PDA

View Full Version : Take a shot: Keenan Lewis at FS

steelerfan821
03-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Could this work? Lewis has good size and decent speed. Not much experience at the position. He has good cover skills and seemed like he played well in college.

supa_fly_steeler
03-05-2010, 09:35 AM
I wouldnt test him at Free Safety immediatley starting... could have some regrettable memories, if we had a free safety capable of starting let lewis play the free safety as a backup.

mulldog24
03-05-2010, 11:06 AM
I think this might work. There have been some other notable guys who have moved to safety form other positions like Antrel Rolle cb to S, C. Horton played cb at UCLA and moved to S for the Redskins so I don't see why K.Lewis can't do the same. He had a very good camp last year and has a year in the system to work in his favor.

steelreserve
03-05-2010, 11:06 AM
I've heard that both Burnett and Lewis could be tried at safety, and Townsend can play it as well.

Bsaically, a CB can make the switch to S relatively simply, but not the other way around. Kind of like how guitar players can play the bass without much extra practice, but bass players can't play guitar.

pete74
03-05-2010, 12:00 PM
nobody knows and its definatly possible. whoever goes into camp and steps up will get the job. lewis is a possibility

Northside Jonny
03-05-2010, 12:11 PM
He has the size and speed I don't see why not at least see if he can compete and win the job. Good thread I brought this up on another thread a couple days ago. It seems possible considering Burnett got more playing time last season even though he was the lower draft. I wonder if Lewis was taking the year as a understudy to Clark?

JPbucco
03-05-2010, 05:53 PM
It's tougher to find a corner than safety. Don't you think we should try him there first.

Rookie DBs take awhile to learn our defense, let's not give up on Lewis yet.

Chidi29
03-05-2010, 08:44 PM
I get what you're saying, but I hate to make the positions so black and white and make it out to be that you can take any corner and have him play free safety. I dunno, that just seems too simplified.

From the little we saw of him last year, he seems like a hard hitter a la Clark. But like Mundy, I am a bit concerned about how aggressive he might be, especially since he's young.

Overall, I'd like for him to stay healthy and earn a hat on special teams before being moved up just as guys like mundy and Burnett are in the process of doing.

Northside Jonny
03-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Remember Chidi the more comp. the better!

solardave
03-06-2010, 06:39 AM
I think he along with Deshea will get a shot at FS. I think between this 2 and Burnett one of them could pull it off. I believe that is why no tender was given to Ryan Clark. This and the fact that his agent is an A...hole.

AllD
03-06-2010, 07:32 AM
Townsend cannot be expected to start 16 games at FS and be effective without significant backup. He will be targeted because of his age and run out of gas in the 4thQ.

SteelerFanInStl
03-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Did everyone forget that Townsend is a UFA? I haven't even heard anything about the Steelers being interested in re-signing him, let alone making him the starting FS.

Chidi29
03-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Did everyone forget that Townsend is a UFA? I haven't even heard anything about the Steelers being interested in re-signing him, let alone making him the starting FS.

This. Colbert said before the offseaon that they weren't going to offer him a contract to him beforehand and might only do so after free agency began. You gotta think the level of interest is low and rightfully so. Deshea really struggled as the nickel back.

Cmdurand21
03-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Townsend has had a good run, but it is time to let him go. I'd be happy to see him retire a Steeler. Maybe if there is an injury of some sort we could bring him back. Or hire him to Mentor the younger players. I wouldn't be happy if he is going to be our Free Safety. They need speed, and deshea has clearly lost a step.

I also don't agree on giving up on Lewis yet. Good cornerbacks are far harder to come by , and It takes college kids time to get used to the speed of the game. Let's address the FS position some other way.