PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall Joins Fight Against Childhood Obesity

Galax Steeler
03-05-2010, 03:35 AM
A Senate committee hearing on health focused on the childhood obesity today and a Pittsburgh Steelers running back was part of the debate.

"The benefits of good health translate to the classroom where studies show that fit students are less likely to have disciplinary problems," said the Steelers' Rashard Mendenhall. "Healthy students also perform better on standardized tests."

Mendenhall testified today about why he supports the NFL's Play 60 Initiative that encourages kids to play at least 60 minutes a day.

"Schools need to serve healthy food and set higher nutrition standards," said Surgeon General Dr. Regina Benjamin. "Schools should also require physical education classes as well as recess."

Less than a month ago, First Lady Michelle Obama made fighting obesity her top priority.

"It's a nationwide campaign to rally this country around a single ambitious goal, and that is to solve the problem of childhood obesity in a generation. So that the kids born today will reach adulthood at a healthy weight," said Obama.

But will the involvement of the First Lady or even an NFL star guarantee success?

"Role models are great. I think it's wonderful that they come out and start bringing attention to this. The First Lady's efforts on this are commendable, but people need to start answering to this and take responsibility," said Erin McClelland, of Arche Wellness. "They need to listen to the message and interpret into action in their own home and start really exercising these principles that they are hearing."

And perhaps more will listen to Mendenhall's suggestion that it's time to work harder at playing more.

"That kids understand it's not just playing sports, it's about doing what you are interested in - whatever that is," he said. "Whether it's jump-roping - or with me something I'm personally interested in a lot is dancing - and I've taken numerous dance classes to move myself and I've actually taught a couple classes to high schools in my area."

http://kdka.com/steelers/Rashard.Mendenhall.Senate.2.1537628.html

Edman
03-05-2010, 08:34 AM
"Role models are great. I think it's wonderful that they come out and start bringing attention to this. The First Lady's efforts on this are commendable, but people need to start answering to this and take responsibility," said Erin McClelland, of Arche Wellness. "They need to listen to the message and interpret into action in their own home and start really exercising these principles that they are hearing."

This pretty much sums it up. We can campaign and start all these foundations against obesity all we like, but until parents start cooperating our children will continue to be fat. Simple as that. And considering how defensive parents are nowadays about their irresponsibility, I don't see this working much.

Kids will be out all day in school probably playing recess and stuff then come and get stuffed with chicken, cake, and McDonald's. It's counteractive.

WH
03-06-2010, 10:07 AM
The title of this thread makes me picture Rashard beating up a bunch of fat little kids.

GBMelBlount
03-06-2010, 12:50 PM
I wonder if Hampton is helping out...

Just sayin.