he's starter material for the Steelers. Now if he flunks the free agent market and we sign him for a reasonable deal, I'm happy with that.

Northside Jonny
03-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the memories Willie happy trails.

atlsteelers
03-05-2010, 01:06 PM
if he does not get any love from other teams he might be back with us. let his agent shop him and let the market set his value. we might get him back.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-05-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't care. Bucs, Seahawks, Winnipeg Blue Bombers ... as long as it's not Pittsburgh.

Winnipeg doesnt need him. Maybe the Roughriders........or the Rough-riders would be interested. :chuckle:

RoethlisBURGHer
03-05-2010, 01:20 PM
He's going to be a change of pace back and nothing more. I was a Willie fan, but he just doesn't have it anymore. He doesn't have that initial burst and he runs like he's afraid of getting hurt.

NJarhead
03-05-2010, 01:33 PM
San Diego? Jets?

TXSteelerFan
03-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Texans

I don't see that happening as the Texans are happy with Steve Slaton, a younger "Fast Willie".

Other than that I really don't see where he would go to. Man it sure is weird to see so many good running backs enter Free Agency at one time.

ricardisimo
03-05-2010, 03:25 PM
I see Parker as a victim of more than just injuries and age. I think back to how often a supposedly "fast" back was breaking long runs right up the middle - rather than outside - and it just makes me think that he just doesn't fit the scheme (nor the line) any longer.

I'm not sure he's going to set the world on fire elsewhere, but if they've got a FB there, he might surprise everyone. The irony is that if Art gets his way, the Steelers might have wound up being a perfect place for him to play this year.

jollyrob68
03-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the memories but I dont want him back. Its time to let Justin Vincent & Isaac Redman to get their shot plus we can draft a RB.